• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

SerTapTap

header47ub7.png

*$18 with PS+ at launch (cross buy for both Playstation versions even if the Vita version isn't out yet).
**There will be no further sales on the game for at least 6 months. "We are planning on announcing any sales months in advance so players don’t have to worry about paying full price and being surprised by a price drop the next day."

featureso5u7i.png

• 2D Metroidvania in the vein of...well, Metroid
  • Mysterious story with an existential vibe
  • Retro styled graphics with a purpose. Deliberate glitches tied to story/gameplay
  • Collectables that affect all/most of your weapons rather than minor ammo expansions
  • A total of
    _21_
    weapons
  • A total of
    _16_
    tools/traversal powers
  • Collectable lore/story items. Reveal the events of Sudra as you explore.
  • Fully remappable controls
  • Speedrun mode to limit RNG and remove cutscenes for single-session playthroughs.
  • Platinum trophy and trophies to encourage replay

Spoiler Etiquette:
Being a game focused on exploration, the upgrades you get, shortcuts you find and areas you explore could all be considered spoilers in addition to bosses and story elements. Be courteous when posting and mark spoilers clearly (eg: Boss Spoiler:
Bowser rules
).

trailersyzuw6.png

screenshots3oux7.png

reviewsf7utj.png

NeoGAF Review Thread

Jeff Gerstmann - Giantbomb (5/5) (Warning: The end of the quick look has very lategame spoilers)
It looks great, controls really well, and has a level of difficulty that makes things challenging without making them overtly frustrating. If you've ever been into this sort of action-adventure game, Axiom Verge is positively terrific.
Playstation Universe (9/10)

Axiom Verge is an all-too rare occurrence in video games; a true-to-form experience that effortlessly negotiates the gulf between originality and that of paying an explicit homage to a bygone era by injecting just enough modern sensibility to make the adventure stand independently amongst its peers. All without pandering, diluting or straying too far from the blueprint set forth by games of similar ilk all those years ago. At its apex, Tom Happ's brainchild unequivocally proves just how far video game development has come in such a short space of time and that you can in fact teach an old dog new tricks.
Gamespot (8/10)
Axiom Verge is a game that's easy to fall in love with because it hits so many high notes. It takes the Metroidvania model and adds layers of ingenuity that are in a league all of their own, the most notable being the Address Disruptor. Yes it's occasionally drab looking, and some enemies may not fit in with the rest of the world, but when a game is this good, these blemishes quickly fade into the back of your mind. The chilling sci-fi setting, mysterious plot, and a seemingly endless number of abilities keep your mind busy, and your curiosity at fever pitch.

It's not a stretch to say that Axiom Verge is better than the games that inspired it, because it's so inventive and thoughtfully crafted. There's no excuse to hold onto the past when the present is this amazing.

linksoju79.png

PS4 Store page (You can't preorder)
Developer info (yep, one guy)
Offical Sound Track (bandcamp), also on other services. I personally recommend only listening to up to track 4 before playing the game if you want to avoid music spoilers.
Full guide (disclaimer: made by yours truly)

Many thanks to dancrane212 for helping out with the banners and designing the OP!
Disclosure: I was provided a review copy of Axiom Verge for PS4 and preview code for PC but am otherwise unaffiliated with Axiom Verge or Tom Happ.

Vire

I like that another Metroidvania exists and is apparently pretty good, but the repetition of environments is really bumming me out.

SerTapTap

BTW I'm making a little guide (and a map!) that I'll release at launch. Not in OT because self promo of course. But I'll make a normal post when I can. I should be able to field most questions (I've beaten the game 3 times including on hard) but I strongly recommend avoiding spoilers and pushing through alone until you beat the game at least once!

Also, if anyone knows how to get a certain item in the top left of Eribu, please PM me or something immediately. 98%. Suffering.

I like that another Metroidvania exists and is apparently pretty good, but the repetition of environments is really bumming me out.

I wouldn't worry about that, if you mean the images in the OP they're deliberately from the very first area in the game, I don't want to spoil cool stuff. But there is totally cool stuff.

Grimløck;158190325 said:
looks great. is there a playtime estimate?

Don't get too hung up on it as times will surely vary, but I beat the game with about 75% in about
_12_
hours.

Vire

BTW I'm making a little guide (and a map!) that I'll release at launch. Not in OT because self promo of course. But I'll make a normal post when I can. I should be able to field most questions (I've beaten the game 3 times including on hard) but I strongly recommend avoiding spoilers and pushing through alone until you beat the game at least once!

Also, if anyone knows how to get a certain item in the top left of Eribu, please PM me or something immediately. 98%. Suffering.

I wouldn't worry about that, if you mean the images in the OP they're deliberately from the very first area in the game, I don't want to spoil cool stuff. But there is totally cool stuff.

Don't get too hung up on it as times will surely vary, but I beat the game with about 75% in about
_12_
hours.

Alright, that's a bit encouraging. I mentioned it because I just watched the Giant Bomb quick look and everything just looked a little samey. It worries me because I have THE WORST sense of direction imaginable unfortunately. So I feel like I might get lost a bit in here.

But I definitely love this style of game.

Yeah!

I knew about this game, but I wasn't really interested until they started showing the game more.

I also was spoiled by the late game stuff, and now I'm extremely hyped for this. But I'll have to wait for the PC version >.>

Anyway, great OT!

SerTapTap

Alright, that's a bit encouraging. I mentioned it because I just watched the Giant Bomb quick look and everything just looked a little samey. It worries me because I have THE WORST sense of direction imaginable unfortunately. So I feel like I might get lost a bit in here.

But I definitely love this style of game.
There's a map of course. And the areas...I think you'll remember their look/sound/feel. It's a learning experience but I was rarely lost (then again this is hardly my first rodeo).

That's a fucking lot of review codes right there.

I dunno if it's that, I own it and I still don't see an option to rate it.

A new Metroid-style game? Alright, I'm on board.

Amazing music and cool weapon designs? Alright this game needs to be in my hands.

The reviews mentioning the game in the same breath as Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night? Holy dear god please someone hold me.

I played the PS4 kiosk demo at Best Buy. Within five minutes I was already sold. I can't wait to tear into it tomorrow and see if the reviews are a pack of lies or if we really do have a new masterpiece in the wings.

SerTapTap

A new Metroid-style game? Alright, I'm on board.

Amazing music and cool weapon designs? Alright this game needs to be in my hands.

The reviews mentioning the game in the same breath as Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night? Holy dear god please someone hold me.

I played the PS4 kiosk demo at Best Buy. Within five minutes I was already sold. This game is basically made for me personally. I can't wait to tear into it tomorrow and see if the reviews are a pack of lies or if we really do have a new masterpiece in the wings.

All I can say is honestly the demo is the most boring part of the game. It's still pretty great, but it feels much closer to Metroid than the overall game does. The game solidifies it's own identity around
the third boss

"to limit RNG"

What RNG type stuff is there in this game?

Enemy AI mostly, and health drops from enemies I guess, as well as...uh...can't really talk about this without spoilers.
Certain optional areas are procedural and house power ups. I know it's fun to hate procedural things but uh, you've gotta see 'em to believe them

Has the developer mentioned if the game is going to be compatible with the PSTV? Would much rather play the game on my television than a handheld so I'll be waiting the PC version if not.

Wasp

I agree with this. I wish the game had a more interesting colour palette and more varied environments.

Unkle

I loved it. It's really rather good. (As you can see from the review under Gerstmann's one). It scratches that old-school Metroid itch that PlayStation gamers hadn't been able to yet. We're getting spoiled with these quality indie titles!

vulva

Really excited for this one but twenty bucks is a bit more than I should spend on a game right now, even at eighteen I probably shouldn't. I'll either buy at full price when I have less obligations or it's on sale for like ten.

AsfaeksBR

Looks amazing, but it'll probably more "suitable" for the Vita.
I want it, but I'm pretty sure I won't play it on the PS4 and I don't know
if
when I'll get a Vita...

SerTapTap

It's fantastic on PS4. I don't get the "better for Vita" stuff. IMO this game is best played with a pair of headphones (or good speakers with some bass), a DS4 in your hands and your ass sat 3 feet from the TV like a little kid. Drink it all in.

I agree with this. I wish the game had a more interesting colour palette and more varied environments.

I can post some major area spoilers behind a link (and I'd probably wait until launch to do that) if people really really want to be sure the area variation is good enough, but I will say that there are
_9_
major areas with multiple variations in visual style within each individual area as well.

If you're worried the whole game looks like the same Metroid cave and everything has the same color palette...you really shouldn't be.

Has the developer mentioned if the game is going to be compatible with the PSTV? Would much rather play the game on my television than a handheld so I'll be waiting the PC version if not.

Asked on Twitter, " It's almost certain, but, there is always the possibility of unforseen issues."

What are the controls like

I need a comprehensive breakdown plz

Pretty great? d pad to move + aim a la Contra (left stick works, but don't you do it), square to shoot, x to jump, right stick controls a weapon wheel (that works quite well), LR3 are quick weapon change slots. Shoulder buttons are there for Drill, Glitch, lock aim and ???. Circle is ???, triangle is ???. I never had a problem with the controls (though switching between more than 3 weapons in a boss fight is a good way to die), but they're fully remappable. The drill is pressure sensitive, goes faster/extends the more you press on it. So good.

georly

**There will be no further sales on the game for at least 6 months. "We are planning on announcing any sales months in advance so players don’t have to worry about paying full price and being surprised by a price drop the next day."

Can't wait to get this game, but that quote alone makes me love and respect them even more. They will get full price from me for their candor and good will.

Also it's absolutely mind-blowing and inspiring that just ONE dude did all the code/art/music. I've always wanted to make my own game, but I'm not nearly talented enough to do my own music, much less art.

It's fantastic on PS4. I don't get the "better for Vita" stuff. IMO this game is best played with a pair of headphones (or good speakers with some bass), a DS4 in your hands and your ass sat 3 feet from the TV like a little kid. Drink it all in.

I think it's a combination of two things that are really just one thing, beyond just basic preference for the handheld format.

1) A lot of players under 25 started playing games after the 3D standardization. For us, pixel-art games are associated with the Game Boy Advance, which included both Zero Mission and Fusion in its catalog. The Castlevanias on the DS, often considered the peak of Castlevania beyond SotN, were also handheld. So not only is this a presentation style we have possibly only ever played on handhelds, but it's a genre we have played primarily on handhelds.

2) The idea of sitting three feet from the television playing a side scroller isn't what a lot of modern players associate with console play, and because of when they started gaming it is NEVER what they associate with console play. It doesn't make them feel like a kid. Sitting in bed constantly changing position and angle trying to clear a difficult level at an arm's length makes them feel like a kid.

Vire

We need more metroidvania games, I don't feel that there have been enough released lately.

I dunno, 2015 seems like a pretty big year for Metroidvanias.

Ori and the Blind Forest, Axiom Verge and Ghost Song later this year.

Mikey Jr.

I am really surprised by how well this has been received.

Buying it on PS4 tomorrow. Gotta juggle this with Bloodborne.

JPS Kai

Oh, woops. There's a review thread. Don't mind me, just felt like chiming in about how much hard mode frustrated me.

Top Bottom