• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3 Patch 2 to introduce Character Epilogues and other major improvements

Draugoth

Gold Member
Patch 2 is around the corner. It features major performance improvements, many new tweaks & changes, and begins our journey incorporating feedback into Origin Character epilogues, among other major things. Details coming soon.

Expansions are being discussed:

“We’ll carry on patching for a while and then we’re all going to take a holiday and then we’ll figure out what we do next. But at the moment, we genuinely have discussions. We want to do more. We don’t know what yet.”

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So does this mean Act 3 will be complete, or just a bit less incomplete?

(Haven't played the game yet, waiting for the PS5 release, but I heard the last part is a bit lacking at the moment.)

jm89

Pc beta testers.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Good for me.i guess considering I haven't jumped in yet, just will be an even better experience. Is this patch also for consoles or only pc?

yamaci17

im glad i skipped playing it at launch
ill play starfield + cyber dlc + ac mirage and then return to bg3. hopefully all issues will be fixed by then

It's amazing to watch Larian be so responsive. I'm making my way through act III now and hope I catch some of the fixes, but I haven't run into anything game breaking my entire run.

Despite the crashes this is one of the best games I've ever played.

Much respect for Larian.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
73 hours, just reached ACT3. By the time karlak epilogue hits I'll probably still be at the beginning of act 3 lol. No reason to wait.

peish

Does this big patch applies to a current saves or we need to start all over again?
A break for Starfield i guess?

I'm glad that this developer is so trusted to deliver on this, otherwise this would have been the biggest swindle/finesse move since Cyberpunk.

It still kind of is when you think about it, but at least to a lesser extent because people don't seem as upset.

I'm glad that this developer is so trusted to deliver on this, otherwise this would have been the biggest swindle/finesse move since Cyberpunk.

It still kind of is when you think about it, but at least to a lesser extent because people don't seem as upset.
Lol, it is a swindle it’s just that reviewers didn’t get to the 3rd Act and failed to see it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cool. Hopefully it's fully patched by the time it releases on Xbox later this year and all the things they want to add are done.

Last edited:

Catphish

Did anyone else here get to act 3 and pause their campaign? I was planning to finish the game before patch 1 until I learned it contained +1000 bugfixes.
I'm more or less fresh into the third act; just been wandering around the area mapping everything out. I just hit a bug where Gale is mad at me in camp for something that never happened. Gonna wait on patch 2 now before proceeding.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
In no way did I say this is a bad game. You're too blinded by liking it to understand what me and midasmulligan midasmulligan are pointing out.

What both youre pointing, more stupidly by the other guy, is that game has bugs. All games have bugs. Some less, some more but this is a massive 150 hour CRPG, where there are hundreds of possibilities and outcomes. Ofc there are going to be more bugs to squash compared to a 10 hour action game. Go play the game.

Guilty_AI

In no way did I say this is a bad game. You're too blinded by liking it to understand what me and midasmulligan midasmulligan are pointing out.
Yes, i understand that neither of you played the game. Its fine if you feel a bit let down by some things, or even didn't like the game for whatever reason, but a "swindle"? Its an utterlly ridiculous statement, for anyone familiar with the game or the genre.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

man i hope it improves perfoamnce on act 3, my laptop just doesnt hold up to it even though it has a 3070
Act 3 is very CPU heavy so the gpu doesn't matter as much. If your laptop has any energy saving setting on, i imagine disabling them could help.

Yes, i understand that neither of you played the game. Its fine if you feel a bit let down by some things, or even didn't like the game for whatever reason, but a "swindle"? Its an utterlly ridiculous statement, for anyone familiar with the game or the genre.
What both youre pointing, more stupidly by the other guy, is that game has bugs. All games have bugs. Some less, some more but this is a massive 150 hour CRPG, where there are hundreds of possibilities and outcomes. Ofc there are going to be more bugs to squash compared to a 10 hour action game. Go play the game.
As someone who has defended MGS V in the past, I'm actually trying to empathize with the people who really like this game, but at the same time look at this situation objectively. I have also played Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. Granted, I played them both in 2020, years after they released and were ironed out.

This is what I'm seeing for this game:

-They're making improvements to the 3rd act of the game.
-That is the act that multiple people have pointed out feels undercooked in multiple ways.
-It also has performance issues in this act

-My take is that from a certain perspective, I could understand why a small audience who have been playing this game nonstop and have already reached that act or have completed it, would be upset at this because they would feel like the rug was pulled under them by all of the hype and great reviews.

-My take is also that thankfully, this dev is a favored dev right now and that the first two portions of this game are beyond great, and people are much more forgiving towards this entire situation, because otherwise this would have been terrible backlash for not only Larian, but also the state of the industry.

Hopefully this post clears things up and you're both taking a step back to look at this objectively, and not continuing to do the equivalent of this image because you think I'm talking bad about this game:

swords-flynn-rider.gif

Guilty_AI

As someone who has defended MGS V in the past, I'm actually trying to empathize with the people who really like this game, but at the same time look at this situation objectively. I have also played Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. Granted, I played them both in 2020, years after they released and were ironed out.

This is what I'm seeing for this game:

-They're making improvements to the 3rd act of the game.
-That is the act that multiple people have pointed out feels undercooked in multiple ways.
-It also has performance issues in this act

-My take is that from a certain perspective, I could understand why a small audience who have been playing this game nonstop and have already reached that act or have completed it, would be upset at this because they would feel like the rug was pulled under them by all of the hype and great reviews.

-My take is also that thankfully, this dev is a favored dev right now and that the first two portions of this game are beyond great, and people are much more forgiving towards this entire situation, because otherwise this would have been terrible backlash for not only Larian, but also the state of the industry.

Hopefully this post clears things up and you're both taking a step back to look at this objectively, and not continuing to do the equivalent of this image because you think I'm talking bad about this game:

swords-flynn-rider.gif
Comparing it with MGSV is much more reasonable (though BG3 is still in a way better state that that). But that isn't what you did, you compared it with cyberpunk and tried to imply a swidling scenario as if they had tricked people into thinking the game was something it wasn't.

You should at least understand that this first terrible take of yours is the reason we're discussing in the first place.

Last edited:
Comparing it with MGSV is much more reasonable (though BG3 is still in a way better state that that). But that isn't what you did, you compared it with cyberpunk and tried to imply a swidling scenario as if they had tricked people into thinking the game was something it wasn't.

You should at least understand that this first terrible take of yours is the reason we're discussing in the first place.
Fair point and I see what happened here. You took my Cyberpunk comparison as a 1:1 comparison, which is why you and The Cockatrice The Cockatrice jumped at my comment like that. I never stated that this game is broken. I was more bringing up the issue of 'Game is being reviewed and hyped up as X' and it turns out that X has a bunch of asterisks next to it. That, objectively on paper, can be a rug pulling feeling, sort of like a swindle. A lot of people still felt swindled by MGS V. People even feel swindled today by the FF 16 amazing demo to 'just ok' full game experience. It happens.

You two can get mad at that audience for feeling that way if they do(especially the hardcore audience who already beat this game or are deep into act 3), but they're justified in what they feel because the devs made an error even though they're now correcting it. The hardcore audience is who I'm referencing when bringing this up and these issues the game has. If anyone here says 'don't trust them', then who in the world can I trust? lol.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Fair point and I see what happened here. You took my Cyberpunk comparison as a 1:1 comparison, which is why you and The Cockatrice The Cockatrice jumped at my comment like that. I never stated that this game is broken. I was more bringing up the issue of 'Game is being reviewed and hyped up as X' and it turns out that X has a bunch of asterisks next to it. That, objectively on paper, can be a rug pulling feeling, sort of like a swindle. A lot of people still felt swindled by MGS V. People even feel swindled today by the FF 16 amazing demo to 'just ok' full game experience. It happens.

You two can get mad at that audience for feeling that way if they do(especially the hardcore audience who already beat this game or are deep into act 3), but they're justified in what they feel because the devs made an error even though they're now correcting it. The hardcore audience is who I'm referencing when bringing this up and these issues the game has. If anyone here says 'don't trust them', then who in the world can I trust? lol.
Honestly i see no one getting mad at aside from a few posters on Steam Forums (big surprise), with most of them just trying to drag it into culture war conversations. Then one guy (who also didn't play the game) decided to bring one of such posts here on GAF to make some big critique on it (again, didn't play the game), despite said post even containing objectively false information.

The fact is, most of the people complaining aren't hardcore fans, but often people didn't even play it (this thread is proof of it). Go on steam reviews, filter by time played if you must to make sure you only get people with 50-100 hours or more, it'll still remain overwhelmingly positive.

Honestly i see no one getting mad at aside from a few posters on Steam Forums (big surprise), with most of them just trying to drag it into culture war conversations. Then one guy (who also didn't play the game) decided to bring one of such posts here on GAF to make some big critique on it (again, didn't play the game), despite said post even containing objectively false information.

The fact is, most of the people complaining aren't hardcore fans, but often people didn't even play it (this thread is proof of it). Go on steam reviews, filter by time played if you must to make sure you only get people with 50-100 hours or more, it'll still remain overwhelmingly positive.
That's good news then. I have been seeing a slow, very slow admittedly, turn on this game, as more and more people get to the third portion of the game. It's less anger and more subtle disappointment, because it drags them back into the harsh reality of the current times we are in when it comes to gaming(multiple bugs, unfinished content, optimization failures, etc).

I was personally worried that Larian would not be able to address this before the larger majority managed to get to this portion of the game, thus swaying opinion on it. I'm glad I'm wrong on this because they deserve this level of stardom as a company.

That's good news then. I have been seeing a slow, very slow admittedly, turn on this game, as more and more people get to the third portion of the game. It's less anger and more subtle disappointment, because it drags them back into the harsh reality of the current times we are in when it comes to gaming(multiple bugs, unfinished content, optimization failures, etc).

I was personally worried that Larian would not be able to address this before the larger majority managed to get to this portion of the game, thus swaying opinion on it. I'm glad I'm wrong on this because they deserve this level of stardom as a company.

Blah Blah Blah Monday GIF by tot Ou tard

Guilty_AI

Theres no turn of opinion. If anything user reviews have been increasing in value 🤷‍♂️. Its just that, as with every big release to critical and player acclaim, there'll always be people trying to complain or drag it down. Sometimes with fair but over exaggerated points of criticism, other times because they just want to hate on popular things or that particular game/genre. We saw it with Elden Ring, we saw it with Zelda, we're now seeing it again with Starfield and AC6.

Top Bottom