• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco trademarks Tales of Zestiria the X, Tales of the Rays in Europe

MilkBeard

I disagree. Tales of Xillia 1/2 are the best tales games other than Abyss, not including Vesperia or anything before PS2 as I haven't played them and can't make any judgement on them, or Zesteria which I haven't gotten to yet.

Yeah I don't really understand how people say they are going down in quality. Tales have been the same since day 1 in my opinion. It's only that it was a newer series back then. Xillia is a good game, and what I've played of Zestiria is pretty good as well (about 15 hours in).

I loved Tales of Destiny but I can't say it was any better in quality than the newer games.

EDIT:

Tell me about it. Ten hours into Zestiria and it's been nothing but a complete mess.

It's comments like this I don't really understand. Which version are you playing? The PS4 version runs solid. The game itself has some setbacks, but it also has strengths over previous games. I don't see how it is a change of quality any different from previous titles.

Of the last 3 mainline Tales of games 2 of them had serious issues and all of them related to being rushed to release and one has a severe case of asset reuse and messy messy story.

I swear, I keep buying the games because I want to support the series in the west but after playing Zestira I am seriously considering to not bother anymore.

Tell me about it. Ten hours into Zestiria and it's been nothing but a complete mess.

Jenny

Banned
Maybe Tales of Rays is a fake name and its really Tales of Vesperia PS4/PC!!!!

Raven's Awesome, Yuri's Sexy! R-A-Y-S!
I'll never give up! >_<

But regardless more Tales the better! Others may disagree but I've loved every Tales games thats been released in the west and found Xillia 1/2 and Zestiria amazing and Graces F is my second favorite tales game out there. The only complaint I have if I could make one if that I'd want them to experiment more with with different artstyles. Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Hearts etc... all have unique and different artstyles but both Xillia's and Zestiria and what little of we have seen of Beseria look pretty similar, outside of that they feel fresh and are still my GOTY for whenever the west gets one of them ^_^

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Remember how during the PS2 era, most JRPG's were always shitted on because they did NOTHING new and were basically the same game with different stories?

Who would be crazy enough to say this? PS2-era RPGs had some of the most varied and diverse gameplay styles ever. Growlanser series (started on PS1 but the majority of the series is on PS2), Nocturne, Persona 3, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, BOF: Dragon Quarter, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, DQ8 for the traditional RPG turned to 11, Wild Arms 4, NIS SRPGs putting new twists on the genre, FF12 and its divisive 'offline MMO' gameplay. If anything, I know the amount of variety on the system turned some of my friends (who are more into traditional RPGs) off!

Sifl

I feel like every Tales game I play is worse then the previous since Vesperia. I only got like 5 hours into Zestiria before I became uninterested.

I'd agree with you if I didn't think the quality has dropped significantly over the last several releases. Vesperia was the last one I'd say was really good. The series feels stale now.

Agreed. Xillia wasn't bad... it was just forgettable. Vesperia has stuck with me so strongly, I hope to have another similar experience within the series soon

Of the last 3 mainline Tales of games 2 of them had serious issues and all of them related to being rushed to release and one has a severe case of asset reuse and messy messy story.

I swear, I keep buying the games because I want to support the series in the west but after playing Zestira I am seriously considering to not bother anymore.

I'm not to far into Zestiria, but I've heard nothing but good things. Is it really that bad?

I liked Xillia and Xillia 2 for what its worth.

Tales is quickly becoming the Call of Duty of JRPG's.

They've actually slowed down a bit compared to what they were at during the PS2 generation. Back then there was Rebirth, Legendia and Abyss, all 3 main line games, coming out within the span of a single year. Whereas there was a two year gap between Xillia 2 and Zestiria.

As far as the series recent quality goes, I honestly wouldn't put Vesperia any higher than any of the more recent games. Aside from it clearly having better production values, the game mechanics were just kind of boring and the story was just kind of meh. Really loved the characters though.

Top Bottom