• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

ultron87

I suppose we could just say "no self voting with 3 players left" since that's probably the only time it is definitely throwing the game.

Yeah, I've been arguing for a long time that it's good to let players self-vote, because it can be useful to (to paraphrase Flame_AC in Bloodborne) "Get it over with and let everyone else move on the the next day." That being said, I think we've sort of cultivated an attitude of defeat in Gafia, where if more that a couple of people start voting on a person, that person just gives up and lets themselves die. We shouldn't be doing this. We should be fighting to the very end.

So yeah, I'm inclined to say no more self-votes.

EDIT: As a side note, I'm pretty sure self-votes didn't used to be allowed. I didn't think I could do it in Animal Crossing, but then Crab let me.

Not giving up is how I managed to pull of my win condition.

I agree with roy that the issue is throwing the game, not self-voting. Giving up on Day 1 doesn't change much of anything. Giving up on the last day basically ruins the entire game for everyone. If you're not inactive for some reason (can't fault people for IRL reasons no matter when they happen), play until the end.

Overall I think the gamerunners did the best they could (please no more 72 hour nights ever) but inactivity, modkills, general disinterest, and the ending left a sour note on the entire proceedings.

Day 6:

Night 6: Timeaisis is dead

Maybe my favorite moment of the game. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

And no one wondered why you were still alive after that night.

And no one wondered why you were still alive after that night.

Well, my main defense then would've been that I was left alive because I was a consistent lynch candidate during days, whereas Timeaisis was never in danger of being lynched, which makes him a bigger threat in the late game

*Splinter

Well, my main defense then would've been that I was left alive because I was a consistent lynch candidate during days, whereas Timeaisis was never in danger of being lynched, which makes him a bigger threat in the late game
Tracker is one of the most powerful roles town can have.

cabot

If town, you had a 33% chance to find scum in the act of killing in Day 8, would you keep that person alive as a scum?

That's ignoring Gorlak being confirmed before, and nin being cleared by a cop.

CSCoQ92.gif

eD5xkFo.gif

cabot

Alright, my view from the other non-playing side.

This game was troublesome for both teams, with both making a number of mistakes along the way. I'll start with

Scum

- Covered in spec thread, but Dragonz fake claim at day 1 end was not discussed in detail by scum overnight, and frankly it showed the next day. I felt Dragonz claim was really bad and if I played I'd have went for her flip that day since claims that both overcomplicate things with vague details are something I'd rather clear up with a flip than relying on later results.
- While ttk won in the end, and he kept up the positive mentality (a great trait to have as a first time player and scum combo), I do think he made mistakes. He kept saying he'd vote Dragonz numerous times without ever committing to a vote, his track targets made little sense as 'town', towards the mid-late game he really kept relying too much on his Dragonz bus, to the point where it should have been picked up. He claimed Tracker, even avoiding an x-shot claim. Not a good play when you are a quite important PR when its coming to end game.
- The scum chat was active however, which was good. Only Retroid was quiet, the other members were pretty active for the most part.
- I actually thought batsnacks was probably the most consistent player overall. I know Ouro had some suspicions as well as Gorlak, but he had solid logic when posting and felt like normal batsnacks play to be honest. I think his mistake was completely avoiding scum partners except when he absolutely had to get involved. I think if the Arsonist hadn't killed him, there was a decent chance he'd be NKed by scum if Gorlak wasn't able to lead a train on him (which scum would have went for because they never suspected him as spy).
- Never Forever did well to come in here and almost instantly sway MattyG to believe in him, and I love him for that. I think he sort of went on Gorlak too hard and too fast, but hell it was near deadline and scum looked good to win, so I can see the reasoning.
- I was surprised ttk chose to lynch MattyG on Nighty 8. Reasons, ttk? was it because he was practically confirmed town? Out of the three remaining I was sure he was the easiest to sway onto your side to hammering the other townie. I think that was clear in his reaction to finding out you were scum! I kind of leaned towards Gorlak going for nin before his self implosion, but I definitely think lynching Gorlak would have been the best kill that night.

So yeah you guys were active and that was good though you should have discussed WAMD's claim. I think if a more experienced player (one who had played both town and scum well) would probably have led you to a quicker victory than this one. You were a solid squad just needing that glorious leader to keep the little errors from creepin' you.

Town

- We see again and again the problems with lynching active players early. Leave the scum to kill actives, and if an active is living for a long time, then you can start to question their alignment. Please do not kill the most active people on day 1 or day 2.
- Gorlak, you mentioned what you thought about your role. Your problem was trying to assign motive as to why Kawl and I as moderators made this role. Look at the role alone. You should've saw your role, and thought it's probably to throw off an investigative role. Then consider your alignment, so the role you counter is more likely to be non-town. Do not try to think of the moderator, think of the role and roleclaims in the game.
- Regardless of Gorlak's role,, a D2 claimed town tracker would not be alive at end game, unless a doctor was alive. Come on guys. That role is far too dangerous.
- Crab's JOAT gambit was great, and led scum to wasting a kill on him thinking they were hitting a PR. They almost used the strong kill on him, which would have been even better.
- Barrylocke shot Kyan, but sadly did not disclose this before he was burned to a crisp. Unfortunate, but at least Kyan died not so long after anyway.
- Catvoca/Mazre chose good targets. Not just 'oh they were all vanilla clears' but pretty much all players who were playing very difficult games that were not coming off as town. Gorlak ended up kind of nullifying Mazre's reads which was unfortunate, and someone should have probably tried to play devil's advocate since they already flipped a Goon, 2 Goons in one game is a stretch. Mazre's play to put pressure on nin to finally admit his claims were fake and he was in fact ordinary was also a good play.
- A shame about Exo, his name claim/fake claim made sense, but I guess you've got to act fairly proactive to avoid suspicion in the first place. It all sort of came about because you didn't seem particularly invested in the game, one to remember for play later if you want out of D1, just contribute.
- Kudos to Barrylocke for dealing correctly with the Date chat, even though it meant there was no influencing fun to be had in the mixed alignment chat.
- I still barely understand what Dusk Soldier posts.
- Salva saved a scum with a fake soft claim then no one seemed to really care the following day. This puzzled me.

Neutrals

- RIP Kitty. You had a super hard win condition but a pretty fun role, so sorry and not sorry about that. You were taken from us too soon, your great night 1 chat will not be forgotten.
- Splinter trying to take control of that situation was both hilarious and absolutely what I expected from the lover.
- Hyper was kind of all over the shop but somehow chose a scum and town target before CornBro subbed in, so all he had to do was survive. Yeah, I'm not downplaying it, he did great. He was under significant pressure from the off, and his insta-gambit was bold enough to make Town go from 'let's lynch this fool' to 'uhhh maybe we should wait guys' and eventually nin did his nin thing and fucked town tied the vote. There was a chance CB could still lose, if he had hit Kyan, he wouldn't have killed him and the win condition was to successfully ignite 3 others, but he got away with it damn it and I love him for it.

That's my thoughts mostly as I can remember. I had a good time writing the fluff. If it wasn't clear we pretty much stuck to Kawl on Day start and me on Day end. Even got my browser breaking gif flavoured one in, woohoo.

Awards, ye say?

Best Town -- This was really between two people, catvoca/Mazre and Gorlak. I think in the end, catzre measures it. Catvoca came in, contributed and was really solid (surprised he wasnt killed early tbh) then unfortunately had to sub out. Mazre came in and played as normal, chose targets well and then claimed when he had to. I just wish he fully claimed before his flip, maybe clarifying the vanilla townie part, letting Gorlak ignore a whole weird thought avenue he went down. Gorlak really kept the activity going in the late game, and that was good. I commend that.

Best Scum -- nin1000. Actual scum aligned answer: batsnacks. I feel he probably could have ironed out a few problems if he was in the main scum team, but he did well on his own and I think would have lasted long if it wasnt for the damn Arsonist. He also cleverly deducted that there was an Arsonist, which surprised me.

Best Gambit -- CornBro's insta-claim once he subbed in was enough to take him from certain lynch, to uncertain last minute tie. I think this leading straight to a win just takes it over the edge from Crab's JOAT claim, which was pretty great as well. Showing those bastards how it's done.

The Great Clutch -- Kudos to MattyG, I love the guy and while he was a little camera shy through the first half of the game he did step up towards the end and pulled that last minute tie which saved the game for Town at that point. He also had a pretty impressive array of gifs used throughout, which brought me a chuckle outside of the immense pain I felt spectating.

The Brothers of Self Destruction Award -- nin1000 and Salva. Scum, don't kill these guys. They know how to fuck shit up. Salva did kind of quiet down in the latter half, but I won't forget that fake scum-saving soft claim. We've covered good ole ninny boy.

Worst Human -- Ourobolous. Fuck him.

Best Moderator -- I guess Kawl was OK. I mean he did make the thread, without him this wouldn't have happened. Er, can I change this to worst mod?

Best Newb -- This was ttk. Catvoca was also a great addition and I'm relishing playing with him in future, but frankly ttk had the harder game as a first time scum, and he survived to the end game with some luck and some good inspired play at times and the right attitude. Well done, gentleman. See you in the next game.

MattyG

Banned
Great job everyone! It was a bit rough with inactivity and stuff, but I had a blast. I definitely want to participate next season now that I'm in the hang of things.

The Great Clutch -- Kudos to MattyG, I love the guy and while he was a little camera shy through the first half of the game he did step up towards the end and pulled that last minute tie which saved the game for Town at that point. He also had a pretty impressive array of gifs used throughout, which brought me a chuckle outside of the immense pain I felt spectating.
<3

Cabot, you're right -- I should've killed Gorlak going into the last night instead of MattyG. That was a miscalculation to be sure. I was riding off my earlier strategy of "killing the inactives" and put too much weight into the nin/Gorlak squabbles earlier in the game.

MattyG <3 I should've carried you to the end bro, I'm sorry

I definitely made mistakes across the game, a great many of them, but I feel like I managed to cover for them pretty well. Hell, I survived so I had to have been doing something right :p

Obviously missing the Game Winning Shot when I could've put down Gorlak a couple days ago was huge.

Thank you Salva for saving me, although it made me think you HAD to be the spy because I couldn't figure out a reason why you'd do it otherwise.

Dragonz put us in a tough spot early with her crazy ass claim and I love that she somehow survived as long as she did in spite of it. That was what clued me off to the fact that town was going to be its own worst enemy and lynch active players, which is why I calmed down when I saved myself last minute with the Ouro vote and went quiet, which I think bought me a couple of days.

And yes, Cabot, also in the thinking was that MattyG was "for sure town" while the rest of us at least had questions...

Honestly I was hoping Nin would throw out an early Gorlak vote for fun and then I could come in and hammer

MattyG

Banned
It's okay bro, I forgive you. We'll be on a team someday
and we'll kill everyone.

And yes, Cabot, also in the thinking was that MattyG was "for sure town" while the rest of us at least had questions...
Why exactly did people think I was definitely town? I know some of my posts were kind of dumb and out of touch with the game, was that it?

cabot

It's okay bro, I forgive you. We'll be on a team someday
and we'll kill everyone.

Why exactly did people think I was definitely town? I know some of my posts were kind of dumb and out of touch with the game, was that it?

Tieing the game to no lynch was pretty clear. Only nin wouldn't know you were Town at that point.

Catvoca

Banned
Best Town -- This was really between two people, catvoca/Mazre and Gorlak. I think in the end, catzre measures it. Catvoca came in, contributed and was really solid (surprised he wasnt killed early tbh) then unfortunately had to sub out. Mazre came in and played as normal, chose targets well and then claimed when he had to. I just wish he fully claimed before his flip, maybe clarifying the vanilla townie part, letting Gorlak ignore a whole weird thought avenue he went down. Gorlak really kept the activity going in the late game, and that was good. I commend that.

:D

Nah, Thanks a lot for having me, it was fun! I was pretty bummed when I had to drop out, but Mazre did a great job subbing in for me (he played better than I would have anyway :p) so a big thanks to him for doing so! Glad to be a part of team Catzre

nin1000

Banned
This image could not be more suitable in this situation.

First of all Sorry for throwing the game. I had a very rought time the last couple of weeks and well the way i played in the last couple of days shows that. The dumb decision i made in a split second will forever be burned into my mind.

Let that not be an excuse though. I can understand if i get a lot of hate for this and i will take all the blame for it.

I think i hit rock bottom and will for the foreseeable not be playing in any games, since this game is here to make people happy and or to havea fun time.

WIth me being around it does not seem that people are enjoying the game due to me being a crazy and annoying guy.

No one can be blamed for all the replacements though. It was a shitty situation and we all had to suffer not just me. But i cried and annoyed everyone like it was only me that was suffering. We all did.

But thanks Cabot/Kawl! You did a great game and i had a lot of fun while playing it most of the time. I expected something different of course but in the end i take my lessons out of it.

Thank You Gafia

Sophia

Let that not be an excuse though. I can understand if i get a lot of hate for this and i will take all the blame for it.

I think i hit rock bottom and will for the foreseeable not be playing in any games, since this game is here to make people happy and or to havea fun time.

WIth me being around it does not seem that people are enjoying the game due to me being a crazy and annoying guy.

I don't think anyone's actually saying that tho. Certainly, nobody wants you to stop playing over it. Just next time let a moderator know if you're having a rough time, and maybe something (like maybe extending the day phase?) can be worked out.

Ourobolus

Banned

First of all Sorry for throwing the game. I had a very rought time the last couple of weeks and well the way i played in the last couple of days shows that. The dumb decision i made in a split second will forever be burned into my mind.

No one can be blamed for all the replacements though. It was a shitty situation and we all had to suffer not just me. But i cried and annoyed everyone like it was only me that was suffering. We all did.

But thanks Cabot/Kawl! You did a great game and i had a lot of fun while playing it most of the time. I expected something different of course but in the end i take my lessons out of it.

Thank You Gafia

I don't hate you, nin. I accept your apology. I don't mind you playing, and I understand that stress can make you do some crazy stuff, so no hard feelings. Most games you're fine (a little nutty, but tolerable :p). If you need a break, that's fine - but you better get your ass back at some point.

I still think that if TTK had claimed to track Matty visiting the kill target the night after I died, scum would've won.

Catcova/Mazre was really the town MVP since we were so unsure about so many people that day until he claimed.

MattyG

Banned

Thank You Gafia
I still love you Nin. I hope you play with us again sometime.

Catvoca

Banned

Thank You Gafia

Don't beat yourself up too much bud, it's just a game and I don't think anyone is seriously mad at you (well except maybe Cabot :p) so don't feel too bad! In a few months time this'll just be one of those funny things that gafia looks back on :D I look forward to your comeback season

Mazre

Thanks all for playing and Cabot/Kawl for hosting.

I'm not too upset about the day 9 loss given that in all honesty things should've ended on day 7 with a scum win.

nin keep your head up bud and don't beat yourself up too much. Get yourself right and then come back when you're ready.

It's all good, nin -- and I'm not just saying that because my team won. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's a game and we're all here to have fun. All the comments in the game from me are just game talk. I enjoyed playing with you, personally, because you were so unpredictable. That's not always a bad thing.

Want to come in here and brag about how I caught the ttk-WAMD mutual bus on day 2.

Main reason I didn't mark one of ttk or WAMD is because I had 0 belief that they could survive till end game.

Also Gorlak, props on kyan and NF. MVP imo. I got mad at you for bs (still is bs) reasoning, btu at the same time arso's got to do what arso's got to do.

Was mainly trying to play to town benefit btw, main scummy thing was that I suspected batsnacks more than I let on, but it was also a heavily gut based read (from when he and *Splinter on day 1 tried to go all "you can only vote for these 3 people")

Yeah, I've been arguing for a long time that it's good to let players self-vote, because it can be useful to (to paraphrase Flame_AC in Bloodborne) "Get it over with and let everyone else move on the the next day." That being said, I think we've sort of cultivated an attitude of defeat in Gafia, where if more that a couple of people start voting on a person, that person just gives up and lets themselves die. We shouldn't be doing this. We should be fighting to the very end.

So yeah, I'm inclined to say no more self-votes.

EDIT: As a side note, I'm pretty sure self-votes didn't used to be allowed. I didn't think I could do it in Animal Crossing, but then Crab let me.

Hey
Hey, my self-vote was fucking amazing (and terrible). I couldn't have puled off keeping both xam and I alive without self voting

Also, for day 1 craziness superactivity:
1) Didn't think people would take it either way, felt neither scummy or towny when writing
2) My game plan was to try and put as many people on trial for being scum, as I needed to find some scum as soon as possible

I appreciate you all killing me on D2 with solid logic to save me from this madness.

I totally would have targeted Barrylocke over you if I had read through the early posts properly. Although in the end he was town too.

It's actually kind of interesting because I voted for you because I thought you and Dragonz might be teammates. But because of the spy mechanic in the game She also thought you two were teammates and reacted to pressure on you the same way I predicted she would.

SalvaPot

Well that was a lot of fun. My soft claim that cabot keeps mentioning was in part to stir conversation and in part just fucking up with everyone. I have fun like that, and seen as the game was Bar, I had one mission and one mission only: Making it to the end of the game by not giving a single fuck and somehow winning the game, I was veeery close.

Cabot, you're right -- I should've killed Gorlak going into the last night instead of MattyG. That was a miscalculation to be sure. I was riding off my earlier strategy of "killing the inactives" and put too much weight into the nin/Gorlak squabbles earlier in the game.

I definitely made mistakes across the game, a great many of them, but I feel like I managed to cover for them pretty well. Hell, I survived so I had to have been doing something right :p

Obviously missing the Game Winning Shot when I could've put down Gorlak a couple days ago was huge.

Thank you Salva for saving me, although it made me think you HAD to be the spy because I couldn't figure out a reason why you'd do it otherwise.

Dragonz put us in a tough spot early with her crazy ass claim and I love that she somehow survived as long as she did in spite of it. That was what clued me off to the fact that town was going to be its own worst enemy and lynch active players, which is why I calmed down when I saved myself last minute with the Ouro vote and went quiet, which I think bought me a couple of days.

I honestly believed you were town for the first half of the game, but by the last few days I was alive I had you increasingly rising the ranks as scum. I was a bit sad that I was killed before I could get my objective, you can be sure that if it was me instead of nin in the final 3 I would have voted the shit out of you x).

Also Nin, my man, my hat goes off to you, you took the ultimate chaotic choice and I love it.

cabot

Well that was a lot of fun. My soft claim that cabot keeps mentioning was in part to stir conversation and in part just fucking up with everyone. I have fun like that, and seen as the game was Bar, I had one mission and one mission only: Making it to the end of the game by not giving a single fuck and somehow winning the game, I was veeery close.

I honestly believed you were town for the first half of the game, but by the last few days I was alive I had you increasingly rising the ranks as scum. I was a bit sad that I was killed before I could get my objective, you can be sure that if it was me instead of nin in the final 3 I would have voted the shit out of you x).

Also Nin, my man, my hat goes off to you, you took the ultimate chaotic choice and I love it.

Your mission was to defeat all non-town threats. Consider you're in a team, please.

Surely you see why people get frustrated, you can have fun and play to your win condition at the same time, it doesn't require you to actively sabotage your team.

*Splinter

That reminds me. If you're ordinary, your objective is to be NK'd. Especially if you're only here for shitposting.

I dont want to tell people what they can and can't do, but ~20 of us are trying to play Mafia here, and thats difficult when there are players only posting to say they don't give a shit, or claiming bulletproof when they should be fishing for an NK.

nin1000

Banned
That reminds me. If you're ordinary, your objective is to be NK'd. Especially if you're only here for shitposting.

I dont want to tell people what they can and can't do, but ~20 of us are trying to play Mafia here, and thats difficult when there are players only posting to say they don't give a shit, or claiming bulletproof when they should be fishing for an NK].

I dont see a problem for others if someone fake claims bulletproof. Of course others are trying to play mafia but be claiming something is not something that sours the game for others.

I am getting the feeling that you are more frustrated with either

1) me claiming something you could have claimed and therefore being angry that you did not think of that claim

or

2) me throwing the game.

like i said in a previous post. I am very well aware of the flack i am getting and i deserve it but if you want to say something. Just be clear about it. No need to ralk around the bush here.

Kawl_USC

Well to be fair, claiming bulletproof as an ordinary is a non sensical claim in achieving towns win condition.

It helps further your individual goal of survival but that's all.

When playing I'd pretty much auto lynch any unprovoked claim of bullet proof as scummy/anti town.

nin1000

Banned
Well to be fair, claiming bulletproof as an ordinary is a non sensical claim in achieving towns win condition.

It helps further your individual goal of survival but that's all.

When playing I'd pretty much auto lynch any unprovoked claim of bullet proof as scummy/anti town.

Fair point, but in the end its up to town if they lynch someone with an unprovoked claim or not. Town as a whole has to decide if its worth lynching that someone or not.
I mean we are now getting into the discussion how to play the game. In the end its up to each individual how they decide to play. I for one did not see a problem with me fake claiming but more with the way i acted. The fake claiming was something genious in my opinion. It would not have been seen as bad if i in the end had not thrown the game.

Like i said earlier. I feel bad for those who suffered because of that and took my personal consequences because of that.

*Splinter

I dont see a problem for others if someone fake claims bulletproof. Of course others are trying to play mafia but be claiming something is not something that sours the game for others.

I am getting the feeling that you are more frustrated with either

1) me claiming something you could have claimed and therefore being angry that you did not think of that claim

or

2) me throwing the game.

like i said in a previous post. I am very well aware of the flack i am getting and i deserve it but if you want to say something. Just be clear about it. No need to ralk around the bush here.
I'm just talking about people playing in a way that obstructs the game for others. That was more referring to Salva who mostly posted "I don't know/care".

Your claim was also nonsense, but that's a more general gameplay commentary.

Pro Tip: If you're ordinary, try to get Night Killed

TheExodu5

Banned
So...anyone have a breakdown of roles and alignments? Didn't gave a chance to read through the whole game.

My initial scum reads were Hyper, Salva, TTK, and Retroid. Curious to see if I was on the mark at all.

Kawl_USC

So...anyone have a breakdown of roles and alignments? Didn't gave a chance to read through the whole game.

My initial scum reads were Hyper, Salva, TTK, and Retroid. Curious to see if I was on the mark at all.

Arsonist, Vanilla Town, Scum Tracker, Scum Strongman.

TheExodu5

Banned
Arsonist, Vanilla Town, Scum Tracker, Scum Strongman.

Guess my gut reads weren't so awful for once. And batsnacks too...I thought Gorlak and I were onto something there...he was really zeroing in on me.

Shame my schedule only lightened up right before I got killed...finally got the chance to start participating more.

And I still maintain that town forced me into a corner. No lynch was treated as an instant scum tell, as was the lack of power claiming. The real scum tells were the ones pushing for my claim. My plan was to ride the edge of suspicion and avoid night kill by voting no lynch, but it backfired big time.

Anyways, I had fun and learned a lot despite the short game.

Thanks Kawl and Cabot. <3

Thanks, cabot.

One question I had: Did you randomly do the roles, or was it pure chance that the two new players (me and Catvoca) were opposite alignment and both had power roles?

Top Bottom