• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barbie | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
share.jpg

Barbie - Review Thread

Reviews:

Deadline:
In essence, Barbie is a film that challenges the viewer to reconsider their understanding of societal norms and expectations. While it may be centered on a plastic entity, it is very much a film about the human condition — our strengths and our flaws. It is a reminder that even within the most superficial elements of our culture, there can exist an unexpected depth and an invitation to discourse. Gerwig’s directing is an earnest exploration of identity, societal structures and the courage to embrace change — proving once again that stories can come from the most unusual places.
Hollywood Reporter:
However smartly done Gerwig’s Barbie is, an ominousness haunts the entire exercise. The director has successfully etched her signature into and drawn deeper themes out of a rigid framework, but the sacrifices to the story are clear. The muddied politics and flat emotional landing of Barbie are signs that the picture ultimately serves a brand.
Variety:
It’s kind of perfect that “Barbie” is opening opposite Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer,” since Gerwig’s girl-power blockbuster offers a neon-pink form of inception all its own, planting positive examples of female potential for future generations. Meanwhile, by showing a sense of humor about the brand’s past stumbles, it gives us permission to challenge what Barbie represents — not at all what you’d expect from a feature-length toy commercial.
Empire (4/5):
Greta Gerwig delivers a new kind of ambitious and giddily entertaining blockbuster that boasts two definitive performances from actors already in their stride. Life after Barbie will simply never be the same again.
The Guardian (3/5):
Greta Gerwig’s bubblegum-fun-cum-feminist-thesis indulges Ken but pulls its punches as it trips between satire and advert
Entertainment Weekly (A-):
The fear is that Hollywood will learn the wrong message from Barbie, rushing to green light films about every toy gathering dust on a kid's playroom floor. (What's next, The Funko Pop Movie? Furby: Fully Loaded? We already have a Bobbleheads movie, so maybe we're already there.) But it's Gerwig's care and attention to detail that gives Barbie an actual point of view*,* elevating it beyond every other cynical, IP-driven cash grab. Turns out that life in plastic really can be fantastic.
Collider (A-):
Gerwig has created a film that takes Barbie, praises its contribution as an idea to our world, but also criticizes its faults, while also making a film that celebrates being a woman and all the difficulties and beauty that includes. This also manages to be a film that feels decidedly in line with Gerwig’s previous films as she continues her streak as one of the most exciting filmmakers working today. Barbie could’ve just been a commercial, but Gerwig makes this life of plastic into something truly fantastic.
IGN (9/10):
Greta Gerwig’s Barbie is a masterful exploration of femininity and the pressures of perfection. This hyper-femme roller-coaster ride boasts meticulous production design, immaculate casting, and a deep-seated reverence for Barbie herself. Margot Robbie sparkles at the center of the film, alongside Ryan Gosling’s airheaded Ken and America Ferrera’s well-meaning Gloria. Ultimately, Barbie is a new, bold, and very pink entry into the cinematic coming-of-age canon. Absolutely wear your pinkest outfit to see this movie, but make sure you bring tissues along too.
Rolling Stone (4/5):
This is a saga of self-realization, filtered through both the spirit of free play and the sense that it’s not all fun and games in the real world — a doll’s story that continually drifts into the territory of A Doll’s House.
Insider (B+):
"Barbie" offers up a lot of big ideas to ponder, but it frustratingly fails to take a stance on any potential solutions.
Consequence (9/10):
Barbie is a magic trick, a stellar example of a filmmaker taking a well-established bit of corporate IP and using it to deliver a message loudly and clearly. That Greta Gerwig’s third solo film as director also manages to be a giddy, silly, and hilarious time is essential to its power, and the challenge of this review is thus trying to explore how the magic trick works, while still preserving the flat-out awe I have at what it achieves.
The Independent (5/5):
Barbie is joyous from minute to minute to minute. But it’s where the film ends up that really cements the near-miraculousness of Gerwig’s achievement. Very late in the movie, a conversation is had that neatly sums up one of the great illusions of capitalism – that creations exist independently from those that created them. It’s why films and television shows get turned into “content”, and why writers and actors end up exploited and demeaned. Barbie, in its own sly, silly way, gets to the very heart of why these current strikes are so necessary.
The Wrap:
Still, it’s not the aim of “Barbie” to darken your mood as a fun and abundantly populist studio picture, in which Gerwig presents the audience with various Kentastic musical tracks and in one stupendous instance that shouldn’t be spoiled, a friendly middle-finger to Matchbox Twenty through Gosling’s fearless performance. Thanks to Gerwig’s imagination, this “Barbie” is far from plastic. It’s fantastic.
The New York Post (1/4):
The packaging of “Barbie” is a lot more fun than the tedious toy inside the box.
----

Synopsis:

After being expelled from the utopian Barbie Land for being less-than-perfect dolls, Barbie and Ken go on a journey of self-discovery together to the real world.
Directed by Greta Gerwig

Written by Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach

Cast:

• Margot Robbie as Barbie
  • Ryan Gosling as Ken
  • America Ferrera as Gloria
  • Rhea Perlman as Ruth Handler
  • Will Ferrell as the CEO of Mattel

• Different variations of Barbie played by:
    • Kate McKinnon as Weird Barbie
    • Issa Rae as President Barbie
    • Hari Nef as Dr. Barbie
    • Alexandra Shipp as Writer Barbie
    • Emma Mackey as Physicist Barbie
    • Sharon Rooney as Lawyer Barbie
    • Dua Lipa as the Mermaid Barbies
    • Nicola Coughlan as Diplomat Barbie
    • Ana Cruz Kayne as Judge Barbie
    • Ritu Arya as Journalist Barbie

• Different variations of Ken played by:
    • Kingsley Ben-Adir as Ken #1
    • Simu Liu as Ken #2
    • Scott Evans as Ken #3
    • Ncuti Gatwa as Ken #4
    • John Cena as Kenmaid
  • Helen Mirren as the narrator
  • Emerald Fennell as Midge
  • Michael Cera as Allan
  • Ariana Greenblatt as Sasha, Gloria's daughter
  • Jamie Demetriou as a Mattel employee
  • Connor Swindells as Aaron Dinkins, a Mattel intern
  • Ann Roth as an old woman who meets Barbie

Last edited:

Doom85

“Barbie" offers up a lot of big ideas to ponder, but it frustratingly fails to take a stance on any potential solutions.”

Barbie plastic doll film docked points for failing to solve the world’s problems. Today in 2023.

I also hate the idea that a story HAS to offer a definitive ”solution” to the issues it discusses.

In the comic Watchmen, a “solution” is presented to the issue the world faces, but obviously it’s left EXTREMELY debatable if one could even remotely justify it given the horrific cost. But it’s obviously an excellent narrative regardless purely for starting an interesting discussion, rather than just flat out saying exactly what the optimal solution was.

I’m not saying a story can’t take a stance and still be excellent, but it is definitely not a requirement.

Lunarorbit

Just saw the trailer before indy 5(whixh was awesome by the way). Looks good. Story seems similar to Lego movie in it's existential crisis and will Ferrell is in it too which is immersion breaking for me.

But robbie and gosling are funny people so I have high hopes?!? I'm more excited about this that I was about indy and I was completely wrong about that movie.

Good date movie

peish

Seeing this was written by the same woman who thinks "snow white doesn't need a man!" I think I'm going to pass. If I want to be lectured, I can do so without paying for a movie ticket.

that's a red flag and isn't barbie the kind of toy line considered 'uncool' in progressive strong females us and uk?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
It isn't going to review poorly if it is indeed a 'smash the patriarchy' movie. And on top of it, looking at the talent involved, it probably is a well made movie production wise.

The question is if the audience wants to sit through a 2 hour lecture, even if well made. Not for me personally, just like Jeremy Jhans said in his review.

HL3.exe

“Barbie" offers up a lot of big ideas to ponder, but it frustratingly fails to take a stance on any potential solutions.”

Barbie plastic doll film docked points for failing to solve the world’s problems. Today in 2023.
'Strict/clear mandatory policy's at the end of the film please, or else..'

What a weird take indeed. Art is supposed to make you ponder different ideas. I can kinda understand it if the film is 'toothless' and has nothing to say, but coming from Baumbach I doubt that. (haven't seen it, more into that other big release today)

LordOfChaos

"Deeply bizarre and anti-man."

Kind of figured with the "She's everything. He's just Ken" slogan, but. I had kind of hoped we were turning a corner on the men have to be shown to be incompetent to raise up women media trope of the last several decades.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I cannot fucking wait to see this. I now understand, that no female lead film, will get the grace of Youtube grifters. They asked for years for an action horror movie, with a capable woman character that would actually learn how the defeat the threat, instead of being a Mary Sue. A character like Ripley in Alien or Sarah Connor in T2. Then came out Prey. Naru was no Mary Sue.

She starts out weak and without much skill. But she grows and learn. She gets captured twice by two different groups. She gets beat up and tortured. She sees things about the Predator and learns from it. Including it's cloaking, how it's laser sights work. She stands no chance against the Predator just like Arnie didn't in the original. She overcomes by being clever, combining all she learned into forming a plan to overcome an unstoppable threat.

I think only The Critical Drinker who heavily criticized the film before even seeing it, gave it it's deserved props. He overcame his own biases, and gave the film a review that was pretty glowing which I honestly appreciated coming from him. Everyone else shat on it (not the critics or audiences, just the manosphere people) despite giving them all they apparently wanted from a female lead.

Now a Barbie movie, about the perfect doll/woman getting into the real world....then yes, Barbie is gonna be angry at how things work IRL. Women ARE diminished, I know that, and you know that. And if Margot Robbie is there to hand men their butts, which apparently happens and is perfectly done via a great script judging from the reviews, then so be it.

Don't be snowflakes. Let the movie be.

Last edited:

Toons

I cannot fucking wait to see this. I now understand, that no female lead film, will get the grace of Youtube grifters. They asked for years for an action horror movie, with a capable woman character that would actually learn how the defeat the threat, instead of being a Mary Sue. A character like Ripley in Alien or Sarah Connor in T2. Then came out Prey. Naru was no Mary Sue.

She starts out weak and without much skill. But she grows and learn. She gets captured twice by two different groups. She gets beat up and tortured. She sees things about the Predator and learns from it. Including it's cloaking, how it's laser sights work. She stands no chance against the Predator just like Arnie didn't in the original. She overcomes by being clever, combining all she learned into forming a plan to overcome an unstoppable threat.

I think only The Critical Drinker who heavily criticized the film before even seeing it, gave it it's deserved props. He overcame his own biases, and gave the film a review that was pretty glowing which I honestly appreciated coming from him. Everyone else shat on it (not the critics or audiences, just the manosphere people) despite giving them all they apparently wanted from a female lead.

Now a Barbie movie, about the perfect doll/woman getting into the real world....then yes, Barbie is gonna be angry at how things work IRL. Women ARE diminished, I know that, and you know that. And if Margot Robbie is there to hand men their butts, which apparently happens and is perfectly done via a great script judging from the reviews, then so be it.

Don't be snowflakes. Let the movie be.

You're wasting your time.

Those youtubers are obvious grifters and the people who watch them know they are but they like being told what they wanna hear.

I think I'm going to give this one a shot. I wish it wasn't competing with Oppenheimer tho, that seems like it will siphon the box offices of both. Got a busy weekend so I probably can't do it OW

StueyDuck

Like I'm sure most men who don't have young girls, I'm probably not gonna see this until I have to.

But I am finding it interesting they are using the Ghostbusters 2016 tactic of using social media to create some sort of gender war 🤷. Like why...

The movie is apparently good (I don't trust reviewers) just release it and let people decide.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Barbie isn't and was never a product aimed at men. It was for little girls. So "perfect" is a misnomer. It was a reflection of society at the time of its creation (1959).

The idea that her creation serves male interests is nonsense, it always served commercial interests, i.e. pushing products like Fashion and Lifestyle that served the consumerist economy.

Trying to make a political statement out of this is just silly. The "male" representative in Barbie world is a eunuch with abs, go go patriarchy!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Barbie isn't and was never a product aimed at men. It was for little girls. So "perfect" is a misnomer. It was a reflection of society at the time of its creation (1959).

The idea that her creation serves male interests is nonsense, it always served commercial interests, i.e. pushing products like Fashion and Lifestyle that served the consumerist economy.

Trying to make a political statement out of this is just silly. The "male" representative in Barbie world is a eunuch with abs, go go patriarchy!
Bitch you know Ken fucks. And I grew up in the late 80s and 90s. I saw more boys with Barbies, myself included than girls. Girls that my mom babysat or were friends of the family. They were more into fucking NES than Barbie.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I never made penis on ken dolls with my putty slime when i was little so that type of math didn't even touched my mind:lollipop_squinting:
Then...you never truly lived! My parents were a kinky as hell pair....and the magazines me and the boys found back in the day...Ah the memories.

I have 3 floggers, and an entire enema kit that I inherited lol. Wild days....wild days.

mitch1971

My sister cut some of the hair off her Barbie, glued it to Barbie's crotch and gave her pubes. Not sure how that's relevant to this discussion, but I think its funny. I'll still bring that up to her every now and then. Can't let her live it down.
New Hairy Mary Barbie.

Fuz

Banned

I have an aquaitance who's a major film critic. In his review he noted that, as expected with that director who's a fringe feminist, the movie is extremely feminist and extremely political and anti-male. Note that he said it as a good thing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I have an aquaitance who's a major film critic. In his review he noted that, as expected with that director who's a fringe feminist, the movie is extremely feminist and extremely political and anti-male. Note that he said it as a good thing.
Seems that way from some of the reviews coming out. Critics are reluctant to criticize these types of movies. Curious to hear what people here think of it after release.

Top Bottom