• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

kinggroin

Banned
Are those massive pauses and stutters only happening to AMD users and Maxwell cards?

I'm not talking about the quick hitches when moving to a new area, but the game stopping frame drops that make the game unplayable?

So far, I know of two people with low end 670s like me, who are playing the game ~PS4 levels of performance and a buddy with a 770 also not experiencing any game breaking performance issues.

Keep in mind, the game is not performing acceptably considering the horsepower at hand, but it's perfectly playable by, say, console gaming definitions and expectations.

as it stands, the game feels like the Dark Souls release but with a couple missing visual effects (smh).

GavinUK86

Please share with us the specs of your magical pc and how you were somehow able to put back rain shaders and AO back in :)
He said no issues, nothing about effects.

I've been playing it ok-ish for 11 hours. Quite enjoying it. I've got everything on max minus gameworks, unlocked the framerate via the .ini, used nvidia inspector to set 1/2 refresh rate vsync and RT to balance frametimes. Sure, it stutters now and again when flying around but it's not that bad actually. I'll carry on and finish it and replay it at 1080/60 when it's all sorted out.

Irobot82

Are those massive pauses and stutters only happening to AMD users and Maxwell cards?

I'm not talking about the quick hitches when moving to a new area, but the game stopping frame drops that make the game unplayable?

So far, I know of two people with low end 670s like me, who are playing the game ~PS4 levels of performance and a buddy with a 770 also not experiencing any game breaking performance issues.

Keep in mind, the game is not performing acceptably considering the horsepower at hand, but it's perfectly playable by, say, console gaming definitions and expectations.

as it stands, the game feels like the Dark Souls release but with a couple missing visual effects (smh).

I'm running a 7950 and my hitches are minor. I have most settings at normal. I have a 3570k OC'd to 4.4 and 8GB of RAM. Also running on an SSD. No crashes, I get about 50-60fps and dips to 30's flying batmobile etc. I don't have the film grain though, it's just missing I'm not sure what's up with that but it's fine because I hate it.

Yes it happens to both, the RPS video was a 970, I'm running a 290 tri-x.

zip stick

I'm running a 7950 and my hitches are minor. I have most settings at normal. I have a 3570k OC'd to 4.4 and 8GB of RAM. Also running on an SSD. No crashes, I get about 50-60fps and dips to 30's flying batmobile etc. I don't have the film grain though, it's just missing I'm not sure what's up with that but it's fine because I hate it.

Im running pretty much same spec as above but with an i7-3770K and Gigabyte ATI Radeon 7950 HD 3GB Windforce, and its running perfectly for me. Running it on normal settings and left ini unchanged. Internal benchmarks dipped to mid 50s but i have game capped at 30.

Know this is a shit port, but I'm just wondering if someone else is getting this error. Not spoiling anything, but I'm at Ace Chemicals, have to go down a tunel and the game crashes saying "Invalid number of textures".

Irobot82

Im running pretty much same spec as above but with an i7-3770K and Gigabyte ATI Radeon 7950 HD 3GB Windforce, and its running perfectly for me. Running it on normal settings and left ini unchanged. Internal benchmarks dipped to mid 50s but i have game capped at 30.

I modded the ini file. I can't stand 30fps. All indoor settings I rock a solid 60fps. Also I turned on the last two GW affects. The only ones you can for AMD cards. I am getting sick of the lack of AO and the batmobile always looking so pristine. It's so off putting.

Edit: Also my VRAM usage on my 3GB card was around 2300MB.

holygeesus

Banned

My 970 is fine. I do have 16GB of RAM though. I can't see this being a quick fix, and I'm not waiting ages for rain effects and AO to be added in, when I barely even notice them, so I'm playing and enjoying it loads. If I had hitches, or freezing, like the majority have, I wouldn't be, of course, but it plays fine for me.

cripterion

He said no issues, nothing about effects.

I've been playing it ok-ish for 11 hours. Quite enjoying it. I've got everything on max minus gameworks, unlocked the framerate via the .ini, used nvidia inspector to set 1/2 refresh rate vsync and RT to balance frametimes. Sure, it stutters now and again when flying around but it's not that bad actually. I'll carry on and finish it and replay it at 1080/60 when it's all sorted out.

Well I guess the definition might vary from user to user but not having standard graphical effects is somewhat of an issue to me, as well as performance going down the crapper, or shoddy textures.

No doubt some people are satisfied with running it at 30 fps but having played all the previous ones at 60, I just can't. Shame cause some portions of the game seem interesting.

Anyone have a link i can ask a refund for GMG? I only bought the season pass, maybe they'll be nice. Have a gut feeling they'll be giving away it for free once this shit is fixed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well I guess the definition might vary from user to user but not having standard graphical effects is somewhat of an issue to me, as well as performance going down the crapper, or shoddy textures.

No doubt some people are satisfied with running it at 30 fps but having played all the previous ones at 60, I just can't. Shame cause some portions of the game seem interesting.
I'm unsatisfied as mine crashes every time and it doesn't even scale with 2 GPU's.

The game is running decently for me, but I had it crash once a decent way into the game. I'm really of uncapping the framerate, or messing with it considering all the horror stories.

Really sad that this is the state the game released, but I'm still enjoying it despite that, so I'll keep playing.

hollams

Gold Member
I went ahead and bought the PS4 version, I got my PC copy free with new video card, and it looked good and was smooth. I went back to the PC version and just used the default values just to see the differences. I could easily see the missing AO graphic detail but I thought the PC version looked a bit sharper. I was able to maintain 30fps while gliding around the city and thought maybe I shouldn't have bought the PS4 version. Then I went and rode around the batmobile for 4 minutes and the game crashed because I was out of memory, then I went and played 3 hours straight with no issues on the PS4.

I've crossed the two-hour threshold so no more refund for me. I'm not a console gamer, though, so still holding out hope they can fix it. I want to keep the game.

If I keep the 30fps cap and turn off smoke and debris I can just about play, though there is still hitching. But it's not just the framerate issues, the visuals feel very unpolished, the AA solution isn't great, there's massive shimmering, a lot of the textures seem bad, the lack of ao makes things seem very flat. Clearly there just wasn't a lot of work put into this port, beyond the gameworks stuff, which you mostly have to turn off. It's a shame because underneath all that is a very impressive game.

pahamrick

Same here man, ironically Nvidia seemed excited about their Game ready drivers + SLI bits through GeForce Experience. Did they even test this shit or they are on some magical build? Lol

Yeah, SLI is completely broken. Using a second GPU as a dedicated physx card seems the best option for now.

Also, if you're experiencing frequent crashing on Nvidia: Try disabling Gameworks Fog + Gameworks Interactive Debris. I had frequent hard crashes until I disabled both of those.

JohngPR

I asked for my refund from GMG and I had already bought the PS4 version with a PSN card I got for Father's Day. Guess ill use that money to get the season pass? Ugh I don't know.

I knew GMG would honor returns once WB responded the way they did. No way the publisher gives you instructions on how to return something and you as a business sit on your hands.

It was playable to some degree but I can't reconcile with the game going sub 10 FPS at certain times.

I can still play with all settings turned on and the 30fps lock. Havent tried to unlock it yet. I refuse to play the story but I am just running around in the batmobile and blowing stuff up. Also doing some challenges. Havent seen any crashes yet. I'm glad the game got pulled. Shows they are taking the hit seriously.

Tovarisc

I'm baffled that NO ONE had issues in QA phase.

If there was any.

I highly doubt that QA missed this stuff, super obvious, but it's out of QA's hands when some higher up overrules their concerns. "Just flag them as known shippable" most likely was muttered in some email.

Mifec

Not necessarily. I don't know how they would go about remedying that.

Bring out statement and say what happened, give a timeframe as to when it will be fixed. That would be enough to save them from the disaster that happened. But unfortunately I doubt the issue is something as simple as that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My 970 is fine. I do have 16GB of RAM though. I can't see this being a quick fix, and I'm not waiting ages for rain effects and AO to be added in, when I barely even notice them, so I'm playing and enjoying it loads. If I had hitches, or freezing, like the majority have, I wouldn't be, of course, but it plays fine for me.
I'm doing fine as well with 12GB. Maybe the main issues are due to poor memory management.

Well, I've played up to ACE Chemicals. So far the game is very, very smooth with no stuttering (while gliding, driving, etc) or graphical errors. All graphics options set to highest settings with enhanced rain and light shafts enabled only. I play at 1600x1200 resolution at 85hz. I'm also using Forceware 353.06. I'd monitored my VRAM usage using Nvidia Inspector and the game was using around 3900Mb.

4670K at 4.4Ghz
8Gb RAM
SSD
GTX 770 4Gb

Pepiope

Anyone have a link i can ask a refund for GMG? I only bought the season pass, maybe they'll be nice. Have a gut feeling they'll be giving away it for free once this shit is fixed.
I just searched for the game under support and it lets you create a ticket from there. I processed my request for the game and season pass, so hopefully they'll refund them both.

mrback

You have to wonder if Iron Galaxy passed on an old build instead of the correct one. That would indicate why there are missing effects and lack of optimisation.

It's perfect here, even though it would be because they're showing it off at E3.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, when you look at the its like WTF went wrong???

You have to wonder if Iron Galaxy passed on an old build instead of the correct one. That would indicate why there are missing effects and lack of optimisation.

That's the dream, could be a fairly quick fix if this is the case.

Doubt it though. WB's reaction is far too severe for something that's going to be fixed anytime soon.

Yeah, I'll give it until the end of the week to see where things are at and then request a refund for the season pass. Really no point keeping it when it'll probably go back on sale when the game is re-released if not just set at a lower price and I don't intend on continuing until shit is fixed anyway.

So has there been any other confirmation about the game defaulting back to DX10 if you enable Gameworks?

I've played about 4-5 hours now and outside of one actual lockup (not a frame drop, a straight lockup) I've had zero issues. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw the rain pop off the cape one time...although I've never been able to recreate it again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm baffled that NO ONE had issues in QA phase.

If there was any.

As someone that works in QA (not games industry) it really doesnt work like that.

I can near enough guarantee that theres a database with all the issues logged. But if managers/people up higher want this shit released it gets released and the developers work on high priority bugs first.

The blame firmly lies with WB management for it actually being released in that state. They make the final call. Not that this absolves Iron Galaxy of any responsibility, not at all, but we dont know what goes on behind the scenes with budget, time etc.

So has there been any other confirmation about the game defaulting back to DX10 if you enable Gameworks?

I've played about 4-5 hours now and outside of one actual lockup (not a frame drop, a straight lockup) I've had zero issues. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw the rain pop off the cape one time...although I've never been able to recreate it again.

Other people have been playing the game with an overlay on showing it running on DX11 with Gameworks enabled. Most notably Total Biscuit.

KingV

The rain does pop off the cape, but there is supposed to be like a "water beading up and running down the suit effect" that is missing from Batman and the batmobile. And maybe NPCs too. Gordon's jacket has a weird look to it.

That said, I also haven't really had any problems. But I am scared to touch my settings. Most of the missing effects I only kknow about because of this thread.

Other people have been playing the game with an overlay on showing it running on DX11 with Gameworks enabled. Most notably Total Biscuit.

Yes, but not with Smoke and Debris, both of those require the entire game to be restarted to be enabled or disabled. When either are turned on my Afterburner overlay doesn't work.

Also, the game crashes a lot with them on.

Has anybody lodged a refund and had success through CJS Keys? I bought the premium edition and have lodged a ticket in light of this clusterfuck. Still haven't received a response from CJS yet...

Cheers

Norns

The lack of AO and some textures is really bothering me. Going to get a GMG refund and get it in PS4...

Guess I could install origins. I skipped that one, but still own it.

Pepiope

Yeah, I'll give it until the end of the week to see where things are at and then request a refund for the season pass. Really no point keeping it when it'll probably go back on sale when the game is re-released if not just set at a lower price and I don't intend on continuing until shit is fixed anyway.
Yeah, I doubt this game comes back out at $59.99 after the shit storm it just caused.

The lack of AO and some textures is really bothering me. Going to get a GMG refund and get it in PS4...

Guess I could install origins. I skipped that one, but still own it.
AO was my favorite Arkham game out of the 3. It looks great too.

Needlecrash

So my experience actually hasn't been too bad. I initially had some studdering but it smoothed out. I'm getting on average between 50-60 but mainly in the 60 range with all settings maxed out (including the extra Nvidia effects which didn't make a difference to me).

The Batmobile sequences averages between 40-45. Game doesn't look all that great on PC. I still have the PS4 version still sealed. Kinda tempted to break it out to play it.

I'll try to get some footage out there if Shadowplay wants to actually work. Same with OBS.

MSI GeForce GTX 970 Golden Edition
Intel i7-4790K @ 4.0 gHz
G Skill Ares 32 gb RAM 1866 mHz
Windows 8.1 x64

Vuze

Finally had the chance to check it out after I had to download the game twice with my shit connection because it decided to delete itself for some reason :^)

It ran "fine" for whatever that is worth. 30fps, no stuttering, no crashes, no texture pop-in. Didn't modify any config files. However the blur and framerate combined are headache inducing to a certain degree. I experienced the same with Dead Rising 3 last year (it was/is locked to 30 by default as well). I could resolve the problem with DR3 by unlocking the framerate and disabling the motion blur, but apparently neither of which will work here (unlocked framerate = massive texture pop in, disabled post processing = crash as far as I've heard).

I'll leave it be for now, maybe I'll try it again when my Gsync monitor arrives next week or so, but I really hope they fix the PC version, I liked the atmosphere and everything.

Win8.1
i5 4570
MSI GTX 970
16GB RAM
game installed on SSD

Top Bottom