• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Robert7lee

Neo Member
My 2 mins worth of game play on 980 ti and i7 4770k

Couple of peeps on here seem content/satisfied/happy? with their performance and maybe mine is worse then theirs although I don't get major stuttering like some it's still pretty bad.

60 fps looks so much better than 30 fps but can't stand those frame rate drops and this is with out NVidia Game works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZVS0oiXuYA

Struct09

Nvidia is sending their engineers there too, so now we have Rockstar, Nvidia engineers aside from the original IG engineers. What next? WB sending their WB Montreal team? Call Monolith for additional engineers? This is looking like a nuclear reactor meltdown with every hand on deck to fix it, yeesh.

I think I found the problem

JohngPR

I mean, I don't know anything about software engineering specifically with regards to video game development, but porting a game built on DirectX on shared x86 and GPU infrastructure doesn't seem that difficult. I would imagine setting up the porting process for the final build wouldn't take much considering they had PC builds last year....most of the effort is going to be testing and distribution.

If it was so easy, the PC version wouldn't have been as busted as it is. It's easy to judge from the side lines. Not that I condone how shitty this port was, but some of these projects are harder than you'd imagine.

Braag

7WWgHZx.png

Good, I hope they really mean it that they're working hard on fixing all the issues.

The DOF in this shot though still looks really different between the 2 platforms

Pretty sure the console versions are using Bokeh DOF while the PC version isn't.

SliChillax

I keep hearing "fixing performance issues" while no one is mentioning the missing graphical features present on the console versions.

Zemm

This guy is the director so he either knew about the shit port and allowed them to release it anyway (no way he doesn't have that power), or he didn't know and is incompetent. Neither way looks good. Would love someone to grill him about this eventually.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This guy is the director so he either knew about the shit port and allowed them to release it anyway, or he didn't know and is incompetent. Neither way looks good.
Those would be calls made by WB, not him.

I mean, I don't know anything about software engineering specifically with regards to video game development, but porting a game built on DirectX on shared x86 and GPU infrastructure doesn't seem that difficult. I would imagine setting up the porting process for the final build wouldn't take much considering they had PC builds last year....most of the effort is going to be testing and distribution.

Unless the engine was nearly completely overhauled.. which I get a feeling it was by the looks of AK.

KorrZ

This guy is the director so he either knew about the shit port and allowed them to release it anyway (no way he doesn't have that power), or he didn't know and is incompetent. Neither way looks good. Would love someone to grill him about this eventually.

Even if he is the director, the publisher is the one who sets the release date. You don't get to say "no" as the developer to releasing when the publisher tells you lol.

Why is this so important? We don't know anything, why assume things like that and use that as a base for accusing people?

Maybe they made their best with the material they got from Rocksteady. Then they didn't get more time and had to release it. We don't know, there are several possibilities.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
This guy is the director so he either knew about the shit port and allowed them to release it anyway, or he didn't know and is incompetent. Neither way looks good.

I use to do QA for a large company that releases sports games and while it's not the exact same company I would wager that he knew but because the larger focus was on the console releases and wanted to meet the release date (which may or may not be insisted upon by the publisher) they basically ignored any A/B/C issues to in hopes they can just patch it after as there are little or no PC certification to check these things.

I think the only reason why it was removed until further notice was because the option to refund games on Steam spoke volumes and if that option was not there the game would probably still be purchased.

I keep hearing "fixing performance issues" while no one is mentioning the missing graphical features present on the console versions.

post-39839-Wooderson-THIS-gif-Imgur-Matth-fA9n.gif

Fuck the performance issues right now. I want my HBAO+, rain shaders, and Bokeh DOF -- THEN work on the stuttering.

I want an immediate patch with the graphics features turned on.. then I can play the damn game!

Green Yoshi

I don't think Warner cares about Rocksteady. It is their logo on the PC version, not the one of Iron Galaxy Studios. Wouldn't surprise me if it will be their last game for Warner. Warner Bros. Montreal is most likely already developing a new Batman game. Big corporations as Time Warner sometimes act strange and look out for scapegoats.

I don't think Warner cares about Rocksteady. It is their logo on the PC version, not the one of Iron Galaxy Studios. Wouldn't surprise me if it will be their last game for Warner. Warner Bros. Montreal is most likely already developing a new Batman game. Big corporations as Time Warner sometimes act strange and look out for scapegoats.

Warner owns them. You expect them to sell Rocksteady?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Good news at last, and interesting that this seems like "all hands on deck" thing, which is appropriate given the state of the game.

What I'm surprised is that it's an UE3 game that they knew was going to be on PC, and they did that version last.
Every dev should do Capcpom's MTF way, where every game was PC first, then ported to consoles.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nvidia is sending their engineers there too, so now we have RockSteady, Nvidia engineers aside from the original IG engineers. What next? WB sending their WB Montreal team? Call Monolith for additional engineers? This is looking like a nuclear reactor meltdown with every hand on deck to fix it, yeesh.

I hope they don't forget to optimize it for AMD cards while they're at it

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
They could do what EA has done with Criterion and Pandemic. Take the best people and let them fade out.

And why would they do that ? Your reasoning makes absolutely fuck all sense. The console versions are technical marvels basically and they may not have even had much of a hand in the PC version of AK at all, we don't know the facts. Their games also sell very well. Even if the creative director knew the state of the PC version do you honestly think he gets to dictate anything to management in terms of release ? Funniest thing I've read all day, you obviously never had to deal with upper management much. You completely underestimate the power some of these folks have.

So tell me, why would they want to let them fade out again ? I would like to think that WB just make sure in the future that any PC versions get the time and love they need after this fiasco (yeah right)

roytheone

Good news at last, and interesting that this seems like "all hands on deck" thing, which is appropriate given the state of the game.

I am interested to see how this turns out. In my experience, when a programming project goes into full on "shit is on fire, fix it now!" Mode, trowing in a ton of extra people from different companies and expecting them to all work together immediately doesn't always give the best result.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

yeah, I mean the port didn't even have hbao+ or TXAA or any Nvidia standard features other than the PhysX smoke and cape.

so Rocksteady and Nvidia programmers are called into this now this now give me hope, but man.. this is not good for Iron Galaxy future, now other publishers will thinks a million time before they hire them after this massive mess.

Sajjaja

Fuck the performance issues right now. I want my HBAO+, rain shaders, and Bokeh DOF -- THEN work on the stuttering.

I want an immediate patch with the graphics features turned on.. then I can play the damn game!

What good are features you can't enjoy if the game doesn't work?

What GPU do you have? I can't get a stable 60fps with an overclocked 980.

The performance issues need to be fixed for all players and it needs to be possible to have these features turned on for players not using a 980 Ti or a Titan X.

So I focused my play time on the batmobile since that seems to be the worst of the performance issues for a lot of people. I made a 10 min video which runs into a riddler race. It ran with things maxed and frame rate locked to 30. I am going to unlock it next and give it a shot. Beware my fail moments during the riddler race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVS5gqo2n0

I was expecting it to crash at some point but it didn't.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This was the main thing that caused me to push for a refund (processed by GMG today, thankfully). They haven't even acknowledged that the entire build is fucked besides the performance issues.

d00d3n

I agree, this would be nice. I was ready to play the game in 30 fps with some minor dips. It was the missing AO, rain shader surfaces, depth of field and texture streaming stuff that made me put the game on hold. If they fix these issues I will start to play the game again, probably in 4k in locked 30 fps.

Windforce

Honest question: is this game currently considered a mess only because the PS4 version exists to compare it against, or would people still be furious about it? Is it that bad?

Honest question: is this game currently considered a mess only because the PS4 version exists to compare it against, or would people still be furious about it? Is it that bad?

Performance is abysmal across all types of PC hardware; common graphical features of modern games such as ambient occlusion are missing; there's no built-in option to turn off motion blur or chromatic aberration; Gameworks features don't work for the majority of Nvidia users and are poorly optimized; and the game stutters, freezes, and crashes across all hardware types for inconsistent reasons.

If the console versions didn't exist, people would still be furious.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I am interested to see how this turns out. In my experience, when a programming project goes into full on "shit is on fire, fix it now!" Mode, trowing in a ton of extra people from different companies and expecting them to all work together immediately doesn't always give the best result.
Yes, I don't expect them to release a patch soon precisely because of that.
Surely they are now in that lovely phase of passing the blame around and trying to figure exactly wtf happened.

It'd still be terrible in a vacuum since people with top tier rigs have shit performance that includes stuttering, unstable framerate, freezes, textures not loading, memory leaks and crashes. The PS4 version only makes it look notably worse.

Zakalwe

Banned

Without the comparison of the PS4 and XO:

It would still be a pc game locked at 30fps
It would still be a pc game with terrible performance: stutters, crashes, fluctuating frame rates/dives, textures not loading, etc...
It would still have a poor amount of graphical options
It would still have missing AO (we may not have noticed the rain effect)

The game has been pulled from sale. It has thousands of negative reviews on steam. It has multiple threads here dedicated to discussing how bad it is that have thousands of posts.

Do you really need further clarification that it's really that bad?

Knolli

Since the game is almost unplayable for most of the people, i'd say "it is that bad"

Top Bottom