• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Well, I'm back to trying this again. It's better, but still not that great.

In-game AA is pretty mediocre and injectors do not work (tried the latest Reshade and Radeon Pro). Any tips?

I've spent the better part of an hour playing around with SMAA, and while I can tell that it's working, it's very, very subtle.

What works best with this, in my opinion, is:

In-game AA off, as it's terrible and blurs the picture + highlights too much.
SMAA via Reshade/SweetFX
A bit of FXAA via Reshade/SweetFX
A bit of Bloom added via Reshade/SweetFX

The net result is a slightly less aliased picture (basically only evident in motion), and the Bloom helps bring back some of the highlights that FXAA blurs.

It's far from great, but it's better than the in-game AA blurring everything out, in my opinion. Overall it may be slightly more aliased than the built-in AA, but I'd rather have that and maintain the finer details.

I wanted to try and get DOF working, as a small amount of that would help blur out the horrendous long-range aliasing, but I couldn't work out any values that wouldn't also blur the HUD, or close-range text.

Deasnutz

Banned
I know that, hence my comment regarding the general level of optimization.

Why would Nvidia want the game to run well with all of the settings cranked? The Gameworks features are foremost a means to encourage the purchase of additional or upgraded gpu's. The experience is secondary.

In game AA is fine, it's some variant of SMAA actually. Turn off CA and film grain - these are the cause of most of blurring, not the AA.

In-game AA actually blurs the overall image and softens Bloom-effects on light-sources. Toggling it on and off in the options shows a pretty huge night-and-day difference.

They say it's a "custom" SMAA, which, to me, looks and functions more like FXAA. It does remove some aliasing, but it also drastically reduces image sharpness. It's pretty noticeable on the various chain-link fences.

I'm not a fan, personally.

I think that the injected SMAA doesn't work very well due to the post-effects that are being run on the image by the game. Specifically, the Bloom process that the game runs seems to change the pixels around aliased edges just enough so that the SMAA doesn't detect the color/brightness change fully.

I played it for a few hours today and the SMAA + light FXAA + light Bloom mix I've got is pretty decent in motion, so I'm relatively pleased for now. In general, I still get the odd slowdown/freeze, but it's definitely better than at launch.

If I wasn't enjoying it as much as I am (and I wasn't such a huge fan of the first two) I would absolutely shelve it, though. The performance is still 100% unacceptable for a major PC release from 2015.

ISee

I've got 20 gigs of RAM. Just running at 1080p.

I'm surprised to hear that your driving/gliding sections run so well, so I'm guessing those sections are just CPU limited. I've got a non-K CPU which can't really overclock, so you're running at a much higher clockspeed than I am. Or maybe it's just weirdness with the port.

Seems to be CPU related. I did some testing and CPU load tend to go up to 98-100% during very intense driving scenes.

UrbanRats

So it's been a while.
They patched the game a couple of times... might as well try again, i told myself.

So i re-downloaded the game to test how it would run now.

My specs:
h5SM6WQ.jpg

How i've got the game running (click it to see it in full glory!):
(everything either off or on the lowest possible option, resolution is 640 x 480p, never mind the aspect ratio).

And... the game is still a stuttering (or tearing, since vsync is off) mess, with constant half-a-second freezes, especially every time i call the batmobile.
and this is after how many patches? Lol.

At this point should i just abandon hope?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Batman: Arkham Knight - GameBoy Advance Edition.

If you haven't already installed the game on the SSD, then, yeah, I'd put it on the backburner until your next upgrade.

UrbanRats

Batman: Arkham Knight - GameBoy Advance Edition.

If you haven't already installed the game on the SSD, then, yeah, I'd put it on the backburner until your next upgrade.

I don't think i have enough space on the SSD for it, even if i wanted to.
I guess this is the end of the road.

EDIT: I think the HDD may be the culprit, and admittedly i say it because it's the only thing i can't test.
But putting everything (but shadows and Nvidia effects) to maximum, compared to what i posted above, changes VERY little, i get slightly smoother framerate between the stutters (lol) but then if you lock at 30, you can't tell the difference.

So i'm thinking the stutter and the freezes are probably caused by the game having to stream in more data from the hard drive.
Especially since it seems that they are more frequent when i fly around.

Another issue i've had since launch, is the sound going away for like 4 or 5 seconds at times, and that i have no idea what causes it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I'd finally start this and it runs at 60fps most of the time, but driving the Bat mobile is another story, I can't maintain 60 without dips even on the lowest settings possible.

Edit: Gliding is the same, it seems whenever you're moving faster than running the game starts to chug and drop frames. On the plus side I'm getting no stuttering at all and the game looks incredible, the character models especially.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So it's been a while.
They patched the game a couple of times... might as well try again, i told myself.

So i re-downloaded the game to test how it would run now.

My specs:
h5SM6WQ.jpg

How i've got the game running (click it to see it in full glory!):
(everything either off or on the lowest possible option, resolution is 640 x 480p, never mind the aspect ratio).

And... the game is still a stuttering (or tearing, since vsync is off) mess, with constant half-a-second freezes, especially every time i call the batmobile.
and this is after how many patches? Lol.

At this point should i just abandon hope?

I have similar specs to you but the only difference is I have 16gbs of RAM in comparison to 8. I also don't have an SSD drive and my i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.0GHz. I played through the whole of the game with the framerate between 45 to 60fps, with a lot of times it being at 60fps. Not a stable framerate but definitely not a stuttering mess though I had a few odd hitches very infrequently. This was with everything on high and all the Nvidia fancy options turned off.

After playing the game more (still got a bit to go) I can say that changing the PoolSize variable in the .ini file helped alleviate some of the stuttering.

Basically, in BMEngine.ini, it'll look something like this:
[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=4096

I've got a 980, so I've got the full 4GB of VRAM (hence the PoolSize value I've set). It defaults to 512, which is pretty low. (Make sure to set the file to Read-only, if you change anything)

This is an old fix, but it still seems to help. After enabling this, I only rarely get those full-freezes, and it helped reduce the slowdown while gliding (Batmobile is still pretty much hit or miss).

ISee

Does playing on a SSD help with alleviating the stuttering problem?

Right after Release WB advised people to install Arkham Knight on SSDs.

Streaming performance on mechanical hard drives is one of the “top short-term priorities”, but if you have an SSD, installing Batman: Arkham Knight to that will likely improve streaming performance (thus surprising nobody who knows what SSDs do). Oh, and don’t bugger about with the size of your page file, because Windows handles that automatically and “leaving this at the default settings will provide an optimal experience when playing Arkham Knight.”

But I have no idea if they really managed to fix the initial HDD problems by now.
Also watch this video. AK seems to suffer from poor VRAM useage and maybe this is the reason for stuttering on your PC and not the HDD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiHnM6mMbEc
watch the entire video or skip to around 1:42.

Kezen

Banned
Does playing on a SSD help with alleviating the stuttering problem?

From the various reports yes it does but expect some degree of stutter to remain.
Thankfully in my case it's not intrusive at all, a little stutter here and here, but it might be enough to deter those who are highly sensitive to it.

UrbanRats

I have similar specs to you but the only difference is I have 16gbs of RAM in comparison to 8. I also don't have an SSD drive and my i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.0GHz. I played through the whole of the game with the framerate between 45 to 60fps, with a lot of times it being at 60fps. Not a stable framerate but definitely not a stuttering mess though I had a few odd hitches very infrequently. This was with everything on high and all the Nvidia fancy options turned off.

Not sure if it's a memory problem, since everything on low or maxed out, it changes very little, but this year i'll have to expand my RAM anyway.
JC3 also gave me problems because of 8gb of ram.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a GTX 670 with 2GB VRAM and only the low textures work without giving massive stuttering but the game still occasionally stutters while driving the bat-mobile. The problem is that the game looks terrible on low textures at 1080p resolution. I tried setting normal textures and it's ridiculous how the game stutters even on 720p resolution. The craptastic stutterfest is the same as if I was running the game at 1080p.

I doubt using a SSD would help much with the issue when the game optimization is fundamentally non-existent. If the game performs as poorly as it does now, I'm horrified to think how it was at launch.

Even Unity was running fine and stutter-free after 6 months. This really takes the cake in recent history as the shoddiest PC port.

In contrast recent open world games like GTAV, Mad Max, Fallout4, Syndicate, MGSV run without stutter on mostly high settings. Even TW3 after a few patches, runs fine and looks good.

So I decided to boot up the PC version the other day and currently it seems to work just fine. A bit of warning though this game eats up memory. Even on low textures the game would use up nearly 6GB so I went ahead and maxed everything except smoke/fog and paper debris effects.
i5 4670K @ 4.0ghz, 16GB memory, GTX 960 2GB running off a mechanical 1 TB drive.
I was able to max out the game despite the 3.2GB vram warning. Getting 50 - 60 fps using RTSS & borderless gaming. (Mostly 60 fps with a stable frame timing of 16.6ms)
Btw what type of AA solution is recommended since the in-game AA does more harm than good to IQ.

So I decided to boot up the PC version the other day and currently it seems to work just fine. A bit of warning though this game eats up memory. Even on low textures the game would use up nearly 6GB so I went ahead and maxed everything except smoke/fog and paper debris effects.
i5 4670K @ 4.0ghz, 16GB memory, GTX 960 2GB running off a mechanical 1 TB drive.
I was able to max out the game despite the 3.2GB vram warning. Getting 50 - 60 fps using RTSS & borderless gaming. (Mostly 60 fps with a stable frame timing of 16.6ms)
Btw what type of AA solution is recommended since the in-game AA does more harm than good to IQ.

I would like to know that too. I was questioning the effects to the image quality while I had it on. I think with it on it is just FXAA and it seems to be grayed out in the Nvidia control panel. I might just turn it off.

EDIT: I read that some people have been getting better results with SweetFX

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
bought a key for £7 so I'm ready to play this. Does it work with reshade-sweetfx? I've just about discovered it and made a WORLD of difference with Fallout 4

kinggroin

Banned
I don't see anyone making the argument that it cannot be a much better experience on the right specs, but objectively stuttering still remains, that's all my frametimes graph was meant to demonstrate.

Those who are ultra sensitive to frametime variances can forget about 60fps. I have not tested at 30fps with RTSS and I have no intention of doing so, by my standards the 60fps I'm getting is good enough but then again I'm the kind of weirdo who would take this kind of 60fps over 30fps.

I forgot to add that I was running maximum settings save for the two heaviest Gameworks effects which are too taxing for my 980 if I'm aiming for 60fps.
GPU usage never goes above 80%, 70% most of the time I benched.

Kind of. It is better than the console versions, definitely. But unless they fixed the inability to get 60 fps even on the lowest settings 720p with a titan x and a 5820K... then I still think the game and its engine is fundamentally broken in a specific, pc-centric way.

No I get all that and I agree. Just believe this is a fundamentally messed up game that will never reach an ideal benchmark. Better than console is about the extent this bad port will manage.

Spiegel

I've been playing the game for many days but since yesterday when I boot the game there is text missing in some places. For example, there is no text on the main menu but the images work. Subtitles are working also.

Does anyone have found a fix for this? I searched for a solution but I can only find people with the same problem and zero fixes for the issue.

Kezen

Banned
I've been playing the game for many days but since yesterday when I boot the game there is text missing in some places. For example, there is no text on the main menu but the images work. Subtitles are working also.

Does anyone have found a fix for this? I searched for a solution but I can only find people with the same problem and zero fixes for the issue.

Try the usual files check.

Patch/News Notes-

Hi Everyone,

The latest patch for Batman: Arkham Knight was released today and contains the following updates:
Added support for January DLC content
Fixed issues with the benchmark map which could occur after installing the Season of Infamy: Most Wanted Expansion content
Resolved an issue on some notebook PC hardware where the screen flickers on launch. Users will require the latest Nvidia drivers and Microsoft Windows drivers installed.
Fixed some keyboard and mouse prompts functioning incorrectly after certain keys had been rebound.
Fixed an issue on the in-game store where free DLCs were shown to have a value of “.0”
Addressed an issue where rebinding keys could cause quickfire gadget attacks to work incorrectly for Batgirl, Red Hood or Harley Quinn
Miscellaneous DLC gameplay fixes and stability improvements
We'll be releasing Crime Fighter Challenge Pack #6 in a few hours in order to allow everyone some time to get the latest patch. We'll update this post when the roll out is complete.

UPDATE @ 2:40pm Pacific - Challenge Pack #6 is now live and free for all. Please restart your Steam client, and it will be downloaded automatically (if it hasn't already). Enjoy!

b0uncyfr0

So i grabbed this last night and fired it up this morning. Pretty good i'd say. Performance isn't spectacular but its decent.

Im running an oc'd 290x and 2500k and pulling 45-60 fps @2880x1620. Im running this resolution so i dont have to turn on the AA, i absolutely dont like the effect the in-game AA has on light sources. Light Shafts and Rain are ON too.

The first thing that's really bugging me though is the FOV when batman is walking. Its damn nauseating. Is there a guaranteed way to increase?

ss_lemonade

So I got the premium edition for a good price after finishing Arkham City and while it seems to run pretty good on my laptop at max everything with the debris setting off (that seems to tank my framerates a lot), I noticed the game would get into a stutter frenzy after several minutes of stutter free gameplay. I already have it installed on an ssd (nvme so things should in theory be pretty zippy) and I also have 16gb of ram. Is this something you just have to live with when going through the pc port?

Locuza

The gift that keeps on giving:
Batman: Arkham Knight no longer coming to Mac and Linux
We are very sorry to confirm that Batman: Arkham Knight will no longer be coming to Mac and Linux. If you have pre-ordered Batman: Arkham Knight for Mac or Linux, please apply for a refund via Steam.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/405690850600936914/

After the huge problems around the launch and with DX11 this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Schlomo

I got another 8 GB of RAM yesterday for a total of 16 GB, and that really makes a difference in this game. The stutter during fast gliding/driving is noticeably improved.

Other than that, the game was already running fine and looking beautiful on my system (4690K, GTX 970, SSD).

Just coming by to thank the OP and the people who contributed to the thread.

Those tweaks with the ini files have proven very useful so far.

Just coming by to thank the OP and the people who contributed to the thread.

Those tweaks with the ini files have proven very useful so far.

Agreed. Bought the Premium PC pack and this thread is a god send. All I wanted was a close to console experience and what I got was 50-60 frames with no noticeable lag.

wazoo

I was trying to make SweetFX working for weeks. It seems this is impossible now (was working at launch).

In fact, with no AA and DSR, the game is beautiful and run very well with gsync maxed out on my 970.

Kazuhira

In-game AA is terrible unless you downsample,i get about ~30fps with 3360x2100(i don't dare to drive the batmobile though) and rains looks beautiful,it's barely noticeable at lower resolutions unless you're near a neon sign etc
2520x1440 is the sweetspot in my case and textures seem to load faster too.
All my settings are either in low or off,i don't notice anything difference tbh(except for enhanced rain)

NeoBob688

I just got this game. It seems to perform very well now. Good 60 FPS (maybe very minor dibs due out of date GPU) and no stuttering at all. Glad I waited ;)

Geforce 770 (4 GB)
Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.7 GhZ
16 GB DDR4 @ 3200 MhZ
Solid State Drive

I just got this game. It seems to perform very well now. Good 60 FPS (maybe very minor dibs due out of date GPU) and no stuttering at all. Glad I waited ;)

Geforce 770 (4 GB)
Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.7 GhZ
16 GB DDR4 @ 3200 MhZ
Solid State Drive

Awesome, thanks for the update. I'm about to nab this up for my 1080 and was wondering how things where now performance wise. I got to play a little bit of this on my xbox due to a free redbox rental and I loved what I played. Can't wait.

Top Bottom