• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate |OT| Batvania

Takao

Banned
53cLrss.png

Developer: Armature
Publisher: Warner Brothers
Platform(s): PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS
Release Date(s):

PlayStation Vita
  • North America: October 25th
  • Europe: October 25th
  • Australia: October 25th
  • United Kingdom: October 25th
  • Japan: December 5th
Nintendo 3DS
  • North America: October 25th
  • Europe: October 31st
  • Australia: November 6th
  • United Kingdom: November 8th

Running on the Bluepoint Engine, this handheld Metroidvania release is set three months after the events of Arkham Origins and told through comic book style cutscenes. A mysterious explosion at Blackgate Prison allows Joker, Penguin and Black Mask to each gather enough henchmen in order to take over their own section of the prison. After being informed that Blackgate has been separated into three sections: the Cell Block, the Industrial Area, and the Administration Offices, Batman goes to investigate and he quickly learns that there is more to this than your average uprising. Batman will also meet Catwoman and others for the first time, and begin to forge a relationship with a young Captain Gordon.

Takao

Banned
I'm sorry for the incredibly bare OT, but there hasn't been a lot of media for this game.

For those wondering about platform differences, both will run at a solid 30fps. Vita version will be native res, and obviously look better than the 3DS version due to that. Vita gets more touchscreen usage with detective mode. 3DS has a dedicated map on the bottom screen & has stereoscopic 3D that works "really well".

Yanikun

Banned
Do we know if it's going to be available on the eShop? I'm really looking forward to it but I have an NA 3DS and I'm in Europe, so I'm digital-only for this year. I'm really excited for this, in fact I already have $40 saved up for it on my eShop account, but that was before I realize the game doesn't even have its own page on there and Nintendo's website makes no mention of an eShop version.

I'm still unsure about this and am waiting for impressions. I'm getting a Castlevania Mirror of Fate vibe from this, and the videos have looked weird to me so far.

Im a little concerned about how this game is going to turn out based on the slow trickle of any info about it and so little gameplay shown.

Cautiously optimistic.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm more interested in this more than Origin...

Same here, this look like it's doing new stuff and metroidvania too (I liked AA more than AC because of the metroidvania feel of it and also many other reasons) while Origin seems to be the same old tired formula as Arkham City but in new location. Also Armature are ex Retro guys, so yeah.

I already got a pre order for Blackgate, will get Origin when it get cheaper on steam.

Rizsparky

Im a little concerned about how this game is going to turn out based on the slow trickle of any info about it and so little gameplay shown.

Cautiously optimistic.

Probably a action packed but linear game, I'm not expecting much from this but I'm still planning on picking it up.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm definitely more excited for the console/PC game but if this turns out well I'll probably get it too. Lord knows my Vita needs anything decent it can get.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I won't be picking this up day one, but I really enjoyed what I played of the Vita version at E3. The controls worked well, the visuals were really good, and the combat was fun. My only real complaint was that Batman moved super slow, so it felt stiff. Sprinting or running seemed to fix that though.

The Arkham combat translated really well to the 2.5D plane, and to be honest, it just made me wonder why they didn't just do a 3D Batman game on the Vita. The system can totally pull it off. The game really does look amazing running on the Vita.

The few screens and videos that I've seen haven't done much for me but Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games so if the reviews are at least decent I'll get Blackgate for the Vita.

I haven't bought a game in a while but between this, the console version, Lego Marvel and Phoenix Wright, next week is going to be hard on my wallet !

Alchemy

Will wait for reviews, but I hope its good. I just don't trust shoving an established franchise onto another developer, and watching them clone the previous game in the series.

nordique

Really hope this sells well for both Vita and 3DS.

The Vita version looks fantastic visually, really like the lighting.

3DS holds up nicely too which is good for us 3DS only owners (and I will be getting 3DS version)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Will wait for reviews, but I hope its good. I just don't trust shoving an established franchise onto another developer, and watching them clone the previous game in the series.

You're in the wrong OT lol.

I'm excited for this one. I hope the Vita version looks nice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When do reviews hit for this? I'll pick it up if it seems solid.

Do we know if it's going to be available on the eShop? I'm really looking forward to it but I have an NA 3DS and I'm in Europe, so I'm digital-only for this year. I'm really excited for this, in fact I already have $40 saved up for it on my eShop account, but that was before I realize the game doesn't even have its own page on there and Nintendo's website makes no mention of an eShop version.

The eShop logo is at the end of the trailer in the OP.

no angel

This looks a bit like shadow complex. Is it like shadow complex? Please let it be like shadow complex.

(I enjoyed shadow complex)

MrDaravon

Oh goddamn, this totally slipped off my radar. I hope it turns out good and that the 3DS version is at least comparable to the Vita version; all of the footage being for one platform always makes me nervous.

GetemMa

Really hope this sells well for both Vita and 3DS.

The Vita version looks fantastic visually, really like the lighting.

3DS holds up nicely too which is good for us 3DS only owners (and I will be getting 3DS version)

Yeah it's a weird thing, I just got a Vita, but I still think I'm getting this on 3DS.

I think the 2nd screen for the map and gadgets will be more useful than upscaled textures and better lighting.

Really wish this one got more press. Way more interesting than the crazy safe console version.

The only real impressions around are ' wow the combat is like the console one'.

I wanna know more about the vaniaess.

andthebeatgoeson

Can someone make me feel better? Won't be able to buy this until next year and I feel bad. Too many games, not enough time. I need a 36 hour day.

Top Bottom