• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Negotiations Break Down With Director Matt Reeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymuth

And that wouldn't be something Miller or Moore would do?
My knowledge of Moore is mostly second-hand I got from reading other poster's view...so I can't comment on that.

Miller, tho? Absolutely not but that's only because Batman would be the one committing the act.

desperate.jpg

Fucking look at that grin.

they could also even mine their print stuff to see what has worked and what hasn't, which is *surprise* what Marvel has been doing, and what Fox has begun to do with Deadpool and Logan.

Batman v. Superman was a mess BECAUSE it ignored what has actually resonated with fans in favor of what Zack Snyder thinks is edgy.

Mining the print material is arguably what they did with BvS by injecting so much of The Dark Knight Returns. They just fucked it up completely.

Alienous

Mining the print material is arguably what they did with BvS by injecting so much of The Dark Knight Returns. They just fucked it up completely.

Mining the print material doesn't just mean mining the images.

Take away the visuals (e.g. Batman's armor, Superman's casket) and BvS adapts nothing from any existing DC comic storyline I can think of.

Most studios, for their theatrically released superhero fare, seem allergic to the notion of directly adapting the graphic novels/story arcs that are very successful in shining a light on the best aspects of these characters.

They just... don't do it. Pretty much refuse to, in fact.

Marvel's got their lane, obviously. Pretty much paved the whole freeway, really.
Fox has discovered their lane, which is the same lane Warners keeps trying to drunk drive into
Sony's decided to basically draft off Marvel's wake directly.

What are those three studios NOT doing that you can do and do well?

They're all not adapting their source material directly
They're all not aiming specifically at families
They're all not considering big-budget animation as a viable option.

Superhero films have been big business (some of the biggest, period) over the last 20 years and yet that lane is still completely unoccupied. (Sony's about to try it first, though)

Yet WB is going to continue trying to take some of the most iconic and inspirational stable of godlike superheroes (I don't mean the adjective godlike in the hyperbolically complimentary way it gets used here sometime, I mean literally deity-like) and swerving them drunkenly into Fox's lane and scraping all the paint against the guardrail.

Fox is doing what WB wants to do with their characters. Which makes WB's failure all the more pointed if they really are looking at Marvel and trying to replicate that. Because it means threw a fat dart at one target and wound up barely glancing off the board one over before quailing to the floor and sticking there.

Tace

This is just a mild prelude.
The internet is gonna catch on fire once Justice League comes out and inevitably disappoints critically. And if Thor 3 reviews better (which is likely), I fully expect nukes.

And No Man's Land already happened, it was called The Dark Knight Rises and it was glorious.

If Thor 3 does better than JL...the threads on that are going to be glorious.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Is anyone honestly excited for Justice League? It's the goddamn Justice League and the hype train for it hasn't even left the station.

Sojgat

I know it's unlikely at this point, but what happens if Justice League turns out to be really good? What happens then?

Tace

Ragnarok is almost certain to be a better, more entertaining, more satisfying movie than Justice League.

I absolutely expect that to be the case.

I don't doubt that one bit. I'm sure Marvel is aware of the problems Thor 2 had. It will review better. But if it makes more money too...DC could be in bigger trouble than even we realize. I worry they are starting to devalue their biggest characters to the public. The box office will tell

JJH

I know it's unlikely at this point, but what happens if Justice League turns out to be really good? What happens then?

I honestly thinking all this drama from WB is coming out because of Justice League. They must not have much faith in it since it's all in post production now.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It wont.
What factor leads you to believe it will, honestly. Same director and even worse, the same writer. Heck, the cinematographer from BVS is gone, so even arguably the best thing about the movie will no longer be there. It will actually be worse than BVS, definitely when it comes to the look of the film.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It wont.
What factor leads you to believe it will, honestly. Same director and even worse, the same writer. Heck, the cinematographer from BVS is gone, so even arguably the best thing about the movie will no longer be there. It will actually be worse than BVS, definitely when it comes to the look of the film.

Most superhero films wish they could look like BvS. God damn was that pretty at points.

The biggest mistake WB made regarding Justice League was scheduling the start of the shoot two weeks after BvS came out. It gave them no time to adjust but probably made them nervous enough to fuck with whatever plan Snyder had. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being worse than BvS. I do hope I'm wrong of course.

Sojgat

It wont.

Based on the last season of Game of Thrones, it will likely still be a nice looking movie, but yeah, I don't actually think it's going to be very good.

I'm just wondering what impact it has on the decision making process at Warner Brothers if it ends up reviewing well. They probably have to stay the course either way I guess.

The biggest mistake WB made regarding Justice League was scheduling the start of the shoot two weeks after BvS came out. It gave them no time to adjust but probably made them nervous enough to fuck with whatever plan Snyder had. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being worse than BvS. I do hope I'm wrong of course.

I cannot fathom JL being worse than BvS. Maybe if Snyder gets his wish and Batman is sodomized on screen...

I think one of Justice League's biggest problems is that all of its ingredients suggest a very specific kind of dish, and they will instead be used to make something that tastes different.

Basically - imagine this creative team assembling all the pieces for something cool and badass and being told that you have to make these cool, badass people also be lighthearted jokers. In the environment they've built and established. In the universe they've created and populated.

It's like asking the taciturn right tackle on your high school football team to get up at a talent show and do 20 minutes of stand-up before ripping a phonebook in half.

Cipherr

Everything goes back to normal and a lot of people that love DC properties stop the persecution complex. It's really getting bad, but once both sides are delivering movies people like again, we can all go back to liking the good films from DC and Marvel and laughing at Thor.

Paradise.

Alienous

The DCEU limps forward.

The true test of its viability will be films like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. The films that don't have Batman in them, basically - the hope of the DCEU is that these characters get some of Batman's box office results via osmosis.

I can see Justice League being worse than Batman vs Superman. Maybe the added humour will be the main positive coming out of it. And Aquaman finally being cool? lol

Lebron

Nolan ain't coming back. After he picked Snyders dumbass and he still went against some his suggestions for MoS? Nah. Bye girl. Nolan making Oscar "notice me" films from now on until one of them bombs and he's knocked off the mountain.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Nolan ain't coming back. After he picked Snyders dumbass and he still went against some his suggestions for MoS? Nah. Bye girl. Nolan making Oscar "notice me" films from now on until one of them bombs and he's knocked off the mountain.

Too true.

Jigorath

Banned
I don't doubt that one bit. I'm sure Marvel is aware of the problems Thor 2 had. It will review better. But if it makes more money too...DC could be in bigger trouble than even we realize. I worry they are starting to devalue their biggest characters to the public. The box office will tell

I'm expecting Thor 3, GOTG2, and Spidey to all outgross Justice League. I don't even think it'll be close. Justice League will do worse than BvS.

IconGrist

Nolan had no suggestions, he just didn't agree on killing Zod and then Goyer and Snyder talked him into it and he gave the okay. But sure, just make up shit. That's cool too.

- J - D -

I can see Justice League being worse than Batman vs Superman. Maybe the added humour will be the main positive coming out of it. And Aquaman finally being cool? lol

No freakin way. Short of Batman getting prison violated and Superman murdering Wonder Woman I can't imagine a scenario where Justice League is worse than the nadir of the genre, otherwise known as Batman v Superman.

If Thor 3 does better than JL...the threads on that are going to be glorious.

It won't. I think it will likely be better and far more interesting, but Thor 3's ceiling and JL floor are probably pretty close.

BvS was terrible and likely fell well short of WB's expectations, but it still got a high number. JL would have to be really terrible and audiences would have to start caring far more about how terrible it is for it be short of Thor 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom