• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

Twentieth

Matchmaking is pissing me off. A team with three lvl 1 players shouldn't be matched against one with three lvl 15+.

I've won tons of matches as Miko, but never won a single match as another character. After 15 matches, I'll just accept that I'm terrible. Bye bye Battleborn.

I think it's the lack of damage. Coming from Overwatch and TF2 before it, I think I just have a built in expectation that bow & arrow setups will inherently do significantly more damage due to the increased degree of difficulty involved in landing shots.

ergo, if I can't kill people with 2 arrows, I'd rather use someone else. might just be me, but that was my opinion after giving her a go. she is strong, though. just have to spam skills when they're up. they're a pretty huge chuck of her damage package.

In general terms, the damage of everyone is low. It's part of the design of the game, so people have time to try to retreat, to use skills as counters, time for an ally to come and save you, etc. It's part of the compromise between FPS and MOBA.
It isn't bad or good, it's just another style, you just need to acclimate yourself to it, in a few days it will feel natural.

Flunkie

Banned
any word on technical/FOV improvements on the PS4 side of things? all my friends are getting it there despite PC version being best. :(

any word on technical/FOV improvements on the PS4 side of things? all my friends are getting it there despite PC version being best. :(

I'm also stuck on whether to get the PS4 or PC version. I don't have any friends playing on either platform so don't have that to worry about, I'm just wondering where the community is going to last long term?

JCH!

Man, what a mess.

I was part of the Closed Beta ages ago and it honestly doesn't feel as if anything has changed except the addition of new characters that I can't use anyway because they are locked (what's the point of having locked characters during a beta test? aren't we supposed to be testing stuff and looking for bugs?).

Matchmaking is horrible. First game my team won in what felt like less than 5 minutes, second one we get matched against a team with a a couple lvl 12+ when we were all levels 1-2 and get stomped.

Performance is all over the place and it definitely does not look like it should. Why is the default FPS option set to 'Smooth 22-55'? Gearbox pls I'm running a 980.

I'll try playing a couple more games today to see if maybe I just had bad luck with the matchmaking yesterday but it doesn't look good.

So far I've had more fun with the DOOM beta, and that's saying a lot.

Got to play some more to grind character unlocks. I've got all the characters I wanted to get.

So far, I'm loving Attikus, Whiskey Foxtrot, and Orendi. I love their gameplay, and their overall designs. The supports in this game are also fun, but I've only played Ambra so far. I like how she can double as a healer, like Miko. Her heal seems pretty potent with a sunspot on the field. I've got a feeling that I would really enjoy Reyna and Miko. Maybe I'll give them a try tomorrow.

Ugh I'm so bad with Reyna. Her damage is low so you really have to play support with ther, buffing allies shields and marking targets. Problem is, depending of other players in this game is still not a good idea. It seems most people still don't know how to use the battlegear.

Remmy2112

Ugh I'm so bad with Reyna. Her damage is low so you really have to play support with ther, buffing allies shields and marking targets. Problem is, depending of other players in this game is still not a good idea. It seems most people still don't know how to use the battlegear.

If you can go for headshots her damage is actually pretty good, for a support. You should also be marking every enemy you face. If it is not being used every cooldown it is a waste. Upgrade her pistol damage and get the upgrade that allows the plasma gauntlet shots to home in on marked targets. It is amazing, especially on Benedict. Screw you birdman!

petghost

Banned
Hey I'm looking for general impressions about the game. I played the previous beta and was wondering how much it's changed and how people generally feel about it.

Anyone got some insights?

J Range

Ive never played a moba before. I feel like im playing this all wrong and am getting smashed. Any tips for new moba players?

Ive never played a moba before. I feel like im playing this all wrong and am getting smashed. Any tips for new moba players?

My biggest piece of advice is don't over commit. I see a TON of people rushing into the whole enemy team to take down the low health player, even if you get the trade it's not worth it. Also, as someone who has been primarily playing support, be aware of where your teammates are, especially your support.

Drewfonse

Game is just fun for me. And I'm exclusively playing the co op campaign missions. I've played them both 3-4 times and they're still fun. If I can manage to wrap my head around the PvP, this could really become a favorite of mine.

I wonder if I can juggle this and Overwatch. And Dark Souls, Ratchet and Ckank, etc. DECISIONS, DECISIONS

ObiDin

Hey I'm looking for general impressions about the game. I played the previous beta and was wondering how much it's changed and how people generally feel about it.

I played the closed technical beta, and this beta "feels" better in every way. The menu system still sucks but the gameplay feels more polished and the upgrades for the characters feel like they are actual upgrades and can change the way you play. I swear the game looks better on X1 as well. I'm liking the progression system and unlocks for characters.

Overall, I went from maybe buying this after a discount to day one.

docbon

I knew the dialogue in the co-op missions can vary between attempts, but I didn't know it could be affected by which characters you bring along. Phoebe in particular has some banter between herself and ISIC / Kleese.

-I think they increased move speed by +10%, and it feels a bit more snappy.
-Performance is a bit increased.
-They changed the supply station from one position in the center to two positions for each -time in the middle area.
-Some geometry addition to the area of the big shards at the side of each lane, making it a bit less open.
-All the characters included
-Incursion game mode.

Overall, it's the same game.

Drewfonse

Just tried it on XB1 after playing it for a while on PS4. Feels and looks exactly the same except for elite controller vs dual shock 4. #nocontest

Indignate

I tried her once and sucked. It seemed like peeps could always just run away and I couldnt do shit when that teleport on cooldown. Any basic strategy for her? I think I just have a hard time with melee characters in general.

Take the increased movement speed and slow on the enemy for when you teleport. This makes it so people can't get away from you. Other than that, take most damage increasing talents. I think the only tanky ability I take is the resistance on right clicking.

With any melee character, you have to pick your targets. If someone has an escape, you have to make sure they use it before you commit to killing them, either by making them pop it early by just going up and fighting them before you pop your chase (in this case, Phoebe's Teleport) or by waiting for them to use it as an initiation or in some other dumb manner (Shayne's do this a lot with their invisibility, although I still found invisible characters easy to rundown as they have that predator thing going on). On Incursion, most of the range characters who can't really get away sit up on the cliff and just take pop shots. As Phoebe, it's very easy to just teleport up there and kill them before their team knows what happened. Once you get your ult, as long as the enemy isn't incredibly fed, you can duel anyone in the game besides maybe a Rath doing his spin to win thing.

I'm not sure what gear is best for her, as I haven't really experimented with that aspect of the game much. I would assume Attack Speed, maybe cooldown and shield stuff.

In general terms, the damage of everyone is low. It's part of the design of the game, so people have time to try to retreat, to use skills as counters, time for an ally to come and save you, etc. It's part of the compromise between FPS and MOBA.
It isn't bad or good, it's just another style, you just need to acclimate yourself to it, in a few days it will feel natural.

Thorn is just underwhelming. Marquis does what she does so much better.

Popparoks

Never played a MOBA before. The game was pretty fun to play!

I haven't tried everyone, i like thorn and miko though. I like Ninja/Monk characters.

I hate how there is usually a window for your opponent to run near death. I'm guessing that's typical for a MOBA? i'm still not used to not chasing them down and getting killed by everybody else haha.

I also feel like the humor tries kind of hard to be Borderlands 2, it just comes off as corny to me to be honest. Still a good game though

sflufan

Banned
Unlike Borderlands, I'm not sure that the story mode can be effectively solo'ed. There are a few sequences that just seem to require multiple human players to make them tolerable, even on Normal difficulty.

The bosses -- even the mini-bosses -- are far too bullet-spongy to be soloed without it being kinda annoying and painful. Furthermore, I don't see how that one sequence in The Void's Edge mission where you have to launch a player into an upper level in order for them to lower a shield barrier can be accomplished by one person unless the game changes that particular dynamic for a solo player.

This isn't a complaint, just an observation for anyone who is considering picking this up with the intention of playing the story missions solo.

Warxard

Banned
Lol is Zayne supposed to be Shayne?

Whatever!

Unlike Borderlands, I'm not sure that the story mode can be effectively solo'ed. There are a few sequences that just seem to require multiple human players to make them tolerable, even on Normal difficulty.

The bosses -- even the mini-bosses -- are far too bullet-spongy to be soloed without it being kinda annoying and painful. Furthermore, I don't see how that one sequence in The Void's Edge mission where you have to launch a player into an upper level in order for them to lower a shield barrier can be accomplished by one person unless the game changes that particular dynamic for a solo player.

This isn't a complaint, just an observation for anyone who is considering picking this up with the intention of playing the story missions solo.

Doesn't the game scales with Solo play? I mean, like the group activators for mission progression seems to be reduced when Solo.

I don't believe this to be true. I've been grinding the story mode solo just to unlock certain characters.

It's really only hard on advanced, in my opinion. I will say however, that some heroes it is hard on solo. Example, Attikus has a really hard time against Magnum ISIC during the stage where he turns into a skull and starts throwing you around the arena. For a melee hero, that part IS frustratingly difficult. Otherwise, I don't believe the campaign will be difficult solo. Once you find the areas where you can critical hit an enemy, any character can take advantage of that; even the melee ones.

Anyone know if beating the two available story missions on advanced unlocks Ghalt or if you have to reach command rank 40?

How you play the missions on Advanced, in the first place? I see the option in private match, but how to do it in a public game?

In other news, you know your team was bad when you are the one who killed most minions in Incursion... with Miko, with his shitty kunai and investing part of your time healing your teammates instead of fighting.

Trigonx

I must be getting lucky with good randoms and being decent at this game, so far I am 25-6 in my matches so far. Might be buying this if I have people to play with.

Wow... just had a game as Marquis with some high lvl players that sucked, they didn't even bother killing minions, so i had to waste my dps on minions and not on their healers.

Drewfonse

Still trying to wrap my head around Incursion. So, I kills their minions, upgrade my turrets, but how do i hire minions? And how do i hire those crazy looking, high health, high armor ones. I want to learn this shit, because I really like the game, but it's a bit overwhelming.

Any other basic stuff that I should be doing, other than dying a lot?

Still trying to wrap my head around Incursion. So, I kills their minions, upgrade my turrets, but how do i hire minions? And how do i hire those crazy looking, high health, high armor ones. I want to learn this shit, because I really like the game, but it's a bit overwhelming.

To hire the big mercenary you need to kill it in their camp ( they stand somewhere on the map and stay there) and then go on the circle platform for a couple of seconds.

Minions appears automatically after a certain time. You can hire a big robot for 300 shard on a certain platform just like you do when you upgrade a turret.

Drewfonse

Minions appears automatically after a certain time. You can hire a big robot for 300 shard on a certain platform just like you do when you upgrade a turret.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks. Is that platform in the same spot every game?

So:

kill opposing players

Kill their minions

Upgrade turrets (is this worth it)

Hire badass

Anything I'm missing. Anything I should prioritize? Thanks!

Ok, thanks. This is stupid, but how do i even hire the basic ones? I feel like an infant playing this game.
The basic ones are the Thrall mercs with no sword and shield on your base. It's right next to the path that leads you downhill to the middle of the map. There's only one and you can solo it and then secure the base to summon one to fight for you. Summoning Thralls don't cost any shards.

Any other basic stuff that I should be doing, other than dying a lot?

Apart from the normal, automatic minions, you can spend 300 scrap for spawning the "fat" ones, it's in some middle point between your base and the forward robot you have to defend, and also there are three mercenary thrall points, one at the side of each team and the third point in the middle of the map. They don't cost scrap but you have to defeat them first to be able to recruit them, standing on their platform for a few second. Imo, the double push of both fat minions and thralls are what it really helps advancing.

Things to know from the map:
-You can attack/defend from the ground, following the minion's path.
-You have a high ground point near each robot, where people snipe each other's.
-In a side there is a some kind of interior warehouse or hangar that can be used for flanking, if the enemy is a bit on a forward position.
-Near the center there is a big flat open area. It has two big scrap points and the middle thrall point. It's a hard point, you have to defeat two of them instead of one, but it also spawns two of them one conquested. It can be accessed normally and also each team have a small cliff in a side from where they can drop off.

Drewfonse

Great info, thanks. I'm starting to understand. I didnt realize that the thrall were neutral until defeated. Wow, this mode is pretty complicated, but I'm enjoying just trying to contribute.

Is the other vs mode fun? Just as complicated? Thanks a lot guys.

Great info, thanks. I'm starting to understand. I didnt realize that the thrall were neutral until defeated. Wow, this mode is pretty complicated, but I'm enjoying just trying to contribute.

Is the other vs mode fun? Just as complicated? Thanks a lot guys.

The trick with the thralls is that they are tanky as fuck so defeating them can cost you 40 seconds or so, that's time you aren't helping your team, so it's a risk vs reward thing.

The other mode is fun yeah. It has less tendency to "ties", with teams being equal and not being able to advance, as it works with a scoring system (points are given when your minion reach a point).

It has the same deployable upgrade system, and you also can hire the fatties, but there is no thralls. In exchange instead of a long lane of minions, there are two short ones going in parallel (symmetric map), so you have to attack one, and then decide what to do in between waves, if go for scrap, harass enemy players or change lanes.

Drewfonse

The trick with the thralls is that they are tanky as fuck so defeating them can cost you 40 seconds or so, that's time you aren't helping your team, so it's a risk vs reward thing.

The other mode is fun yeah. It has less tendency to "ties", with teams being equal and not being able to advance, as it works with a scoring system (points are given when your minion reach a point).

It has the same deployable upgrade system, and you also can hire the fatties, but there is no thralls. In exchange instead of a long lane of minions, there are two short ones going in parallel (symmetric map), so you have to attack one, and then decide what to do in between waves, if go for scrap, harass enemy players or change lanes.

Fantastic., thanks.

I watched a couple of how-to videos on YouTube and it's starting to make sense. This is almost certainly a buy for me.

Last question: all of the "equipment" that you pick up at the end of story missions are basically items that you have to use shards to activate during both co op and PvP matches, right? You make a load out and then choose if and when to activate your buffs? Is there anything else to it? Any more permanent aspects rather than temporary buffs?

Effect

I like what I'm seeing so far in terms of how it runs, arena design, sound, movement, except one thing and it's a big one. I hate not being able to play a character just because someone was quicker at picking them. I hate this about mobas and it's a massive deal breaker here for me. This game seems to work really well when it comes to the range combat. Melee is a problem I feel.

I like what I'm seeing so far in terms of how it runs, arena design, sound, movement, except one thing and it's a big one. I hate not being able to play a character just because someone was quicker at picking them. I hate this about mobas and it's a massive deal breaker here for me. This game seems to work really well when it comes to the range combat. Melee is a problem I feel.

Yeah, I'm trying to max out Marquis and sometimes the selections don't even laid in until two or three people have already picked. He almost always gets chosen because he's a sniper available from the start, and the person usually sucks with him lol

Positive note, Ghalt is fucking AMAZING to use

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Went in playing Splitscreen story at first. The very arcade-y boss battle and the fact there were spawn points actually makes me think of this being like a modern, first person Gauntlet Legends, ha.

Definitely love the fact you can play everything (even online) splitscreen. Can't even do that in Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare. There's not many games I care about on modern consoles that allow such a thing...

The Incursion and Meltdown modes are quite interesting. It kinda makes me feel less like SMITE, and more like the first time my brother and I played Monday Night Combat on XB360. Building in different ways is pretty fun, but you'll feel pretty stomped as you learn how to play, and how to build to your preference.

I love how many characters there are here. Yay for gameplay variety! The hits might feel pretty shallow, but I really appreciate the fact that melee has pushback (acting like a "Get off of me!" on even the shooters), and that there are some good crowd control / AOE damage abilities around. It might be a bit janky, but it's in a way I can still learn and enjoy.

Reminds me more of Borderlands 1, in that it's still a bit more corny and campy in it's writing, rather than the increased vulgarity and mean-hearted idiocy in writing in Borderlands 2. They're beeping harsher swears and still pretty goofy and mean-spirited, but it reminds me of, say, a late 90s MTV animated show in that way. It's limited to where it's still mostly funny, rather than stepping over into overblown annoyance, at least for me.

It feels somewhat similar to what I've played of Gigantic, but not so much so that I don't think I"d give both games some time on occasion. They definitely have varied flavors to their universes.

I didn't expect to want to play it as much as I have. But unlocking different heros has made me stick around, especially the varied unlock methods. Plus the fact that both Splitscreen profiles actually have their own stats and such (you'd be surprised how many games get this wrong... looking at you, RE Revelations 2!).

Top Bottom