• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 - Premium Trials, new map and concept art of upcoming expansions.

Theorry

These are exciting times for Battlefield™ 1 players. As we march towards a Revolution for Battlefield 1, here’s a hint of what we have in store for you.

Read on and be prepared. Revolution is coming.

rendition1.img.jpg

Access New Maps with Premium Trials

Premium Trials is a way for players who don’t own a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass to play on maps they normally wouldn’t have access to. Unlike Premium Friends, Premium Trials doesn’t require you to join a squad with a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass owner – you’ll simply have access to Premium maps by logging into the game*.

rendition1.img.jpg

The first run of Premium Trials will start with this month’s launch of Prise de Tahure, the urban- and trench-based night map for Battlefield 1. If you do not own a Battlefield 1 Premium Pass, you can use Premium Trials during this period to play Prise de Tahure – along with Nivelle Nights and the 4 other maps from Battlefield 1 They Shall Not Pass.

Before Gamescom, there will be another Premium Trials event after this first one. In September, another Premium Trials event will be held, meaning all players will have the opportunity to play on previously released expansion pack maps.

Also note that the current Premium Friends period is still active and will last until Gamescom

rendition1.img.jpg

Battlefield 1 In the Name of the Tsar

Six new maps, the Russian Army, new weapons, vehicles, and more. Ready for the most extensive Battlefield expansion pack so far? Battlefield 1 In the Name of the Tsar arrives in September, but you’ll get an early taste in August with the release of the snow-covered map Lupkow Pass.

rendition1.img.jpg

Battlefield 1 Turning Tides

The third expansion pack for Battlefield 1 is just over the horizon. Releasing in December 2017, Battlefield 1 Turning Tides features the epic clashes of the Zeebrugge Raid, the Gallipoli Offensive, and more.

rendition1.img.jpg

Apart from the frantic naval battles, you’ll also fight on land and in the air on all-new maps with new weapons. There’s much more intel on Battlefield 1 Turning Tides, but we’ll keep it classified for a bit longer. We do however think you’ll appreciate the naval touch on the expansion’s look and feel. Stay tuned.

https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/road-ahead-for-battlefield-1-revolution-coming

Trying to keep this game relevant by drip feeding us concept art of dlc releasing in December?

Fucking hell Dice.

6 months between expansions is a joke.

They should just make the expansions free. Splitting the community was a mistake and clearly they understand this seeing as Battlefront 2 got rid of paid map releases.

Whatever happened to this?
"We don't ever want to charge for our maps and insisted to EA that this attitude was crucial when it came to keeping our community happy and playing together," DICE senior producer Patrick Bach told Xbox World 360 magazine.

He added: "We're owned by EA but we're still very much DICE."

They should just make the expansions free. Splitting the community was a mistake and clearly they understand this seeing as Battlefront 2 got rid of paid map releases.

They're in a tricky spot; they're obviously moving to a 'live game', sold customizables model, but they can't just make premium free without pissing off the players who already bought into it.

EDIT: The same thing that happened to every other independently minded studio EA acquired.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
This sounds nice and all but I do have a serious question though.

Is there actually anyone still playing on PC? I bought the game when it came out and played nonstop until I reached about 100hours on it and then all of the sudden I completely stopped and never touched it again since December. Lack of progression and content killed it for me. I didn't get Premium because I thought it was too expensive.

As someone else said, 6 months between DLC is a joke. I really hope EA get rid of Premium for next battlefield game cause it killed it for me

They just need to stop charging for maps and monetize other DLC. Fractured population sucks and kills the game for a lot of people. Yeah I know it won't happen. But the trial idea is kind of a half measure that basically doesn't work.

Daffy Duck

Having just got back into playing this I cannot wait for the DLC.

Downside to that in Battlefront 2 is that they have gone the pay to win route with changeable gear in loot boxes.

There is a common ground and it works perfectly for overwatch. No idea why other people cannot just copy that model verbatim.

Going forward that will be the plan but bf1 will be similar to bf4 with everything free by the end.

especially since they already sold premium to customers they probably feel it's better to bite the bullet for now and keep it paid. (though they did add the ability to play dlc with one friend who has premium)

Theorry

They just need to stop charging for maps and monetize other DLC. Fractured population sucks and kills the game for a lot of people. Yeah I know it won't happen. But the trial idea is kind of a half measure that basically doesn't work.

Its just a last hoorah of Premium. They just trying to make the best of it. Wich is nice.

Wish they would give us a boat load of battle packs for those of us who bought premium.

Yeah, not really feeling like I've got much value from it. BF3 and 4 had plenty of Premium servers with DLC maps, but Australia on PC I don't think I've played a single DLC map so far at all.

Daffy Duck

Yeah, not really feeling like I've got much value from it. BF3 and 4 had plenty of Premium servers with DLC maps, but Australia on PC I don't think I've played a single DLC map so far at all.

Same here, maybe even a couple of full puzzle pieces so we can at least get them cool melee weapons.

Theorry

Cool stuff but this coupled with Premium friends events must translate as really poor premium sales since its release.

Could be. But they also know they screwed up with Premium and the community split and probably want to make to best of it as much as they can with still having Premium.

I’m so glad they’re starting to feel the pressure of making Maps free to keep the community intact like they’re doing in BF2. I will say BF4’s premium pass was outstanding, and had me playing that game forever.

Yeah, But i am talking about MP Operations.

The release mentions that they will have The Gallipoli Offensive as a map/operation in Turning Tides. Machina is saying you will likely get your beach storming operation from that DLC pack.

Edit: I played a lot of BF1 near launch, racking 140 hours by January, but after that, I've felt little reason to go back to it.

WillyFive

DICE and EA are realizing putting Premium in a 2016 game was a massive mistake, and they are trying to double down while also trying to cope with declining player base due to that decision.

Every other multiplayer title published by EA has migrated to the free content update model supported by microtransactions. I think the bump from four to six maps for each expansion is an attempt to justify the value of Premium for people who already own it while initiatives like "Premium Friends" and "Premium Trials" are meant to rectify the major rift in the playerbase caused by lower Premium sales this time around.

Sooner or later, the last two major holdouts - Battlefield and Call of Duty - are going to have to reevaluate the way they're handling their DLC model. People just aren't as responsive to "Season Passes" anymore.

VariantX

They should have not ignored the writing on the wall for this from the community itself. The community literally told them it was hurting the game. The way the premium model works just kills the value of itself over time because it's inherently lacking the strength of the entire player population being able to access it. People with premium slowly stop playing it over time and head back to vanilla. You discover that in most cases, it's a ghost town by the time new content comes out. That goes double for any new game modes. CoD gets away with this because they are on a yearly cycle when the whole game is dumped un every November.

With Battlefield 1 the series finally has a tolerable progression system with general XP, and loot boxes being just skins and XP boosts. I really hope that's not going to change for the worse with the next Battlefield.

What is the point of dlc on the pc version when you can't find a fucking game on those maps.

I wish they'd stop fucking around, this is ridiculous.

What is the point of dlc on the pc version when you can't find a fucking game on those maps.

I wish they'd stop fucking around, this is ridiculous.

Region? I'm EU and I've been playing nothing but They Shall Not Pass maps for the past two weeks. Only in the mornings can it be hard to find certain game modes on certain maps.

Also make sure to check "Free Slots". I have 1-5, 6-10, 10+ checked. If you search by the standard search preferences you'll usually find less servers. And quick play can put you in empty servers sometimes.

Falchion

I'm excited for when Premium gets added to the Vault in another 6 months. I'm assuming it will happen since BF4 premium was on there.

RulkezX

I must agree. I regret getting Premium. The game is will not be relevant in December.

What's relevant ? It won't be discussed on nerd hubs like GAF ?

You'll still be able to pop a game of this in years to come , never mind just this December

I think selling Premium passes has basically painted them into a corner.

Not just making the maps free seems to be hurting the game. But now they've sold people a pass they can't just make the maps free, even though that's the best move for the population

Turkoop

Banned
First DLC was really cool but the time between the expansions is stupid, IDK if they need more time to develop but in holiday BF2, Destiny 2 and CoD WWII coming out, I doubt people will still play BF1.

Premium Friends sounds cool, they should add xp progression, not the same as premium owners have, like 0,5xp or so.

Theorry

First DLC was really cool but the time between the expansions is stupid, IDK if they need more time to develop but in holiday BF2, Destiny 2 and CoD WWII coming out, I doubt people will still play BF1.

Premium Friends sounds cool, they should add xp progression, not the same as premium owners have, like 0,5xp or so.

Battlefront 1 showed that Battlefront is to "casual" for the most Battlefield players. So alot of them will maybe play it for a little but then move back to Battlefield or wont get it at all. COD is COD. BF players dont care for that most of the times and Destiny can be. But its a different game really.

kiguel182

I would’ve definetly played more of the game if the maps and updates were free. I’ve almost bought Premium but paying for maps just seems like a waste to me. I could use that money on other games instead.

It seems the decision to put new content behind a paywall wasn’t the best one if this is any indication of that. I might play the Trials if I remember but games like Overwatch or Titanfall keep me coming back with their updates even if I stop playing for a while.

Man, I've really enjoyed my time with BF1 but since PUBG came out, I really haven't touched BF1. I know its sort of apples to oranges but PUBG feels more like what I at least imagine BF1942 feeling like when that came out years ago than BF1 (or 3 or 4 for that matter). In the sense that you have so many crazy moments in PUBG whereas those moments in BF seem way more mundane in comparison.

I still really enjoy BF1 and the time period they're portraying. I went out and got Premium for BF1, which I don't think I've really ever done for any of the modern BF games. But the huge gaps between the Premium expansions really sucks the desire out of me wanting to get back into the game. I'll check out the expansions when they come out but I wish they came out a little quicker.

And one of my big issues with BF1 in the last several months playing was how shoddy matchmaking for Operations was. Operations are so much fun in BF1 and the one new thing that I really came to love and kept me playing a ton. But it's just so frustrating trying to get in an Operations game only to have it load you in to an empty server.

I don't really have any issue with them charging for Premium either. I know the trend is to have free maps to keep the user base unified, which is good. But really, the amount of content you get in Premium historically has been worth it. And BF as a series has a history of paid expansions going back to BF1942. I'd personally much rather have the Premium model of paying a flat rate for all the DLC than having everything get all mucked up with copious microtransactions and so on like it looks like Battlefront 2 is headed towards. Granted, I also managed to get BF1 Premium for $30 instead of $50 when Amazon had a pricing screw up months ago, so there's that too.

I own premium and I think the maps should be available to everyone after a month has passed or so. Player base is already dropping so free maps would be a good way to kick start it a bit.

Also have they gotten rid of map voting yet? Because they really need to.

Top Bottom