• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2142 With a Dash of Spyware

Defcon said:
Ahh. It's still hilarious. Having an in-game ad for a razor that says, "the good guy never has a beard" and then claiming that ties into the game because the protagonist is shaven...pure hilarity.

yeah, silly indeed....i think there was a study that most gamers didn't like ads or something.

MegaTen

Banned
davepoobond said:
at least its not on my PC, which has more sensitive info than a game console will
11426104357211gb.jpg

White Man

metdroid said:
did the demo have advertising in it?

The EULA states that if you installed the game, EA has given exclusive permission to let Diebold count all of your future votes as going towards the Republican party.

Opium

Banned
I knew there was going to be ingame ads but I thought they were just generic and server side ads, not data mining from my computer.

EA can go **** itself with a **** and a *******.

No purchase from me. I hope someone manages to hack the spyware out of Need for Speed Carbon when that's released.

Vormund

Opium said:
I knew there was going to be ingame ads but I thought they were just generic and server side ads, not data mining from my computer.

Pretty much what I thought.

Screw the game.

Maridia

White Man said:
The EULA states that if you installed the game, EA has given exclusive permission to let Diebold count all of your future votes as going towards the Republican party.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Starfire

Purchase -1, and my gamer freinds and relatives will hear of this too.

I don't even mind the concept of ingame ads, but dataminers have no place on my hdd.

Guys, read the thread. This is not true. It generates data regarding how long you see ads in the game. It has nothing to do with your browsing habits, etc... Games like Splinter Cell and SWAT 4 (massive ad support) did the same thing.

Oh come on. That's two games this month that dropped off my list for name gaming reasons. I really hope that people think twice before supporting this.

My other responce is snide "I blame the used game stores" remark.

Tellaerin

Uncle Dukey said:
Guys, read the thread. This is not true. It generates data regarding how long you see ads in the game. It has nothing to do with your browsing habits, etc... Games like Splinter Cell and SWAT 4 (massive ad support) did the same thing.

Perhaps if they were more explicit about what the 'other anonymous data' they want you to consent to them collecting actually is, people wouldn't feel so threatened by this. As it is, the wording is disturbingly vague. Reassurances on a messageboard or something don't cut it either. Exactly what data is being collected needs to be spelled out in the EULA and any accompanying hardcopy in the game. (Ideally, it should also be accompanied by an 'opt-out' checkbox - no one should be forced to be an unpaid participant in somebody's market research scheme as a prerequisite for playing a goddamn game, no matter how benign that data collecting supposedly is. :p )

shuri

Banned
I own every Battlefield game, got them all at launch, and even got all the expension packs, and I won't be buying this one. And then companies wonder why piracy is destroying the pc market.

Whats hilarious is that the pirate version will probably have this ripped out of the game :lol

Thanks for the info. I had this game preordered and paid for from EA. I just emailed them telling them I gave them no permission to track my internet habits and use it to deliver ads and that I find that unacceptable. I asked them to refund my credit card. Hopefully since I can't play the full game yet they will do so. We'll see what happens.

Beergut

This just went from a definite buy to a no-way-in-****ing-hell NO BUY!!

Please spread the word of this to all your friends and other gaming boards.

D3VI0US

I wouldn't mind spyware type shit if it was system scans to stop cheaters, but any other reason isn't a good one, especially so they can make even more money of targeted advertising by invading my privacy. I was really diggin BF2142 too, I love storming the Titan, so fun.

Tellaerin said:
Perhaps if they were more explicit about what the 'other anonymous data' they want you to consent to them collecting actually is, people wouldn't feel so threatened by this. As it is, the wording is disturbingly vague. Reassurances on a messageboard or something don't cut it either. Exactly what data is being collected needs to be spelled out in the EULA and any accompanying hardcopy in the game.

Damn right. If this program does nothing but monitor your viewing of in-game ads, there needs to be a document explicitly stating that, both so that the customer is informed and so they can be more easily held liable in court if they're lying. If it gathers out of game browsing info, it also needs to be explicitly stated so you can tell EA to cram it sideways.

Wow!

I don't even know what to say.

Anyone have a link to that Burnout fiasco, where the game would ask you to sign up for EA's mailing list, but switched "accept" buttons on you? LOL!

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Wow!

I don't even know what to say.

Anyone have a link to that Burnout fiasco, where the game would ask you to sign up for EA's mailing list, but switched "accept" buttons on you? LOL!

I remember signing up for that... Tricky little bastards =\

impirius

Need more information... the "anonymous data" could just be a GUID, and this whole thing could be overblown. EA needs to let people know what's going on; are they surprised that people assume the worst when they're intentionally vague?

Tain

Reassurances on a messageboard or something don't cut it either.

But someone throwing out an absurd speculation about cookies seems to be perfectly fine for plenty of people in this thread.

KINGMOKU

This is unacceptable. I play Battlefield2 all the time. I was going to purchase...Not any more.

I have to start bieng more carefull I guess.

I have a question for the techies out there;

If I have a ton of money wrapped up in expensive programs on my computer, or raw film footage, programs that have to connect to the internet to authorize use, is there any way this type of game could harm/steal any of my work/programs/keys e.t.c.? I know EA wouldnt do it(Probably) but could someone at EA, or another gamer use this as a backdoor to steal sensative information?

I have been thinking about building another computer dedicated to my work, but havnt gotten off my ass to do so. Would that be prudent with these types of games starting to do shit like this?

Tain

If I have a ton of money wrapped up in expensive programs on my computer, or raw film footage, programs that have to connect to the internet to authorize use, is there any way this type of game could harm/steal any of my work/programs/keys e.t.c.? I know EA wouldnt do it(Probably) but could someone at EA, or another gamer use this as a backdoor to steal sensative information?

no.

KINGMOKU

Tain said:
I have protected myself with online use, but this is a program that you install, and authorize to basically poke around in your computer. I would have massive problems with that.

Are you sure? I'm going to talk to my brother(Computer wiz.) later about this, but while i'm here...

I am going to get another computer dedicted for certain things now anyway, butthis would always be a good thing to know for future reference.

Chichikov

moku said:
This is unacceptable. I play Battlefield2 all the time. I was going to purchase...Not any more.

I have to start bieng more carefull I guess.

I have a question for the techies out there;

I have been thinking about building another computer dedicated to my work, but havnt gotten off my ass to do so. Would that be prudent with these types of games starting to do shit like this?
It’s too broad of question to answer.
Is EA going to steal your business sensitive data?
Probably not.
Is a program snooping around your computer can comprise your security (internationally or by bad design)?
You bet.
Is it a good idea to have a your work stuff on a separate machine from your gaming / internet surfing box?
**** yeah it is.

Top Bottom