• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Menelaus

Banned
bg-update.jpg

Update 4:

EA via mr_nothin said:
After analyzing the data from our first round of closed Caspian Border tests, we have great news for participants in the Battlefield 3 PC Open Beta: the DICE team has decided to bring back Caspian Border for the beta’s final weekend and conduct an open large scale test of the 64 player Caspian Border map.

*****Please keep in mind that as this is beta we will be stress testing our servers***** As such, users may experience crashes, network instability and outages as we roll out and configure servers and network utilities. Understand that such potential issues and the testing environment are not reflective or indicative of the final product and that, through your participation, you will be helping to ensure future stability and functionality.

As we are again specifically testing 64-player server configurations, this test will be for PC only. The Caspian Border servers will be available for all PC players to join. Caspian Border will be available starting Friday, October 7th, in the afternoon (CET).
Source: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826564925967583255/

Update 3:

Squad Updates on consoles said:
HOW WILL SQUADS WORK IN THE RETAIL VERSION OF BATTLEFIELD 3 ON PC/XBOX 360/PLAYSTATION 3?

Since the Open BETA we’ve added more advanced functionality to manage your squad. You will be able to browse and join specific squads through the squad screen. You can see all players that are in a specific squad as well as who’s playing as lone wolf. As a squad leader you can set your squad to private as well as kick players from the squad.

On console you will also be able to choose if you want the active VoIP channel to be team or squad and invite friends to your squad. You will also be able to mute any player on your team through the scoreboard.

Update 2:

Patch said:
The amounts of people flocking to our Open Beta is fantastic! We are happy to see so many players enjoy this Open Beta, and giving us their valuable feedback on the experience on the Battlelog forums.

This blog post is the first in a series of posts that will outline some of the changes we are making in the final game thanks to your feedback and participation in the Open Beta.

A SELECTION OF CHANGES FROM OPEN BETA TO FINAL, PART 1

(Not a complete list – for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".
Patch said:
Today's first Battlelog update will go live at 09.00 CEST, that's in about 50 minutes. Downtime is expected to be up to 30 minutes. This affects Battlefield 3 PC Open Beta Online play.

Fixes include:

• Moderator icon has been added on the forums for moderators.
• Players with rank 45 will now recieve the correct icon on their stats page
• Improved the scroll handling in the Server Browser
• Added more patches for Leaderboards for Xbox 360 and PS3
• More accurate ping now shows up in the server browser
• More accurate number of players now show up in the server browser

Update:

Patch Notes:

This patch seems to be server side, so is likely for all platforms, but we don't have confirmation.

Patch said:
A SELECTION OF CHANGES FROM OPEN BETA TO FINAL, PART 1
(Not a complete list – for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".
Patch said:
We have distributed a server side update with the following changes:

- Terrain destruction disabled, because it causes problems with people crawling around under the map. We have a proper fix for this in the retail game, but chose to simply disable it for the OB

- Preround is fully activated: 8 players required to transition from preround to in-game; when 8 players are reached, the start-timer is set to 10 seconds

- Fixes for the most common game server crashes reported over the past 48 hours

- Fixes for end-of-round progress reporting to Battlelog (so players will see their progress more detailed on Battlelog)

The Server Providers have been instructed to deploy before Fri Sep 30th, 0800 UTC (when it impacts players the least).
Patch said:
Time for today's first Battlelog update starting in around 30 minutes. Downtime is expected to be up to 30 minutes.

Fixes include:

• Improved cancel state in Game Manager when joining servers with Quick Match

• Server Browser filter is now open by default, and Battlelog saves the state of the filter for the user

• Made sure we don't send -1 ping sites to Blaze, this to ensure that people don't get ping errors when trying to matchmake

• Added an error message for users with passwords containing non-alphanumeric characters to the Gate page - these users can't play due to a URL bug that's being fixed in our systems. We will ask you to change password before logging in.

• Improved default listing of servers in Server Browser to render servers with even more slots available
Server Restart said:
So Ladies and Gentlemen!

For your playing experience we are going to restart the servers to improve stability and connectivity to the game servers.
Downtime for each platform will be 5 minutes but may take slightly longer.

We are restarting the Xbox 360 Servers first, following PlayStation 3 and also PC to follow.
We´re terribly sorry for the inconvenience :)

Original:

PC-GAF, use this platoon!

PS3-GAF, use this platoon!

If you need a key, use the begging thread, not this one.

If you want to discuss PC performance, use the performance thread, not this one.

Important Dates

September 27 - Early access for Origin preorders and MoH:LE players

September 29 - Open access across all platforms. Console players will be able to find the beta client in their console's store.

Beta will be ending October 10th. Retail is out 10.25.11 for US, 10.28.11 for UK.

Map: Rush mode on Operation Metro
  • 32 players on PC
  • 24 players on consoles

DICE explains why we're playing Op. Metro again

Videos of Op. Metro

pQ0vW.jpg

9Dd5H.jpg

New M-COM placement
EgBuGh.jpg

New Killscreen
CWcff.jpg

Deployment screen
Dxrav.png

Misc. Info
  • You will be able to use your beta solider in retail, but the stats will reset
  • There are no leveling caps in the beta, and most items should be unlockable. At around 100 hours per kit for full unlocks, good luck!
  • PC graphics have been improved since alpha, but not all processing effects will be available for Beta.
  • 2-3GB required for console install

Bought MoH:LE on Steam and want in on the 27th?

DICE said:
IF YOU PURCHASED MEDAL OF HONOR THROUGH STEAM PRIOR TO JULY 26TH, 2011 CUT-OFF, YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR EARLY ACCESS TO THE BATTLEFIELD 3 OPEN BETA.

TO VIEW YOUR KEY, GO TO MEDAL OF HONOR IN YOUR STEAM LIBRARY, AND CLICK THE "CD KEY" LINK. FIND THE "BATTLEFIELD 3 OPEN BETA EARLY ACCESS" KEY.

BATTLEFIELD 3 IS DELIVERED THROUGH ELECTRONIC ARTS' ORIGIN CLIENT. (DIRECT DOWNLOAD, 47MB: WWW.ORIGIN.COM/DOWNLOAD )

ONCE YOU HAVE ORIGIN INSTALLED, RUN IT AND LOG IN WITH YOUR ORIGIN ID. (THIS WILL BE THE SAME AS YOUR EA ACCOUNT ID USED IN METAL OF HONOR.). IN THE ORIGIN CLIENT, CLICK THE GEAR ICON IN THE TOP MENU BAR, AND THEN SELECT "REDEEM PRODUCT CODE".

PC requirements for Beta

PC version takes 3.9GB hard drive space
Xbox version takes 1.9GB hard drive space

Update: Nvidia 285 Beta drivers
Update: ATI 11.10 Beta drivers

Update: FOV adjustment on PC

DICE said:
Minimum System Requirements
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ATHLON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Recommended System Requirements
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Example of available settings

kxmDK.png

Links

All Battlefield vs Call of Duty discussion belongs here: Modern Warfare 3 Versus Battlefield 3 Garbage Thread

Official DICE page for Beta info
Battlelog - Available on the 27th for eligible accounts
PC community meetup thread
Multiplayer weapons and unlocks list
Lots of screens featuring the UI elements

I'm not getting in early, but I look forward to seeing how it runs on my rig and seeing how different the shooting feels to BC2.

I also really want to see how the servers are for our GAF server :)

spicy cho

Still can't believe it's not conquest, but having played the alpha I'm excited to see the progress that's been made.

zsswimmer

Im excited, never got to play the alpha so I'm looking forward to this. Will be getting in early \o/

Can't wait for this game to kill my laptop :]

belvedere

Junior Butler
PC ready to VNC into from work, ready to download the Beta as soon as it hits.
Off on Friday.

Let's roll son.

I appreciate them launching early, but man with 8AM I just barely miss out on a chance to play more than say 15 minutes. Oh well some is better than none.

Time to see what I can get out of the GTX460.

Kyaw

So 1PM BST then.

I get home at like 4:30PM tomorrow...
At least that's a lot earlier than *normal* people. :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Has anyone gotten their early MoH emails? Or will this be done tomorrow morning? I played before the cut-off but have had no communication from DICE about it.

n0n44m

belvedere said:
PC ready to VNC into from work, ready to download the Beta as soon as it hits.
Off on Friday.

Let's roll son.

same here except I'm in class ... not going to pay much attention I suppose :p

Wthermans

Banned
I pre-ordered on the Origin website (not the program, the website) yesterday (the 25th). When I ordered, the "pre-order now and get into Beta" offer was still displayed on the Origin Start page. Order confirmation from EA is showing as the 25th as well. However, when I view the BF3 LE game in the Origin client, it says the date of purchase is the 26th.

I'm wondering if I'll get access to the beta or if I'm going to have to bug EA Live Chat for help.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So hyped for this beta. I hope they improved the graphical options from the alpha.

woober

I have screenshots from the Alpha that I will use to see how much better the graphics are in Beta. Bring it!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
woober said:
I have screenshots from the Alpha that I will use to see how much better the graphics are in Beta. Bring it!

good thinking, make sure to share that with us. Would love to see the difference since the beta is supposedly "close to retail" in terms of visuals.

CyReN

I got Medal of Honor LE and used the code but sold the game, will they email me the code to download or will I have to use my disk? If so when are they mailing them out?

On 360 btw.

woober

Corky said:
good thinking, make sure to share that with us. Would love to see the difference since the beta is supposedly "close to retail" in terms of visuals.

Will do. I'll try to replicate the shots at the same location as close as possible.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
No excuses, the master race demands perfection.

Menelaus said:
I know that feel, bro.
I'm just hoping since the processor exceeds the rec and mem meets it that I can get 30fps at 1080p on dare I say high. It doesn't even have to be a consistent 30. Then again I wonder if just doing it at 720p will allow me to get 60 on High and 30 on Ultra.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pre-ordered on Origin because I'm a consumer whore.

Will post screenshots tomorrow, and general performance analysis/results.

Spl1nter

Change the thread title to say it is an open beta. Create a seperate thread for console player meet up in the community forum and use the current bf3 pc meet up thread.

SHarris78

I pre-ordered on Origin a while back, will they be sending out emails today / tomorrow with info on how to access the beta?? If not, how will it work exactly.

Menelaus

Banned
SHarris78 said:
I pre-ordered on Origin a while back, will they be sending out emails today / tomorrow with info on how to access the beta?? If not, how will it work exactly.
Yep, emails will be going out. When? No one knows.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Yep, emails will be going out. When? No one knows.

The sooner the better. More time to bring the wrath of God onto EA support if a key doesn't show up.

I didn't get a key for the alpha until days after I was able to log into the alpha site and get a key that way.

Top Bottom