• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Violater said:
2-3 pages???

It seems every frigging BF thread devolves into a spec war, which is why I was asking for a console only thread in the community section when the game is launched.

I don't think it'll be that big of an issue.. proof? ..Look at the BC2 thread. PC/360/PS3 owners all converge here. And it's all good in the hood. No need to segregate. Participate!

Kyaw

Stallion Free said:
Uh, I've actually played the game, not just watched a Quicklook style piece and it's actually a pretty decent and fun game.

Hmm fair enough, from what i've seen and heard, it is apparently very unpolished and ridiculous.

Does the game have survival modes and stuff like that with unarmed dinos?

Violater

Manager said:
We'll probably have a performance thread like Witcher 2.

Which I will probably participate in at the right time, but sometimes I just want info about the game. I can understand this is a PC first centric game and I am all for that, maybe the thread is the way it is bc of the lack of console news.
Who knows, thank you all for allowing me to vent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kyaw said:
Hmm fair enough, from what i've seen and heard, it is apparently very unpolished and ridiculous.

Does the game have survival modes and stuff like that with unarmed dinos?
It lacks polish, being made by a small dev team with limited resources, but every dino game is gonna be ridiculous and that's where half the fun comes from.

It is competitive multiplayer, not co-op horde mode.

Miggytronz

Are we gonna get a |OT| for the BETA or something close. I hope so. Console/PC individual community threads would be great.

Kyaw

I was thinking more in lines of Jurassic park outbreak and soldiers sent in to capture/neutralise the dinosaurs, in Frostbite engine with jets, tanks, helicopters, harsh weather conditions etc.

Of course it won't happen...

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
I don't think it'll be that big of an issue.. proof? ..Look at the BC2 thread. PC/360/PS3 owners all converge here. And it's all good in the hood. No need to segregate. Participate!

True, but I think BF3 will generate a LOT more involvement from the PC community.

Mikasangelos said:
Are we gonna get a |OT| for the BETA or something close. I hope so.

Yeah, someone'll make one.

Kyaw said:
I was thinking more in lines of Jurassic park outbreak and soldiers sent in to capture/neutralise the dinosaurs, in Frostbite engine with jets, tanks, helicopters, harsh weather conditions etc.

Of course it won't happen...

Would be glorious. Triceratops bashing through the walls of a building/compound=godly.

Menelaus

Banned
I personally think it's worth keeping the dirty peasants in a separate thread for this game.

PC is gonna have a lot more chatter going on, especially since we'll be hosting our own server, and all the console talk will get drowned out. It would be annoying for both sides.

I'll be more than happy to make a console thread since I'm double dipping anyways.

This thread is all over the place due to lack of any type of news concerning the beta or otherwise. I really don't see the point of getting upset over... pretty much nothing. When news is released, it'll be at the top of discussion. What's the problem? I find talking about weapon authenticity just as boring but I don't complain about it.

Miggytronz

Menelaus said:
I personally think it's worth keeping the dirty peasants in a separate thread for this game.

PC is gonna have a lot more chatter going on, especially since we'll be hosting our own server, and all the console talk will get drowned out. It would be annoying for both sides.

I'll be more than happy to make a console thread since I'm double dipping anyways.

:thumbsup:

I so want to get a rig just for BF3 but funds in my life currently are at a all time low budget (cant even keep my cars fixed). uhg.

X-Frame

Menelaus said:

Won't the PC talk with regards to the server be in that other Community thread though?

Menelaus

Banned
X-Frame said:
Won't the PC talk with regards to the server be in that other Community thread though?
Yes. The discussion is whether or not to merge console players into the BF3 community thread that you speak of.

Nah, merging the PC community thread with console would be a... bad idea. BF3 being more PC-centric (entailing more/different discussion) is a great point. Separate threads are needed I guess.

X-Frame

Menelaus said:
Yes. The discussion is whether or not to merge console players into the BF3 community thread that you speak of.

My bad. I thought for the Gaming OT.

In any case, I vote for separate threads as well. Has that been done before with any other game?

mr_nothin

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Nah, merging the PC community thread with console would be a... bad idea. BF3 being more PC-centric (entailing more/different discussion) is a great point. Separate threads are needed I guess.
Yep. Grouping PC BF2 nuttheads with Console BC2 fans isnt the greatest idea. It might have been ok when it was PC/Console BC2 fans in 1 thread but it'll get ugly with BF3.

gl0w

I keep seeing tweets from DICE devs talking about playtest..playtest..

It just makes the wait more painfull. :(

Maybe they are on the final playtest stage before releasing the beta.? I hope

J-Rock

Banned
Well at least comics are exploring the concept. Come on game industry!

guns-and-dinos-color.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Menelaus said:

Separate but equal, huh?

Noticed that MS is doing a BF week for some reason. Hmm...

SapientWolf said:
Separate but equal, huh?

Noticed that MS is doing a BF week for some reason. Hmm...

What? Where?

I wonder if there was some weird agreement that had them market the PS3 version first, then the 360 version??? Coincides with OXM doing a spread on BF3.

Please god be related to impending beta info

Sethos

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
what does he mean with "change" have they been in trouble or something?

They are under pressure, they are working 7 day weeks, they got a ton of work ... I very much doubt everything is smooth sailing -- Game development rarely is.

Manager

Sethos said:
They are under pressure, they are working 7 day weeks, they got a ton of work ... I very much doubt everything is smooth sailing -- Game development rarely is.

Specially this late in the development cycle. You fix one bug and create five new ones.

Nizz

Sethos said:
I'm honestly a little worried how down to the wire the development seems to be going on this. It's more the console versions I'm thinking of. The PC version seems to be going well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Menelaus said:
MY BODY IS READY...Cmon, Roland, give it to us NOW!!!

http://i.imgur.com/JEJre.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
At least it seems like they're in good spirits despite working to the bone. I'm sure they're going to be working like this right up until the release date to get a day 1 patch out there. I bet they're both looking forward to and completely dreading what the beta will bring.

DTKT

purple cobra said:
I'm honestly a little worried how down to the wire the development seems to be going on this. It's more the console versions I'm thinking of. The PC version seems to be going well.

Crunch time, while a terrible thing, is part of the game. They have been probably working 12 hours+ day/7 days a week for the past 2-3 months.

th3dude

Just preordered on Origin. Check out my receipt, lol.

Product Name: Battlefield 3™ Limited Edition (Pre-Ordered)
Anticipated Released Date: null

Violater said:
2-3 pages???

It seems every frigging BF thread devolves into a spec war, which is why I was asking for a console only thread in the community section when the game is launched.
nah fuck a console only thread, we Xboxers don't want all those PS3 lamers using the thread as a chatroom cluttering up our thread with bitching because the triple doesn't have party (voice) chat!!!

Irish

The Faceless Master said:
nah fuck a console only thread, we Xboxers don't want all those PS3 lamers using the thread as a chatroom cluttering up our thread with bitching because the triple doesn't have party (voice) chat!!!

Ah, I remember the good 'ole days when our little squad of four would go through an completely dominate maps in BC2 on PS3 before you went crazy and disappeared for a long time. :D

This is going to be the first PC game I ever play at launch on a decent computer. Starcraft II was probably the first PC game I got at launch, but I could only run that at 5-10 FPS on a shitty eMachines. Probably going to pick up the PS3 version too just to play with all my GAF buds who didn't get around to building a new PC yet.

Menelaus said:

*stare at the history of the BC2 thread*
People said the same thing when BC2 first came out.

While it's true that BF3 is definitely going to have alot more PC participation, I'm pretty sure things are things are just going to repeat itself:

-1/2 of the PC crowd are going to be gone due to some other big PC release (ex: diablo 3)
-3/4 of the PC crowd hyping the game now will be gone after 7-9 month of the game's release.
-Dontions for PC servers will run dry as the crowd drop down to <60.
-Console Peasants dominate the thread (AGAIN) cause PS3/360 "has no games" to lure them away (GT5 was the only thing that slightly put a dent to the PS3 crowd.)

Then everyone lives happily together in double dipping heaven.

^Pure speculation.

I just honestly don't believe half of you will even be around the bf threads in a year. *bets $50 on that*

mr_nothin

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
*stare at the history of the BC2 thread*
People said the same thing when BC2 first came out.

While it's true that BF3 is definitely going to have alot more PC participation, I'm pretty sure things are things are just going to repeat itself:

-1/2 of the PC crowd are going to be gone due to some other big PC release (ex: diablo 3)
-3/4 of the PC crowd hyping the game now will be gone after 7-9 month of the game's release.
-Console Peasants dominate the thread (AGAIN) cause PS3/360 "has no games" to lure them away (GT5 was the only thing that slightly put a dent to the PS3 crowd.)

Then everyone lives happily together in double dipping heaven.

^Pure speculation.

I just honestly don't believe half of you will even be around the bf threads in a year. *bets $50 on that*
This is BF, not BC
If anything, it might be the reverse with the pc crowd sticking around and the console crowd dying down.

JackEtc said:
Title should be changed to "Battlefield 3 News Thread of Every Time I See a New Post I Think it's the Beta"

-_-

I'm sure a new thread will go up before that news appears in here, or simultaneously. So yeah... how about that Metro footage?

mr_nothin said:
This is BF, not BC
If anything, it might be the reverse with the pc crowd sticking around and the console crowd dying down.

We'll see.

Until then, there's really no point to splitting the thread.
Not to mention, it's doing everyone a disfavor by isolating out ingenious players (ex:faceless)'s tactics/strategy/views simply because they play on consoles.

Menelaus

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
We had 2 months paid for in 48 hours. I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

But again, a PC thread already exists. Just go make a console thread and be done with it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
We'll see.

Until then, there's really no point to splitting the thread.
Not to mention, it's doing everyone a disfavor by isolating out ingenious players (ex:faceless)'s tactics/strategy/views simply because they play on consoles.
But his tactics wouldnt work on PC...
We have commorose!

Menelaus said:
We had 2 months paid for in 48 hours. I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

But again, a PC thread already exists. Just go make a console thread and be done with it.

Well I'll speak from experience and say, most GAF oriented communities peak at the very early stages and slowly but surely dwindle in numbers over a short period of time. Not saying this is going to be the case with BF3 but it is a possibility. But eh, Whatever I do endorse the idea of there being separate threads.

Also, you're an asshat. Your tone in your post are very condescending in nature (or imply that you are). Chill out.

mr_nothin said:
But his tactics wouldnt work on PC...
We have commorose!

Aye, you. Shaddup.

Menelaus said:

I know you guys have 2 months paid for in the PC meet up thread.

However, this isn't the first time GAF tried to amass funds for servers. It's just a matter of fact that eventually any crowd will dwindle down. Notice I didn't exactly say when.

As for the the thread in community right now, it is just a meet up thread instead of any official thread. In case you aren't aware, they tried to do the same thing with BC2. Eventually both the PC/console meetup thread died and EVERYONE just sticked to one thread with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom