• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaner

I've got an X52 Pro with the throttle thing, but I've always (1942 and beyond) used W and S for the throttle and then the joystick for everything else. Was never a problem in BF2 since the helicopters auto-hovered and you don't really need precise throttle control in the jets.

Kyaw

What flight games are good to practice for air combat?

I've only been playing some Wings of Prey with the ps3 controller.

Arucardo

Beaner said:
I've got an X52 Pro with the throttle thing, but I've always (1942 and beyond) used W and S for the throttle and then the joystick for everything else. Was never a problem in BF2 since the helicopters auto-hovered and you don't really need precise throttle control in the jets.
Yeah, you can also use the small slider on the throttle.

Beaner

Kyaw said:

Probably just BF2. Battlefield flying doesn't really compare with other games, especially ones dedicated to just flying

Sethos

Banned
Kyaw said:

For a game like BF3, you probably need some simplified flight titles.

Flying in ArmA 2 is great practice, I'm thinking that's the best practice. Then you could try some IL-2 / Wings of Prey just to get the feel for it. If you want challenge and lots of reading, DCS games ( A-10 / Black Shark ).

Afrikan

Kyaw said:

Top Gun on the PSN is pretty good...and cheap. check out some clips of it on youtube.

LordCanti

I'm talking about $30 flight sticks (that I can get for $15 with a coupon) and you guys are talking about $80 flight sticks :p

I can't put that kind of money into something that I'd only use for portions of the game where I was in a chopper/jet.

It's nice to hear that fine throttle control wasn't that important in BF2. Trying to two hand a joystick would have been a pain.

Manager

People saying you don't need keyboard for joystick... How did you strafe with the helis in BF2? throttle is one thing, but strafing?

Sethos

Banned
Manager said:
People saying you don't need keyboard for joystick... How did you strafe with the helis in BF2? throttle is one thing, but strafing?

... You push your joystick to the side o_O ? Turning is done with the rudder twist.

Beaner

Sethos said:
... You push your joystick to the side o_O ? Turning is done with the rudder twist.

For 1942 and BFV I had a stick with no twist, I just assigned the rudder to two side by side buttons on the top of the joystick which worked fine. As soon as I got the twist though, after getting used to it it worked quite well for strafing. Especially in FH2

Nizz

Not really sure if this can relate to people on the PC, but for those who tried the alpha, was there a difference in the feel of the controls to say, Bad Company 2?

On consoles, there is a slight weighty feel to the controls. In a way I'm hoping BF3 on consoles feels closer to Medal of Honor's MP. It still felt like Bad Company, but sped up. A little lighter in feel.

YoungFa

purple cobra said:
Not really sure if this can relate to people on the PC, but for those who tried the alpha, was there a difference in the feel of the controls to say, Bad Company 2?

On consoles, there is a slight weighty feel to the controls. In a way I'm hoping BF3 on consoles feels closer to Medal of Honor's MP. It still felt like Bad Company, but sped up. A little lighter in feel.
It felt lighter than BC2.

1-D_FTW

LordCanti said:
I've got a 50% coupon for Logitech's store, so I'll probably just grab the 3D pro for $15 and see if it isn't complete garbage. I wanted the Thrustmaster Hotas, but it went from $30 to $50 on Amazon and....well, screw that :P

Suddenly feels vindicated after purchasing it during Steam's 2010 Holiday sale and never getting around to any games that actually used it. Score! Not looking like such a wasteful purchase anymore:)

scogoth

purple cobra said:

The flying physics will be the same on consoles and PCs. This was not the case with BC2 which is why it feels different. BC2s flying physics on consoles was a joke which is why it was so easy to strafe.

Nizz

YoungFa said:
It felt lighter than BC2.

Mr Sandman said:
It felt more grounded, but felt less sluggish than BC2.

Thanks for the answers. I was hoping for this. Hope it's the same case on console, right now in Bad Company 2 I have the sensitivity maxed for it to feel right to me. BF3 feeling less sluggish sounds great.

scogoth said:
The flying physics will be the same on consoles and PCs. This was not the case with BC2 which is why it feels different. BC2s flying physics on consoles was a joke which is why it was so easy to strafe.
I don't really touch air vehicles in Bad Company, just hop into tanks occasionally. But having flying physics be the same on all platforms sounds good to me. It's sucks when a level 50 is doing circles destroying the team you're on.

I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X and in BC2 I found it difficult to control choppers precisely with the throttle because it takes a lot longer to move the throttle from all the way forward to all the way backward than it does to just change your finger from the 'W' key to the 'S' key.

Therefore, while I could control things far more accurately and it feels way more real, and I was flying the chopper in a far more legitimate and realistic way, I couldn't pull off some of the moves that some of the other players were able to do like some of those quick duck and slide moves that pro mouse and keyboard pilots are able to pull off.

So... because there isn't a lot of use for all of those extra buttons that you have (it's a bit disappointing that the alternate analogue wobble throttle on the front of the throttle isn't picked up by BC2 because I would have used that, but oh well. But instead I mapped an alternate accelerate and decelerate to two of the digital buttons on the throttle.

So, for fine tuning I have the huge analogue spread of the entire throttle throw, but for situation when I'm in a rush or need to react very quick and get out of the way in a REAL hurry and be at full throttle up or down instantly, I hit accelerate or decelerate digitally on the throttle while also jamming the throttle back or forward whichever way I want to go and it works wonders. It's a good technique to use for Joystick users :)

Now... considering I have a G13, Joystick and Mouse... it's quite funny, but I used to love using my G19 keyboard, but during gaming sessions I don't even touch the keyboard anymore... Lol, it's that funny.

One question - I was playing a map the other day and the other team was flying circles around the base that I was defending on a Rush map in BC2, they were going rather slow but when a rocket came they just dipped under it... anyway they were moving slow enough for me to hit them with the IR tracker for guiding rockets, but as soon as it hit the chopper it just disappeared... what the heck where they doing to remove it? Is this one of the vehicles upgrades that I've never been aware of? God damn they just kicked our arses! Couldn't be shot down, and he just flew at the side of the map strafing left and right at the edge of the artillery zone letting the gunner just mow everyone down and there wasn't shit anyone could do about it and the other team just burned through us.

Wthermans

Banned
WSAD + Arrow keys is all you need for BF. Never had a problem with that setup since BF1942. Only downside is that you reach a maximum yaw/pitch velocity that can't be replicated unless you're using a mouse (not even joysticks provide the same velocity).

abuC

ColonialRaptor said:
Now... considering I have a G13, Joystick and Mouse... it's quite funny, but I used to love using my G19 keyboard, but during gaming sessions I don't even touch the keyboard anymore... Lol, it's that funny.
You have a logitech g13? I just ordered one, how do you like it?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I caved in bought the Turtle Beach DPX21 headset (PS3 7.1 SS), MSRP $149.99, got them for $129.99 from amazon =]

7.1 Surround Sound for the Beta is going to glorious!

Izayoi

Banned
nitric0 said:
lol "7.1" headsets
Yeah... You're better off with a quality pair of stereo headphones with Dolby Headphones. It will recreate a far more accurate surround soundstange than a "7.1" headset could ever hope to accomplish.

If you haven't opened them yet, I would return them for a refund and head over the headphone thread and ask for some suggestions.

DTKT

ColonialRaptor said:
I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X and in BC2 I found it difficult to control choppers precisely with the throttle because it takes a lot longer to move the throttle from all the way forward to all the way backward than it does to just change your finger from the 'W' key to the 'S' key.

Therefore, while I could control things far more accurately and it feels way more real, and I was flying the chopper in a far more legitimate and realistic way, I couldn't pull off some of the moves that some of the other players were able to do like some of those quick duck and slide moves that pro mouse and keyboard pilots are able to pull off.

So... because there isn't a lot of use for all of those extra buttons that you have (it's a bit disappointing that the alternate analogue wobble throttle on the front of the throttle isn't picked up by BC2 because I would have used that, but oh well. But instead I mapped an alternate accelerate and decelerate to two of the digital buttons on the throttle.

So, for fine tuning I have the huge analogue spread of the entire throttle throw, but for situation when I'm in a rush or need to react very quick and get out of the way in a REAL hurry and be at full throttle up or down instantly, I hit accelerate or decelerate digitally on the throttle while also jamming the throttle back or forward whichever way I want to go and it works wonders. It's a good technique to use for Joystick users :)

One question - I was playing a map the other day and the other team was flying circles around the base that I was defending on a Rush map in BC2, they were going rather slow but when a rocket came they just dipped under it... anyway they were moving slow enough for me to hit them with the IR tracker for guiding rockets, but as soon as it hit the chopper it just disappeared... what the heck where they doing to remove it? Is this one of the vehicles upgrades that I've never been aware of? God damn they just kicked our arses! Couldn't be shot down, and he just flew at the side of the map strafing left and right at the edge of the artillery zone letting the gunner just mow everyone down and there wasn't shit anyone could do about it and the other team just burned through us.

Smoke perk for vehicle removes the tracer when it's used.

JWong

Banned
Izayoi said:
Yeah... You're better off with a quality pair of stereo headphones with Dolby Headphones. It will recreate a far more accurate surround soundstange than a "7.1" headset could ever hope to accomplish.

If you haven't opened them yet, I would return them for a refund and head over the headphone thread and ask for some suggestions.
Not sure about those Turtlebeach ones, but the PS3 headset sounded great when it's set for PS3.

Izayoi

Banned
JWong said:
Not sure about those Turtlebeach ones, but the PS3 headset sounded great when it's set for PS3.
"Surround sound" headsets are, generally speaking, a scam. They cram a bunch of weak, small drivers millimeters apart from one another, and call it "surround" sound. You would be much better off with a pair of headphones that has good soundstaging and going with an emulated surround sound option.

DTKT said:
Smoke perk for vehicle removes the tracer when it's used.

Ooer... I didn't know that, never used it.

That's almost an unfair advantage!

Do perks stack, say if driver and gunner have different perks do they both get something?

Such as, if driver has armour and gunner has smoke?

JWong

Banned
Izayoi said:
"Surround sound" headsets are, generally speaking, a scam. They cram a bunch of weak, small drivers millimeters apart from one another, and call it "surround" sound. You would be much better off with a pair of headphones that has good soundstaging and going with an emulated surround sound option.
Not sure how you can say to me that it's a scam when it's already been worked well for me.

Izayoi

Banned
JWong said:
Not sure how you can say to me that it's a scam when it's already been worked well for me.
Because the money that you spent on them could've been spent on a good pair of stereo headphones that would've produced much better results.

JWong

Banned
Izayoi said:
Because the money that you spent on them could've been spent on a good pair of stereo headphones that would've produced much better results.
And? These sound great, is wireless, is a headset, has special PS3 UI features, catered for gaming audio, and the Virtual Surround work.

Need I go on?

Sethos

Banned
JWong said:
And? These sound great, is wireless, is a headset, has special PS3 UI features, catered for gaming audio, and the Virtual Surround work.

Need I go on?

I got some snake oil here, special price :)

Oh boy the 7.1 headphone argument haha...

It's alll about the timing of the sound to your ear, that's how 7.1 sound systems work, 7.1 headphones are a folly, but wireless is another story and you can't usually find good wireless headsets (please see that i said headSET) that aren't 7.1... The good audiophile wireless headphones are more expensive and the 7.1 speaker headsets do still give a good audio quality it just doesn't make a difference if they have 2 speakers or 7.

I have a logitech g930 setup and it's fantastic, just make sure your ingame sound settings are set to headphones.

Jtrizzy

I'm trying to figure out my sound situation right now. I need an HDMI 1.4 receiver that will work with a 580 and be able to pass 3d video along with whatever the new DTS/DD is called. My 580 only has one HDMI out, and I've read confusing stuff about people saying that it only does one or the other.

I want the Denon 1611 for $299 off Amazon, but the Nvidia site says I need a 1611CI. I can't find the CI version anywhere, and something tells me the 1611 will work anyway. Any advice?

JWong said:

Need I go on?

it's sad that he is arguing about sound quality and your only retort is ......features.

n0n44m

Jtrizzy said:
I'm trying to figure out my sound situation right now. I need an HDMI 1.4 receiver that will work with a 580 and be able to pass 3d video along with whatever the new DTS/DD is called. My 580 only has one HDMI out, and I've read confusing stuff about people saying that it only does one or the other.

I want the Denon 1611 for $299 off Amazon, but the Nvidia site says I need a 1611CI. I can't find the CI version anywhere, and something tells me the 1611 will work anyway. Any advice?

googling around there's this thread on Nvidia forum which makes it seem like Nvidia only has issues (bug?) when you are trying to bitstream DTS Master AND use 3D at the same time. To get around this you could let your Blu-Ray software decode the sound itself and send out the multichannel LPCM sound instead (should be same quality as bitstreaming anyway).

for games this is not an issue as all games will always be using multichannel LPCM anyway on PC :)

XxCGSxX

wwm0nkey said:
Open beta on all platforms.

it will be on PSN and XBLM when the beta opens up (MoH and Alpha players get a 2 day start)
Wait whoa, If I was in the Alpha I get the 2 day early code?

Sethos

Banned
Thrakier said:
Any news on move implementation?

Hopefully they won't allocate any resources to that.

wwm0nkey said:
Open beta on all platforms.

it will be on PSN and XBLM when the beta opens up (MoH and Alpha players get a 2 day start)

I don't think alpha players get a headstart. Only for MoH LE buyers and Origin pre-orders.

GrizzNKev

Banned
XxCGSxX said:
Wait whoa, If I was in the Alpha I get the 2 day early code?

Supposedly. After the alpha ended, some people got an email stating that they would have priority access to the beta. I didn't get that email, but I'm hoping it applies to everyone.

XxCGSxX

wwm0nkey said:
They said alpha players get in 2 days early like MoH players so yeah I guess so
Woooooo, come on release it already!!!
Edit: I didn't get the email either :( so I'm crossing my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom