• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

woober

Izayoi said:
Missiles and bombs will more than likely still be tied to an ammo system.

Yup. Jets will most likely have to fly back to the runway and fly over the landing strip to reload on missiles and bombs like previous Battlefields.

KingOfKong said:
not even comparable. its a totally different era as far as hardware is concerned. not only that but we have seen footage on the PS3 running it quite well, so the game is going to be pretty well optimized from what it looks like. People are overestimating the demands of this game in my opinion.

Some people really are.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
I know there has been a lot of worrying about the 360, esp since the PS3 version is the only console version shown. Demize says the 360 version is coming along wonderfully.

"marketing strategy" AKA Sony money hat?

I don't understand the logic in showing a game on the platform that has fewer potential customers.

Even when you're being paid to do so (unless that payment is a lot).

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Some people really are.

There is a difference between running a game, and locking in 60fps.

LordCanti said:
"marketing strategy" AKA Sony money hat?

I don't understand the logic in showing a game on the platform that has fewer potential customers.

Even when you're being paid to do so (unless that payment is a lot).

There is a difference between running a game, and locking in 60fps.

BF has been very popular in Europe, perhaps even more so than in the US and PS3 has a larger market share in Europe. Also, EA has been giving PS3 "exclusive/extra content" on a few games recently iirc. Sort of an opposite of Activision/MS I would guess.

BLOPS sold pretty competitively on the PS3 (12.9mil vs. 10.5 mil) and 360 install base is only 5 mil ahead of the PS3 so it's not like they're missing out on a massive advantage.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the PS3 price drop will likely boost sales of BF3 too.

Sai

LordCanti said:
I don't think that would help performance compared to running at a lower resolution in full screen mode. Unless scaling takes more GPU performance than I'm aware of.
D: Really? I thought that was working out really well for Half Life 2 and Assassin's Creed, didn't think I was taxing my card even more.

Right now I've got a GTX 550 Ti that I just put in my tower about an hour ago(just gotta wait for the 8 gigs of RAM to get here tomorrow morning, and I can boot this thing up). Nothing top of the line, but I'm hoping for decent results at lower resolutions.

Mr. Snrub said:
I know there has been a lot of worrying about the 360, esp since the PS3 version is the only console version shown. Demize says the 360 version is coming along wonderfully.
Interesting re: the "marketing strategy" & good to hear the 360 version is coming along, I was getting nervous. Obviously from what we've seen of the PS3 footage, it's not going to stack up to the PC version but as long as it's smooth and performs similarly to BFBC2, I'll be very happy. I thought the PS3 footage looked great for consoles, the lighting & lens effects were cool.

Can't wait.

LordCanti

Rygar 8 Bit said:

I thought it specifically says that it won't charge until the game ships? I've heard people say that it pre-authenticates, but that isn't the same thing as a charge (I'd have to check my statement).

Eric WK

LordCanti said:
I thought it specifically says that it won't charge until the game ships? I've heard people say that it pre-authenticates, but that isn't the same thing as a charge (I'd have to check my statement).

It probably holds the funds until the game ships. So while technically they haven't taken the money out of your account, they're preventing you from spending it. I had a recent order from Barnes and Noble do this.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
LordCanti said:

my online statements says the full price of the game was taken out

LordCanti

Animator said:
It depends on whether you got the free game offer or not.

That would make sense. At the time, I figured that the true motive of that offer was "take our free game, and get your pre-order converted to a pre-purchase" deal.

gibon3z said:
Just installed a Msi 6950 a little while ago. Will get a 2nd card for crossfire.

Crossfired 6950s should be more then enough for BF3.

One should be more than enough, unless we're talking very high resolutions (or 3D).

LordCanti said:
That would make sense. At the time, I figured that the true motive of that offer was "take our free game, and get your pre-order converted to a pre-purchase" deal.

One should be more than enough, unless we're talking very high resolutions (or 3D).

Planning on just 1080p on a 24 inch monitor with 2x -4x AA.

LordCanti

gibon3z said:

The one 6950 should be plenty. Granted, we don't know for sure yet, but two 6950's would be more appropriate for a 3D setup, or a 2560x1600 monitor.

If the 6950 isn't enough for BF3 @1080p with only 2-4 passes of AA, DICE has done something wrong.

gibon3z said:
At least wait till the game is out and see how it runs.
Monitor size means nothing, only resolution, and 1080p isn't high res. (not in the context of pc gaming).

You'll most likely be fine.

Just found this not sure how accurate it is but holy moly if true.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/complete-list-of-battlefield-3-weapons/

Javelin
Man portable 60mm mortars

1275905143_raging-midget.gif

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
KingOfKong said:
not even comparable. its a totally different era as far as hardware is concerned. not only that but we have seen footage on the PS3 running it quite well, so the game is going to be pretty well optimized from what it looks like. People are overestimating the demands of this game in my opinion.
people were SLIing 580s in anticipation for crysis 2 and the witcher when they ended up needing far less, it happens every time. some would rather it took a two 580s to run the game regardless of fidelity.

Izayoi

Banned
I got both free games and I was never charged for BF3 after pre-ordering on Origin.

I used a credit card if that matters.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
LordCanti said:
Mounted machine gun, main gun/driver, and maybe front facing machine gun?

Hopefully not driver/main gun/machine gun.

Who is going to want to just drive and not shoot anything?
Team players. Clearly. A driver would actually be a very good cannon spotter. He'd also be better at seeing and avoiding anti-tank attacks, setting up countermeasures, etc. I think it would make them more effective.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Josh7289 said:
Wasn't nobody able to run Crysis at 60 fps maxed out at launch?

I don't see why this would be any different. In fact it's a almost a good thing if it can't be run at max on normal cards at launch, since it'll stay relevant further into the future. People were still talking about Crysis as a gold standard I think even last year.
DID WE ALL FORGET E3? ONE 580 Nvidia card ran that tank demo and EACH of the multiplayer demo stations. Don't you remember?

Izayoi

Banned
doomed1 said:
DID WE ALL FORGET E3? ONE 580 Nvidia card ran that tank demo and EACH of the multiplayer demo stations. Don't you remember?
All of the gameplay demonstrations so far have been recorded on a rig with a i7-2600k and a single GTX 580.

I don't think anyone should be worried about beta/launch day performance, because it can only improve. I'd go so far as to say that a single GTX 570 will be able to net you very favorable performance (40FPS+) on high at 1080p.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I finally got to watch the co-op video (watched Caspian Sea earlier just to drool over it in the five minutes I was home) and there are only a couple things that worry me about it. There's and awful ghosting effect and the tearing is incredibly bad. I'm hoping both of these are due to the stream. The ghosting in Crysis 2 and Halo Reach really bugged me. I'm expecting there to be some tearing but some parts of the co-op demo were absolutely unacceptable, especially when they were firing in dark corridors. I'm pretty sure it had to have been amplified by the stream.

Other than that it seemed pretty solid for a multiplatform game. Lighting looked great. Some of the reticle, HUD, and taunt stuff seemed pretty off but I expect a lot of that to be fixed before launch. I'm really hoping that there is an option to adjust the size of the HUD on consoles since it seems huge on PS3, especially when the objective thing comes up.

kuYuri

So I'm watching the coop video, is the coop a separate campaign from the main single-player campaign (kind of like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Conviction), or is it small self-contained missions (like Uncharted 2 coop)?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Strider2K99 said:
So I'm watching the coop video, is the coop a separate campaign from the main single-player campaign (kind of like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Conviction), or is it small self-contained missions (like Uncharted 2 coop)?
10 separate missions

As much as I am all "PC master race" I might have to cave and get the 360 version.

9800GTS 1GB
4GB RAM
2.7ghz Intel C2D

Its a gaming laptop and I can't afford any sort of upgrade on a college budget.
Am I the minority in getting the 360 version?

Majanew

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Very good to hear. I wonder if it was ready to be shown back when DICE said it wasn't ready yet at E3. I'm definitely buying day one on 360, but if it runs like crap, it's going back to the store. Unless early reviews ask what happened to the 360 version lol.

Soi-Fong said:
What's worrying is that they have not shown the 360 version
Relax, it's about marketing deals. These days all of the good dev teams are putting out console versions which are almost identical anyway, and when there are differences it's the sort of stuff that you'd never even notice while playing the game.

G_Berry

Banned
Anyone else see the guy parachuting down in the trailer?

Can't wait to skydive into objectives after ditching my C4 covered jet into a tank!

Jtrizzy

Sony money hats probably. Microsoft does the same with COD. I'm sure the console versions are more or less the same, just like BC2.

Soi-Fong

Jtrizzy said:
Sony money hats probably. Microsoft does the same with COD. I'm sure the console versions are more or less the same, just like BC2.

Except Sony isn't even trying to make BF3 in any way "exclusive." They're not trying to get special map packs a month before 360 or anything like that. Why would they?

They have enough first-party games coming out this year such as UC3 and Resistance 3 that they don't need to depend on BF3.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Soi-Fong said:
Except Sony isn't even trying to make BF3 in any way "exclusive." They're not trying to get special map packs a month before 360 or anything like that.
How would you know what they are/aren't have/haven't tried?

MrBig

Snowblindvictim said:
As much as I am all "PC master race" I might have to cave and get the 360 version.

9800GTS 1GB
4GB RAM
2.7ghz Intel C2D

Its a gaming laptop and I can't afford any sort of upgrade on a college budget.
Am I the minority in getting the 360 version?
I have almost the same specs and am in the same position. 360 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom