• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 on PC... yea or nay?

Red Hood

Banned
The Premium Edition is on sale for €19.99 on Origin now (vanilla version €9.99), with around 18 hours left. I sank a nice amount of time in Battlefield 3 vanilla, both a few hundred in the PS3 version and then another hundred or so in the PC version. Most of the time I played Conquest. My favourite maps were Operation Metro (I'm aware it's included in BF4's Second Assault DLC), Grand Bazaar, Seine Crossing and Noshahr Canals. Tehran Highway and Damavand Peak were cool as well. But I didn't like the huge maps like Caspian Border, Kharg Island and Operation Firestorm. Are the maps from BF4 more like the former or the latter? And have they tweaked the gameplay a little bit, and is it for the worse or for the better? I noticed the sprinting animations having changed a little bit.

I've intentionally not asked this question in the OT, because I thought maybe the answers wouldn't be very representative.

PC is best place to play it if your hardware is good enough. I can play with high settings at 60fps with a i5-3570k and Radeon 7970 (and later with a Geforce 780). I believe the games scales well to lower hardware also.

Gameplay wise it's like BF 3.5. But I think weapons have a better feel.

Totally yay, forget every comment about it's release state, the game is way too diferent now. DICE LA went beyond fixing the mess DICE Stockholm made and improved the game in every single way it can.

oxidax

Hell yay!
Its awesome on PC. The graphics are great and playing it with the mouse and keyboard feels great too!

Yuuichi

I have ~125 hours in the PC version, and it's a pretty good time. It would probably be a little more fun if I had people to play with. Unlocking things is kind of a grind, and while I haven't found any gun that much better than any other , it can be hard to find one you like using which can really make unlocking feel like a chore. Also expect to have some trouble in vehicles for a while unless you played a lot of 3. Otherwise aside from the occasional technical hiccup, it runs and plays rather well.

The map design felt better than 3 to me as a whole, though I never had premium for three. However, it feels many of the maps lean towards more of that open design that you're not a fan of, but you can play on severs with the maps you prefer, so it shouldn't be an issue. I usually only play on all map rotation servers, to contextualize my experience.

TheTurboFD

Totally yay, forget every comment about it's release state, the game is way too diferent now. DICE LA went beyond fixing the mess DICE Stockholm made and improved the game in every single way it can.

Totally agree, BF4 was crap at launch now it feels like a completely different game. Night map too good :D

psn

Still the worst of all parts imo.

Even Hardline is more fun to me ...

-I still don't see a need for the AA, especially when its so effective against infantry, too.

-Too many vehicles on the smaller maps.
-Attack helicopter still broken and nearly useless compared to the little bird for example
-Classes still unbalanced

Too late here to continue the list, but it would be really long..

Rizific

i bought bf4 at launch and just bought all the dlc a few weeks ago. except i paid $40 =(. if you want to play more bf4 and on the best platform, then i vote yay.

Renekton

Some BF3 fans were salt over the lower BF4 server polling/tick rates. Might be worth a google.

Other than that, Frostbite is rockstable even on toasters.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pc version is the least bad, but the game is still very broken
Mechanically, I can't really say it's any more broken than any other BF game at this point, although the Rush maps are hella weak. My main frustration is getting on a team full of suck bags that won't PTFO.

Mechanically, I can't really say it's any more broken than any other BF game at this point, although the Rush maps are hella weak. My main frustration is getting on a team full of suck bags that won't PTFO.

i guess ill clraify that by broken i dont mean the game crashes or doesnt function. i just mean that none of the gameplay systems produce reliable results. the game is quite random, which for an fps is quite bad.

Hell fuckin yeah get it on PC. Premium edition is dirt cheap right now and its worth it. I went back and tried out Battlefield on PS4 after playing the PC version for a month and the difference is still crazy.

daxy

Been thinking about jumping onto this as well. Is multiplayer still active? Battlefront is coming out in a month, so I'm not sure if it's a great idea.

I really want to get Titanfall tbh, but I hear it's on life support for PC.

Been thinking about jumping onto this as well. Is multiplayer still active? Battlefront is coming out in a month, so I'm not sure if it's a great idea.

I really want to get Titanfall tbh, but I hear it's on life support for PC.

Yeah the player base on BF4 is still really active. But a lot of the different types of game modes aren't really active. Conquest, TDM, and Rush is the most active.

Now is a really good time to jump in. Zavod Graveyard shift just came out and free to everyone. The community map should be released soon which looks awesome. They are working on Dragon Valley remake.. not sure when this is released. And still rumors floating around of more remake maps coming out... but take with a grain of salt.

With all the updates and everything that Dice LA has done, the game feels pretty tight. There's still some tweaks that need to be done but it's definitely a ton times better

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But I didn't like the huge maps like Caspian Border, Kharg Island and Operation Firestorm.

Not to sound like an asshole, but: The series isn't for you, then. It sounds like you want Call of Duty style maps which most of the player base simply doesn't want.

Gaogaogao

there are still a lot of people playing it. yay! its too bad a patch nerfed all attachments. at least that makes starting out with nothing easier.

wrongway

Still playing and enjoying it on PC myself. It's loads of fun, and I think the map quality is markedly better than BF3 Vanilla, at least from a Conquest perspective. Though that said, I consider Metro to be the worst map the series has ever had, and one of the worst maps I've ever seen from a AAA game, so your mileage may vary. :p

BF4 does include a few clusterfuck maps though (updated Metro, Operation Locker, Pearl Market, Flood Zone). You might want to poke around for some pictures of the maps and see if there are enough that suit your fancy.

Spacejaws

I made the leap this year from PS4 version to PC and wow is it just a whole shit ton better gameplay wise.

The only negatives I have is the stupid battlelog interface. The only thing that is worse on the PC. Should just be an ingame interface.

Yes, buy it on PC, Love it. Once it got past it's abysmal launch it's support has been excellent and will continue for awhile still with free updates. Has a very solid playerbase as well and I don't see Battlefront bleeding much of it off.

Sajjaja

Yes, buy it on PC, Love it. Once it got past it's abysmal launch it's support has been excellent and will continue for awhile still with free updates. Has a very solid playerbase as well and I don't see Battlefront bleeding much of it off.
Especially seeing how most people forgot Hard-line exists (what it seems like anyways), seems like BF4 is here for a while longer.

If you can stand how screwed up it is, PC is definitely your best bet. It's better than BF3, but it's also just as flawed. Maps are... better? Not really sure, it's a frustrating experience.

zma1013

Unfortunately the map design in BF4 took a nosedive and is not as good as BF3 maps. Also, in BF4 there is a lack of actual medium sized, infantry/ground vehicle maps that BF3 had, like Seine Crossing, Grand Bazaar etc etc. You either play on smaller, enclosed infantry only maps or you play on gigantic open maps. It's one of my main gripes with the game.

TVexperto

I bought it a few weeks ago (just the regular version, no premium) and I love it! I played all the Battlefield Games on a computer and this is the first one I bought on PS4 and I have to admit after playing the Hardline Beta on PS4, BF4 feels just so much better and plays much more fluent on the PS4. There are also still 30,000-40,000 people playing the ps4 version (less people are playing on PC):

http://bf4stats.com/

Top Bottom