• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
but for Kamiya not to direct, whether he feels the engine is still very strong for WiiU and a technical guy like Hashimoto will make the best of it on WiiU, or he probably was offered something even more delicious.

I suspect that Kamiya was originally the director of Bayonetta 2 and that after the game was cancelled, he began working on W101 for Nintendo. Between Bayonetta and now we literally had no idea what he was doing, so unless he wasn't directing anything until he picked up W101, it had to have been Bayonetta 2.

Now, of course, he's busy being the main man on W101 so they've appointed someone else to finish the job with Kamiya looking over his shoulder.

Madworld is greatness. Anyone that loves old school beat em ups needs to play it.

Madworld was seriously held back by it's low production budget. From the frequently looping audio samples to the low quality cutscenes and underdeveloped mechanics, you could tell that the game simply didn't get the budget or staff it needed to bring it's vision to life.

It was good for what it was, but it also is one of my least played Wii games to date with less than 7 hours of total gameplay, in which time I finished it, and never had the urge to play it again. I wanted to love it, but it was just too unpolished to enjoy for me.

I still maintain that if the game had a proper budget and staff that it could've been the amazing brawler that it should've been.

Somehow I doubt that Bayonetta 2 will suffer from an inadequate budget or staff.

Theonik

I suspect that Kamiya was originally the director of Bayonetta 2 and that after the game was cancelled, he began working on W101 for Nintendo. Between Bayonetta and now we literally had no idea what he was doing, so unless he wasn't directing anything until he picked up W101, it had to have been Bayonetta 2.

Now, of course, he's busy being the main man on W101 so they've appointed someone else to finish the job with Kamiya looking over his shoulder.
According to one of Kamiya's tweets Hashimoto actually volunteered to direct Bayonetta 2.

Azure J

Bayonetta-2-credits.jpg

Did some research...for those interested.

These are previous games worked on by these individuals.

Atsushi Inaba:RECodeVX/DMC1/VJ1/2/Okami/GodHand/MadWorld/Vanquish

Yusuke Hashimoto: RE3/Zero/Remake/4/DMC1/GodHand/Bayonetta

Mari Shimazaki: Okami/GodHand/Bayonetta

Yusuke Kan:RE3/Remake/4/DinoCrisis1/2/Onimusha/Okami/MadWorld/Bayonetta/Vanquish

Hirono Sato: MadWorld/Nights Journey(SEGA?)

Masami Imamura: Vanquish

Takaaki Yamaguchi: DMC1/Remake/Bayonetta/Vanquish

Hiroki Onishi: RE3/DMC1/2(Ouch!)/Vanquish

Koji Tanaka: Vanquish

Misaki Tsukamoto: (?)

Shuichiro Chiboshi: Vanquish

Kazunori Inoue: RE1/2/3/Remake/4/DMC1/GodHand/Bayonetta/Vanquish

Masami Ueda: RE1/2/3/DMC1/VJ1/2/Okami/Bayonetta/Vanquish

Daisuke Sakata: Okami/GodHand/Bayonetta/Vanquish

Hideki Kamiya: RE1/2/DMC1/VJ1/2/Okami/Bayonetta

Feel free to help fill in anything missing and/or correct any mistakes.

x9b0u.jpg

Just worth adding that the infamous death threat tweet came from Yokohama, Japan:

https://twitter.com/CNBFTBGB/status...6285810889027584&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

EDIT: Real charmer he is too, using homophobic hate language and threatening to murder people who question him on his earlier threats.

https://twitter.com/CNBFTBGB/status/246482200864911360
https://twitter.com/CNBFTBGB/status/246432165099884544
https://twitter.com/CNBFTBGB/status/246429180990988288
https://twitter.com/CNBFTBGB/status/246429078264098816
https://twitter.com/CNBFTBGB/status/246479381780905984
https://twitter.com/mark_ceb/status/246391289703182336

He then refers to those calling him out on his abhorrent behavior as "fanboys". Isn't it illegal to threaten to kill someone via Twitter, by the way?

EDIT EDIT - he's lying, he's posting from a USA IP and lying in his personal info saying that he is from Japan.

Some people should just be excluded from the internet forever.

I'm pretty sure Kamiya doesn't make sequels to his own games, and to be perfectly honest, aside from technical issues (framerate drops even on the 360) and a few gimmick missions, Bayonetta was a perfect game. I just don't see what they could add to it, personally.

hachi

Banned
Forbes.com: How Nintendo Is Taking Over The Japanese Video Game Market One IP At A Time

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/18/how-nintendo-is-taking-over-the-japanese-video-game-market-one-ip-at-a-time/

Earlier this year, Nintendo purchased exclusive publication rights to horror title Fatal Frame. The original Fatal Frame debuted on Xbox and PS2.

Games like Bayonetta originally debuted on Xbox 360 and PS3, but with Sega apparently uninterested in pursuing a sequel, Nintendo recently acquired exclusive publication rights for the action title as well, adding it to the long list of Wii U launch window games.

In 2007, Nintendo bought up Monolith Soft, the developer behind the Xenosaga franchise, acquiring 80% of the company from its former owner Namco Bandai.

Three years later, Nintendo released Xenoblade Chronicles in Japan as an exclusive Wii title, an RPG that would come to North America two years later.

Meanwhile, Capcom’s Monster Hunter series has made almost no appearance on current systems outside of the Wii and now an upcoming Wii U exclusive.

If these exclusive deals continue, or if Nintendo decides to keep buying up old IPs and struggling studios, we could see a transformation of the Japanese video game market, especially given Microsoft’s poor footing overseas and Sony’s current struggles.

Some interesting bits in there, food for debate, though nothing particularly new in either facts or arguments.

explodet

ehhh, the Monster Hunter point is kinda pushing an already shaky premise - they're releasing an update to Monster Hunter Frontier for the 360/PC in Japan, so it's not a total abandonment of other platforms.

Boney

Banned
ehhh, the Monster Hunter point is kinda pushing an already shaky premise - they're releasing an update to Monster Hunter Frontier for the 360/PC in Japan, so it's not a total abandonment of other platforms.
It's mindshare

It's pretty obvious they've been agressively tackling this, but Wii and to a lesser extent DS weren't the best homes to succesfully achieve this. An early launch and beefing up the hardware should help a lot. It'll mean jack shit to western oriented games though

jman2050

It's mindshare

It's pretty obvious they've been agressively tackling this, but Wii and to a lesser extent DS weren't the best homes to succesfully achieve this. An early launch and beefing up the hardware should help a lot. It'll mean jack shit to western oriented games though

It might not matter if the west becomes as mobile/facebook obsessed as it seems to be trending towards.

mattp

hashimoto is directing, so even if this guy who's the lead game designer, hashimoto is the one leading things overall, right?

Meelow

Banned
Forbes.com: How Nintendo Is Taking Over The Japanese Video Game Market One IP At A Time

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/18/how-nintendo-is-taking-over-the-japanese-video-game-market-one-ip-at-a-time/

Some interesting bits in there, food for debate, though nothing particularly new in either facts or arguments.

So what Forbes is saying is Nintendo wants Japan to be Nintendo Land?, with all the exclusive Japanese games coming to Nintendo systems I wouldn't be shocked.

Riposte

I'm really excited at the prospect of there possibly being three (or four?!) Platinum games next year, for the US. That's madness.

Platinum games should make a god hand clone starring captain falcon.

Why would Captain Falcon fight like Gene? He isn't a kung-fu master who potentially knows hundreds of moves. He's pretty famous for a handful of moves.

I'm pretty sure Kamiya doesn't make sequels to his own games, and to be perfectly honest, aside from technical issues (framerate drops even on the 360) and a few gimmick missions, Bayonetta was a perfect game. I just don't see what they could add to it, personally.

He actually came out and said that he has no issue with making sequels to his own games, and that in fact he's wanted to make sequels for all of his games but never gets the chance to (and this was only a few days ago).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Never played Bayonetta, is the PS3 version the shits or did they patch it?

Compared to the 360 version, it's shit. Less stable framerate, worse graphics, and tearing. It's a typically problematic PS3 port.

Buuut I picked it up when I got my PS3, along with Vanquish, and unless you're really anal about the framerate/tearing it's totally playable and enjoyable. It's not 'broken' or anything. Pre-patch the main issue was ludicrously long load times. The patch included an install option, which speeds up loads dramatically.

As someone else put it, if the PS3 version is the difference between playing Bayonetta and never playing Bayonetta, then pick it up.

cajunator

Banned
The demos for ps3 and 360 bayonetta were different.
Not really sure if that was just to show different parts of the game or due to limitations of the ps3 port. For example the 360 had the intro part with the falling clocktower and I dont remember the ps3 demo starting the same way.

mooooose

Why would Captain Falcon fight like Gene? He isn't a kung-fu master who potentially knows hundreds of moves. He's pretty famous for a handful of moves.
Who the fuck cares? Besides his current lore is that he is a Bounty Hunter when he isn't racing and his current moves are based on martial arts. Just fluff that shit up.

It would print money.

Tain

MadWorld was directed by Shigenori Nishikawa, who is nowhere in sight, but yeah I'm curious about what exactly Sato handled in MadWorld.

Madworld is greatness. Anyone that loves old school beat em ups needs to play it.

Madworld doesn't play like any classic belt scroll games in the slightest. It's a complete pushover of a game on all difficulties, with a boring scoring system slapped on to the not-all-that-varied kill options as a bandaid. Great soundtrack, and the commentary was good, but it's easily (easily) Platinum's worst action game and a lesser game than all the arcade belt scroll greats.

They've been releasing aces ever since, though, including Max Anarchy, so I'm not worried yet.

It's obvious how much the hardcore fan base doesn't like the choice of this game being a Wii U exclusive, but in the end they will still buy it on Wii U for the fact that they care so much in the first place.....

PetrCobra

Forbes.com: "Nintendo is stealing all our games!"

Anyway, I don't think it's a bad thing for the games to be handled/funded by Nintendo. Not sure about the developers, it was not supposed to be easy to develop for Nintendo in the West from what I've read, but it surely has to be a great experience.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MadWorld was directed by Shigenori Nishikawa, who is nowhere in sight, but yeah I'm curious about what exactly Sato handled in MadWorld.

He went to work at Tango with Mikami. Sato's track record is far worse than his though, I wish he wasn't credited as Lead Game Designer for this.

He actually came out and said that he has no issue with making sequels to his own games, and that in fact he's wanted to make sequels for all of his games but never gets the chance to (and this was only a few days ago).
Indeed. I remember how he was annoyed when Okamiden came out, because he wanted to make a sequel to Okami, but Okamiden made him lose interest.

Madworld doesn't play like any classic belt scroll games in the slightest. It's a complete pushover of a game on all difficulties, with a boring scoring system slapped on to the not-all-that-varied kill options as a bandaid. Great soundtrack, and the commentary was good, but it's easily (easily) Platinum's worst action game and a lesser game than all the arcade belt scroll greats.

They've been releasing aces ever since, though, including Max Anarchy, so I'm not worried yet.
You just gave me a smidge of interest in Max Anarchy.

HYDE

Banned
Has it been discussed how people feel the Wii U controller will seem like a natural adaption coming from the XBOX 360 controller? I know the Wii U's triggers aren't quite the same, but as far as I remember they didn't use pressure sensitivity with Bayonetta.

Also, can someone compile a list of those who were on the original Bayonetta that aren't on the sequel. Daunting task...is anyone up for it??

Theonik

The demos for ps3 and 360 bayonetta were different.
Not really sure if that was just to show different parts of the game or due to limitations of the ps3 port. For example the 360 had the intro part with the falling clocktower and I dont remember the ps3 demo starting the same way.
I seem to remember the clocktower part on the PS3 demo but it wasn't there in later versions of the demo or I'm not remembering right it's probably because the clocktower part runs pretty shitty on PS3.

Has it been discussed how people feel the Wii U controller will seem like a natural adaption coming from the XBOX 360 controller? I know the Wii U's triggers aren't quite the same, but as far as I remember they didn't use pressure sensitivity with Bayonetta.

Also, can someone compile a list of those who were on the original Bayonetta that aren't on the sequel. Daunting task...is anyone up for it??

Somebody already did this in this thread.
Check the last two or three pages, it's there somewhere.

zroid

Banned
Maybe if this goes well, Nintendo and Sega will strike up an agreement for a new console Valkyria Chronicles on Wii U. Oh sweet Jesus, hold me...

I'm still so excited for an uber optimized game from them on an innovative system.

Captain Falcon's knee alone potentially knows hundreds of moves.

It certainly has hundreds of uses. Base a game around those uses and there you have it. The isn't just used for fighting, oh no...the knee is used for living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom