• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

Some of the reactions in this thread are priceless. Also, wonderful work again, Mama. Your list was good for a few laughs.

Huge get for Nintendo with Bayonetta 2. Can't wait to check it out.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
While Nintendo are feeling rather generous to the "core" whiners, how about picking up the following;

Shenmue 3
Jet Set Radio 3
A er, more palatable sequel to Valkyria Chronicles...
Panzer Dragoon Saga 2
NiGHTS

Start as you mean to go on, Iwata, old boy.

Stop this wildly exciting talk right now! ;)

I'm sure Sega will collapse in the near future anyway so they can go and pick up whatever they want.

Nintendo could step in and secure a console PSO2 before they go totally tits up though, the Western release seems dangerously far away and I'd really like a full console one. Be a nice fit on Wii U with the controller as well.

Lyonaz

I wonder with the recent close relationship of Nintendo and Platinum games if Miyamoto would let Kamiya make a Star Fox game?

In any case I look forward to Bayo 2 and The Wonderful 101 game.

Margalis

Banned
Basically every major publisher except Nintendo has flat-out said that they are pursuing a strategy of fewer but more expensive games. Everyone is hoping for a super-blockbuster. Probably not a great strategy but that is the strategy.

jman2050

Stop this wildly exciting talk right now! ;)

I'm sure Sega will collapse in the near future anyway so they can go and pick up whatever they want.

Nintendo could step in and secure a console PSO2 before they go totally tits up though, the Western release seems dangerously far away and I'd really like a full console one. Be a nice fit on Wii U with the controller as well.

Nintendo buys the Sega name and IPs from Sammy, fully folds all Sega properties into Nintendo proper.

If that happened I'd love to go back in time and tell my 8-year old Sega fanboy self what the future holds.

Quite possibly the largest pile of sodium on NeoGAF since Final Fantasy 13 on 360 announcement.

DQ X was worse.

And of course Epic Mickey as well.

StuBurns

Banned
In other words, my series of posts have not been intended to suggest what publishers should do, or what I think they will do, or to suggest what is a good idea or what isn't. I'm simply explaining what is happening and why. That is all.
Okay, but if you agree there is an inherent breaking point in this concept, and that if they continue to do this, we will eventually reach it, you must also anticipate a change in strategy before that happens right? Sooner or later, they either have to get a lot more people playing games, or they need to stop increasing the costs of making them. A new generation just seems like a natural place to switch things up to me.
Replace toothbrushes with, let's say, Android phones then. Do people get upset that lots of options exist? To the contrary, almost everyone agrees that this is one of the strengths of Android. If you want a super cheap phone or an expensive one, a big phone or a small one, an international phone or a local only one, you have your pick.

Now let's expand it, instead, to iPhone vs. Android -- then, yes, people get upset. People don't mind competition within a single brand (Android), but they do mind it when you talk about multiple brands. I think this shows that it isn't really about "options," but about loyalty to specific brands.

And rabid brand loyalty isn't something we're likely to endorse here on GAF. Thou shalt not engage in idolatry.
Phones are bad analogy I think, because although you can have multiple phones, it's not really very practical. I want an iPhone, because I think iOS is much better than Android, and I want the Galaxy S3, because I think the handset is much better than an iPhone. I can't help but be frustrated at that situation, it's not like gaming consoles at all, because there's no reason not to own the three, if you want them of course.

SmokyDave

Replace toothbrushes with, let's say, Android phones then. Do people get upset that lots of options exist? To the contrary, almost everyone agrees that this is one of the strengths of Android. If you want a super cheap phone or an expensive one, a big phone or a small one, an international phone or a local only one, you have your pick.

Now let's expand it, instead, to iPhone vs. Android -- then, yes, people get upset. People don't mind competition within a single brand (Android), but they do mind it when you talk about multiple brands. I think this shows that it isn't really about "options," but about loyalty to specific brands.
I honestly think its more that people bought an app on the iPhone and then saw the sequel released exclusively on android.

I don't understand why people bother to whinge about it at length but I totally understand why it pisses people off. Imagine watching two films of a trilogy on blu-ray and then the third is released exclusively on hd-dvd.

I mean, we can dance the analogy dance all night but ultimately what's done is done. Bayonetta fans either buy a Wii-U or they miss out on the game. That's all there is to it. I don't think it's going to kill anyone to miss out on a single videogame, far worse fates could befall us.

KuGsj.gif
Apt analogy.

"I-it's not like I want the system or anything! Baka! (I have to keep up appearances.)"
Do you buy every console every gen?

If not, why not? Don't pretend there aren't two games that interest you.

MarkusRJR

Dat butthurt. If Nintendo didn't pick up the game it'd probably never be released. In either situation PS3/360-only owners wouldn't get a chance to play the game, so they should just be quiet.

At least now there's a chance for people to play Bayonetta 2 and that's all that should matter.

near

Gold Member
I don't think the sentiment is unreasonable, but I'd argue that the reaction is in any way commensurate or reflective of what you're describing.

Let's take this away from gaming, for a second. Let's imagine, instead, that two toothbrushes made by two different companies have features that are distinct, but both good. One cleans your tongue a little better, the other gets your gums or something, I don't know, who cares. Let's also say you're only looking to buy one of these.

Would your reaction to having two different but good choices, as a consumer, be frustration? Anger? Would you lash out at the gum-cleaning-toothbrush company for making a good product that makes you consider which one you want to buy? Generally speaking, I like it when I find two good things instead of only one good thing.

Similarly, we can be pretty confident that the PS4/720 will get good third party support, and now maybe the Wii U will get some decent support as well. We now have several good products to choose from, instead of just one. I don't think most rational people respond to greater consumer choices with frustration and anger.

When you put it in context like that I agree with you on every word. But I guess it entirely depends on who you're debating with - if someone is arguing they have no intention of buying the WiiU because they plan on getting a PS4 or X720 then one might argue they're limiting themselves as a gamer, and they are voicing there frustrations with this announcement with fanboy-ish like behaviour. But if one - using your toothbrush example - wishes to have a toothbrush that cleans your tongue well and gets the gums (but this isn't on the market) he is likely to pick the toothbrush that works well for him at this current moment, rather than having to use two toothbrushes in the morning. Similarly, while PS4/720 will have good third party support, and Nintendo are pushing into that direction too with WiiU, there is no guarantee which direction the market will head and if there will be a balance in shares. Someone's pie will be bigger than the other, and the odd ball exclusive will be there. Options are good, but if you had to choose one then ofcourse you'll be frustrated with the limitation.

Mardak

Would you be willing to pay $300 for a console + $60 for a game if said game was the only thing that interested you on said console? I know some GAFfers bought PS3s for like $800 just for FF XIII or whatever, but people who buy a console for one single game are in the minority.
I guess people buying Wii U just for Bayonetta 2 will drive down Wii U's software tie ratio?

Beckx

Wouldn't it just?

Oh, and while we're at it... more Vanquish would not go amiss, either!

MY BODY IS REGGIE!

As much as I'd love a new Vanquish, I don't want a new Vanquish without Mikami, and I think that collaboration might be difficult with him at another company (and Zwei announced as his last game...but then again, Hero was supposed to be Jet Li's last movie).

Opiate

Okay, but if you agree there is an inherent breaking point in this concept, and that if they continue to do this, we will eventually reach it, you must also anticipate a change in strategy before that happens right? Sooner or later, they either have to get a lot more people playing games, or they need to stop increasing the costs of making them. A new generation just seems like a natural place to switch things up to me.

Possibly, but the breaking point has not been reached, and there is strong incentive for them to continue along the path they have chosen.

Specifically, the strategy they've thus far employed has helped develop a taste in many "core" gamers for increasingly larger, better produced, more detailed worlds. The games need to get more "epic" or people aren't interested.

In other words, it's no longer possible to simply turn around and go another direction without significant complications. That's sort of what Nintendo did, and you can see the intense criticism they received from "core" gamers in the process.

I think it's entirely possible that many companies will continue on this path until they really do collapse, as they've painted themselves in to a corner. Perhaps I'm wrong, and they'll find a way out, but I see no evidence that they plan to work their way out of the corner they've painted themselves in to any time soon.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well, it took long enough. Now... what's next? Gears of War on PlayStation 4? The hype train is departing.

Technically Epic could make Gears 4 multiplat if they wanted, but I have a hard time imagining Microsoft would let the Gears series slip, as it is more or less a de facto MS exclusive by now :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do you buy every console every gen?

If not, why not? Don't pretend there aren't two games that interest you.

Usually, I find it more productive to invest the money I would use buying other consoles and accompanying accessories and games into just buying more games for the consoles I already have.

Famassu

I don't understand why people bother to whinge about it at length but I totally understand why it pisses people off. Imagine watching two films of a trilogy on blu-ray and then the third is released exclusively on hd-dvd.
Except here it's more of a situation of the first movie being on DVD and then the second one on Blu-ray, yet some people want it on HD-DVD and not Blu-ray, even though they know shit about HD-DVD or what it will offer while they have this great sequel on Blu-ray.

SmokyDave

Usually, I find it more productive to invest the money I would use buying other consoles and accompanying accessories and games into just buying more games for the consoles I already have.
I don't think I understand your answer. Do you, or not?

It sounds like you're still buying NES games if I'm reading your answer correctly.

Except here it's more of a situation of the first movie being on DVD and then the second one on Blu-ray, yet some people want it on HD-DVD and not Blu-ray, even though they know shit about HD-DVD or what it will offer while they have this great sequel on Blu-ray.
What do you mean they know shit? Are you familiar with exclusive franchises?

Should a Gran Turismo fan wait and see which system it ends up on next-gen?

Very nice move of Nintendo. I hope this is going to be really good and will lead to more Platinum games for the Wii U.
Going through this thread it seems like a lot of "hardcore" gamers are not willing to accept Nintendo's change of course, yet they gave Nintendo shit when it didn't cater to the "hardcore" gamers enough. Quite ironic, but I think this is just a vocal minority and most fans of the genre/IP will buy the game.
I wonder if Nintendo has secured any other, unexpected, "hardcore" IP exclusives for the Wii U, and if we can expect GTA V for it.

Quite possibly the largest pile of sodium on NeoGAF since Final Fantasy 13 on 360 announcement.

Difference is, you could still play the game on PS3. Now, everyone that bought the first game for a MS or Sony console is now forced to buy Nintendo's new console to see how the sequel unfolds. Same thing with Devil May Cry, went to 360 but was still on PS3. Could you imagine if Gears of War 4 all the sudden was published by Sony on the PS4? Rage of 1000 suns.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think I understand your answer. Do you, or not?

It sounds like you're still buying NES games if I'm reading your answer correctly.

Well obviously, upgrading to a new generation isn't hard to justify since the releases for the old one dry up.

Really, I should own more consoles than I do, but I feel guilty buying new consoles with a backlog. It took until two weeks ago for me to buy a 3DS even though I had wanted one since launch (that turned out to be a smart move.)

chris3116

I just came to work and I saw this. Good job Nintendo to make a good old meltdown like that and there's also Monster Hunter 3G that now has a Wii U online version. If people thought that Wii U would be a joke, they should turn their tongues. Nintendo should try to get Final Fantasy Versus XIII exclusive just to see more meltdown.

SmokyDave

Well obviously, upgrading to a new generation isn't hard to justify since the releases for the old one dry up.

Really, I should own more consoles than I do, but I feel guilty buying new consoles with a backlog. It took until two weeks ago for me to buy a 3DS even though I had wanted one since launch (that turned out to be a smart move.)
Then I find myself surprised that you can't empathise with people that don't want to buy every console.

I usually do buy them all and inevitably end up with buyers remorse. I've promised myself I won't do that this time, but we shall see. New toys are fun, after all.

Famassu

I haven't said anywhere that PS4 and 720 will necessarily be 'better' (unless we're talking hardware specs, where I'm fairly certain PS4 and 720 will be relatively similar, and both will have better specs than Wii U). But the PS4 will give me Sony's exclusive games, so it makes more sense for me to get a console that offers me first-party franchises I want to play (God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted and maybe inFamous 3) + multiplat games than to get a Wii U just for Bayonetta and whatever potential third party exclusives that may appear in the future (since I don't really care all that much about Nintendo's first-party games in general). Obviously, I could just get a Wii U + a PS4, but I barely have the time to play my PS3 as it is (with the PSP, PS2 and PC left to gather dust), so it would most likely just be a waste of money for me to buy two consoles when I could just get a PS4 and get my fill from that.
That's just it, you don't know that PS4 will offer all that you assume it will.

Never heard about The Wonderful 101 tbh, will check it out. That said, I'm generally not a fan of developers or designers, but of IPs.

Edit: Checked the trailer for Wonderful 101. Didn't look very appealing to me personally tbh.
I'm sorry, but I just find your kind of attitude kinda sad. You're so set in your ways that you're not willing to at least give a chance to new experiences. I guess it's just hard to comprehend for a person like me who likes everything from Mario to Silent Hill to Bayonetta to Borderlands to Final Fantasy to Planescape Torment to Ouendan to BlazBlue to Uncharted etc. (except generic FPS games like CoD & such), how some people can have such closed off preferences in games that they don't even want to at least try to change so that they could enjoy more good games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Then I find myself surprised that you can't empathise with people that don't want to buy every console.

I usually do buy them all and inevitably end up with buyers remorse. I've promised myself I won't do that this time, but we shall see. New toys are fun, after all.

There's nothing wrong with this mentality it's the feeling obligated it should be ported that seems wrong should turn out (likely) the game was dead and Nintendo saved it. Then your being angry for no real reason. The words tough cookies and that's life should be said and the person quickly moves on. It's one of those occasions where there really isn't publisher/developer obligation to consumer.

Difference is, you could still play the game on PS3. Now, everyone that bought the first game for a MS or Sony console is now forced to buy Nintendo's new console to see how the sequel unfolds. Same thing with Devil May Cry, went to 360 but was still on PS3. Could you imagine if Gears of War 4 all the sudden was published by Sony on the PS4? Rage of 1000 suns.

The difference also is that those games were going to be made without exclusivity.

Bayonetta 2 does not exist without Nintendo.

That is the big difference between those games and this.

Do people not understand this part of it?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
That's just it, you don't know that PS4 will offer all that you assume it will.

I assume it will offer higher hardware specs than the Wii U (going by the rumours about PS4/720 specs) and sequels to succesful first-party franchises, yes.

I'm sorry, but I just find your kind of attitude kinda sad. You're so set in your ways that you're not willing to at least give a chance to new experiences. I guess it's just hard to comprehend for a person like me who likes everything from Mario to Silent Hill to Bayonetta to Borderlands to Final Fantasy to Planescape Torment to Ouendan to BlazBlue to Uncharted etc. (except generic FPS games like CoD & such), how some people can have such closed off preferences in games that they don't even want to at least try to change so that they could enjoy more good games.

No worries, different tastes and all that. I know what genres and IPs I like and stick to those, while others like to try a lot of different things. Neither of us are really right or wrong :)

Sorry if this is redundant but it was basically confirmed that Bayonetta 2 was dead right? Multiple sources have reported it? Debating with someone who thinks SEGA would have funded the game if Nintendo didn't.

It was never officially confirmed, but it was rumoured to be in development, and then rumoured to be cancelled. Sega wouldn't have funded the game because Sega frankly can't afford to ATM.

NFreak

Sorry if this is redundant but it was basically confirmed that Bayonetta 2 was dead right? Multiple sources have reported it? Debating with someone who thinks SEGA would have funded the game if Nintendo didn't (lol).

SmokyDave

There's nothing wrong with this mentality it's the feeling obligated it should be ported that seems wrong should turn out (likely) the game was dead and Nintendo saved it. Then your being angry for no real reason. The words tough cookies and that's life should be said and the person quickly moves on. It's one of those occasions where there really isn't publisher/developer obligation to consumer.
Oh absolutely. This project was publicly announced as dead in the water. Any real ire ought to be directed at Sony or MS for not doing what Nintendo did: saving it.

Famassu

What do you mean they know shit? Are you familiar with exclusive franchises?

Should a Gran Turismo fan wait and see which system it ends up on next-gen?
Will they play Gran Turismo 6 next year? 2014? 2019? I mean, I guess it's ok if they are fine with the waiting game, but Bayonetta 2 will quite likely be released within a year from now (if they didn't stop working on it for too long after SEGA abandoned it, should've been in development for at least 2-2,5 years now).

Seik

Banned
The difference also is that those games were going to be made without exclusivity.

Bayonetta 2 does not exist without Nintendo.

That is the big difference between those games and this.

Do people not understand this part of it?
This.

I don't know man, its like some really don't want to understand this, like, even if you tell them. :/

ohlawd

I finally caught up... and it was worth it.

Now I know that GAF can be pretty stupid just like the rest of the internet.

Sorry if this is redundant but it was basically confirmed that Bayonetta 2 was dead right? Multiple sources have reported it? Debating with someone who thinks SEGA would have funded the game if Nintendo didn't (lol).
All signs point to Sega never ever funding the game and Nintendo saving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom