• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC announces the top 100 American films of all time according to critics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z..

Welp, we got into the "affront to film buff" part of the conversation, so here we go with my record skip.

I really do not like 2001: A Space Odyssey

It's a loose adaptation of thus spoke zarathustra, once you get to terms with the whole Übermensch mythos behind it, it becomes 100 times better. It's as close to Tarkovsky as american cinema ever got, thematically. Give it another go with that in mind, maybe you'll change your mind.

As for my cardinal sin... fuck Godard up the ass.

Citizen Kane is a godawful movie (this coming from someone who enjoyed Movie43 and The Man With Iron Fists).
I certainly hope you weren't one of the voters.

People hating on Citizen Kane makes no sense to me. Yes, it's a safe pick. But I watched it recently and it still impressed me with its cinematography, the acting, the trip of watching a man become what he hated. The blocking alone and how people end up where they do when they do in every single shot is just so goddamn impressive. You'd have thought it was Welles' fifth or sixth film, but it was his debut.

Orson Welles is a goddamn national treasure.

kswiston

It's technically a marvelous film that looks great even up against contemporary films.

The plot was a convoluted mess that presented a ham-fisted philosophical statement on the nature of science and man.

Arthur C Clarke's novel was easier to follow

MisterR

Way too many old movies on there. Old movies get way more praise than they deserve. Nostalgia is fucking powerful shit.

Then when a modern movie is on there its Dark Knight? Christ.

Nah, in general there haven't been many truly great movies made lately. Those old movies for the most part stand way above current films.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
This is false. I prefer 2, but if anything there's a slight leaning towards 1, "widely".

I have to agree I love 2 but something always pushes me to like 1 jus a bit more and I am not sure what it is or why. Maybe its the absence of Brando's character even though he passed in part 1, when I picture godfather the whole as a series I see Brando in the dark lit room with swollen cheeks and a kitten on his lap, then michael killing the cop and gang member in the cafe

a916

I feel like some of those movies are just on there because people don't want to leave them out for fear of disrespecting the history of film making when in reality, some of those films don't hold up at all.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

Aselith

the problem with asking critics what are the best films possible is that they always chose older films that are viewed as "classic" or "immpecable" because they shape the taste and expectations of the critic in the first place. these movies are rated higher and viewed as greater than if they had released today where there is an immediate sneer towards most big blockbuster movies by certain critics and a rejection of more "profound" or art-like movies by others. Star Wars is on there but you wouldn't ever see Fury Road on one of these lists. Jaws rates but `71 doesn't. The Dark Knight barely rates at all, at 96.

I would make more comparisons but many of them do come down to personal preference, but the overall point still stands.

You should be happy that the Dark Knight got on the list at all. The reason the movies on there are old movies is because they have stood the test of time.

The fact that Dark Knight made the list over actual classics like Terminator 2 and Alien should be considered a miracle. How the fuck does that happen?

Z..

I feel like some of those movies are just on there because people don't want to leave them out for fear of disrespecting the history of film making when in reality, some of those films don't hold up at all.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I absolutely love it when people project their own shortcomings onto the film medium. Bland films are forgotten, poweful ones are remembered. Though they may be archaic in construction or primitive in their approach, these films have earned a name in the history books because they are powered by intemporal vision. You don't understand it because you have no respect for the art form and seek only entertainment, and thus, when disappointed because an old film didn't deliver something you expected and take for granted, you assume it doesn't hold up because your priorities are twisted. It's not even about age, either, I can imagine you'd react the same to any contemporary auteur like Zvyagintsev or Ceylan. You step into a world you are not equiped to understand and try to judge it using the wrong set of rules.

Do I assume too much?

Z.. pls

This isn't a list of a bunch of rudderless esoteric foreign art films from the '60s. They're mostly big fuckin' Hollywood productions, designed for mass entertainment.

Z..

Z.. pls

This isn't a list of a bunch of rudderless esoteric foreign art films from the '60s. They're mostly big fuckin' Hollywood productions, designed for mass entertainment.

I see Vertigo, 2001, Citizen Kane and Sunrise in the top 10 alone, with plenty of others peppered throughout the list and though they may not be foreign, they are most definitely art films. So that's not a fair assessment. There's plenty of both.

Some Like it Hot being top thirty pleases me greatly.

This might sound crazy, but I think Blazing Saddles is the greatest American comedy ever and should also have been top thirty by virtue of me thinking that it's even better a comedy than Some Like it Hot.

EDIT: Also thought There Will Be Blood, True Grit, and No Country for Old Men deserved spots, certainly before something like The Dark Knight, West Side Story, or Thelma and Louise.

Starting to wonder if Z is actually Costa-Gavras.

I think it's clear from his parenthetical that he means the latter.

I just . . . want to pretend that no one could like Movie 43.

I'm definitely surprised that the Coen's didn't make the list at all. I wonder if their sensibilities are just slightly too "off" for the critics in question?

marrec

Banned
I'm definitely surprised that the Coen's didn't make the list at all. I wonder if their sensibilities are just slightly too "off" for the critics in question?

It's odd because I've always felt that Coen brother's movies are all quintessentially American with a capital A. They drench often cynical farces in a blinding optimism that really defines American attitudes, especially pre 2008.

12 Angry Men, The Big Sleep, The Life Aquatic, Alien, The Sound of Music, Swing Time, No Country for Old Men, Fargo, should all be in the top 30, instead none made the list. No Coen brothers at all is weird (which I see others have noticed too).

I've seen Singin' in the Rain, Double Indemnity, and Wizard of Oz recently, and all of them are ranked way too high.

Wait a second, I've also just seen The Band Wagon. It is inconceivable to have that ranked ahead of Swing Time or even Top Hat. Terrible list.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Haha the ending isn't even obtuse, as you put it. Maybe tough to understand on a first watch, but the film has a pretty clear overarching narrative. Easily one of the best films of all time.

I've asked 5 people about what they thought happened at the end, and I got five different answers. That's obtuse.

Don't blame the movie for your ignorance. The film even opens with Zarathustra just to make sure you won't miss it. If you can't puzzle the rest yourself, this movie is clearly not for you.

:lol at my "ignorance." The ending is trash and the movie is beyond boring. It looks great. That's it.

It's technically a marvelous film that looks great even up against contemporary films.

The plot was a convoluted mess that presented a ham-fisted philosophical statement on the nature of science and man.

This I can agree with.

It's odd because I've always felt that Coen brother's movies are all quintessentially American with a capital A. They drench often cynical farces in a blinding optimism that really defines American attitudes, especially pre 2008.

That's what I'm thinking is their problem: Their films are a bit too American to be relatable at large?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm sure somebody somewhere has made an argument for Citizen Kane being a bad movie. Its just nobody has ever read it before.

My problem with it is that it's not bad at all - it's still a very good film.

My problem is that so many others since then have done so much better.

Maengun1

Wait a minute.... film critics tend to like older, safely "classic" films, while internet posters prefer newer, more action-oriented films???

*head explode gif*

Zeenbor

Critics are so caught up in the hubris of their film intellect.

Seeing Citizen Kane at #1 is so cliche. I don't care about the innovations it pioneered at the time -- I'm judging as a movie I'm watching. Boring. I feel asleep the second time.

Where is Gone with the Wind?

ShortBus

Critics are so caught up in the hubris of their film intellect.

Seeing Citizen Kane at #1 is so cliche. I don't care about the innovations it pioneered at the time -- I'm judging as a movie I'm watching. Boring. I feel asleep the second time.

Where is Gone with the Wind?

My problem with it is that it's not bad at all - it's still a very good film.

My problem is that so many others since then have done so much better.

At a certain point though, films are also regarded for their place in filmic history. I hope no one thinks Star Wars is on the list because it is one of the best movies ever. It's a good-to-great movie that has a pretty important context for cinema.

Aurongel

TIL: Movies are judged solely on how well they hold your attention.

These film list threads are a god damn chore. Every. Single. Time.

Bishop89

One movie in the 00's, 2 in the 90's, majority in the 40 -70s... Riiiigght....

Anyone want to take a bet that the majority of these critics are 100 years old?

Bowdz

Loling hard at putting Star Wars ANH on the list instead of ESB especially when the OP explicitly states thats it is not based on which films are deemed to be important. Empire Strikes Back is not only the greatest Star Wars film by a LARGE margin, but one of the best sci-fi/action films of all time.

Welp, guess all you can do is make your own list in comparison. I just made up a top 100 American films, with the main purpose is spreading the wealth. My main pet peeve with this list is how 10 directors own 41 spots. That's crazy. I mean fuckin' Marnie and Eyes Wide Shut, FOH. At MOST, I have guys like Scorsese and Allen with 3 each, and even then was pushing it.

Eyes Wide Shut is one of the 5 best films of one of the 4 or 5 best American directors.

Edit: If you fall asleep watching Citizen Kane, you are the problem. Overrated within the Welles canon, but a GREAT movie, period, and a ferociously entertaining one, to boot.

I've asked 5 people about what they thought happened at the end, and I got five different answers. That's obtuse

I think you mean ambiguous rather than obtuse. Just because the film is more about nonverbal storytelling doesn't mean it's dickishly withholding pertinent information. There's plenty that the film shows you that you can come up with a pretty good idea of what's going on in the ending.

Z..

:lol at my "ignorance." The ending is trash and the movie is beyond boring. It looks great. That's it.

Sure. Carry on believing your own shortsighted analysis. The ending is kubrick's answer to nietzsche's ubermensch. Like the monolith kickstarted the dawn of man, so too will this event kickstart mankind's renaissance. Ignorance is absolutely correct (and not meant as an insult) as the movie requires previous knowledge of Zarathursta to be understood. Because you are ignorant of such, you could not understand the film. It's peppered throughout with references, nods and symbolism that can only be understood and put into context if you understand what you're watching. It's one of the best endings ever, to call it trash because you could not understand it is silly.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Sweet, one handy list of movies I can ignore all in one spot.

You're gonna ignore Pulp Fiction?
Ckos4NH.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom