• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC Planet Dinosaur (Walking With Dinosaurs redux) + Dinosaur season on the BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Akira said:
Watching Dinosaur Revolution. Is Discovery for real? It's almost like a comedy show with dinosaurs doing slapstick.
It is silly. Seems like they're trying to make it humorous to keep kids interested, but what kid isn't fascinated with dinosaurs? The 3 stooges routine isn't necessary.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Also another dino doc on BBC Four at 9:00pm, part of the dinosaur season presented by the brilliant Tom Holland author of the great Rubicon: Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic and Persian Fire.

Carbonox

It was an underwhelming episode. Focused purely on Spinosaurus and Cacharodontosaurus. Throw in an Ouranosaurus and some fish and pterosaurs. All it showed was some stats and facts on the two carnivorous Dinos, as well as their territories and how they might clash.

Not a great start. They did show a fight between the two, though. :lol

Carbonox

Cow Mengde said:
Let me guess, they're using out dated 1997 info about Carcharodontosaurus being bigger than Tyrannosaurus didn't they?

Aye. I swear Carcharodontosaurus wasn't even mentioned in the same breath as Allosaurus years ago. At least when I was proper in to the studies of Dinos. It was all about Spinosaurus, T. Rex and Giganotosaurus competing for sizes. T. Rexes were also supposed to be around 14ish meters long, not 12.7 or whatever bullshit is being spouted now.

This new generation sucks. Gimme my 90's back.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Aye. I swear Carcharodontosaurus wasn't even mentioned in the same breath as Allosaurus years ago. At least when I was proper in to the studies of Dinos. It was all about Spinosaurus, T. Rex and Giganotosaurus competing for sizes. T. Rexes were also supposed to be around 14ish meters long, not 12.7 or whatever bullshit is being spouted now.

This new generation sucks. Gimme my 90's back.

Largest fully grown T.rex that we have fossil evidence for is around 14.4 meters.

Subliminal said:
The CGI was awful

Really? It looks great in the trailer.

Carbonox

Cow Mengde said:
Largest fully grown T.rex that we have fossil evidence for is around 14.4 meters.

Really? It looks great in the trailer.

Yup. Take that Planet Dinosaur.

Yeah, the CGI was bullshit. Up close shots of the Dinos look good but panned out the whole thing looks horrendous.

Ok, just saw it. Don't know what you guys were watching, but the CGI was spectacular. Not as good in some ways compared to DR, but also better in orders. The lighting is inferior since the entire thing was CGI, but the animation is much better. I do hate the Michael Bay camera work in some of the scenes. The eating scenes look much better than I thought.

The overall show was also a vast improvement over WWD. They actually try to backup their narrative by presenting fossil evidence. I don't mind when they back it up with something rather than just straight up bullshit their way through everything.

This is a Dinosaur Documentary.

I liked it. Originally felt it lacked the charm of Walking with Dinosaurs, but it did get better near the end. CGI was good for the most part, though sometimes felt a bit lacking. The fight scenes were incredibad.

Qwomo

Just watched this. Seemed a bit dry, and I felt like the narrator kept repeating himself, but overall it was a good watch. The science gui is hokey, but I appreciate that they're actually referencing fossil evidence. Can't wait to see more!

The CGI was really good, too!

Gigantoraptor was cool, but there was no real sense of size or weight to them when they moved. They looked about the size of turkeys.

Yeah, the biggest problem is the sense of weight and size for these animals. Seems like both Planet Dinosaur and Dinosaur Revolution overlap in the dinosaurs. They both featured Sinraptor and Gigantoraptor.

Qwomo

Just watched the second episode, and it was pretty neat. It's nice to be able to actually learn something from a dinosaur documentary for once.

iNvid02

watched both episodes today on the new TV (samsung d7000) and it looked really good in HD, cgi was neat and i felt as though i learned something. will end up watching all of these now

I saw a documentary the other day that had some old footage from Walking With Dinosaurs in it, and I thought that looked better.
It's partly because the dinos are superimposed onto real background footage rather than CGI landscapes, and partly down to the camerawork being more like a 'real' nature documentary rather than Michael Bay-style.

Finally saw the first couple of episodes from this and the Discovery Channel one. They're both pretty good.

The thing I don't like about Planet Dinosaur is that the posture of the dinosaurs never (or hardly) changes. They look very stiff. Real animals are like never in the same position 95-100% of the time. They twist around, crouch, peer over and into things. That said, I do prefer the more documentary style to the almost sitcom-y nature of Dinosaur Revolution.

I will say, though, that the animals in Dinosaur Revolution seem a lot less stiff. this is probably a function of making them characters and anthropomorphising them a bit. When the sexy lady Eoraptor showed up in the first episode, I almost choked on my tea.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Good finale and quite an accomplished series overall. It's not without its faults, but I enjoyed it, although I wasn't as enthralled as I was with Walking With Dinosaurs. I guess it was because I was younger and more impressionable back then.

Now onto Frozen Planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom