• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: The Chinese female gamers putting male players in the shade

In the world’s newest superpower, professional video gaming is a booming industry set to be worth billions. Female players struggle to earn as much as their male competitors – but that's not stopping one talented team of young women.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170911-the-pro-gaming-glass-ceiling-in-china

It’s late morning in the shadows of Shanghai. In a set of luxury apartments around 30km (19 miles) away from the lights of the city’s ever expanding skyline, the sound of construction work roaring through the apartment complex is barely enough to wake a group of six young women from their sleep in their shared flat.

These apartment-dwellers aren’t just roommates – they’re teammates. They’re members of LLG – one of China’s best female e-sports teams, and a highly skilled group of professional video game players.

It’s the morning after another long training session where they stayed up playing the online multi-player game League of Legends into the early hours of the morning.

They live in semi-luxury like b-list celebrities. They have thousands of followers online, large rooms, designer purses, bags and jewellery and it’s all paid for by playing computer games.

China boasts the largest internet population in the world: more than 731 million Chinese people are online, according to government officials in January. But until recently, many computer games were not available here. Between 2000 and 2015, console games were banned in China. Gaming was viewed as “digital heroin” by government officials. Yet today there are an estimated 170 million e-sports players and fans in the country.

p05fpyvz.jpg

Last year in China, the pro video gaming industry generated nearly a half billion dollars, and could be worth over $30 billion worldwide in a few years (Credit: Danny Vincent)

China makes up more than half of the global e-sports audience. More than 500 million people worldwide watch other people play video games. By some estimates the video game industry could be worth $35bn (£26.4bn) by 2021. And more people watch gaming in China than live in many European nations. For many e-athletes, it’s catapulted them into fame and fortune.

For many male e-athletes, anyway.

Some male players earn up to $2m (£1.5m) a year in prize money. Yet professional female gamers command more modest incomes.

“In the past when we played games in competitions, onlookers would say, these girls play really badly. They would mock us and say they should play and that we should get off the stage,” says Shan Chen, a 20-year-old team member, who sports dyed cropped hair and square framed glasses.

Shan Chen earned her stripes playing in internet cafes in her home town of Wuhan in central China. She would out-play young men who tried to stop female players from even entering the internet bars.

p05fpyhm.jpg

E-sports teams like LLG all live together under the same roof while they train for tournaments, in which players can win millions of dollars (Credit: Danny Vincent)

Now Chinese female gamers want professional leagues of their own. Male e-sports players have established leagues that guarantee them an income, yet women-only competitions are more sporadic and spread out through out the year.

Ding Ding is the only Korean player in the team and a star signing. She moved to China to pursue her dream of playing professionally.

“There are no female teams in Korea at the moment, but in China there are. It’s more organised here. I have improved a lot here,” she says. “But compared to male teams, it’s still not enough,” she adds.

Both Ding Ding and Shan Chen were keen athletes as school. Shan Chen was a competitive table tennis player growing up, while Ding Ding trained as a gymnast before suffering a knee injury. They treat e-sports with the same level of intensity as any other sport. They train seven hours a day and live, work and eat as part of a team.

“There’s still a long way to go if we wanted to get to a similar level with male teams,” says Ding Ding. She hopes that in the future men and women will be able to compete in the same side.

Members of LLG are funded by an e-sport enthusiast turned investor. Each member is paid between $1,200 and $2,200 a month (£908 to £1,664), which is more than double the earnings of an average Chinese university graduate. Many gamers also earn income through self broadcasting, presenting and streaming their games for online payment. Some argue that it encourages the mainly male audience members to focus on their looks rather than ability. Many women also face discrimination and harassment online.

“Men and women should be equal. I feel that girls can also play games well. They shouldn’t look at us with tainted glasses,” Shan Chen adds.

p05fpyrp.jpg

Compared to their male rivals, female players earn less in winnings, and also report feeling discriminated against or not being taken seriously (Credit: Danny Vincent)

LLG is part of China’s post-1990s generation. They have grown up in an era of rapid economic advancement. But in many ways, they grew up rebellious. Defying odds, they turned their hobbies into professions, dropping out of education to pursue a career in cyber-space. A generation earlier, they may have been seen as problem children.

But the life span of professional players in China is relatively short. The repetitive nature of the sport takes its toll on the athletes. Their gaming abilities rely on rapid hand movement and reaction times using the keyboard and mouse. Gamers usually compete for just four to five years before becoming injury-prone, which forces them into retirement.

For now though, LLG are continuing to pursue their dream of playing video games professionally – and they're not letting gender barriers stop them.

The article linked above also has a video.

I don't know anything about the skill of these female-only teams, but there's nothing stopping them from entering large official tournaments, is there? Don't see the need to establish female-only tournaments when they have the option to enter the already-established tournaments, provided they can qualify.

Is it an issue of being unable to find good scrims....?

The only esports I know literally anything about is Dota and a bit of smash 4 so forgive me for a bit of ignorance and please correct me if I'm mistaken at all

I_D

I'm sure there's tons of girls out there who can easily compete with the best guys.

I wouldn't want to show my face, though, if all I got was "tits or gtfo" every time I tried to play online.

I don't know anything about the skill of these female-only teams, but there's nothing stopping them from entering large official tournaments, is there? Don't see the need to establish female-only tournaments when they have the option to enter the already-established tournaments, provided they can qualify.

Is it an issue of being unable to find good scrims....?

The only esports I know literally anything about is Dota and a bit of smash 4 so forgive me for a bit of ignorance and please correct me if I'm mistaken at all

I dunno, a large tournament scene can be daunting, especially being a female who doesn't know what the scene is like. This is a good way to ease people in who are generally rarer than their male counterparts. Like, the FGC is pretty inclusive, but we've had female-only tournaments for Tekken and other games to showcase that anyone can play.

I actually think tournaments focused on groups is a great idea. The younger crowd, females, whatever.

“There’s still a long way to go if we wanted to get to a similar level with male teams,” says Ding Ding. She hopes that in the future men and women will be able to compete in the same side.

Is there any reason to have separate female and male leagues in e-sports?

Mash83

I'd love to see these girls kick some ass in esports. Hopefully they get the opportunity to compete in big events soon.

NoKisum

lol you don't want that either. Equal pay equal work, pedestals aren't needed.

Why wouldn't I want that? In the esports and FGC scenes I've witnessed, the female players are usually demeaned and ignored. I didn't realize begging for more positive representation was considered a bad thing.

I dont follow esports, but is there such a thing as mixed teams? Most teams seem to just be guys and when i do hear about female teams its also all-female. Are the leagues seperate by gender?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there any reason to have separate female and male leagues in e-sports?

It's about having teams to practice against. If you assume there are 16 teams with 5 players each, and men have been playing the game since 2007, it's unlikely many of the 80 people allowed to compete would be women.

If you have a women's league in addition to the regular league, they'll eventually be able to practice enough to have a shot of getting in there.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why wouldn't I want that? In the esports and FGC scenes I've witnessed, the female players are usually demeaned and ignored. I didn't realize begging for more positive representation was considered a bad thing.

Pedestal is commonly used when placing someone or something above others often without reason. They need raised up to a similar playing field, not put on a pedestal. Instead level the floor and raise the ceiling.

Doesn't putting something on a pedestal just mean to portray or perceive it in an unrealistically idealistic fashion?

Ashtar

Let's get these ladies on a pedestal, give them the limelight and finances they deserve.
I see what you meant with your second post but just from this it sounded condescending.
I could see the fact that women have been prevented from competing as a reason for women's league just so that they could have a welcoming place to hone their skills.

Doesn't putting something on a pedestal just mean to portray or perceive it in an unrealistically idealistic fashion?

Yeaaaahhh I get what he means, because I think angling tournaments towards women only in order to grow the gender numbers in the scene is fine, but glorifying them is part of the reason we are here, insofar that people treat them less like normal human beings and more like perfect angels in which to worship.

orochi91

Each member is paid between $1,200 and $2,200 a month (£908 to £1,664), which is more than double the earnings of an average Chinese university graduate.

That's actually incredible; didn't realize how (relatively) lucrative the professional gaming scene is in that part of the world.

Kite

I dont follow esports, but is there such a thing as mixed teams? Most teams seem to just be guys and when i do hear about female teams its also all-female. Are the leagues seperate by gender?
There are a few I know of, for Overwatch there is a retired former TF2 player named m4risa and an active Chinese Mercy main named 177 playing for Lucky Future. TF2 has a M->F trans player named Mercy who plays for one of the top teams.

I'd like to see more women competing professionally. If not a women's league (I don't see why a separation is necessary), I'd like to see a cultural shift that encourages more girls to take up serious, competitive play. I think culture is really the biggest obstacle stopping women from having a bigger presence in competitive gaming right now. I mean, why would a woman want to put in the dedication needed to become a pro at a game when so much of the game's community automatically hates her as soon as she talks on voice? Most wouldn't put up with that shit, and rightfully so.

I think people like Geguri from Overwatch are important because she's in a pro team and is treated like any other pro player. The more women get accepted into teams like normal teammates, the easier it'll be for other women to pick up the game and try to enter the scene without dealing with negative stigma.

I know in the FGC, women like Chocoblanka work hard to get more women involved. There's also Persia, a female commentator and Marvel/Skullgirls player, who starrted ComboQueens.

ironmang

Compared to their male rivals, female players earn less in winnings,

Well ya, because the best teams are typically male. The top female teams probably even earn more than their skill deserves since they have access to female only sponsorships, leagues, and tournaments whereas males of similar skill don't have such opportunities.

Top Bottom