• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bear thanks Salmon for a fine meal, picks teeth with Salmon bones

From The Wiimote reveal thread:

sonintendo.jpg

They nailed the timing at least :lol

Operations said:
The thing is, sonycowboy just refused to learn. He had already screwed up royally with his DS/PSP prediction.

I also had a quote somewhere where he said he would eat his hat or shoe or throw some kind of crazy fit if the PS3 didn't ship with an HDMI in the box at launch. One of the best things about this gen is the amount of crow that was served by many posters thinking that Sony would instantly be first and Nintendo would instantly be last.

These old threads (and the DS reveal and PS3 price reveal) are some of the best on GAF and should be stickied.

painful fart said:
Will be interesting to read his comments when the next generation Wii includes a camera in the user interface. :lol
Technically the current generation Wii includes a camera in the user interface.

You're just talking about camera position.

IAmtheFMan said:
Ya know, now that I've had some time to digest this thing, I seriously want to see what they do with this.

When I first saw this, I was thinking "how the hell am I gonna play "x" game on there? What about "y?" Then I started realizing that they games on the Rev, would be completely redefined for better or worse. This IS Nintendo thinking outside the box, and whether or not it works and succeeds is the big question.

There are a lot of comments so far like "say goodbye to third party ports, etc." I think that's EXACTLY what Nintendo wanted to do. Look at sales of 3rd party ports on the GC, as opposed to anywhere else... they're usually by far the worst, and are continuing to decline. I think they realized that if they just repeated the same stuff with beefed up graphics and a "gimmick," they'd be SOL in 5 years. They didn't want to make another Wavebird with a gyro control... they wanted something wholely unique, and in that sense, they succeeded.

Consider me intrigued.

Me... just saying ya know.

Dynamic3

If I was a motion-controller consumer I would want to buy the 'best' controller, not the first.

Do you people only buy Fords?

ShockingAlberto said:
Technically the current generation Wii includes a camera in the user interface.

You're just talking about camera position.

Yeah right! Maybe I am also talking about the quality of the pictures, maybe I am talking about a camera that registers colours visible to the human eyes. Small details it may seem, but some of us think they are quite important.

yurinka

I declare this is the thread of "oh I'm glad they ripped off my salmonerity report. They almost matched our head tracking skills."

salmonity-report.jpg

bdouble

Dynamic3 said:
If I was a motion-controller consumer I would want to buy the 'best' controller, not the first.

Thats like building a PC but waiting for the next big thing. Go for it but ya might be waiting a while. And in the end we are buying the games.

As of release years ago the Wii was the best and well it still is.

jrricky

Banned
Wow, Deku was right on:

One hand for the D-pad other hand for other buttons. It's basically a controller broken into two pieces.

Infinate combinations of controller configurations by simply switching around different controller accessories. One game may use a d-pad, another may use analog stick.

MS and Sony will be stealing this soon.

m3k

i thought gaf was getting dumber when i read the first page... so i skip to the last few pages and emcee gamer :lol made this thread entertaining

Willy105 said:
That shows that not only can gamers be completely wrong, it can be a total 180 of the final result!

I remember when this happened. It was a one and true megaton, and the general consensus was that it was the worst thing ever.

Then E3 came long....

This is GAF. I never forget.

Dynamic3

bdouble said:
Thats like building a PC but waiting for the next big thing. Go for it but ya might be waiting a while. And in the end we are buying the games.

As of release years ago the Wii was the best and well it still is.

I'm not passing judgement on which I think is the best, I'm just making the point that when all three are out, why not choose (what you think) is the best? Who cares who came first.

Obviously when there were only Fords, people only bought Fords, but in present day you have choices, and if you buy Fords simply because they were the first, then that's dumb. Just like I think buying a Wii next year simply because it was the first will be dumb.

Everyone is raving that Nintendo was 'first,' and I'm just saying why not choose the best (which could still be Nintendo).

Dynamic3 said:
I'm not passing judgement on which I think is the best, I'm just making the point that when all three are out, why not choose (what you think) is the best? Who cares who came first.

Obviously when there were only Fords, people only bought Fords, but in present day you have choices, and if you buy Fords simply because they were the first, then that's dumb. Just like I think buying a Wii next year simply because it was the first will be dumb.

Everyone is raving that Nintendo was 'first,' and I'm just saying why not choose the best (which could still be Nintendo).
It's, as always, entirely dependent on software.

yurinka

Dynamic3 said:

If they would want to buy the first, then they would need go to find something like this:
http://classicgames.about.com/od/consoleandhandheldgames/p/LeStickProfile.htm

I think people would like to purchase a Ferrari, but they can afford a Ford. And their friend has a Ford. And his father. And his neighbour. So even if they find a Ferrari affordable, they won't know how it really works, and they feel it's a safer bet to invest in a Ford.

I think it only will depend of the games (both hardcore and casual) and the marketing.

Dynamic3 said:

Sweet. The only thing better than old gaf threads is that new car analogy smell.

[edit]

yurinka said:
If they would want to buy the first, then they would need and look for something like this:
http://classicgames.about.com/od/consoleandhandheldgames/p/LeStickProfile.htm

I think people would like to purchase a Ferrari, but they can afford a Ford. And their friend has a Ford. And his father. And his neighbour. So even if they find a Ferrari afordable, they won't know how it really works, and they feel it's a safer bet to invest in a Ford.

I think it only will depend of the games (both hardcore and casual) and the marketing.

Oh, cool now we are explicitly ignoring the hardware/software split and the fact that hardware platforms are, well, platforms that rely on network effects. Love it.

Dynamic3

Jaded Alyx said:
It's, as always, entirely dependent on software.

Obviously software is included in the which is 'best' discussion. Who the fuck is going to argue over the quality of the button squishiness etc.?

Dynamic3 said:
Obviously software is included in the which is 'best' discussion. Who the fuck is going to argue over the quality of the button squishiness etc.?
Well you could have been speaking about accuracy or whatever.

Secondly, this is GAF. Button squishiness could very well be serious business.

jay

Dynamic3 said:

Why would these be mutually exclusive?

Dynamic3 said:

Last time I checked, Ford has been pretty damn awesome as of late.

jay

Salazar said:
The bit in brackets in his post allows that they might not be.

That's not what I mean. I can both think Nintendo popularized motion controls and also choose the best games (and whatever hardware goes with it).

He has created this strawman of someone who doesn't care about quality and only cares about who did it first and I think it's disingenuous, especially considering Move and Natal don't even exist yet so no one is even capable of not choosing to use them.

Dynamic3 said:

To be fair this entire thread is about who was first, since the original statement implied that Nintendo was. Arguing about which implementation is better in some empirical sense is kind of off-topic, and ultimately pointless until Natal and Move are released as you yourself indicated.

Dynamic3

jay said:
That's not what I mean. I can both think Nintendo popularized motion controls and also choose the best games (and whatever hardware goes with it).

He has created this strawman of someone who doesn't care about quality and only cares about who did it first and I think it's disingenuous, especially considering Move and Natal don't even exist yet so no one is even capable of not choosing to use them.

I said that it's entirely possible that Nintendo could be both the first and the best.

And the very existence of this thread makes that 'strawman' living and breathing.

jay

Dynamic3 said:
I said that it's entirely possible that Nintendo could be both the first and the best.

And the very existence of this thread makes that 'strawman' living and breathing.

Yes, I understand that you think they can be first and best, I think you missed my point.

Did you also miss that people are discussing dates as a reaction to posters calling Miyamoto an arrogant asshole? Anyone who is actually arguing what you seem to think people are arguing, that the Wii must be better because it was first, may be an idiot. Now people did argue that Nintendo is ballsy, innovative, and so on but that does not mean Natal and Move can't have good games and most reasonable people will gravitate anywhere good games can be found.

Dynamic3

jay said:
Yes, I understand that you think they can be first and best, I think you missed my point.

Did you also miss that people are discussing dates as a reaction to posters calling Miyamoto an arrogant asshole? Anyone who is actually arguing what you seem to think people are arguing, that the Wii must be better because it was first, may be an idiot. Now people did argue that Nintendo is ballsy, innovative, and so on but that does not mean Natal and Move can't have good games and most reasonable people will gravitate anywhere good games can be found.

Well I'm not sure why we are arguing then if we agree. :)

justchris

jim-jam bongs said:
To be fair this entire thread is about who was first, since the original statement implied that Nintendo was. Arguing about which implementation is better in some empirical sense is kind of off-topic, and ultimately pointless until Natal and Move are released as you yourself indicated.

Yeah, see, but I don't think that implication was intentional. Again, it's really unnatural to specify a point case when responding to an interview question, unless you are a PR person, which Miyamoto really isn't. He just gave the answer that got across his point, which is that he's glad that Sony and Microsoft are going in the same direction as Nintendo. I highly doubt, if specifically asked, he would claim that Nintendo "created" motion control. But they did originate it in this console cycle.

hamchan

Anyone else find it funny in threads like these that there are eventually more people saying "Oh GAF, fanboys never cease to amaze me, etc" than actual fanboys?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Operations said:
The thing is, sonycowboy just refused to learn. He had already screwed up royally with his DS/PSP prediction.

What a lame-o. :lol

timetokill said:
From The Wiimote reveal thread:

sonintendo.jpg

They nailed the timing at least :lol

:lol :lol

Top Bottom