• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

Wish I knew why Konami are sleeping on the franchise outside of arcades.

There's nowhere else for the series to go. Consoles are no longer popular enough in Japan - the last Bemani release for a dedicated gaming system was pop'n portable 2... on PSP. The only existing IIDX controllers Konami have produced work only on the PlayStation 2 - a new console release now would mean brand new controllers would need to be released, which suffice it to say is a risky proposition to support something that barely broke even in the first place.

cj_iwakura

There's nowhere else for the series to go. Consoles are no longer popular enough in Japan - the last Bemani release for a dedicated gaming system was pop'n portable 2... on PSP. The only existing IIDX controllers Konami have produced work only on the PlayStation 2 - a new console release now would mean brand new controllers would need to be released, which suffice it to say is a risky proposition to support something that barely broke even in the first place.

It couldn't hurt to try a PSN release, possibly with a limited edition PS3 variant of the controller.

Not like Konami has lots of other franchises to lean on. Just seems like they're throwing money away to completely ignore the IIDX community. It's niche, but they spend.

It couldn't hurt to try a PSN release, possibly with a limited edition PS3 variant of the controller.

Not like Konami has lots of other franchises to lean on. Just seems like they're throwing money away to completely ignore the IIDX community. It's niche, but they spend.

That stuff is not free, or even cheap. Sounds like a guaranteed loss considering the core Japanese community never stopped playing at game centers, even when console releases existed.

Kumubou

I really don't think they are -- a home release of IIDX makes no sense in this market now. How would they sell the controllers? How many should they make? Who would make them? How badly would CS sales cut in to coin drop rates? (Probably not much at all, as players can already use simfiles and "other" methods to simulate the game.) There are a lot of questions to address and while all of them could be handled, why would they bother -- it's almost certainly not worth it. Maybe as a one-off release to squeeze the last set of cash once the series dies off. I always get the feeling Konami has wanted to drop IIDX for a while (given how expensive the songs and movies are to produce, and the production direction they've gone in their other games), but they can't justify it due to it's player base.

Don't forget that they have been porting some of their games outside of the arcade -- to mobile. Reflec Beat, jubeat, Pop'n and GitaDora all have iOS/Android releases (of wildly varying quality), and they probably could do Sound Voltex and Beatstream too if they wanted to.

Seems like they're playing a lot of the same stuff. Are these sight reads? Not sure how long it's been available.

You can tell if the account has played the song pretty easily by checking the clear lamp before they pick the song, or mid-song if they have the pacemaker meters up. It's been a few hours, and a lot of plays on the stream have been sight reads.

Yeah, saw the 8th dan list posted somewhere already.

Welp someone just got 10 minutes of premium free time to watch a whole bunch of ex hard grinding

Dark clear 8-dan

MXkx0LU.gif

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I finally decided to get LR2 running properly thanks to this thread and the release of Pendual... turns out all this stuff I bought for fighting games + ASIO drivers makes for a pretty good experience! Gave the score attack another shot with this setup:

I foresee myself playing a lot more IIDX now that I have access to all these songs without having to dig out various styles... this is bad since I just got a bunch of new games I should be playing instead, heh.

EDIT: Haven't had the chance to listen to much of the new songs, but Line 4 Ruin is awesome: http://youtu.be/pLjpxRlsjwU

(I hope this is the Ryu* song you were talking about, CJ. 'Cause damn it is good. :p)

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Well, since we were just talking about him... let's give Ryu* some love!

Week 3(?) Score Challenge: September 21-27

Second Heaven | Ryu☆ | HANDZ UP

Normal: 5 | Hyper: 8 | Another: 11 || BPM: 149

Normal chart again, but if you wanna try the [H] or [A] go for it. The song's also available on the Premium Best disc.

Aizo

Banned
I always see crazy players in the arcade playing doubles, and tried it out for the first time about a week and a half ago. It is so hard... It must cost so much to get good.

Yuuichi

I always see crazy players in the arcade playing doubles, and tried it out for the first time about a week and a half ago. It is so hard... It must cost so much to get good.

Fuck doubles. I just can't, it's actually too many notes for me to think about.

Here's my first sightread of the chart, tried upping my high speed and it seems to be helping.

My advice for getting better is something that I picked up from watching a lot of play on youtube. I used to use progressively higher speeds, but recently I've been using sudden+ to cut the playfield in about half while trying to maintain a speed of about 300 (number only relevant to newer AC builds, equivalent to roughly 180 BPM @ 2.00 High Speed with half the screen covered). It's really helped my ability to see and play patterns as I transition from 10 to 11.

Also, anyone have any experience with the SDVX CXM controller? I'm thinking about getting one and they seem pretty decent, just waiting on some circumstances to decide exactly when or if I should get one.

I know where I'm headed later tonight! Will report in later.

Side note, my second score entry for the week:

Time to try the hyper chart!

I've been following this thread, but I haven't played in ages :( I did get to play a bit of Spada when I went up to Austin for Classic Game Fest, and I'm horribly out of practice. Not that it means anything, I was never able to get past my plateau of 7 stars, and the game has evolved so much since 8th Style :(

Time to switch my icon back to my favorite DJ girl Lilith <3

5amshift

Banned
I don't think there's been a IIDX cab in SoFla since Boca lost their Empress cabinet.

I planned on moving to Florida in a few years and was going to bring one down and put it somewhere. But I don't know if that's happening anymore.

Also, cj, it's been awhile since I've seen your name around the Bemani community! :)

Yuuichi

I would be all for adding a location database to the OP if people want to share local cabinet locations.

Sounds like you need help friend! (Pick Beatmania as a series and go to town. It's not 100% up to date or correct, but it's the best out there, trust me.)

Oh boy, Arcade UFO in Austin got IIDX Pendual. Gotta make my way up there soon.

Fucking jealous. I'm up in the middle of Cali for school, but there's no bemani within like 200 square miles of me, and I've only been here two weeks and it's already driving me crazy.

Edit: fuck formatting (T&#1076;T)

Top Bottom