• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beautiful Desolation - Far-future Africa isometric adventure from creators of STASIS

www.desolationgame.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IkbdiJCrwo

Set in a distant future in an evocative African landscape...
He is not from this place or time...

Several years ago we had an idea for an adventure story set in a post-apocalyptic world. During our brain storming sessions, we kept circling back to a particular story. It was pushed to the sidelines while the STASIS story blossomed. But now that we want to do something different outside the STASIS universe, and still create an experience that fits into our niche of point-and-click, isomeric adventure games.

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION will push our game design and graphic production further, and it's a process that we want you to be a part of yet again.

Herds of strange creatures roam the world of Desolation
693aCpU.gif

Finding shelter from a raging thunderstorm.
2QPKcML.gif

dFPsDnd.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It looks gorgeous, and I like how The Brotherhood Games surprise announced this and CAYNE at the same time. They're very talented, and I'm quite happy STASIS did well enough for them that they can make more games. STASIS isn't brought up enough in general, but happy it worked out that they could get the chance to make more without crowdfunding, they've definitely proven their ability.

Looks incredible, but what is the genre? What is the gameplay loop like?

edit:
I guess isometric puzzler reading from the OP?

mcz117chief

The giraffe gif looks pretty bad imo, it is obviously just one giraffe copy pasted multiple times. I will keep an eye out for the game though.

golem

Looks interesting. Africa is a pretty underutilized setting, lots of cool possibilities there. The last game I can remember playing being set in a similar setting was Quest for Glory 3 in fact..

Looks interesting. Africa is a pretty underutilized setting, lots of cool possibilities there. The last game I can remember playing being set in a similar setting was Quest for Glory 3 in fact..
Yeah, between Aurion and this, it's really cool to see that setting being used in interesting imaginative ways

Given how gorgeous and atmospheric STASIS was, I'm excited to see what they do with a less confined world

Oh, well it looks gorgeous regardless, and STASIS was good (if underlooked a bit), so I'll be there as well.
Yeah, that also ran their KS really well, and did a lot of informative updates and looks behind the scenes.

Wonder if there will be a demo like Stadis had

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Read about this on the Kickstarter update earlier today. Loved STASIS and really looking forward to CAYNE, so whenever the Kickstarter comes around, I'm all in. Also, Chris Bischoff seems like a genuinely good dude from the few times I've talked to him on Twitter.

Read about this on the Kickstarter update earlier today. Loved STASIS and really looking forward to CAYNE, so whenever the Kickstarter comes around, I'm all in. Also, Chris Bischoff seems like a genuinely good dude from the few times I've talked to him on Twitter.

You must have caught me on a good day...pretty sure Im a miserable old man like 90% of the time. :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I want to beg for PS4 versions... but regardless, I'm hopeful I can get to Stasis when the new MacBook Pros come out this fall and I can update my laptop and play that. This looks pretty cool, too.

Thanks for starting the thread!
UUUUUUUUUUUUuum - Im really not sure. We have a few things to get through before we launch it - namely getting Cayne out to the public. We are in the final polish stages (although I have 1 more major cinematic to finish up), but its so hard to say how long this stage will take. We are still confident of a 2016 launch with all of our plans sort of revolving around that.
Luckily because we are completely independent we can make sure that Cayne will only launch when WE are happy with it, and Desolation will come forth into the world when its ripe for the picking! But itll be sooner rather than later - we cant let all this good will go to waste!

I want to beg for PS4 versions... but regardless, I'm hopeful I can get to Stasis when the new MacBook Pros come out this fall and I can update my laptop and play that. This looks pretty cool, too.

Stasis wont be released on consoles - its just not designed for them, and would require a fully redone game to be done properly.
We are working on the mobile version tho - so keep a weathered eye for that!

Cayne is being done in Unity - so the possibility of a port isn't completely crazy, but we would have to have a proper look at what that would entail. We are a tiny studio (2 of us!), so even small things take a lot of time!

That is an extremely apt name. I love the look of the game. Signed up for the newsletter. If the rest of the game keeps up that aesthetic I will buy this just for the ambient art alone. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stasis wont be released on consoles - its just not designed for them, and would require a fully redone game to be done properly.

Cayne is being done in Unity - so the possibility of a port isn't completely crazy, but we would have to have a proper look at what that would entail. We are a tiny studio (2 of us!), so even small things take a lot of time!
Oh no problem, I pretty much assumed it wasn't in the cards for reasons like those. I'll be able to justify upgrading my old laptop this fall, so I'm sure I can dive in at that point, or mobile would be feasible too. Maybe catch up on some other computer-exclusive titles I've missed out on as well.

Intriguing reply when asked if the game will be like Stasis or like an isometric RPG ala Fallout
It's definitely closer to Stasis - but we do have some new gameplay elements that we are experimenting with! But it's still going to be an adventure game at its core!
Having to say it'll still be an adventure game at its core implies those new elements might be pretty genre-shifting IMO

Pachimari

Woah, STASIS is coming for mobile? Mind blown, and legit happy about this. Do you have a time frame for when it might hit? I can imagine it'll be after Cayne's release and before Beautiful Desolation?

Afro

YES. After finishing Stasis I wanted that same beautiful detailed isometric art style in a post-apocalyptic setting.

JP

Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic, not heard of it before. It also really gives me the creeps. Disappointed that it's not coming to PS4 though, not for me I suppose. :(

golem

I have to admit I have no idea what STASIS is. That screen shot makes it look like a scifi Crusader No Remorse? Need to investigate further :)

I was interested in playing it, but I heard the story kinda goes off the rails near the end. Do you agree?
I dd feel the ending was kind of anticlimatic and a bit confusing, but the overall game was great. Very atmospheric, creepy, bleak, with some great lore and world-building, and dark disturbing moments. And at least one moment that rivals Dead Space 2's eye-needle in terms of wince-inducing body horror. There's a lot of body horror and fucked-up gore

JP

I know it's really not the same but I'm getting a real feeing of the old Commando games from these screenshots.

Woah, STASIS is coming for mobile? Mind blown, and legit happy about this. Do you have a time frame for when it might hit? I can imagine it'll be after Cayne's release and before Beautiful Desolation?

Its currently still being tested and getting the kinks sorted out, but AFAIK it seems to be coming along solidly. We will more than likely release it after Cayne and our next campaign to ensure that it gets enough thorough testing and attention by us on release.
It can be tempting to throw stuff into the wild, but we always want to make sure we provide the best support for all titles on all platforms. When people report bugs or issues its either myself or Nic (usually Nic!) who helps with the issues! This does limit us as to just how many 'new' things we can have on the table at the same time - but I think its a good trade off.

But the mobile version will be sooner rather than later. We havent done a mobile release before, so it will be a learning experience for us - but one Im quite excited to be a part of!

PittaGAF

Can't wait to play Stasis on my iPad (even if I already did a bit, streaming it :) ).

Also, I would totally buy that Commandos game, loved them in the past.
The world need more isometric games.

Desolation looks SO BEAUTIFUL already.
Also, as we are throwing ideas....I wouldn't mind a Blade Runner isometric adventure :)

Its currently still being tested and getting the kinks sorted out, but AFAIK it seems to be coming along solidly. We will more than likely release it after Cayne and our next campaign to ensure that it gets enough thorough testing and attention by us on release.
It can be tempting to throw stuff into the wild, but we always want to make sure we provide the best support for all titles on all platforms. When people report bugs or issues its either myself or Nic (usually Nic!) who helps with the issues! This does limit us as to just how many 'new' things we can have on the table at the same time - but I think its a good trade off.

But the mobile version will be sooner rather than later. We havent done a mobile release before, so it will be a learning experience for us - but one Im quite excited to be a part of!

Commandos is an all time favorite! I did this piece of fan art a while back:

nw9hrMO.jpg

wyr0FkM.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

when you say mobile, do you mean iPhones as well or just tablets?

PittaGAF

Just tablets - the graphics are a little too small for phones! And the game is waaaaaaaaay too graphically intensive!

Please to whoever is doing the port, say them to hurry up :)

Just launched Stasis again...but I refuse to continue playing it on PC (where I never play games now).

Chris, can you say anything more on this new gameplay concepts that were being designed for this? The comment on Reddit makes it sound like they would expand beyond the scope of the adventure game genre

That you had say it would still be an adventure game at its core rather than it's definitely an adventure game seems to imply that those new mechanics mght be pretty ambitious.

Chris, can you say anything more on this new gameplay concepts that were being designed for this? The comment on Reddit makes it sound like they would expand beyond the scope of the adventure game genre

That you had say it would still be an adventure game at its core rather than it's definitely an adventure game seems to imply that those new mechanics mght be pretty ambitious.

Id love to expand on that....but itll be best to wait until the crowdfunding campaign to show off what we have in store!
I will say that exploration is a big part of Desolation, and we are going to be pulling away from the more traditional linear path of adventure games.

Top Bottom