• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been replaying MGSV lately... Man, it's so good! (Also: Your favorite weapons?)

Neiteio

Just wanted to chime in and say how much I've been enjoying MGSV lately. I got back into it after replaying Ground Zeroes, which led to me reinstalling The Phantom Pain.

I played TPP religiously last September — even enjoyed its loose story structure and slice-of-life pacing, and gleaned a lot of meaning from its tale — but in the months that followed, the Internet knocked it down a peg or two in my mind. Revisiting it now, however, it really is an amazing game.

It simply feels fantastic. Not just the movement and controls, which I swear by as having the best "game feel" of any realistic-looking third-person game, but also the atmosphere — from the sweeping vistas of Afghanistan and Africa, to the contemplative mood of Mother Base and the AAC. The lighting and materials make each landscape feel so concrete, evocative and real.

And then the connection between my character and the landscape is anchored by the power and precision of his movement. It just feels good to navigate these environments — briskly crouch-walking while reloading a tranq pistol, or segueing from a sprint to a dive to a crawl, or lunging out to grab someone and drag them behind cover, or carrying and throwing bodies like a sack of potatoes. The satisfying *POP* when you line up the perfect headshot in reflex mode, or the hiss of a sleep grenade lobbed overhead, and guards collapsing to the ground in a heap of ZZZs... It's all so good!

I find myself perusing the side ops list and taking every "prisoner extraction" or "extract the highly skilled soldier" mission I can find. They seem to renew themselves, which is good, since I don't think I'll ever tire of them.

Usually I'm nonlethal, but occasionally I'll go Rambo on their asses. The open-world format is perfect for a stealth game like this. Some criticized MGSV for its lack of GTA-style random events, but I feel this design choice is actually perfect for a game like this where planning the right approach is key. Being able to slip in and out of each base to reset your strategy makes MGSV much more enjoyable than past stealth titles. I just love the whole process of staking out a location, scouting troops from afar, plotting the right approach and then slowly working your way toward the target.

Part of that enjoyment comes from the various systems at play. There are many variables that determine whether you'll be spotted — stance, cover, camouflage, proximity, pacing, light, shadow — and you can control these variables in a variety of ways, by misdirecting enemies with decoys, remote bombs and other distractions, or keeping them in the dark by disrupting their communications chain... or more literally, by systematically shooting out lights from afar with a silenced rifle. I still feel like I've barely scratched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exploiting the enemy's AI, using my arsenal of gizmos and gadgets (and vehicles, buddies and support services) to manipulate all of the systems at play. I'm simply astounded by the attention to detail in this game... Detail that is rigorously gameplay-driven.

So yeah — I've been thoroughly enjoying my return to MGSV. :)

BONUS QUESTION: What are your favorite weapons to use? There are simply so many of them! I'm trying to develop everything, but I don't know what to actually use. MGSV nails the feeling of firearms and provides a lot of variety on that front. It's a bit overwhelming, so I'm open to recommendations.

GametimeUK

I need to play this game again. Absolutely incredible experience. It more than made up for snooze fest that was MGS4. My favourite weapons are mainly the gadgets. I love smoke grenadine tanks, running past the guards, excrracting the tank and getting out of there again unseen. Cardboard box is awesome and Decoys are fun too. A silenced sniper rifle helps and D Dog is my favourite companion.

I'm so happy with MGS5 it's unreal. I'm just glad it gave me the creative tools to be sneaky again instead of forcing action in my fave constantly like MGS4.

http://youtu.be/6AbZjNfbcuk

A link to my short MGS5 clip. Box shenanigans.

Tapejara

MGSV is so good. My favourite weapon is honestly the tranq pistol. So satisfying lining up a headshot from long range and pulling it off.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My favorite weapon was my custom built patriot replica.

332C412EDBE944F076BC5C26AF04749894B05609

Stupidly inaccurate but up close it just obliterated almost everything.

The gameplay, the mission options, the variety of weapons and gadgets in mgsv are insane. I got it day one and still play it regularly. My favorite weapon is probably the silenced stun sniper, forgot the actual name.

mnemonicj

Aye, the game is amazing. I never understood the hate the game got, but to each his own.

I also started playing the game again lately, after beating it 3 times that is, and it is so much fun. I am trying to get all the NL weapons, but these seem so scarce. I always have my MK.22 and NL sniper rifle. I recently unlocked an automatic NL sniper rifle, can't remember it's name though.

Big Wazu

I still go back and play this often myself. Like you said, the gameplay systems/mechanics feel so good and everything runs very smoothly, which is something I greatly appreciate. I always loved the attention to detail in the Metal Gear Solid games and this is one is no exception. It isn't my favorite in terms of story, but I was satisfied with the story we got. I'd go as far to say it's easily one of my favorite games of all time and the gameplay is the best I've ever played.

I don't really have a favorite weapon, but I usually like to roll with the default rifle or shotgun, tranquilizer pistol and a tranquilizer sniper rifle.

The Brennan sniper and it's variants. Giving that to quiet is just too much though.
Also that grenade launcher sidearm, saved my hide many times.
Not finished though since I took a break from the game but when I get back Im gonna try and farm female soldiers for a women only mother base (Is this even possible?)

robotrock

Banned
MGSV really is amazing. I haven't actually revisited it though after spending a significant amount of time with it last September.

OP, do you notice anything different about it? I had heard they made some changes to how some of the resources stuff worked after release.

Arttemis

I'm torn. If you want to unlock the higher tier items, you absolutely have to treat the game as a kind of Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all, tranq head-shot and extract everyone kind of game.

And that sucks.

But, if you open an already-completed save and repeat the missions, you can go about using all the lethal weapons, with so many gadgets at your disposal.

And that's fun.

Basically, I wish the research and mother base expansion didn't require (literally) thousands of fultoned personnel and (literally) days worth of upgrades. No more than 150 total to max the game, with only a minority of personal you ever encounter ever being viable... Or, quite frankly, remove the staff acquisition element completely, and focus on building ties with a predetermined military force. The game could have been infinitely more fun and fully replayable if you could approach the game with all options legitimately at your disposal, without developing a necessary phobia of killing any enemies because they could be the tipping point for a rank 79 medical bay.

The way it is now, I have no favorite weapons, because I'm punished for using anything other than a tranq. gun.

JayEH

Been having an itch to play it again but I want to wait a bit since I put in around 300 hours between sept and January. Just controls so well and there's an infinite amount of ways to complete a mission. I'm kinda boring when it comes to weapons. Just like the standard tranq pistol and I'll customize the standard assault rifle a bit but that's about it. Will occasionally bring a sniper or rocket launcher mission dependent.

poodpick

I love doing missions with the default rifle and handgun (non-tranq) with silencers equipped and upgraded to max level. I remove all of the attachments so they look like the cutscene models and it makes missions way more tense because I still extract soldiers.

Javin98

Banned
I still play it every once in a while. Just going around the maps doing side ops and sometimes replaying a mission. The gameplay is just sublime and the responsiveness of character movement is second to none. I just hope more people would stop calling the "open world" empty and barren. The more people realize it's not the typical open world game, the better. It's open world in the sense that players can roam around and do side ops as they wish, but it's not the open world where you have shitload of collectibles, random NPC events and places to explore. It's basically an evolution of the open ended design Crysis had. I honestly wish more games adopted this approach. As much as I love Uncharted 4, I wish the map design was more MGSV's. Sure, it's much more open than previous games', but I still feel like there isn't enough freedom.

Anyway, I don't use it too often, since I prefer a stealth approach, but one of my favorites would be the Bullpup shotgun. A non lethal favorite would be the M2000 NL.

Game needed more OSP missions. That one late game mission felt super refreshing.

I liked the G44 Assault Rifle. This weird AUG-G11-FAMAS hybrid thing spoke to me:

gHpc8f5.jpg

Zambatoh

I think my favorite weapon is probably the Bambatov sniper rifle. You can customize it to an almost insane degree.

Alternatively there's also that one SMG you can custom tailor into an mini assault rifle for your pistol slot.

Neiteio

OP, do you notice anything different about it? I had heard they made some changes to how some of the resources stuff worked after release.
Yeah, when I reinstalled the game and started playing, they showered me with free stuff!

They added this new "Challenge List" with what must be hundreds (maybe thousands?) of in-game challenges — like "collect this resource, X number of times," or "defeat this enemy, Y number of times." And each gives you in-game rewards, such as S-rank soldiers, resources, GMP, etc. And the game knows what you've already done (before the Challenge List was added), so I had tons of prizes to claim... It took me a few minutes to claim them all. My Mother Base divisions leveled up multiple times!

There are also rewards now for "virtual league" battles with other players' FOBs — simulated battles that occur automatically on a regular basis behind the scenes. These don't risk any of your resources, either. You simply increase your chances of winning by equipping your FOB with better security, and leave the rest to luck. There are in-game prizes to claim for these, too, so I check in every now and then to see what's available.

Best as I can tell, the changes are all good. You may have dozens of top-tier soldiers waiting for you to claim them, as well as loads of free resources and GMP. :)

Such an incredible game. Haven't played since beating it October 5 (yes I remember the exact date)

Fav weapon is the riot smg. Perfect for non-lethal play. My other weapon was a sniper, don't remember which one. That was was lethal. That was a perfect combo that I never changed up once I discovered it

I still go back and play this often myself. Like you said, the gameplay systems/mechanics feel so good and everything runs very smoothly, which is something I greatly appreciate. I always loved the attention to detail in the Metal Gear Solid games and this is one is no exception. It isn't my favorite in terms of story, but I was satisfied with the story we got. I'd go as far to say it's easily one of my favorite games of all time and the gameplay is the best I've ever played.

I don't really have a favorite weapon, but I usually like to roll with the default rifle or shotgun, tranquilizer pistol and a tranquilizer sniper rifle.

I've heard people say this about MGSV but I'm genuinely confused as to what details people are talking about.

Like, if it was MGS3 we were talking about I'd get it; stomach growling, hands shaking from being hungry, purging poison from your body by puking...the list goes on and on.

I'm just sincerely asking if I've missed any details on that level in MGSV.

Riposte

One of the Wu S333 (revolver) derivatives, can't recall which I preferred off the top of my head.

I've been thinking about what mods would be best to replay this. Won't be doing that for awhile though.

Neiteio

I've heard people say this about MGSV but I'm genuinely confused as to what details people are talking about.

Like, if it was MGS3 we were talking about I'd get it; stomach growling, hands shaking from being hungry, purging poison from your body by puking...the list goes on and on.

This massive thread about the details in MGSV should be an eye-opening experience for you.

Vlaphor

My favorite weapon was "Hey Quiet, take out these guys please." (silenced sniper noises) "Thanks for that, I'm just gonna go peruse the unconscious soldiers, fulton the ones I want to keep and ignore the rest."

Quiet did kind of break the game once she got powerful enough, still, she was the best part of MGSV

Zambatoh

One of the Wu S333 (revolver) derivatives, can't recall which I preferred off the top of my head.

I've been thinking about what mods would be best to replay this.
Won't be doing that for awhile though.
Infinite Heaven is a pretty significant game changer.

lawnchair

Banned
i beat this game and i never designed a custom weapon like you guys are posting in here. how do you do that? what'd i miss?

CaptNink

I really love this game. I usually hate stealth in games, but MGSV does it so right! Easily one of my favourite games of all time. I really need to get back into after I finish up the Witcher 3.

If you didn't mind making mistakes while you played the game (no restarts to get a higher rank), you didn't really need random GTA like events imo.

I can't recall how many times I went into a base going all stealth and one miscalculation triggered a series of events that would rival most action games set pieces.

Going all Rambo is fun, but going all Rambo while still trying to capture a target, or trying to use your wits and items to redirect the attention so you can resume your stealth or hijack a vehicle, created a lot of unique and fun situations/opportunities.

Neiteio

My favorite weapon was "Hey Quiet, take out these guys please." (silenced sniper noises) "Thanks for that, I'm just gonna go peruse the unconscious soldiers, fulton the ones I want to keep and ignore the rest."

Quiet did kind of break the game once she got powerful enough, still, she was the best part of MGSV
Quiet is so OP that I usually just stick to D-Horse or D-Dog these days. But I don't want to lose the option to use her, so on my current file I keep the Butterfly emblem equipped.

I did beat Mission 45 ("A Quiet Exit"), but I deleted the file afterward and went back to an old save so I could keep her!

I remember hearing that they updated the game so Quiet can come back after she leaves. Is this true, or was that just a "Mew under the truck"-style rumor?

Kindekuma

Banned
i beat this game and i never designed a custom weapon like you guys are posting in here. how do you do that? what'd i miss?

You need to do the legendary gunsmith side ops, then under the customize tab in the iDroid in the ACC you can customize weapons.

Spacejaws

Well three I can think of in that regard is the persistant blood, flies if you dont freshen up in mother base, quiet's body language changes as affection changes and your 'horn' gets bigger the more bloodthirsty your playthrough is. Thats pretty cool.

Tapejara

Quiet is so OP that I usually just stick to D-Horse or D-Dog these days. But I don't want to lose the option to use her, so on my current file I keep the Butterfly emblem equipped.

I did beat Mission 45 ("A Quiet Exit"), but I deleted the file afterward and went back to an old save so I could keep her!

I remember hearing that they updated the game so Quiet can come back after she leaves. Is this true, or was that just a "Mew under the truck"-style rumor?

It's true. You need to replay the boss fight against her 8 times.

Edit: http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-patch-allows-players-to-recruit-an-o-1741707623

Jawmuncher

The story is where the game get's so much flak. Though it kind of deserves it. However I feel like not enough people give credit to it's setting and atmosphere which I think it nails magnificently. While it might not be the best crafted story, it's by far the MGS I enjoyed being in it's world the most. MGSV reminds me a lot of RE6 in that had they just went about trimming some things here and there and restructuring a few things it would have stood out as a better game in a lot of people's eyes.

Anyway I usually just stuck with the carbine and supp, so standard but it's so satisfying to snipe with it instead of an actual sniper.

Javin98

Banned

Not at all. When you're near the end of the game or post ending, almost every enemy wears helmets. Unless you're using her most powerful sniper rifle, enemies will detect her position and shoot at her. And that particular rifle cannot be silenced, so the whole base will be aware of her position. Also, if you plan to extract those soldiers, this rifle would be completely useless as it's lethal.

Now that you bring up Quiet, it reminds me of a funny moment that happened when I was playing the game last weekend. I asked her to scout Da Ghwandai Khar, but for some reason she simply skipped that and I got spotted by enemies because she didn't mark them. Then I got mad at Quiet for a while. :p

It's true. I immediately went back to replay Mission 11 7 times to get Quiet back after she left. Can't imagine how so many of you guys went on without Quiet for months. :p

Neiteio

It's true. You need to replay the boss fight against her 8 times.

Edit: http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-patch-allows-players-to-recruit-an-o-1741707623
Yeah, I was just reading about it on IGN. It appears the only downside to bringing back Quiet is that each subsequent replay of Mission 11 will earn you less GMP — to the point where the mission will actually cost you millions of GMP if you also use the helicopter and Fulton drop trick. But that's easy enough to avoid, and the challenge variant of Mission 11 is more exciting anyways.

AmyS

MGSV is amazing and it easily has best gameplay of any Metal Gear / MGS game. I haven't even scratched the surface yet, let alone made it to Africa.

Quiet's great if you're not planning on taking anybody back and want to go loud. Otherwise, I usually went with DD.

I remember working my way up to this guy I really wanted. High rank and a good set of skills. I grabbed him, and Quiet shot the guy in my arms. Damn you, Quiet.

Vlaphor

What's kind of funny about that was since she did most of the work, I made the base emblem a butterfly as a way to say, "Snake gets the credit, but Quiet does most of the actual groundwork", and that mission never showed up, because this was before widespread knowledge that the butterfly emblem would keep the mission from appearing.

Also, in terms of getting her back, I was playing on PC when I finished that mission (before the way to get her back was patched in) and I went looking for a way to hack her back in. Found one, and not the easy, automated mod you can do today. First, I had to find a program someone had made to open the protected files, but it couldn't be the newest version, since that caused corruption to the internal files that I needed. After that, you needed to manually edit some files, then repackage the files using a different command....it took four hours of researching and working and reading various reddits until I got Quiet back. Was all worth it...for her ability as a sniper of course...

Vlaphor

Not at all. When you're near the end of the game or post ending, almost every enemy wears helmets. Unless you're using her most powerful sniper rifle, enemies will detect her position and shoot at her. And that particular rifle cannot be silenced, so the whole base will be aware of her position. Also, if you plan to extract those soldiers, this rifle would be completely useless as it's lethal.

Actually, when that happened, I would have her hold fire till I reached a certain point in the map (generally behind the majority of enemies), then have her shoot at an enemy and draw all their attention towards her so I could take them from the back.

Javin98

Banned
Actually, when that happened, I would have her hold fire till I reached a certain point in the map (generally behind the majority of enemies), then have her shoot at an enemy and draw all their attention towards her so I could take them from the back.
I'm too scared to have Quiet take the fire for me, that's why. Yes, I love Quiet as a character, GAF. Deal with it! :p

Neiteio

The story is where the game get's so much flak. Though it kind of deserves it. However I feel like not enough people give credit to it's setting and atmosphere which I think it nails magnificently. While it might not be the best crafted story, it's by far the MGS I enjoyed being in it's world the most. MGSV reminds me a lot of RE6 in that had they just went about trimming some things here and there and restructuring a few things it would have stood out as a better game in a lot of people's eyes.

Anyway I usually just stuck with the carbine and supp, so standard but it's so satisfying to snipe with it instead of an actual sniper.
Yeah, I really enjoy this game's world and being around its characters. There are so many interesting ideas at play, too, and the tapes approach them with the level of academic rigor we've come to expect from the series. Good stuff.

As for the main plot, it's very much "a slice of life." You're living the surreal life of Venom and the Diamond Dogs. Saving the world and getting revenge on Skull Face is the main plot, but then you experience the lack of fulfillment that comes from that revenge as they try to find a new purpose and a sense of peace.

I'm OK with how the latter half feels a bit meandering, loose and uneven... because life can be a bit meandering, loose and uneven. You're living Venom's life, so that when you learn certain truths, you can maybe empathize with him based on the struggles he's had, and the things that he lost.

I also like how said truths cast familiar characters in a fresh (and perhaps unflattering) light. But I'm trying to walk a fine line here, in case some still haven't played it.

I remember how amazing the mechanics are and how fun and satisfying some of the missions can be, I just can't find the motivation to go back to it. There's nothing I want to do in it. And it's not even like there's a well paced, satisfying campaign to let me use the amazing mechanics in a highly motivated way. It's like "do you wanna just dick around in a stealth sandbox?" and more often than not, the answer for me is no. Idk man, maybe I'll get back to it and play chapter 2 eventually.

Vlaphor

I'm too scared to have Quiet take the fire for me, that's why. Yes, I love Quiet as a character, GAF. Deal with it! :p

The only time Quiet ever got hurt enough to have to leave was the mission where you are heading to capture Skullface. Any other time, a small bit of micromanagement can get Quiet out of harm's way

...and yes, I also enjoyed Quiet for more than just her sniping skills.

Neiteio

Quiet's great if you're not planning on taking anybody back and want to go loud. Otherwise, I usually went with DD.

I remember working my way up to this guy I really wanted. High rank and a good set of skills. I grabbed him, and Quiet shot the guy in my arms. Damn you, Quiet.
You can equip Quiet with a tranquilizer rifle!

Top Bottom