• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEHIND XDEFIANT’S TOXIC WORK CULTURE, CRUNCH, AND YEARS OF DELAYS

People are racist but they do not go into their work and write racist stuff on white boards. Especially college educated. No way one thing that lady said happened to her.

I live in a country without historic racial tensions and if something like that happened the police would turn up in 30 minutes.

What she is saying can only happen in a Netflix movie.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Former developer speaks out about abuse

A group of white males get away with domestic abuse and racial insults in the workplace?

Sorry, but if that's true how the fuck would they get away with that? I'm calling BS with a hard B.

Oh you sweet summer child.

A cargo ship ran into a bridge due to a technical issue with the ship and everyone started blaming DEI practices for it. They found out the Mayor of Baltimore is a young black man, and they started spouting all kinds of racist shit and, again, blaming DEI for him winning his election.

I don't think you understand just how fucking racist some people can be and how safe they feel being that way.
Been watching a ton of news/clips of the crash. Not one reference to DEI, some conspiracy theories to be sure, but nothing related to DEI and/or racism. The captain was a white Ukrainian if memory serves me correctly

WoJ

Oh look, another article complaining that work is hard, bad culture, etc. etc.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Former developer speaks out about abuse

It's a huge shame that there was no way for her to document the fact that n***er had been written on a white board. If only we all had some kind of digital device in our pockets that could take photos, then she could have had proof of what these bastards were doing!

EDIT: of course, it's entirely believable that Ubishit staff are still carrying on as the bunch of douche bags they so clearly are... but in this day and age, if you're going to make accusations of this type, some sort of proof is required.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Man, Ubisoft has a lot of these bullshit projects in development hell. Anybody remember Beyond Good & Evil 2?

They fought tooth and nail for freedom and this is how they squander it...

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Here's another uncomfortable truth:
"Boys' clubs" development teams made mostly by nerdy white workaholics, without a single care for diversity or inclusivity, are the one that get shit done and the pillars that created this entire industry since the '80s/'90s.

It's entirely possible to develop video games without the company being full of misogynistic douche bag men AND ideologically driven, performative women.

That's the actual truth.

Sentenza

It's entirely possible to develop video games without the company being full of misogynistic douche bag men AND ideologically driven, performative women.

That's the actual truth.
Yeah, that's nice and all but with very little relevance to what I said.
No one gives a shit about the ideological flaunting in one direction or another.

Some type of developers are just more productive (and often technically savy) than others.
The ones overly-concerned with identity politics rarely fit the bill.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No one gives a shit about the ideological flaunting in one direction or another.

Some type of developers are just more productive (and often technically savy) than others.
The ones overly-concerned with identity politics rarely fit the bill.

Your post pretty heavily implied that the 'boy's club' style of games development is ok, because it makes better games than the ideological idiots. This is not the right way to think about it, and it's certainly not the truth - uncomfortable or otherwise.. It's the same mentality as they have - just coming at it from the other side. Neither is good. The best devs are universally the ones that never get accused of the kind of shit those cunts over at Ubisoft get up to, and are also not infected by a bunch of talentless ideologues.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It's ok to not believe allegations from one person if they are not backed up by evidence, even though Ubisoft has a history of bad workplace culture.

But what i find far more surprising is GAF's hard-on for crunch culture. It's ok to work developers to death as long as you get your game early ? Imperialist mindset. Where is this coming from ? I'm sure everyone here would enjoy not having to work more than 5 days a week or more than 8 hours a day. Why not extend that same consideration to game developers ? They are human beings too, same as you and me.
I work crunch on the regular. Many people do across many industries. Most of GAF are hard working adults. Seeing grown manlets and actually privileged children whine that they have to work 50-80 hours a week for a short while? Boo hoo.

Mind you that is discussing the typical video game industry crunch. Not the rare and horrid 1-3 years straight of crunch.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Checked this person's Twitter, couldn't make sentences without spewing those patriarchy, white supremacy shits.

To me it's just another hustler trying to make doughs over so claimed racism and toxicity.

Yeah, I checked her up and every single tweet pushes a racial narrative. Its always this people suffering absolutely atrocious stuff in a work environment I've never witnessed a fraction of.

Everyone can post what he or she wants, it doesn't mean its true or not heavily exaggerated at least. And come on, i'd make a photo of abuse like this and go straight towards HR and then possibly a lawyer.

Last edited:
"Boys' clubs" development teams made mostly by nerdy white workaholics, without a single care for diversity or inclusivity, are the one that get shit done and the pillars that created this entire industry since the '80s/'90s.

The implication here is that the opposite type of team never made good products. All it would take is a little bit of research to see why that’s not true.

A lot of people here have this issue of assigning the good or bad behind a game based on the few employees the company decided to put on camera to talk about the game. There’s a lot the public doesn’t see and a lot of devs who would rather not be interviewed or put in the spotlight.

It can be potentially irresponsible to say ‘this small group of individuals that I saw on camera is why this game failed’, especially when you let nostalgia take the wheel and forget that a ton of shitty games back then were made by the demographic you’re wanting to prop up.

The real answer usually lies in between but people rarely want to see it that way because online discourse funnels us into picking sides.

Sentenza

The implication here is that the opposite type of team never made good products. All it would take is a little bit of research to see why that’s not true.
No, the implication is that the type of team that today gets publicly VILIFIED on a daily basis for "lacking in diversity", being made mostly of male nerds and for crunching like there was no tomorrow (at times even doing full working nights or sleeping in the office and shit) has been for the a long time ALL this industry was made of.

Early Blizzard, Westwood Studios, Origin, Interplay, SSI, Bioware in the early days and so on were ALL teams structured in this way: a bunch of computer nerds starting in their garage and then grouping together to get shit done as cash bagan to flow.

It's also a known fact that individual expertise is a skillset in NET decline in the industry today. Fewer and fewer developers these days are generally familiar with coding at a core level.
Most learn to do their job only with a very specific toolset and lack any flexibility outside of their (narrow) area of expertise. For instance there are "Unreal engine-trained" developers who could hardly manage to get by working with anything else.
It's a trend that even Jonathan Blow pointed multiple times in the last few years.

Last edited:

skyfall

Remember when devs used to promote their games like this:

All the passion has been ripped out of men who just wanted to make some cool shit, another reason everything is so neutered today

Last edited:

NickFire

I would need to see some bona fide receipts to even consider the possibility that development issues stem from the people who are the targets of the HR complaints because of things like crunch. My bet is the problem really lies with the people who think complaining to HR is part of the development process.

No, the implication is that the type of team that today gets publicly VILIFIED on a daily basis for "lacking in diversity", being made mostly of male nerds and for crunching like there was no tomorrow (at times even doing full working nights or sleeping in the office and shit) has been for the a long time ALL this industry was made of.
Again, this is not happening all the time. I know GAF thread creators are trying to make it seem this way but ask yourself, how often do you see good, positive news posted here? Think about the ratio from bad news to good on this site to see what I mean. The bad gets more engagement and clicks(which I’m still trying to figure out why that matters here of all places), and that’s why you keep seeing a ton of bad news here.
Early Blizzard, Westwood Studios, Origin, Interplay, SSI, Bioware in the early days and so on were ALL teams structured in this way: a bunch of computer nerds starting in their garage and then grouping together to get shit done as cash bagan to flow.
And guess what, they were mostly smaller teams when they started out…like, you guessed it, most of today’s indie and AA studios that quite a few here ignore. Those passionate nerds still exist. People need to stop looking at the huge buildings with suits inside and begging them to cater to our specific needs.
It's also a known fact that individual expertise is a skillset in NET decline in the industry today. Fewer and fewer developers these days are generally familiar with coding at a core level.
Most learn to do their job only with a very specific toolset and lack any flexibility outside of their (narrow) area of expertise.
It's a trend that even Jonathan Blow pointed multiple times in the last few years.
This is a worldwide issue and honestly, again, it's nothing new, as it's something that existed before in the past. I know people here like to prop up the past, but we tend to forget about the large amount of bad games back then from the devs who weren't too familiar with coding well at a core level, thus giving us garbage.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Been watching a ton of news/clips of the crash. Not one reference to DEI, some conspiracy theories to be sure, but nothing related to DEI and/or racism. The captain was a white Ukrainian if memory serves me correctly
Here are some things to take a look at if you're actually curious.

If you're in a really adventurous mood, try checking out this tweet that twitter had to add context to, to explain that the Mayor was not elected because of DEI practices. Checkout some of the replies - a lot of them have been deleted now. There was also the casual mention of "open borders" being the cause of a Singaporean cargo ship crashing into a bridge in Baltimore.

You're probably not used to the subtle & coded racism in the workplace, but this shit is beyond tiring.

And then you have shit like this
When everything is going well it's because of white dudes. When shit starts hitting the fan, though: Must be all these coloured and trans people you're hiring that's bringing the team and project down.

But yeah, you're right.

I bet it was all the black and trans people who caused the industry crash in the mid 80s, right?

3D Realms in fucking Denmark probably spent 10 years swirling Duke Nukem Forever around a toilet bowl because the DEI practices of the late 90s.

Daedalic in Germany had a good handle on Gollum before all the diversity hires rolled in and turned it into a piece of shit.

If only those nerdy white workaholics at CDPR hadn't been hampered by the "blue haired" type.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Oh you sweet summer child.

A cargo ship ran into a bridge due to a technical issue with the ship and everyone started blaming DEI practices for it. They found out the Mayor of Baltimore is a young black man, and they started spouting all kinds of racist shit and, again, blaming DEI for him winning his election.

I don't think you understand just how fucking racist some people can be and how safe they feel being that way.

in one thread people complain the industry is so woke we can’t get jiggle physics in characters. In this thread assertions are made that the industry is full of sneaky racist writing offensive terms on white boards.

what is it. Is the video game industry full of racist or purple haired men haters.

Loomy

in one thread people complain the industry is so woke we can’t get jiggle physics in characters. In this thread assertions are made that the industry is full of sneaky racist writing offensive terms on white boards.

what is it. Is the video game industry full of racist or purple haired men haters.

The video game industry is not special in any way shape or form. The same shit that exists everywhere else is also present here. The problem is that everytime issues are brought up, it's always blamed the "woke, purple haired, diverse, lazy work from home" crowd".

I believe people generally just want to be treated fairly and have their concerns heard and be taken seriously. Everytime shit like this comes up, the automatic response is "bullshit, that can't happen".

Last edited:

Loomy

Modern made up ‘academic’ BS to give people like you validation for shitting on white people
Very interesting that you assume I shit on white people.

In the interest of clarification, no, I do not shit on white people. Or anyone else for that matter. I'm not an asshole.

Also, the term has been around since the 70s. There's nothing modern about it.

nush

Are you seeing this isn't a thing that happens in the real world?

No it's for fragile insecure people looking for victimhood points. "Someone farted next to me in the office" They did that because I'm blaaaaack.

Top Bottom