• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe me, a new Sega console would repeat all the same mistakes Saturn and Dreamcast.

A myth was created that Sega made mistakes in the past.

In fact, every company makes mistakes, but the impacts vary according to the capital the company has.
In the console market, the so-called mistakes is something necessary, few companies are as rich as Microsoft that can afford to make a mistake with Xbox One and basically relaunch the system with versions S and X or have enough money to put the best processor and the best gpu like they did Original xbox.

All other companies are forced to look for smart solutions to balance the scales.

Sega planned the Genesis successor as a console with limited 3D and excellent 2D capability, we are talking about 1991 here, very different from the myth that the console would be fully 2D (not even SNES was fully 2D ) this early concept, later became a console with single SH-2 so that after Sega discovered the PS1 specs and its 3d emphasis, they added the second SH-2 and other chips to make it our beloved Sega Saturn .

Why did this happen?

Simple, Money.
The plastic of the PS1, the length of the wire and quality of the cannon were not the best, memory card transferring this additional cost to the consumer save its games. But PS1 internal components were some of the best in 1994 and there were contracts ensuring exclusivity.
there was no way for SEGA to have a competitive console against companies that have dozens of times its capital, note that Nintendo, being richer than SEGA, did not dare to put CD-Rom in its consoles. This conclusion inexorably leads to the use of so-called mistakes ( wich are mistakes only when it goes wrong when it goes right they call it genius)

What would a hypothetical Sega console look like in modern times?

There is the 12TF 16GB Xbox Series X on the market today, there is also the 6TF 12GB Xbox Series S representing the minimum power to receive multiplatforms.
SEGA would have two options
Making a console above 12tf and using a lower quality cpu than the Wii U did, maybe 12gb of memory or
Make a console with 8 teraflops and 16GB of memory with expansion to 24GB sold separately.
This configuration would allow SEGA to surpass the Xbox Series X graphics but using Series S resolutions

I anticipate that this strategy of looking for more power is bad due to the advent of PRO consoles

Sega has enough money to put a console on the market, a Switch would be easy, I hope they still have a competitive instinct in them.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Keep Talking Idris Elba GIF

digdug2

Sorry to nitpick, but Xbox Series S is only putting out 4TF of power. Sure it has the newer CPU, RAM, and SSD but I would absolutely argue that it's quite a bit worse than the Xbox One X in terms of capability. If SEGA were to drop a new console putting out 8TF, it would be quite a bit more powerful than the Series S.

That all being said, what would it bring to the table that doesn't already exist?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A myth!? what are you smoking its a fact..

- internal struggles.
- lost money at the end of the genesis life.
- saturn was severely hard to program for while the playstation was super easy.
- didn't even have a SDK the first year of its life.
- did not make new games on Saturn from popular genesis series.
- dumb CEO blocked as many 2d games from NA as possible.
- $299 playstation vs $399 Saturn

Sega will not put out another console because it's absolutely the dumbest thing anyone could do right now as consoles will begin to be phase out in the coming decades .

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sega will not put out another console because it's absolutely the dumbest thing anyone could do right now as consoles will begin to be phase out in the coming decades .
Lol seriously, it’s looking like the market won’t even be able to sustain 3 consoles anymore. Why in the fuck would anybody even try to break into this market right now?

You don’t need to start talking about hypothetical specs or analyze Sega’s history from 3 decades ago lmao. None of that matters. Even if Sega did everything right and made zero mistakes with a new console it’d still be doomed because literally nobody wants a freaking 4th console platform. Including Sega.

StereoVsn

Legend say the games would even code themselves.
Yeah, this is more one was fucking hard to develop with terrible toolset at the start, especially for 3D.

And the other was still hard to program for but had a pretty good SDK and dev tools.

Still, I love Saturn and Dreamcast with their almost arcade perfect SEGA and Capcom ports.

Edit: And why for the love of God, would SEGA want to get back into console business. They can just make their cash with games in all the consoles.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

A myth!? what are you smoking its a fact..

- internal struggles.
- lost money at the end of the genesis life.
- saturn was severely hard to program for while the playstation was super easy.
- didn't even have a SDK the first year of its life.
- did not make new games on Saturn from popular genesis series.
- dumb CEO blocked as many 2d games from NA as possible.
- $299 playstation vs $399 Saturn

Yeah the whole story was confirmed when internal Sega of America documents leaked a few months ago going back to the early Saturn days.

Also right now seems like the worst possible moment to attempt a hardware comeback for Sega.

Unknown?

Sorry to nitpick, but Xbox Series S is only putting out 4TF of power. Sure it has the newer CPU, RAM, and SSD but I would absolutely argue that it's quite a bit worse than the Xbox One X in terms of capability. If SEGA were to drop a new console putting out 8TF, it would be quite a bit more powerful than the Series S.

That all being said, what would it bring to the table that doesn't already exist?
Mudslinging ads on TV/Internet? XD

thank you. 4tf (xb1x is 6tf)
Sega can bring new types of games, 8TF and 24GB allows you to make games that mimic with the next generation

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

The problem nowadays would be that arcades are dead. The Dreamcast was a fantastic System because it was so close to the Naomi platform. I can’t think of a console that had a similar lineup of fantastic high end games within 2 years of its lifecycle (and comparing it to where we are right now in this generation makes me cry). But the market chose and it wanted a DVD player.

digdug2

thank you. 4tf (xb12x is 6tf)
Sega can bring new types of games, 8TF and 24GB allows you to make games that mimic with the next generation
I would love to see SEGA back in the console market.

Realistically, 8TF with 24GB could actually be a powerhouse of a console. From what I've read, RAM, or more specifically, the amount of usable RAM, is one of the bottlenecks in these new consoles. Especially when you're talking about Series S.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sega built great consoles in the 80s and 90s I’m not talking the best consoles, and under the circumstances you were lucky to have a Genesis or game gear. Today a sega console would be refined, protected by SEGA loyalists and have a heck of a lineup (Yakuza, new IP, Sonic etc.) they make pressure sega to make another console.

Topher

Gold Member
Can’t wait for the Sega historians to come in here.

XbMGzcJ.png

How about ChackuallyGPT?

While the OP offers some interesting insights and speculations, it's essential to address several points that suggest inaccuracies or misconceptions:

1. Misinterpretation of Sega's History: The OP implies that Sega's past decisions were solely driven by financial constraints and competition. While financial considerations are undoubtedly significant in business decisions, attributing Sega's choices solely to monetary limitations overlooks other factors such as market trends, technological capabilities, and strategic planning.
  2. Assumption of Unrealized Potential: Speculating on what a hypothetical modern Sega console would look like based on current market offerings and Sega's financial status may not accurately represent the company's potential or intentions. It's essential to recognize that the gaming industry is complex, and the success of a console depends on various factors beyond just raw hardware specifications.
  3. Oversimplification of Market Dynamics: The OP oversimplifies the dynamics of the console market by focusing primarily on hardware specifications and financial resources. While these are undoubtedly important factors, success in the gaming industry also depends on software support, marketing strategies, developer relationships, and consumer preferences.
  4. Assumption of Sega's Intentions: Speculating on Sega's future console plans without concrete evidence or official statements can be misleading. While it's intriguing to imagine what Sega might do in the future, it's crucial to base such discussions on factual information and industry trends rather than assumptions about the company's intentions or capabilities.
In conclusion, while the OP raises some thought-provoking points about Sega's past decisions and potential future endeavors, it's essential to approach such discussions with a critical eye and a recognition of the complexities inherent in the gaming industry.

StereoVsn

How about ChackuallyGPT?

While the OP offers some interesting insights and speculations, it's essential to address several points that suggest inaccuracies or misconceptions:

1. Misinterpretation of Sega's History: The OP implies that Sega's past decisions were solely driven by financial constraints and competition. While financial considerations are undoubtedly significant in business decisions, attributing Sega's choices solely to monetary limitations overlooks other factors such as market trends, technological capabilities, and strategic planning.
  2. Assumption of Unrealized Potential: Speculating on what a hypothetical modern Sega console would look like based on current market offerings and Sega's financial status may not accurately represent the company's potential or intentions. It's essential to recognize that the gaming industry is complex, and the success of a console depends on various factors beyond just raw hardware specifications.
  3. Oversimplification of Market Dynamics: The OP oversimplifies the dynamics of the console market by focusing primarily on hardware specifications and financial resources. While these are undoubtedly important factors, success in the gaming industry also depends on software support, marketing strategies, developer relationships, and consumer preferences.
  4. Assumption of Sega's Intentions: Speculating on Sega's future console plans without concrete evidence or official statements can be misleading. While it's intriguing to imagine what Sega might do in the future, it's crucial to base such discussions on factual information and industry trends rather than assumptions about the company's intentions or capabilities.
In conclusion, while the OP raises some thought-provoking points about Sega's past decisions and potential future endeavors, it's essential to approach such discussions with a critical eye and a recognition of the complexities inherent in the gaming industry.
ChatGPT wins the argument, lol. Or maybe it’s Co-Pilot and Satya is monitoring new console ideas in real time. Phil will be replaced by Bing. 😉

Hudo

Sega has enough money to put a console on the market, a Switch would be easy, I hope they still have a competitive instinct in them.
If they were to seriously enter the console market again and go head-to-head with Nintendo and Sony, they'd essentially bet the company on this. I don't think they have enough money to fail and still keep on operating. They'd need to expand their first-party development efforts, expand their hardware and software R&D, establish a cloud and online infrastructure and employ people to develop and maintain it. Establish departments for third-party relations and technical support, hire production engineers, expand their legal department, expand their marketing department (and invest a lot of money into it), hire people to maintain and develop internal compiling and debugging tools for their platform(s), re-establish the software certification departments, etc.

Which is why we won't see Sega entering that market again.

I would expect it to be more on the power level of switch/switch 2 and chase a gimmick.
The leaner the hardware, the more conservative the investment. the healthier the company's coffers will be..

Sega's tradition shows that despite being less rich than their peers, they excelled in making hardware, the Game Gear was colorful before GBC but on the other hand used a lot of battery. In practice, Sega helped test what works and what doesn't in this industry.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think a lot of these modern Sega fans have romanticized versions of Sega. They bought secondhand Saturns and maybe a Dreamcast when it was being given away - and read stories online of how amazing Sega was in the 16-bit era. They collect their little Saturn games off eBay for huge money, thinking wow, how did this fail? It’s so amazing!

These people weren’t around back then to experience just how badly Sega Saturn got spanked. They weren’t waiting around for the slow trickle of game releases or reading reviews where the Saturn version (which often showed up way later) was almost always the worst - if there even was a Saturn version. They didn’t see how badly Saturn was ignored. They didn’t see Sega’s feeble marketing or their sad attempts at rekindling the Sega scream.

Maybe they didn’t see how Dreamcast was treated as a stop gap system until PS2 arrived.

Whatever the case there’s this goofy idea that somehow the casual audience would suddenly care about buying a Sega console. A Sega console that would lack the enormous variety of the Genesis, since these days they only bother with two franchises. At least Dreamcast coasted on arcade ports. A new Sega console couldn’t even do that. It would be a miserable money losing failure, and I don’t think anyone wants to see that.

SoloCamo

Making a console above 12tf and using a lower quality cpu than the Wii U did, maybe 12gb of memory or
Make a console with 8 teraflops and 16GB of memory with expansion to 24GB sold separately.
This configuration would allow SEGA to surpass the Xbox Series X graphics but using Series S resolutions

I really hope this was written by AI because that is just not how this works whatsoever...

I really hope this was written by AI because that is just not how this works whatsoever...
It's not AI, speaking in english is many difficult to me, ignore grammatical errors ok

the idea is simple. The so-called mistakes are attempts that less wealthy companies make to make their product viable. I made it almost clear using Wii U as example, in order not to cost the same billions in R&D as the Xbox 360 did in 2005, Nintendo chose to choose the CPU as the component in which the ''mistake'' would be deposited.

a hypothetical new Sega console (Sega being less rich) will naturally have to choose an outdated component - if the console is successful they will be called intelligent but if it fails it will be called mistake however the action was strictly the same.

KaiserBecks

Nah, this is cope, the market chose the console with actual games: the old-gen PS1.
And we are about to witness this same thing happening again when the PS5 inevitably outsells the early next-gen Xbox in its first year.

I agree with the latter but I think it's to do with people not trusting the Xbox brand anymore. The Dreamcast had actual games, many of them.

Top Bottom