• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Carson turned down offer to work in Trump's admin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

...WITH THE MOST OBVIOUS REASON POSSIBLE.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...offer-to-serve-in-trump-administration-report

Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson has told President-elect Donald Trump that he isn't interested in serving as secretary of Health and Human Services, a Carson ally confirmed to The Hill on Tuesday.

Business manager and close friend Armstrong Williams said Carson won't join the incoming Trump administration and would only serve as an unofficial adviser.

Circa on Tuesday reported that Carson had been offered the position, citing Williams. But Williams told The Hill that no specific offer had been made.

"Dr. Carson was never offered a specific position, but everything was open to him," Williams told The Hill in a phone call.

"Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

The renowned neurosurgeon was one of Trump's first primary opponents to jump on board his campaign. He was viewed as one of the likely picks to lead the agency that will work to roll back ObamaCare in the new administration.

Reports also pegged him as a candidate for secretary of Education.

Earlier this month, Trump described Carson as a "brilliant physician" and said he hoped Carson "will be very much involved with my administration."

But Williams said Carson would only advise the president-elect unofficially.

Carson has been looking for ways to be influential outside of government, including his My Faith Votes, a group that looks to motivate Christian voters.

Dude ran for President...

On one hand, I commend him for being honest.

On the other hand...brother man, you ran for President so what the fuck are you on?????

Gun Animal

Sounds like he had no intention of actually winning, is it possible that the GOP deliberately runs one black male and one white female in the primaries every four years now just for optics?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
No shit, but you ran for office anyway!
I guess it was all about that book money to begin with.
What a fucking amateur hour this election was

Fury451

Banned

On the other hand...brother man, you ran for President so what the fuck are you on?????

He knew he wasn't going to win, but he got his name out there in a bigly way. Personally I don't think he had any interest in winning at any point.

I kind of think the same thing happened with Trump, except it got horribly out of hand.

MIMIC

Banned
"Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

Is he talking about Trump, or himself (Carson)?

EDIT: He's talking about himself? Oh Jesus.

I wouldn't want to take a job that would cripple the presidency.

I am totes willing to cripple the presidency itself.

Self-awareness, man. People need it.

I officially can't anymore

It kind of make sense in a bizarre twisted logic way. As president you rely on other people to do everything for you. As Secretary of Health you would actually have to get shit done yourself.

RDreamer

Most on the Republican side running for president aren't actually running for president. I'm pretty sure Trump was on that train, too...

It's a money making machine. You get a ton of fame and media attention to your name and can grab donations. It's a book tour.

Meowster

I don't get this man but I'm happy with him not being a part of the cabinet.

I just hope that doesn't mean someone even more insane gets the position because of it..

Ben glad he dodged a bullet or what?! Just noped out of a spot.

Or this more like pride, since he didn't win the top spot?

Just so surreal.

Most on the Republican side running for president aren't actually running for president. I'm pretty sure Trump was on that train, too...

It's a money making machine. You get a ton of fame and media attention to your name and can grab donations. It's a book tour.

The entire Republican Primary was like a high-stakes game of Gay Chicken.

Trump won/lost.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
It kind of make sense in a bizarre twisted logic way. As president you rely on other people to do everything for you. As Secretary of Health you would actually have to get shit done yourself.

I get the feeling a lot of these rich fucks ran for office thinking that they wouldn't actually have to do that much work, like in their cozy CEO chairs. The recount from Trump himself being astonished at the breadth of responsibilities he'd have to assume as president seemed like proof enough.

pantsmith

Just fyi, running for president ups your brand awareness as well as the amount of money you can charge for a conservative speaking gig.

Tons of candidates run to get their two cents in and grow their brand, knowing full well they will never be elected.

Yeah. Based on what we know Trump never intended to win either, but obviously with an ego like his he wasnt going to back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom