• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk 2016 Anime |OT| Prelude to the CGI Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so grateful to finally see this stuff animated. Thank you to the people who invested the time and money into making this adaption when no one would for all these years. I hope they get to continue the Beserk saga and I will be picking up the english dub boxset as soon it becomes available.

giphy.gif

Labolas

Man, another problem I have with this show is it doesn't feel gritty enough. Characters go on and on about how Guts is like some type of monster, but I never get that feeling like I do in the manga.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Man, another problem I have with this show is it doesn't feel gritty enough. Characters go on and on about how Guts is like some type of monster, but I never get that feeling like I do in the manga.

Part of the issue with the show is that it cuts out all the stuff that happens between the movies/90's series where Guts is earning the title of the Black Swordsman and the start of this series. So we see none of the stuff except for some butchered snippets of why Guts is feared and has a notorious reputation. Its literally telling us instead of showing.

Labolas

Part of the issue with the show is that it cuts out all the stuff that happens between the movies/90's series where Guts is earning the title of the Black Swordsman and the start of this series. So we see none of the stuff except for some butchered snippets of why Guts is feared and has a notorious reputation. Its literally telling us instead of showing.

So true. Also the actual imagery of him looking like a monster is a bit lost in the transition as well.

HStallion

http://www.manga-audition.com/zenon201610-haraxmiura/

From a conversation between Tetsuo Hara (Fist of the North Star) and Miura, they had a talk about anime adaptations and not quite living up to the source material...

The “Fist of the North Star” anime became massively popular around the world. However, when seeing the anime adaptation for the first time, Hara-sensei lamented the lack of details in the animated characters. Since the original manga had so much detail, the simplified depictions in the anime come across as somewhat lacking. Miura sensei reacts by saying “it’s a kind of tragedy that can happen only to a talented artist”.

Valus

Haven't read the manga, only the original anime and the movie remakes and this episode was pretty confusing.

So there's two separate demons fucking around right? One is the weird balloon baby that seems to want to protect Casca, and another is the female looking eyes that seems to want to fuck with Guts/Casca? And now the square face dude and his minions have wings and breathe fire?? It looked like female eyes was behind his upgrade...I thought I saw the eyes in the room before he pyroblasted the balloon baby mucus wall.

I feel like everything is being rushed and that they are jumping all over the place. It just doesn't feel fluid at all.

Farnese and Link-wannabe are super annoying so far, I hope they get better. This isn't what I pictured the continuation of Berserk would be but I'm going to keep watching for now.

It's also a pain in the ass finding a place to watch the most current episode. So many ads and episodes cut off midway...maybe I should just pay for a crunchyroll subscription but I'm not watching any other show...

HStallion

Haven't read the manga, and this episode was pretty confusing, only the original anime and the movie remakes.

So there's two separate demons fucking around right? One is the weird balloon baby that seems to want to protect Casca, and another is the female looking eyes that seems to want to fuck with Guts/Casca? And now the square face dude and his minions have wings and breathe fire?? It looked like female eyes was behind his upgrade...I thought I saw the eyes in the room before he pyroblasted the balloon baby mucus wall.

I feel like everything is being rushed and that they are jumping all over the place. It just doesn't feel fluid at all.

Farnese and Link-wannabe are super annoying so far, I hope they get better. This isn't what I pictured the continuation of Berserk would be but I'm going to keep watching for now.

It's also a pain in the ass finding a place to watch the most current episode. So many ads and episodes cut off midway...maybe I should just pay for a crunchyroll subscription but I'm not watching any other show...

Its confusing because they totally made stuff up and cut out several very important parts including a whole story arc.

brought to you by the user that posted this

You arent missing much by not watching the OG anime besides shitty animation, key characters missng, and a shitty ending.

As much as I loved the '97 anime, he ain't lying about that ending, that was a terrible ending to a series finale. The only good thing I can think of about the ending was that it made you want to read the manga to find out how Casca and Guts managed to escape.

Haven't read the manga, only the original anime and the movie remakes and this episode was pretty confusing.

Yes. Two different entities. And the eyes one is the reason why that happened.

That's because it's being rushed. Not only that, there's a lot of stuff omitted, skipped, etc. The whole refugee thing, why are they there, what's happening the world, what's happening post eclipse, it's all gone. Simple characters such as Luca or Nina for instance are sort of observant kind of characters. They populate Berserk world and Miura details bits and pieces about them. The events that surround them end up having some kind of impact cause they actually exist. Not in the anime. They are just boring renditions of talkative characters.

I sincerely have no idea how a anime only person would follow this show without thinking that this narrative was just nonsense. And cause they cut events so fast it really feels like they are jumping all over the place.

Farnese and Link-wannabe are super annoying so far, I hope they get better.

Farnese is supposed to be this very spoiled kind of woman , with a domineering social behavior, who is seeing her world absolutely shattered. Instead of being dramatic and in a state of awe and confusion she is, indeed, merely annoying. She is also very very troubled. Again, there's a level of simplicity in seeing a woman going back to her chambers and in the midst of this craziness she starts masturbating thinking about people being burned alive. This is brutal, explicit and very indicative of who she is and her upbringing (as she remembers her past). I've talked with a friend who didnt even understood she was pleasuring herself.

This isn't what I pictured the continuation of Berserk would be but I'm going to keep watching for now.

Well the continuation of Berserk is actually Guts going on a crazy violent rampage against Apostles and sinking himself in a path of nothing but destruction. Pure nihilism. This section of the story comes after when he discovers Caska his gone and he gradually accepts that his role as her guardian must be much more valued than his quest for revenge. Off course if you cut the first section, the second makes no sense nor has any weight.

As for the continuation plot-wise, the next few episodes will show you how direct it is to what you have seen. Shit will happen. And what has been happening, happened for a reason.

Grudy

Edit 2:Spoilers about the balloon baby, from a manga scene post eclipse not adapted into the anime so far:
That's her son btw. Did they show it's birth in the 3rd movie? I don't think so, but that demon is the child of Guts and Casca tainted by Femto's rape.

Edit: Do anime-only people not know this? Mind boggling if so.

Would you believe me if I told you that Farnese and Serpico are two really good characters? Farnese's is head is truly fucked beyond belief and this point and Serpico is honestly the only person holding her together. The only problem is this show really just does a bad job of portraying her character. Serpico's not even a Link-wannabe yet.

Grudy

Would you believe me if I told you that Farnese and Serpico are two really good characters? Farnese's is head is truly fucked beyond belief and this point and Serpico is honestly the only person holding her together. The only problem is this show really just does a bad job of portraying her character. Serpico's not even a Link-wannabe yet.

I think Farnese just needs to move more. Compared to the other characters in the Tower of Conviction her actions feels very stiff and I think she stayed in 'shock' mode for a bit too long. Seprico was far better in that regard.

I think Farnese just needs to move more. Compared to the other characters in the Tower of Conviction her actions feels very stiff and I think she stayed in 'shock' mode for a bit too long. Seprico was far better in that regard.
I think the main problem with Farnese was that she didn't really know who she wanted to be at that point. She clung seriously hard to the religious order to the point where it was the only thing that made sense to her. Without that she was just some seriously demented child, which I don't think she wanted to be known as anymore, but at the same time that's all she knew.

Last episode was good. Although, there were way too many pan ups. I'm assuming this is the last ep because on wikipedia it was listed as 10. There was a next episode preview, so I am guessing there is a break?

Jesus, what was that terrible music towards the end there? I mean, I get cacophony being a thing and all with something of a thematic place given the goings on---but that was wildly out of place bad even for this show!

Dahbomb

That's her son btw. Did they show it's birth in the 3rd movie? I don't think so, but that demon is the child of Guts and Casca tainted by Femto's rape.

Edit: Do anime-only people not know this? Mind boggling if so.
It has never been shown in animated form so how would they know?

The fucking Dragon Slayer should not be shining like the Holy Moonlight Great Sword. It's fucking come full fucking circle. Mozgus barely even flaps his wings, he just hovers.

Acerac

Banned
The fucking Dragon Slayer should not be shining like the Holy Moonlight Great Sword. It's fucking come full fucking circle. Mozgus barely even flaps his wings, he just hovers.

Seriously this show isn't realistic at all. With wings that size he should be flapping like a hummingbird.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've been giving this show chance after chance to try and course correct from its many faults. I'll still try but I have to say, this latest episode had me laughing really hard at the multiple camera cuts and zooms during the scene where Guts views the camps on fire shaped like a brand(which they didn't zoom out enough to show it fully). Cut, zoom, pan, zoom, cut, zoom cut, zoom, zoom, cut, pan, zoom. It was soap opera level of bad. I understand that the director behind this is mainly known for comedy anime but I was hoping to not laugh at Berserk in this way, because it's a 'this is so bad' laugh.

They even cut out the part where she gave birth to it?

I guess things aren't being spoiler tagged?

I was wondering about that myself. Aren't most fans here suggesting others read the manga for themselves?

I've genuinely liked most of the season, but I also can say that a lot of that is due to the cool bits of story. And the music is good, the OP really grew on me. And Puck is coo.

The show doesn't have the same atmosphere, and character development of the 90's anime, I don't think.

Grudy

It has never been shown in animated form so how would they know?

I didn't mean to harp on anime-only fans, but at the anime producers who didn't think to include or even mention it. I just didn't notice the fact it was never included till then.

They even cut out the part where she gave birth to it?

I guess things aren't being spoiler tagged?

I didn't spoiler tag it because the anime is way past the point in the story where they can properly show it, and I think people should know what the demon is by now. How would it make sense if it's just a random demon that's protecting Casca?

Anyway, I tagged it above. If anyone wants to read the scene in the manga, it's the first chapter in volume 14 (Chapter 92).

Anung

Un Rama
The only character that suits this crappy CGI art-style is Skull Knight. His design doesn't stand out too bad in that style because his Armour and makes him suitably otherworldly.

The most silly scene of this season has to be at the start of this episode when the egg grabs Luca and rolls his way down the hill, comedy gold.

Sayad

Anyone know how good/bad the anime is doing? Chances for a season 2?
It can't be doing worse than its budget require, right?!

Anyone know how good/bad the anime is doing? Chances for a season 2?
It can't be doing worse than its budget require, right?!

I mean... I don't want a second season if the animation and cutting of the story is this bad... but at the same time I want more Berserk... Damn the Gods of Fate...

I sincerely would say that everything was wrong in this episode. Everything. This episode would receive a special award of how to fuck up everything. There's a special level of talent to present this clusterfuck. But I just want to note how terrible the tone of the episode this. There's a huge section of the events portrayed that should be pure terror. The underlying horror starts to manifest itself and this poor despaired people who are all stuck in the refuges camp (which seemed to have for the first time showed it's enormous scale, while in previous episodes looked like a couple of tents) are all going to suffer. The army is completely clueless to the events and Guts seems to be severely outnumbered. Yet between the colors, the music, the pacing, the dialogues, the editing, it's all watered down. Like, yeah theses fuckers are all going to be dead. Let's just move on.

Fuck you Liden Films, Gemba and Millepensee. Even your production names sound bad.

The recent episode was one of the worst.
I can not find the right words to describe how I feel about it. I am usually not one who does complain much and often, but this is on another level, and way more than unworthy for berserk.
The editing and camera work are from hell. The sound effects are incredibly bad. And we do not need to talk about the visuals and animations. Everything seems just randomly thrown together, without a clue about what they are doing. The atmosphere is miles away from what you get in the manga, or even the movies + first series. And what was going on with the music in this episode? There was one track playing for way too long, making it annoying for ears and brain.

Mister Wolf

As much as I loved the '97 anime, he ain't lying about that ending, that was a terrible ending to a series finale. The only good thing I can think of about the ending was that it made you want to read the manga to find out how Casca and Guts managed to escape.

The ending is so bad there is no way to recommend it over the Golden Age trilogy films. The shit doesn't even show
Silat or Skullknight
yet goes out of its way to show filler. I guess to some those heart to heart moments with the band of the hawk are more important than actual key characters affecting berserk's story at present and in the future.

mcz117chief

The ending is so bad there is no way to recommend it over the Golden Age trilogy films. The shit doesn't even show
Silat or Skullknight
yet goes out of its way to show filler. I guess to some those heart to heart moments with the band of the hawk are more important than actual key characters affecting berserk's story at present and in the future.

Because this adaptation of the Manga is not supposed to be a 100% accurate copy of the Manga. That should have been obvious from the 1st dialogue in the show where they talk about Griffith being the king who ruined the world. The anime is supposed to be it's own thing following the Manga with a beginning that is the same as the ending (a cyclic anime). That anime isn't supposed to stand as a replacement or an alternative to the manga but it should be taken as more of an introduction to the whole thing.

Mister Wolf

Because this adaptation of the Manga is not supposed to be a 100% accurate copy of the Manga. That should have been obvious from the 1st dialogue in the show where they talk about Griffith being the king who ruined the world. The anime is supposed to be it's own thing following the Manga with a beginning that is the same as the ending (a cyclic anime). That anime isn't supposed to stand as a replacement or an alternative to the manga but it should be taken as more of an introduction to the whole thing.

Doesn't matter if it deviates from the manga to me. Them not introducing
Skullknight
and later on showing how he
rescues guts and casca
makes the 97 series terrible in relation to the remake saga. Any story with a fade to black doomsday ending moment just to fast foward to the future is terrible no matter how much I like Berserk. Telling people you have to read the manga to find out is a cop out and felt stupid everytime I had to explain to people I introduced the series.

HStallion

Silat or Skullknight

If the original show were planned as more than a single season then they would have most likely had those characters but like Puck, it could have very well been a little random and confusing to put in characters who are barely there for that time period. Not too mention that none of them had prominent parts to play the overall events portrayed in the series, even the SK basically shows up to give an ominous warning then to save Guts and Casca at the Eclipse. The story focused on the Band of the Falcon because that was the entire point of the animated series, it wasn't worried about showing us every apostle Guts had come across or all the side characters who wouldn't become important till later on.

Its a criticism but its hardly like what we got wasn't great. If we didn't give a shit about the Band of the Falcon then the Eclipse loses a lot of its punch. SK, Silat and Puck had nothing to do with that focus. If anything they should have kept Wyald since he has a much more direct impact on things.

mcz117chief

Doesn't matter if it deviates from the manga to me. Them not introducing
Skullknight
and later on showing how he
rescues guts and casca
makes the 97 series terrible in relation to the remake saga. Any story with a fade to black doomsday ending moment just to fast foward to the future is terrible no matter how much I like Berserk. Telling people you have to read the manga to find out is a cop out and felt stupid everytime I had to explain to people I introduced the series.

Skullknight would have no purpose there if they only showed him once. His character is just too important for that. I am glad they cut him out since introducing such an important character three episodes before the end would make the whole thing feel cheap. I really liked the ending personally and it was the reason why I started buying the books so I could find out what happened after.

If anything they should have kept Wyald since he has a much more direct impact on things.

Removal of Wyald was another great decision as well as having Guts and Griffith being the only ones who survived the attack by Zodd. The fact that there is no Wyald and that apostles don't appear until the very last moment only makes the final two episodes a lot more impactful.

Silat or Skullknight

Yeah man the movies are a great checklist of the Golden Age. They really do cram them all in there. "Yo director-san, where's the Bonfire of Dreams?" "Yo damn, we got 90 seconds to spare for that, shove it somewhere in there!"

Oh and then it isn't a great checklist because where's the Queen Assassination plot, Wyald, Zodd helping Guts and every other thing the movies decided to cut in favor of showing their 1995 MTV CG models flailing around like frozen rubber dolls?

Introducing elements like Skull Knight and Wyald into an adaptation that you know is just going to be about Golden Age is wholly unnecessary. 1997 anime, as a solitary work, is better than it would be had they crammed SK in there because he's not really important plot-wise right up until after the exact point where the anime ended. So throwing him into the movies, which were planned to go beyond Golden Age, made sense.

The original show succeeded in bringing the tone and pace of Golden Age to life while the movies just hacked together whatever and went with it. Also saying the ending is bad and makes the show impossible to recommend is baffling. It's not a bad ending. It's a grim ending that makes people interested in continuing with the franchise in a way where they have no idea what they're getting into past the Eclipse. If the ending was bad then all the people I've recommended the show to would not be pestering me about how they can read the manga or when there's a new [good] Berserk adaptation coming.

Although I have to say this current anime is really making me reconsider my stance on the movies.

Edit: Also SK does not rescue them from the Eclipse in the 97 series. You're misremembering.

HStallion

Removal of Wyald was another great decision as well as having Guts and Griffith being the only ones who survived the attack by Zodd. The fact that there is no Wyald and that apostles don't appear until the very last moment only makes the final two episodes a lot more impactful.

The Snake Baron is in the first episode, its not like Supernatural elements were totally absent outside of Zodd and the Eclipse and Wyald's encounter features both Zodd and is a culmination of the training Guts has done as well as juxtapositioning that to Griffith and how far he had fallen and weak and useless he had become. I don't mind him not being in there as he isn't the only character cut but of all the characters taken out he was the one with the most direct impact on the characters and the plot.

Grudy

I also find the ending of the original anime to be pretty bad. I've gotten 3 people so far to start watching Berserk and they all complained about it, saying it's just confusing and anticlimactic, as in the way they cut from
Gut's eye/face to credits
. One honestly asked me whether there was some extra episode somewhere because it cannot end abruptly like that.

Saying the anime was its own thing but then defending the ending by saying it makes you wanna read the manga doesn't make sense to me. There's no sense of finality to it and serves to diffuse the high tension and horror of the eclipse in the most abrupt and unsatisfying way (imo).

Saying the anime was its own thing but then defending the ending by saying it makes you wanna read the manga doesn't make sense to me. There's no sense of finality to it and serves to diffuse the high tension and horror of the eclipse in the most abrupt and unsatisfying way (imo).
That's very much why I prefer the post credits of the film trilogy. Gives a feeling of closing a chapter while opening another, and giving you enough time to realize how truly cruel the post-eclipse fate of all the characters is.

Mister Wolf

I also find the ending of the original anime to be pretty bad. I've gotten 3 people so far to start watching Berserk and they all complained about it, saying it's just confusing and anticlimactic, as in the way they cut from
Gut's eye/face to credits
. One honestly asked me whether there was some extra episode somewhere because it cannot end abruptly like that.

Its laughably bad and was only acceptable because its all we had. For all their faults the trilogy movies are much better. Less time talking talking about the history of the Korbawitz family and more time dedicated to showing the actual conclusion of the Golden Age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom