• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Gets New Anime Project Featuring Guts as 'Black Swordsman'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, wait... so for those not as in the know.... This new show takes place after the prior show's ending? Um... the little preview didn't look as... horrific as I would expect if that is the case.

coy

I cannot believe we're moving past the Golden Age in animated form. I love the arc like everyone else but wanted to see the later arcs onscreen. This can't come out soon enough!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Ninja-Turtle-Michelangelo-Way-Too-Excited-Gif.gif

i don't even care about CGI, we are FINALLY going past the Golden Age Arc.

As disappointing as the cgi looks, I couldn't stop myself getting hyped from the pv. Great to see guts party finally in a series. Guess no schierke for this series though.

Arizato

Is this another movie or is this an actual anime series?

I've watched the original anime, but I missed out on the movies. Can I watch this without watching the movies?

GOBLESS getting Susumu out of fake-retirement to do another killer song. Having Shiro Sagisu on staff also gives me hope that this is as gentle a downgrade from feature quality as possible, while still trying to retain the tone.

Eridani

Is this another movie or is this an actual anime series?

I've watched the original anime, but I missed out on the movies. Can I watch this without watching the movies?

I'm pretty sure it's a new series, seeing as it's going to air on TV.

As for your second question, the movies and the original anime cover almost exactly the same material, although the third movie does cover a bit more of the ending (around 5 extra minutes or so). I should say that I haven't actually read much of the manga afterwards, so I don't know how much that actually matters, although it certainly seemed important. So that might be a bit confusing (assuming the new series won't recap the ending), but you certainly don't need to watch the entire movie trilogy.

Fou-Lu

Still not a fan of using CG but.... I am just so fucking excited to get past the golden age arc in animation!!!!

Moonkid

The footage they chose here wasn't as bad but my hopes still aren't up. Not gonna lie though, it was pretty hype seeing Farnese and other post-Golden Age characters.

Aikidoka

Pretty hyped from this, especially for the music, which gives me hope to hear the Behelit theme.

Any word on where exactly this starts? I imagine they will go to the reincarnation first.

MEsoJD

Banned
Why do they continue to push this CG crap? Sure it's easier to animate, but Berserk deserves better than that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That would look awesome if it wasn't CGI but since it is I can't really get excited for this.

Wait, wait... so for those not as in the know.... This new show takes place after the prior show's ending? Um... the little preview didn't look as... horrific as I would expect if that is the case.
No, I think it's taking place after the movies as those already introduced Skull Knight. Plus, the '97 anime did the first part of Black Swordsman which did not feature Puck.

MattyG

Banned
I need to read Berserk. Gonna pick up volume 1 next week and see how I like it. I've actually never read a manga before, so it should be interesting.

I need to read Berserk. Gonna pick up volume 1 next week and see how I like it. I've actually never read a manga before, so it should be interesting.
Don't let the tone/Gut's character deter you from continuing; it gets a lot better around volume three.
It's also absolutely worth investing your time into, particularly the golden age arc.

Einchy

Even if you don't think it's all that good at the very start you should keep going. The main character is very different at the very start of the manga then he is later on.

Arizato

I'm pretty sure it's a new series, seeing as it's going to air on TV.

As for your second question, the movies and the original anime cover almost exactly the same material, although the third movie does cover a bit more of the ending (around 5 extra minutes or so). I should say that I haven't actually read much of the manga afterwards, so I don't know how much that actually matters, although it certainly seemed important. So that might be a bit confusing (assuming the new series won't recap the ending), but you certainly don't need to watch the entire movie trilogy.

I read a few chapters after the part of the manga where the anime ends. It seems really interesting, but I am more of a anime guy than manga guy, so this actually getting another adaptation is awesome.

Acerac

Banned
Looks great.

The wait for new Hunter X Hunter eps didn't let me down, I'm willing to have faith in this as well.

Acerac

Banned
God I'm lucky I don't care about this nonsense.

It's just as confusing to me as when people bitch about old video games because they are ugly.

Einchy

God I'm lucky I don't care about this nonsense.

It's just as confusing to me as when people bitch about old video games because they are ugly.

Yeah, caring about the visuals for an anime is 'nonsense'. I also think caring about a food's taste is nonsense, who eats food for the taste? Who watches anime for the style and animation quality?

Acerac

Banned
Yeah, caring about the visuals for an anime is 'nonsense'. I also think caring about a food's taste is nonsense, who eats food for the taste? Who watches anime for the style and animation quality?

Hey, maybe you put a more objective lens on it than I thought, but it seemed like many in the thread were just dismissing a perfectly valid artstyle based on seconds of footage.

Arizato

Hey, maybe you put a more objective lens on it than I thought, but it seemed like many in the thread were just dismissing a perfectly valid artstyle based on seconds of footage.

I think it is due to the fact that this is still an ongoing manga from the late 80's. People have high hopes on a high quality anime because this is so beloved by many people.

I don't think people would've cared as much if it was your average low-profile series.

Acerac

Banned
I think it is due to the fact that this is still an ongoing manga from the late 80's. People have high hopes on a high quality anime because this is so beloved by many people.

I don't think people would've cared as much if it was your average low-profile series.

No doubt, I'd be among those who would be horribly let down if this series I've followed for over a decade looked like shit. That said, crying that it is ruined because it is CG (as many in this thread have done) is just asinine.

The movies left me gunshy as well, but being defeatist isn't going to do anyone any good.

Reknoc

I was into it until Dropi showed up, then I got some pretty nasty Kingdom flashbacks. okay overall I guess I'll watch it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom