• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy IMPLODES: 400 Layoffs, 50 stores closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
Did I misread that? They're closing 50 stores but only laying off 8 employess per closed store? Or am I wrong?
For every store closed they are opening two mobile ones. Plus it's doubtful that any city is going to be losing all their Best Buys so I imagine they'll xfer employees too.

It looks like most if not all of the laid off employess are corporate, so they may not have in store layoffs for some reason.

ronito

For every store closed they are opening two mobile ones. Plus it's doubtful that any city is going to be losing all their Best Buys so I imagine they'll xfer employees too.

It looks like most if not all of the laid off employess are corporate, so they may not have in store layoffs for some reason.

Wow, goes to show you how much real estate they had out to be able to close 50 stores and only lay off 400.

The 400 looks like it's just corporate workers and does not include retail workers based on the actual announcement.

Specific actions intended to lower costs are expected to include:

The closure of 50 U.S. Best Buy big box stores in fiscal 2013.

Cost savings in corporate and support structure from IT services savings, procurement savings on non merchandise purchases, a reduction in outside consultant services and reduction of approximately 400 positions in our corporate and support areas.

Savings in cost of goods sold driven by reduction of product transition costs, lower product return and exchange expenses and supply chain efficiencies.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=83192&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1678071&highlight=

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
sad to admit, i was one of the many consumers that would go to Best Buy and mess with whatever i wanted to buy and while still there, got on Amazon on my phone and bought the merchandise....gonna miss the Amazon.com showroom floor.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
should have hired more girls. most girls working there had no clue about electronic devices. they knew the basics but they you wanted details, they could not help you.

they do have the best credit card on the other hand.

sad to admit, i was one of the many consumers that would go to Best Buy and mess with whatever i wanted to buy and while still there, got on Amazon on my phone and bought the merchandise....gonna miss the Amazon.com showroom floor.
I don't get why people did this.They never had anything I wanted in stock, or if they did, only one or two models of the product I wanted. Then I would go across the street to Office Depot and they would have 3 or more models at a cheaper price.

geebee

Banned
Actually, the closest Fry's here is kinda hostile toward it's customers. You're assumed to be a shoplifter. They set up the parking lot to have defined choke points to prevent fleeing. The "courtesy check" for your receipt isn't... they dig through your shit and ask you if you're sure you paid for everything.
If you completely ignore the employees, nothing will happen.

Hero

I did. They flat out refused because the 360 game case had one of those, "Don't sell before so and so date." It wasn't the same date as their advertising page.

Edit: lol - Let me correct myself, I did not punch the guy in the face BUT I did show the manager the ad.

Haha, gotcha. Usually in those cases they have signs about a discrepancy in the ad because the ads are done weeks/months before the actual week of the sales flyer so it is possible. If that was the case they should've explained it or at least had a sign up about it.

I've got news for you: everyone is scared shitless of Wal Mart. Everyone. Grocery stores. Pharmacies. You name it.

I agree to an extent. I live near one of the biggest "Super Wal-marts" on the East coast and while it does have a grocery/food section it still is no where near as filled like a dedicated grocery story. Best Buy deals solely in electronic items and while it's true Wal-mart doesn't have the selection of a BB brick and mortar, their prices are pretty competitive and the general populace won't care. BB is becoming increasingly irrelevant to most consumer.

LOL, (internet) Hero indeed.

Haha I don't really condone physical violence on retail people but it is true I don't take crap from them. You get their supervisor, their manager, their store manager, district manage, regional manager, etc. Go up that chain of command and eventually one of them will get so annoyed or frustrated that it's easier to give you what you want than for them to have their boss get bothered by you.

Shambles

Finally, sweet vindication. I've boycotted Best Buy (AKA Futureshop up north) for the past 7 years or so after being on the receiving end of their fraudulent practices. I also frequently try to get my friends and family to shop other places. The sooner this company dies the better off tech-ignorant masses will be.

If you completely ignore the employees, nothing will happen.

I haven't stopped for one of those pricks in years. I do stop for them in Costco though since it is a membership based system so it's not worth the hassle of a pissed off employee looking for an emotional release.

Husker86

Finally, sweet vindication. I've boycotted Best Buy (AKA Futureshop up north) for the past 7 years or so after being on the receiving end of their fraudulent practices. I also frequently try to get my friends and family to shop other places. The sooner this company dies the better off tech-ignorant masses will be.

I haven't stopped for one of those pricks in years. I do stop for them in Costco though since it is a membership based system so it's not worth the hassle of a pissed off employee looking for an emotional release.

It's also part of the membership agreement for Costco.

"One of those pricks". Classy.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Best Buy fucking sucks.

Their entire business model is based on preying on the ignorance of their customers. Gamestop too. Can't wait until Gamestop starts shedding customers as well.

JGS

Banned
Their business model is retail. All retail preys the ignorance of the customer. Amazon would love for you to one click on all types of crap.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Best Buy is OK in my book. Much better than my experience with Circuit City also for those CAG's BB has been throwing some awesome game deals as of late so it sucks that some stores are closing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
should have hired more girls. most girls people working there had no clue about electronic devices. they knew the basics but they you wanted details, they could not help you.

they do have the best credit card on the other hand.
fixed

Thing is, I can't think of a single big box retail chain where everyone was knowledgeable about the products being sold. I'm not even talking about deep, expert knowledge of specific products. No one I've spoken to knew what they were talking about at all.

Tenck

Amazon has been great to me so far. So much deals and I get my stuff the day after I order it and still comes out cheaper then buying it at Walmart or Best Buy. It's unfortunate news that people got laid off, but times are changing.

Terrible company. Every time I go into that store I get closer and closer to never going in there again.

I'm not particularly sad except for the employees that work there, it's not their fault.

mavs

I don't get why people did this.They never had anything I wanted in stock, or if they did, only one or two models of the product I wanted. Then I would go across the street to Office Depot and they would have 3 or more models at a cheaper price.

This is my problem with them. Best Buys are neatly laid out compared to Fry's but the selection isn't there. I don't see a way for BB to win against Amazon though.

xavi42

5-10 years from now all shopping will be done online. I think it's sad, it's nice to have retail buildings to go to. Also think of all those empty big boxes in the coming years, it will be a new urban wasteland. But hey it's what people seem to want.

d0c_zaius

I love Best Buy. I've never had a bad experience with them.

haha I have a bad experience every time I go, but they are closest.

Terrible company. Every time I go into that store I get closer and closer to never going in there again.

I'm not particularly sad except for the employees that work there, it's not their fault.

Actually most of the employees at my closest store suck, but for the most part I agree.

Every time I walk into BB they give me a reason not to want to purchase from them. Last time I walked in with a small bike bag and the guy told me I had to check it in with him. As this is going on a girl walks right by us with a giant purse that you could fit 3 laptops in and he says nothing. I straight up tell him unless he asks her to check that in I'm not giving up my bag. There was then an uncomfortable silence and he asked me for my bag again, and I straight up told him, I came here to buy something and your ruining this experience for me. He then caved and let me go on. I walked up to pick up the movie I wanted, realized it was 10 dollars more than Amazon and walked the fuck out. I'm ok with waiting 2 days for my movie, game, etc without having to pay those prices and deal with their employees. Good riddance.

They don't randomly check peoples bags. Security phones in people at the front, when they think they saw someone stealing on the security camera & they check/confirm as you leave.

fixed

Thing is, I can't think of a single big box retail chain where everyone was knowledgeable about the products being sold. I'm not even talking about deep, expert knowledge of specific products. No one I've spoken to knew what they were talking about at all.

I worked at Staples for a year in the "easy tech" department. I knew what I was talking about, and there were many others I worked with that knew a lot of what they were saying. Some just worked the job for extra money after their IT 9-5.

I even went and saved most of my customers some money by not trying to push the crap they want us to sell on them, people are a lot nicer in retail as long as both parties know what they're looking for and have at least some vague idea of what the product might be.

K701

Banned
Why is everyone hating on best buy? It's the best place to buy new (just released) electronics because of their awesome warranty. Have fun changing ur shit on amazon because of a dead pixel.

Vyer

Sometimes they have good blu ray deals.

I also was able to compare tvs thanks to their showroom.

Can't think of anything else I really use them for regularly.

Whose going to choose to pay higher prices and deal with annoying salesman when you can avoid both by going to amazon?

I am. I can't get stuff delivered to my house from amazon, because I have a job and I'm not home when they try to deliver it. They either throw it on my porch, and it gets stolen, or they leave it at a UPS center, which is much farther away to drive to than Best Buy. Some of the stuff I've gotten at amazon has arrived broken. I also like to test stuff out at Best Buy before I buy it. Does that answer your question?

I am. I can't get stuff delivered to my house from amazon, because I have a job and I'm not home when they try to deliver it. They either throw it on my porch, and it gets stolen, or they leave it at a UPS center, which is much farther away to drive to than Best Buy. Some of the stuff I've gotten at amazon has arrived broken. I also like to test stuff out at Best Buy before I buy it. Does that answer your question?

You could ship to your work. I have for certain items. Is it not a viable option for you?

Noirulus

When i need to buy something (because amazon.ca is garbage) i usually check for in-store stock online and walk over to the store to get it. Really convenient for me because its literally 5 min walking distance.

Fantasmo

$600 dollar HDMI cable "Reviews"

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQu...67646&id=1218245470758#tabbed-customerreviews

"This cable is simply out of this world. It will transform your movie viewing experience and your life. I used to pick up decent girls that were about a 5 or a 6 and after I've purchased this HDMI cable I've been dating super models. I have no idea what kind of metal is used to manufacture this cable but it must be an unknown element that does not exist on the periodic table as it has given the true powers, the power to attract stunning women. Just the other day I've noticed that my hair has grown fuller just above my forehead, my waistline went from a 38 down to a 31, grown bigger muscles in certain places, and the best of all is I'm already engaged to a hot young blonde girl who is filthy rich, all in a matter of two weeks. This cable get an 5/5 in all aspects because it will make you: beautiful, skinnier, and richer. I can't help it but share this amazing life-changing experience after I purchased this HDMI cable."

LMFAO!!!!!!!

This one's great too:

"Simply put - buy this cable and you will gain a third of what you were missing.
Also, if you are running your HDMI device through a receiver, you'll need two of these per component. I bought 28 of them, just as a precaution. I left 2 at the store, so I was kinda upset, but at this price I was able to just LOL at my mistake and move on."

sangreal

That sucks, I don't live in the best neighborhood and I've never had a package stolen. You can have instructions on file for where to leave packages. While Fedex puts them on my front doorstep, UPS brings them around back. UPS also lets you pick a delivery time if you sign up for mychoice

dmag1223

LMFAO!!!!!!!

This one's great too:

"Simply put - buy this cable and you will gain a third of what you were missing.
Also, if you are running your HDMI device through a receiver, you'll need two of these per component. I bought 28 of them, just as a precaution. I left 2 at the store, so I was kinda upset, but at this price I was able to just LOL at my mistake and move on."

Haha, the review where they guy said he had to save up for a long time because he worked at Wendy's so he could plug it in to his 37 inch Dynex had me in tears.

Why is everyone hating on best buy? It's the best place to buy new (just released) electronics because of their awesome warranty. Have fun changing ur shit on amazon because of a dead pixel.

Best Buy sucks, good luck getting hold of someone at Best Buy corporate when local stores shit all over you and local stores basically are their own kingdom, they do what they want and half the time don't even follow Best Buy policies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've returned an HDTV to Amazon without any issues at all. They've even given me refunds on non-returnable stuff. Their customer service is up there with Nintendo.

I worked at Staples for a year in the "easy tech" department. I knew what I was talking about, and there were many others I worked with that knew a lot of what they were saying. Some just worked the job for extra money after their IT 9-5.

I even went and saved most of my customers some money by not trying to push the crap they want us to sell on them, people are a lot nicer in retail as long as both parties know what they're looking for and have at least some vague idea of what the product might be.
Well, I didn't mean the entire chain. I meant specific stores that I've been to. I don't think they pay enough to keep guys like you and your former Staples co-workers around for long.

I've returned an HDTV to Amazon without any issues at all. They've even given me refunds on non-returnable stuff. Their customer service is up there with Nintendo.

Well, I didn't mean the entire chain. I meant specific stores that I've been to. I don't think they pay enough to keep guys like you and your former Staples co-workers around for long.

who's the girl in your avatar?

TheTowel

Actually, the closest Fry's here is kinda hostile toward it's customers. You're assumed to be a shoplifter. They set up the parking lot to have defined choke points to prevent fleeing. The "courtesy check" for your receipt isn't... they dig through your shit and ask you if you're sure you paid for everything.

Fry's is incredibly hostile. Buy a "brand new" motherboard and guess what, it's got finger prints on it. I have no idea how they haven't been sued to shit for repackaging goods and selling them as new.

There's almost a charm to Fry's. Dirty, hostile - an entire cesspool gathering under one roof to buy the daily sale. And yet we all still go, hoping to be lucky enough to buy the item which they advertised with 1/2 a page and only have 3 in stock.

smurfx

get some go again
Fry's is incredibly hostile. Buy a "brand new" motherboard and guess what, it's got finger prints on it. I have no idea how they haven't been sued to shit for repackaging goods and selling them as new.

There's almost a charm to Fry's. Dirty, hostile - an entire cesspool gathering under one roof to buy the daily sale. And yet we all still go, hoping to be lucky enough to buy the item which they advertised with 1/2 a page and only have 3 in stock.
i love fry's and the girls that work at my local fry's are hot.

Jhriad

Don't you touch my Best Buy or their amazing game deals! It's pretty much my sole source for games with the super discounting they've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom