• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fighting game rivals ?

Your favorite fighting game rivals ?

• Ryu & Ken (Street Fighter)

Votes: 51 57.3%
  • Scorpion & Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Kazuya & Jin (Tekken)

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Kyo & Iori (The King of Fighters)

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Terry & Geese (Fatal Fury)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Ryo & Robert (Art of Fighting)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Haohmaru & Genjuro (Samurai Shodown)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sol & Ky (Guilty Gear)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Ragna & Jin (Blazblue)

• Hyde & Seth (Uniel)

• Mitsurugi & Taki (Soul Calibur)

• Hanzo & Fuuma (World Heroes)

• Fulgore & Jago (Killer Instinct)

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Friends, rivals, deadly enemies! It doesn't matter, what matters is the duo's rivalry!

Of course, there are thousands of fighting games and it would be impossible to do a poll. But I chose the best-known games and the best-known rivals! I'll try to avoid games like DBFZ for... reasons...lol

images

Vote and comment if possible, this will help the topic not fall apart! lol :D

Last edited:

Fahdis

I was gonna choose MK but then Ryu and Ken rivlary is what has inspired so many... an American underdog that thinks about his past time with his Japanese friend from back in the day more than his wife ...

... It's more than a bromance. It's obsession at this point.

Many of these choices have no rivalry left. My choices:

1. Heihachi vs. Kazuya (Tekken) - After being thrown off a cliff by an abusive father, the son forges a pact with the devil to survive and exact his vengeance.
maxresdefault.jpg

2. Vega vs. Chun Li (Street Fighter) - In a first for the assassin, Vega's murder attempt on Chun Li ended with his face being destroyed and him flying out of a highrise.
Street-Fighter-II-The-Movie-Chun-Li-vs-Vega.jpg

3. Ayane vs. Kasumi (Dead or Alive) - The Mugen Tenshin Clan head family's disowned daughter pursues the clan heiress gone rogue.
maxresdefault.jpg

4. Kano vs. Sonya (Mortal Kombat) - The Black Dragon's head hancho formed an obsession with the female agent continuously pursuing him for almost killing her partner.
0dc50016ff144ea6d9be4f54a32ec663.jpg

5. Pai Chan vs. Lei Fei (Virtua Fighter) - On his organization's orders Lei Fei attempted to kill Lau only to be defeated by his daughter, Pai.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Pejo

Those were legitimately tough choices you gave in the poll. Ultimately I picked Sol/Ky because of the pre-match special intros bullshit being so cool, and (I think) Guilty Gear did it first.

NT80

Ryu vs Sagat is the most iconic rivalry for me. Ryu vs Ken is just two guys who came up in the same dojo and doesn't have the bloodthirsty intensity of the Ryu Sagat rivalry. Sagat's quest for revenge against the person that toppled him from the top is something else. They even used that huge scar he sustained as a power up mechanic in later games.

Many of these choices have no rivalry left. My choices:

1. Heihachi vs. Kazuya (Tekken) - After being thrown off a cliff by an abusive father, the son forges a pact with the devil to survive and exact his vengeance.
maxresdefault.jpg

2. Vega vs. Chun Li (Street Fighter) - In a first for the assassin, Vega's murder attempt on Chun Li ended with his face being destroyed and him flying out of a highrise.
Street-Fighter-II-The-Movie-Chun-Li-vs-Vega.jpg

3. Ayane vs. Kasumi (Dead or Alive) - The Mugen Tenshin Clan head family's disowned daughter pursues the clan heiress gone rogue.
maxresdefault.jpg

4. Kano vs. Sonya (Mortal Kombat) - The Black Dragon's head hancho formed an obsession with the female agent continuously pursuing him for almost killing her partner.
0dc50016ff144ea6d9be4f54a32ec663.jpg

5. Pai Chan vs. Lei Fei (Virtua Fighter) - On his organization's orders Lei Fei attempted to kill Lau only to be defeated by his daughter, Pai.
hqdefault.jpg

What u talking about ?
Every game has its internal vendettas/rivalry, u want a poll with 10.000 options?

And i already said in this very thread i had to choose between Heihachi and Jin...One rivalry per game.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Kaz and Jin? Wtf. It's kaz and heihachi.

Indeed. Jin didn't even get involved until Tekken 8. In Tekken 4 he was kidnapped by the Tekken Force. In Tekken 5, his fight was with Jinpachi. In Tekken 6 he became a criminal warlord to fight Azazel. In Tekken 7 he was literally knocked the fuck out the entire time.

Retention of Mishima Zaibatsu
T1 - Heihachi v Kaz (Kaz W)
T2 - Heihachi v Kaz (Hei W)
T3 - Ogre v Jin (Heihachi as an antagonist) (Jin W but Fucks Off so Hei Retains)
T4 - Heihachi and Kaz (Jin W but Fucks Off again so Hei Retains)
T5 - Heihachi and Kaz (T5 Intro) which switches to Jin and Jinpachi (Jin W)
T6 - Jin and Azazel (No W, Hei busy Training, Kazuya building G Corp)
T7 - Heihachi and Kaz (Hei Retains again - Kaz W)
T8 - Jin and Kaz (Jin W)

Tally
Heihachi: 4
Kazuya: 2
Jin: 2
Jinpachi: 1

The fuck is up with Harada, we now have the following:
Mishima Zaibatsu - Original (Kuma)
Mishima Zaibatsu - Loyalists (Kazuya)
Mishima Zaibatsu - Splinter Yggdrasil (Lars)
The Syndicate - Nina
G Corporation - Kazuya
Violet Systems - Lee
Manji Clan - Yoshimitsu
Archers of Sirius - Claudio
Rochefort Enterprises - Lili
U.N. - Victor

It's getting convoluted as fuck!

Jin hates his father and vice-versa.
I had to decide and that's it.

I know very well the Tekken lore, maybe my hype for T8 story mode influenced me a bit!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Goku vs Vegeta was real, remember Vegeta was on a real short leash up until the tournament of power in Dbs (Majin).

Can't decide between Son Goku & Vegeta or Son Goku & Piccolo

Goku vs Piccolo was GREAT. Let’s just take their first battles in DB it’s one of those rivalries that made a big difference in the long run.

goku GIF

Top Bottom