• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Overall Sound Design

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I'm kinda shocked and mad Alien Isolation isn't mentioned here?

That game's sound design is UNMATCHED to this day

Meme Day GIF

Metal Gear Solid 5 for me.

Everything from the Menu/UI sounds, gameplay related sounds (Guns, footsteps, explosions, so on), the incredibly useful sound cues, the tapes you can listen to with music or story related conversations/monologues, have a particular sound to them that makes them more enjoyable to listen to.

Playing MGS 5 with headphones is a experience on its own.
This might be a weird one but I find even menus in MGSV and Death Stranding to be part of the enjoyable gameplay. The confirmation sounds and all those little sfx are oddly satisfying. Navigating menus in DS especially feels really good and I can't explain why but maybe it is the sound design.

In general, Kojima games have always had incredible sound design now that you mentioned it.

The wind rustling through your "ears" when sprinting in MGSV is an insanely cool touch that made me wonder why the hell nobody had done that before.

This might be a weird one but I find even menus in MGSV and Death Stranding to be part of the enjoyable gameplay. The confirmation sounds and all those little sfx are oddly satisfying. Navigating menus in DS especially feels really good and I can't explain why but maybe it is the sound design.
100%. You know it was done well, when something as simple as going in and out of a menu section, feels really good. And I think it was totally intentional, cuz management is a big part of that game. You spend quite a bit of time in menus. So making exploring it feel satisfying, I imagine was something the devs were actively considering.
The wind rustling through your "ears" when sprinting in MGSV is an insanely cool touch that made me wonder why the hell nobody had done that before.
The heavy breathing too! Running feels super intense in that game.
I could talk about it for 2 hours lol, just about the general sound design of the running alone.

Like you said, Kojima games do really put sound design way up there in their priorities.

100%. You know it was done well, when something as simple as going in and out of a menu section, feels really good. And I think it was totally intentional, cuz management is a big part of that game. You spend quite a bit of time in menus. So making exploring it feel satisfying, I imagine was something the devs were actively considering.

The heavy breathing too! Running feels super intense in that game.
I could talk about it for 2 hours lol, just about the general sound design of the running alone.

Like you said, Kojima games do really put sound design way up there in their priorities.
I used to intern at a recording studio on the weekends in my 20s. I can nerd the fuck OUT about sound design 😂

It's even more painful though then when amazing games like Dishonored 2 seemingly had a person with shit in their ears on the mix.

P.Jack

Hellblade has the best use of headphone audio in any game I’ve played, that shit could make you go insane. Makes me wonder why binaural recording isn’t used more, especially nowadays when most people have headphones.

Top Bottom