• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best sentence in a video game ever?

GhaleonEB

Most of the ones I had in mind have been mentioned, so I'll just toss in the one that's affected me the most, recently.

"I think I know why father left the dagger."

Context: Skyrim, Frostflow Lighthouse.

A family - husband, wife, couple of girls - moves to Skyrim so the parents can retire and watch the glaciers drift by the northern coast. Falmer tunnel into the basement and abduct them at night. In many ways it's a fairly typical quest of exploring a location that spills into some tunnels, and finding notes detailing what happened to the former owners of the place.

But the details are fucking brutal. The kids didn't want to move, they were happy where they had been raised, and hated the cold. The mother didn't want to either, but just wanted her husband to retire happy. The father has this dream of living out retirement there, and having his remains placed in the beacon fire of the lighthouse so he can watch them go by, with his wife, forever. Romantic shit.

One daughter is found near the entrance of the cave, where she'd broken away and started to climb, only to be skewered by a Falmer dagger. Further in, we find the cave is a breeding pen for the giant insects the Falmer raise for materials. There's a pen where the rest of the family was kept, to be fed to the insect matron deep in the cave. They were taken one at a time, leaving the younger daughter and the father. Later, the father is taken, and the daughter leaves behind a note scrawled in blood explaining what happened to him, as he fought while being hauled away. She ends the note with, "I think I know why father left the dagger,".

She'd dead in the pen, wrists cut, the note nearly unreadable as it's covered in blood. The father had to choose from using a weapon to fight what he knew would be a losing battle, or leave it behind so his young daughter could take her own life, knowing that choice was forced upon them because he'd brought them here. He's fed, alive, to the big bug, his only comfort being that she might not be.

As an unmarked coda, we can find the father's remains inside the big bug matron, and place them in the lighthouse beacon fire, as he'd once hoped.

Skyrim isn't known of its writing, but that place just destroys me.

Althane

Most of the ones I had in mind have been mentioned, so I'll just toss in the one that's affected me the most, recently.

A family - husband, wife, couple of girls - moves to Skyrim so the parents can retire and watch the glaciers drift by the northern coast. Falmer tunnel into the basement and abduct them at night. In many ways it's a fairly typical quest of exploring a location that spills into some tunnels, and finding notes detailing what happened to the former owners of the place.

But the details are fucking brutal. The kids didn't want to move, they were happy where they had been raised, and hated the cold. The mother didn't want to either, but just wanted her husband to retire happy. The father has this dream of living out retirement there, and having his remains placed in the beacon fire of the lighthouse so he can watch them go by, with his wife, forever. Romantic shit.

One daughter is found near the entrance of the cave, where she'd broken away and started to climb, only to be skewered by a Falmer dagger. Further in, we find the cave is a breeding pen for the giant insects the Falmer raise for materials. There's a pen where the rest of the family was kept, to be fed to the insect matron deep in the cave. They were taken one at a time, leaving the younger daughter and the father. Later, the father is taken, and the daughter leaves behind a note scrawled in blood explaining what happened to him, as he fought while being hauled away. She ends the note with, "I think I know why father left the dagger,".

She'd dead in the pen, wrists cut, the note nearly unreadable as it's covered in blood. The father had to choose from using a weapon to fight what he knew would be a losing battle, or leave it behind so his young daughter could take her own life, knowing that choice was forced upon them because he'd brought them here. He's fed, alive, to the big bug, his only comfort being that she might not be.

As an unmarked coda, we can find the father's remains inside the big bug matron, and place them in the lighthouse beacon fire, as he'd once hoped.

It says something that I last played Skyrim 5-ish years ago (haven't played it since grad school, so within the few months of when it came out), but I knew exactly what you were talking about when you said it was the lighthouse.

That shit was dark. Felt good slaughtering the Falmer.

akumu

wolfknife-e1401900886498.png

One thing that's important for a piece of dialog is not only to have it be witty, but there also needs to be great build-up to it as well

The build up to this moment, and the pay-off is the absolute best that I've seen in a video game.

I'll admit this sounds good. Does the New Order have more of these moments? Just asking out of curiousity, as I don't want to sit through a 5 hour campaign only to see one good one-liner :p

I'll admit this sounds good. Does the New Order have more of these moments? Just asking out of curiousity, as I don't want to sit through a 5 hour campaign only to see one good one-liner :p

Oh you have no idea, the game is terrific in terms of dialogue and story. This is just one line near the start of the game, but a lot of other posters have posted different dialogue from this game in the thread too.

Definitely worth playing if you enjoy a game with a well-crafted story and characters. Doesn't hurt that the gameplay is incredibly fun too!

Electret

TNO is a masterpiece, and the story, writing, and characters are big reasons why.

Neptonic

BJ Blazkowicz is both the biggest meathead and greatest poet in all of video games. Deep self reflections about the nature of humanity in war, followed by sick and memorable one liners as you murder some nazis.
Fucking amazing game.

akumu

Oh you have no idea, the game is terrific in terms of dialogue and story. This is just one line near the start of the game, but a lot of other posters have posted different dialogue from this game in the thread too.

Definitely worth playing if you enjoy a game with a well-crafted story and characters. Doesn't hurt that the gameplay is incredibly fun too!

TNO is a masterpiece, and the story, writing, and characters are big reasons why.

Well, thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it!

BJ Blazkowicz is both the biggest meathead and greatest poet in all of video games. Deep self reflections about the nature of humanity in war, followed by sick and memorable one liners as you murder some nazis.
Fucking amazing game.

This especially intrigues me. I do enjoy games that give the player some food for thought (even just a little bit)! Gonna add this to my backlog right away.

Dead Man

Wolfenstein New Order when that lady was talking about being paralyzed.

BJ: I'm sorry about your legs
Lady: Don't be; I've learned how to fly

*cue epic music*

Fuck yes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DbOtpxxPME&t=15m30s

Fucking amazing game.

Yup. Amazing voice acting too.

Spladam

It says something that I last played Skyrim 5-ish years ago (haven't played it since grad school, so within the few months of when it came out), but I knew exactly what you were talking about when you said it was the lighthouse.

That shit was dark. Felt good slaughtering the Falmer.

Same, it's been about 2 years since I've played it, but I still remember that quest, it was really dark. I believe there is an achievement on console for it, I played it on PC, but I saw a lighthouse quest achievement show up on my friends enhanced edition play through.

Van Bur3n

Fallout is full of many great lines throughout the series, as one post I saw noted. However, sometimes, the best lines from Fallout were dialogue options from the player character themselves. Especially ones hidden behind special (literally, in Fallout's case) stats, skills, or perks.

RTLmg8H.jpg

Fallout is full of many great lines throughout the series, as one post I saw noted. However, sometimes, the best lines from Fallout were dialogue options from the player character themselves. Especially ones hidden behind special (literally, in Fallout's case) stats, skills, or perks.

RTLmg8H.jpg

Holy crap, I learn something new about NV every day.

Best game ever.

CALLOFKTUTLU

Neo Member
Kreia had so many from KOTOR 2
"I cannot force you to listen to reason, only hope that you will grow past these infantile delusions of right and wrong."

"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

"You must understand. I did not wish the Jedi dead. Defeated... perhaps. I merely wished them to see that they and their teachings were wrong. That one could not truly understand the Force simply by adhering to the Jedi Code."

You're forgetting the most memorable quote from Halo 2.

"There are those who said this day would never come....what are they to say now?"

"Dear Humanity... we regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to Earth. And we most definitely regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy-ass fleet!"

This post tells the story better than the game does.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself... That is coffee." - Godot (Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations)

Godot in general has a lot if great lines, but that is easily the most memorable.

Top Bottom