• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best ver. of games during the Gamecube, PS2 and X-Box era

G0523

GC has the best exclusive character. That said I do think the PS2 pad is better suited to the game.
hqdefault.jpg
The GameCube version is the best version.

Timu

Pardon the bump but I've been thinking about the 2005 Ultiamte Spiderman game and am curious to know which is the better version of the game.
They're all in 480i, yes, even Xbox, so it's hard to say. Wouldn't be surprised if Xbox was the best version though still despite that.

squarealex

They're all in 480i, yes, even Xbox, so it's hard to say. Wouldn't be surprised if Xbox was the best version though still despite that.

It's possible the Xbox version run on 480p internally and output on 480i when the PS2 run on true 480i and ouput on 480i...

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Crash Wrath of Cortex is better on Xbox and Gamecube. The PS2 loading times were ATROCIOUS.

This was only somewhat fixed in the Greatest hits release on PS2 later on.

rjc571

Banned
Crash Wrath of Cortex is better on Xbox and Gamecube. The PS2 loading times were ATROCIOUS.

This was only somewhat fixed in the Greatest hits release on PS2 later on.

GC version is an unplayable mess, bouncing back and forth between 20 and 30 fps while the PS2 version runs at 60 fps at all times.

Castef

Banned
NBA Street:
Xbox (better performance overall) > PS2 > Gamecube (the missing button lead to worse control scheme, NOT bypassable by adapters).

arigato

PS2 had little technical issues in comparison, yet it contained an extra character as Dante.

To me, PS2 version was better.
That's good to know so thanks. Whiplash from what I've played and read from reviews is that the general consensus was that the Xbox version was best. I'm still waiting on a sequel to Whiplash. :/

Castef

Banned
Also, the difference in Project Snowblind's versions was remarkable between PlayStation 2 and Xbox, with the latter being more fluid and, overall, playable. (still, I consider it the best FPS experience on PS2, along with the Timesplitters games).

In addition, there was Red Faction 2 which ran very, very well on Xbox and took performance hits on PlayStation 2 (especially in multiplayer).

Also, Summoner 2: GCN >>> PS2.

BFIB

As others have stated, Splinter Cell was the real standout to me. I played through it on GameCube, but rebought it when I finally picked up an X-Box. It was a pretty significant difference.

The other big difference I saw was on the MVP baseball series. X-Box had a lot better sound and did not stutter like the PS2 could do.

Raife

For SSX 3 I would say PS2. The button layout was perfect for that controller. The Xbox version had some grabs mapped to the white and black buttons and to tweak a grab was on the same button that was one of the grabs so there were times where if you held it too long your character wouldn't let go in time and you would crash. The GC version was just missing certain tricks at any given time. You had to go into the menu and remap some buttons, but then would lose access to other tricks. The graphics bump with GC and XBOX wasn't worth the loss of control. The game was designed to be played with four shoulder buttons.

Gitaroo

Silent hill 2 was the best on ps2. I used to get every consoles only multi platform game on xbox just because I can save on harddrive lol.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The Sims on console

51V730KSDPL._SY445_.jpg

I remember this vividly. The d-pad on the Dualshock 2 was preferable to the one on the GC and Xbox pads for a menu-heavy game like this, sure, but the game looked far better on GC and Xbox.
I think it might have even run at a lower internal resolution on PS2, but it definitely looked worse in general and this game was not a looker.

Xbox > GameCube >>> PS2

There was no file size issue or online play causing cut content on GC either.

Isn't MM X Collection compatible with 240p out on GameCube/Wii? Why is the PS2 one considered better, other than matching the SNES button layout on a PS2 pad?
Or is there something else missing/downgraded on the Cube version?

Timu

Isn't MM X Collection compatible with 240p out on GameCube/Wii? Why is the PS2 one considered better, other than matching the SNES button layout on a PS2 pad?
Gamecube version doesn't do 240p, the PS2 version does 240p for all games(menus are in 480i).

KyleCross

Does emulating change factors at all, for example would emulated Killer7 on PCSX2 and on Dolphin be pretty identical unlike native hardware?

Timu

For SSX 3 I would say PS2. The button layout was perfect for that controller. The Xbox version had some grabs mapped to the white and black buttons and to tweak a grab was on the same button that was one of the grabs so there were times where if you held it too long your character wouldn't let go in time and you would crash. The GC version was just missing certain tricks at any given time. You had to go into the menu and remap some buttons, but then would lose access to other tricks. The graphics bump with GC and XBOX wasn't worth the loss of control. The game was designed to be played with four shoulder buttons.
Yeah I need to get the PS2 version of that game.

ss_lemonade

Has Wreckless Yakuza been mentioned? I've only seen the Xbox version but I can't imagine the others looking even close visually. That game looked next gen to me

Timu

Has Wreckless Yakuza been mentioned? I've only seen the Xbox version but I can't imagine the others looking even close visually. That game looked next gen to me
I don't think it has, and yes, it looks quite better than the PS2 and Gamecube versions.

LewieP

For what it's worth, there is a mod for the GC version now that lets you swap the buttons around.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Outside a few exceptions, the PS2 version was always the inferior one.

Outside a few exceptions, the Xbox version was always the best one.

Top Bottom