• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda designer comments on decision to have more than 100 solar systems "Making hundreds of them isnt that much of extra work"

Draugoth

Gold Member
designer-da-bethesda-comenta-sobre-decisao-de-ter-mais-de-100-sistemas-solares-098611.jpg

Having recently appeared on the MinnMax podcast, former Bethesda designer Bruce Nesmith was asked about the decision for limited exploration. Although he initially suggested making just a few dozen, he says the studio used the logic that once you create a solar system, it's easy to replicate and create hundreds of them.

There was a lot of discussion about the scope of Starfield. At one point I said, "I bet this game would be a lot better if we restricted ourselves to about 20 solar systems." However, a very legitimate point has been made that once you make one solar system, making 100 of them isn't that much extra work.

You have to know how to create a planet, so that people can walk around it. You have to have various objects, shape lives to interact with, rocks, all of that. You have the ice worlds, the crater worlds. You have to have all this variety. Just by making our own solar system, all that variety, you've done 90% of the work for the rest [of the systems].

According to Bruce, the same was true for planets. Once Bethesda created the right formula on one planet, it was enough to apply the same process to hundreds of planets spread across all solar systems.

Todd basically pulled the number 100 for the number of solar systems out of thin air. All the major activities happen in these 20 solar systems and the rest is open space, but people love our huge games, they love this open area to explore. So let's give it to them.

So it came down to "How do we make exploration meaningful?" And again, you only have to succeed on one planet, once you get the formula right, you have the formula for all the planets.

Bruce says development comes down to choices. Instead of giving players complete freedom in space, she preferred to choose to focus on other parts, such as creating ships.

The designer states that they could have given some ready-made ships for players to acquire throughout the game, but they preferred to bring a complex creation system. Bruce says she was very happy with the excellent reception the creator had in the community, as it was one of the aspects she worked on before leaving the studio.

You have to make hard choices and I think some of the exploration elements didn't do as well as they could have because they decided to make other choices. And make no mistake, every studio on the planet knows the choices they are making. They know what players will complain about.Studios know 90% of the bugs that games are released with, they're just backed up against the wall. The same goes for game functions.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
The issue is that Starfield doesn’t create planets. They create basic a game based interpretation of what a planet looks like given their very limited engine.

Not even the planets in our solar system are good representations of their real life counterparts.

killatopak

Based on what I've seen, there was more diversity on Daggerfall dungeons than Starfield planets and that say a lot when both games used procedurally generated content with a gap of 20 years.

I've seen more diversity in tile changes on D2 LoD than SF. It's simply too common in SF to find the same outpost layout with the same number of enemies with the same loot location.

I accepted procedurally generated planets but at least don't make it obvious you're only using like a dozen variations.

Saber

Gold Member
Of course not. Most procedurally generated, whats the work there?

Last edited:
Todd basically pulled the number 100 for the number of solar systems out of thin air. All the major activities happen in these 20 solar systems and the rest is open space, but people love our huge games, they love this open area to explore. So let's give it to them...

you sure it was 'thin air'? cuz i was thinking he pulled that number from out of somewhere else...

Last edited:

T-0800

Bruce says development comes down to choices. Instead of giving players complete freedom in space, she preferred to choose to focus on other parts, such as creating ships.

The designer states that they could have given some ready-made ships for players to acquire throughout the game, but they preferred to bring a complex creation system. Bruce says she was very happy with the excellent reception the creator had in the community, as it was one of the aspects she worked on before leaving the studio.

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF

Pimpbaa

Planets themselves can sometimes look good. But the lack of procedural generation of animals and vegetation kinda sucks. They are all premade just like the bases, and repeat quite often. Also I think I would have MUCH more preferred freedom in space over ship building.

Lunarorbit

Based on what I've seen, there was more diversity on Daggerfall dungeons than Starfield planets and that say a lot when both games used procedurally generated content with a gap of 20 years.

I've seen more diversity in tile changes on D2 LoD than SF. It's simply too common in SF to find the same outpost layout with the same number of enemies with the same loot location.

I accepted procedurally generated planets but at least don't make it obvious you're only using like a dozen variations.
This is what I've seen and read in tons of criticisms. I don't know how they expected people to play this game for years like skyrim.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If you want a completely virus free OS, you're best off sticking to the good old abacus :p
I can't watch Eva Elfie on that 😛

Jokes apart though, I have used both Windows and Macs for years, and Macs are just built so well. Lots of awesome apps, excellent synergy between HW and SW, everything is so efficient. I can't work on Windows now; it just feels ancient compared to OSX to me.

killatopak

This is what I've seen and read in tons of criticisms. I don't know how they expected people to play this game for years like skyrim.
I think the answer is pretty obvious and its the same thing lifting the heavy weight from Skyrim. It's mods. The difference I guess is that the base design around Skyrim is a lot easier to work with and has small enough scope to have impact. It would take a lot more work for SF mods to truly become game changing.

As an example of scope, it's alot easier for newer hardware to make Open Cities where the whole map is loaded minus the dungeons and make it have no loading screen than have a galaxy have no loading screen.

Another problem is hardware. The reason Skyrim mods are thriving is because the game is already 12 years old. That's 12 years of tech advancement that allows more performance heavy mods to work. In SF, you already have Todd telling you to upgrade your PC to make the base game look decent. It would realistically take 12 years for Starfield modding to reach the same impact of the current modding scene on Skyrim.

Another is issue is updates. This plagued Skyrim as well as recent as the Anniversary release. Modders actually begged Bethesda not to rerelease Skyrim and update the game cause it actually breaks mods. A lot of people who actually want to mod Starfield are just waiting for a stable version to mod and not deal with update shenanigans.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Bethesda really has a hard on procedurally generated stuff. They even make their hand made stuff so bad it’s indistinguishable from the generated elements…

I honestly didn’t visit more than a handful of planets that I didn’t have to. Such a waste of time. Mass Effect did it so much better. Everything is unique.

I fully understand doing things in an easy way, to tick some boxes about "content" and game length, but it also shows in probably every larger game. There is way too much fluff in many games today, especially anything open world. Practically all sidequests get repeated over and over and if there is even some sort of backstory it is written by some C-tier writer that should not be allowed near a keyboard.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
At least there should have been colors variation for its land and sky box etc

God damn they went for straight up gray desolation everywhere you can almost smell the dust and loneliness.

Top Bottom