• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda is being extremely shady about The Evil Within's PC framerate

Bethesda? Yeah, it's the worst case scenario.

You shouldn't make such absolutes, because then someone could say what about a game at 10 FPS?

Well, sure there are limits but I really couldn't say it would sway me to purchase or not purchase a game. I worry more about the game itself and not the frames per second.

legacyzero

Banned
thats not the part he doesnt get. its the part where someone would rather not play the game AT ALL because its not the version that doesnt exist

edit: that is of course, if a 60fps version doesnt exist. which we dont know

Or maybe they're simply voting with their wallet? People do that.

sn00zer

I forgot to go in depth into this for the OP, but Tango heavily modified the IdTech 5 engine to allow for 30 FPS output.

Prior ID5 games were locked to 60 FPS, any deviation from this would cause issues as the game was directly tied to the framerate. Potentially terrible ramifications if the game is permanently locked to 30 FPS at this point.

Yep.

This makes me wonder even more why they would use the engine to begin with

-MD-

Locked 30FPS is unacceptable on PC. Fuck any lazy ass developers who do that shit.

Most people don't play games on PC for the sake of having ridiculous tech limits forced onto them.

What is there to not get? Supporting 30fps locks on PC is not something many people want to do. I probably wouldn't even pick it up at $5-10 if it was 30fps locked on PC.

I agree that 30fps is ridiculous on a PC game but the part I don't get is that people come off as if they're going to just forget the game exists because it's 30fps. I like 60fps as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna skip a game because of it, especially if it's the only option available.

In any case, I just wish Bethesda would open their fucking mouths and tell us already, I'd rather not see threads like this leading up to launch.

Edit: I tweeted or twittered or whatever people call it, what a dumb website name.

Nethaniah

Well, sure there are limits but I really couldn't say it would sway me to purchase or not purchase a game. I worry more about the game itself and not the frames per second.

Something that directly affects the playability of the game does not bother you? Ok then.

What is there to not get? Supporting 30fps locks on PC is not something many people want to do. I probably wouldn't even pick it up at $5-10 if it was 30fps locked on PC.

Really, don't you think you're exaggerating here a bit?

What if the game turns out to be a solid experience, not even $5 would sway you?

Keep in mind that I know jack shit about PC gaming.

Isn't one of the benefits of PC gaming is that the Frame Rate and resolutions can be upgraded to some pointless levels?

Shrugs...

I thought this would be more a issue with the console versions.

Renekton

Even if you don't give a shit it's still pretty stupid they seem to be purposefully avoiding the subject.
Given the insanely large permutations of CPU, GPU, driver, RAM, OS, resident programs, capture, etc for PC... it's hard to nail down a guarantee.

Devs either overshoot for safety (Shadow of Mordor), be purposefully vague, or be near-exact but get burned because some rigs with that baseline don't meet the expected FPS.

Gumbie

Keep in mind that I know jack shit about PC gaming.

Isn't one of the benefits of PC gaming is that the Frame Rate and resolutions can be upgraded to some pointless levels?

Shrugs...

I thought this would be more a issue with the console versions.

Developers can still lock the FPS if they choose. Need for Speed Rivals was the latest one to do this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure what's unreasonable about the responses in OP. Seems pretty typical and inoffensive, especially when it comes to optimizing for PC. What would be criminal is if system specs/benchmarks came out after release.

legacyzero

Banned
I agree that 30fps is ridiculous on a PC game but the part I don't get is that people come off as if they're going to just forget the game exists because it's 30fps. I like 60fps as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna skip a game because of it, especially if it's the only option available.

In any case, I just wish Bethesda would open their fucking mouths and tell us already, I'd rather not see threads like this leading up to launch.

I agree, but I know I wouldn't be as hyped for the game if it locked to 30.

But yeah, you'd think Bethesda would want to ....avoid this debate..... >.>

I'm a little tired of the framerate/resolution nitpickery happening this gen to be honest. I mean locked 30 is perfectly playable. 60 is great but I'm not gonna passon a game iI'm actually interested in over it.

I'm fine with whatever on consoles. You do what you gotta do to get the game you want running on the consoles. On PC... there's no excuse for it. Has nothing to do with this generation. Locked frame-rate and resolutions on PC was unacceptable last gen also.

Derp

Don't worry guys, I'm sure the PC version is locked at 30 to avoid "debates and stuff". It's for a great cause.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Or maybe they're simply voting with their wallet? People do that.

sure. and they are still not playing a game they wanted to play in the first place. just like I think that saying "I cant even see the difference between 30 and 60fps" is ridiculous, I also think saying "30fps is unplayable" just as ridiculous

game looks awesome in trailers and videos. Do I want it at 60fps? fuck yes I do, hell Im buying a new rig very soon to run games like this. Would I all of a sudden stop wanting to play the game ive been seeing on trailers just because it runs on the same frame rate as a console? fuck no

Teremap

Banned
Oh, I'm with you there, but really, I don't give a shit what someone else does with their money. If they wanna boycott because of a bullshit framerate cap on PC then all the more power to them. No skin off my back.

Considering how the hardcore responds whenever the issue of 'parity' comes up, I'm not surprised he's ducking the issue. Why not stave off the flood of tweets and posts about pc users being cheated and console hindering pc development for as long as possible?

Corpekata

Banned
Given the insanely large permutations of CPU, GPU, driver, RAM, OS, resident programs, capture, etc for PC... it's hard to nail down a guarantee. You either overshoot for safety (Shadow of Mordor) or be purposefully vague.

Nobody is really asking for a guarantee. Just asking if the game is restricted or not. That's not something that needs a ton of variables to answer, especially a week from release.

BLunted

Banned

What if the game turns out to be a solid experience, not even $5 would sway you?

I wouldn't. Sometimes you need to show some backbone and stand up for your principles.

I wont let some dev lock me down while I have hardware capable of running it much better than their imposed limits. Two Words. Fuck 'um.

nbthedude

I want PC games to have good options, like the ones Durante mentions in his PC gamer article. But I also want more Japanese developers to support the platform day and date.

So my solution is buy these games, support them, but also ask that they start being more conscientious of these sorts of options. Boycotting their games does nothing to solve the problem in my opinion.

Worse comes to worse, I'm pretty sure my i7 and Geforce 780 will run this better than my PS4.

Okay, so they expect me to have 4 gigs of vram and won't tell me if it'll be 30 or 60 on PC.

I only have 2 gigs.

Guess I'll just pick it up on PS4 and buy for PC during the inevitable sale...

Gbraga

Aren't the 60fps id5 games limited to 60 too though? When we're all gaming on 120hz monitors, this shit will feel limited as well.

My point being, if idtech5 so far only worked at 60, it would make sense that, when they alter the engine to work at 30, it would only work at 30.

It sucks, but some times there's not really an option. The Naruto games for example have their animations tied to the framerate, so if it runs below 30 it'll slow down, and if it runs over, it'll speed up, so, while 30fps still sucks, it's either that or not having those games on PC at all.

Anyone settling for a locked fps cap on pc, yeah, ridiculous.

30fps can't give a solid experience.

The original post was talking about spending $5 on a game later on, that's not settling, that's waiting and getting it for dirt cheap.

And yes, many games through out gaming history have been 30FPS and have still been a solid experience. If for some reason the PC is locked at 30FPS I'm sure if everything else about the game is great, it's still a great game.

Pretty much, that game ran like shit.

:lol, carry on.

Some people (not me!) are extremelly sensitive to frame rates and refuse to play racing games or whatever that are 30fps. That's their choice.

With a lowly 2 gig 670, there's next to know chance I'd be able to dream of running this at 60fps anyway but a big part of the appeal of buying games on PC is that they are "future proofed". Hell, if there's a 60fps option and performance is abysmal with top of the line hardware it should be included anyway. These kinds of arbitrary restrictions shit me off big time.

That said, unless a port is borderline broken/seriously borked I wouldn't pass up a game I'm interested in. I will be taking a "wait and see" approach with this game, because I'm concerned if performance will be at an acceptable level.

Grief.exe

Edit: I tweeted or twittered or whatever people call it, what a dumb website name.

sure. and they are still not playing a game they wanted to play in the first place. just like I think that saying "I cant even see the difference between 30 and 60fps" is ridiculous, I also think saying "30fps is unplayable" just as ridiculous

game looks awesome in trailers and videos. Do I want it at 60fps? fuck yes I do, hell Im buying a new rig very soon to run games like this. Would I all of a sudden stop wanting to play the game ive been seeing on trailers just because it runs on the same frame rate as a console? fuck no

In my personal situation I ended up pre-ordering Evil Within after a close race between Civilization, Lords of the Fallen, or Bayonetta 2.

The reduced opportunity cost that a potential 30 FPS framerate brings could easily push me towards some of these other games. I would still pick up Evil Within, but at a substantially reduced price.

you guys should tweet Matt Grandstaff, @gstaffinfection

he's Beth's CM.

I was looking for his Twitter handle and couldn't find him. I'll add to the OP.

I sent him a PM on GAF earlier this evening to see if he could shed some light on the issue.

Skyzard

Banned
Aren't the 60fps id5 games limited to 60 too though? When we're all gaming on 120hz monitors, this shit will feel limited as well.

My point being, if idtech5 so far only worked at 60, it would make sense that, when they alter the engine to work at 30, it would only work at 30.

It sucks, but some times there's not really an option. The Naruto games for example have their animations tied to the framerate, so if it runs below 30 it'll slow down, and if it runs over, it'll speed up, so, while 30fps still sucks, it's either that or not having those games on PC at all.

Damn. Sounds like it's going to be capped.

Hopefully 4K at least.

impact

Banned

I'd rather get it on PS4 @ 30fps than buy a PC game with a 30fps cap. It's just not something I have any interest in doing regardless of the game quality. Call it stupid if you want but if we start supporting 30fps capped PC games it's only going to give the message that 30fps caps are ok. They're not, they're a shitstain on the PC community.

Buburibon

My pre-order is fully paid for, so if it turns out to be locked at 30fps, I'll make sure to downsample it even further. Now, if it's a 1080p/30fps lock I won't be very happy at all. :-/

Nethaniah

Honestly the people who say fps doesn't matter or detract from the game, go play another Bethesda classic, skyrim on ps3.

Grief.exe

I'd rather get it on PS4 @ 30fps than buy a PC game with a 30fps cap. It's just not something I have any interest in doing regardless of the game quality. Call it stupid if you want but if we start supporting 30fps capped PC games it's only going to give the message that 30fps caps are ok. They're not, they're a shitstain on the PC community.

Fact of the matter is, you can always return a console game. You don't have that same luxury with PC games in many scenarios.

I was going along with the same line of thinking as well.

In past games, the gameplay was directly tied to the framerate. Reducing that framerate to 30 without decoupling the logic will just result in the same issue, but at half the frames.

Worse comes to worse, I'm pretty sure my i7 and Geforce 780 will run this better than my PS4.

Pretty sure? It would have to be one terrible port.

I want PC games to have good options. But I also want more Japanese developers to support the platform day and date.

So my solution is buy these games, support them, but also ask that they start being more conscientious of these sorts of options. Boycotting their games does nothing to solve the problem in my opinion.

Here's the thing, is that it's a Bethesda game. This isn't some random Japanese developer saying "I'll try a PC version".

I want this game as much as anyone, 30 or 60 but enough is enough. Quit trying to deceive people and give us a damn answer. If people want (and rightly expect) 60fps on PC, it needs to be said now. This is Bethesda acting like scum and if it wasn't a Mikami game I'd be skipping it.

-MD-

I preordered over a month ago on GMG for 45$. Kinda stuck with it now.

Pretty sure you can get a refund if you didnt get your key from GMG yet which you haven't.

There's no fucking chance I'm not playing this game on launch though, 60fps or not.

Arklite

Shit man, guess it pays to place close attention on port jobs. My money's already spent, so I hope they had the sense to accommodate one of the largest advantages of PC.

Top Bottom