• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Indiana Jones Game will be both first person and third person

Draugoth

Gold Member
jones-xbox-2.jpg

From today's episode of XboxEra podcast Episode 166, shpeshal Nick who correctly leaked the exclusivity of indiana jones has new info.

Here's what he said:

From what I've heard it's gonna be both (1st and 3rd person), not like Starfield where you get to pick.. but there'll be specific sections, some will be 3rd some will be 1st, idk if that's finalized or set in stone.. at the moment as far as I'm aware it's actually a combination of both, there'll be 1st person segments and 3rd person segments.

timestamp 01:25:00

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All the time or context based ?

Love Machine Games' past games, hope this also delivers.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Didn't they say there's going to be different types of gameplay and genres all mixed in here?

I imagine there's car chases or other vehicular portions that will go into a third person for example.

HL3.exe

Oh, they mean like Escape from Butcher Bay (2004) and The Darkness (2007). Also had mixed 1st and 3rd like when dialogue or climbing happened. Both games that are from the same team/leads as this new Indy game actually.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I'm not saying that a first person Indiana Jones game can't be a great game, but personally if it's not in third person and with Harrison Ford it would lose a lot of appeal and, I think, not only for me but for most people .

Aix Of 1st and 3rd person? I do not see rigth now how they could do It.

Fuz

Banned
This almost never works. The only good examples I've seen is Deus Ex and VTMB. The former is third person in cover only, and the latter is from 2004, and doesn't have great moment-moment gameplay anyway.
Where was the third person stuff in Vampire? Can't remember them at all.

Valt7786

I'm not saying that a first person Indiana Jones game can't be a great game, but personally if it's not in third person and with Harrison Ford it would lose a lot of appeal and, I think, not only for me but for most people .

Aix Of 1st and 3rd person? I do not see rigth now how they could do It.

Can't imagine anything worse for an indy game than having current Harrison Ford phone in the voice acting job. (I mean sure, maybe he'd do an amazing job but...I don't see it.) Definitely needs his likeness for the character model though otherwise he'll just look like generic joe shmoe with a hat on.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They already had this properly in Skyrim in 2011. Maybe id Tech is different.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Can't imagine anything worse for an indy game than having current Harrison Ford phone in the voice acting job. (I mean sure, maybe he'd do an amazing job but...I don't see it.) Definitely needs his likeness for the character model though otherwise he'll just look like generic joe shmoe with a hat on.
I was referring only to the physical appearance of H. Ford.

The voice would be secondary and I don't see him with the necessary enthusiasm to put his voice to a video game.

Fredrik

First person in an indiana jones game seems like a bad idea to me.
Yeah, same as the Avatar game, just a bad idea, can’t do any cool moves with that perspective without major jank.

I guess if they swap perspective when getting close for melee combat or climbing or taking cover or using the whip it could work. But at that point, when is it first person? When shooting?

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Played Indiana Jones as a child, the king whip, the perfect soundtrack, hopefully this one is good.
a635a4f5dccc0c7c5b381c8aaf5c37f6.jpg
Def not as good. These devs screwed up the story and pacing Wolf 2 after the perfect old blood and Wolf 1.

I expect a bad story, bad pacing, decent gameplay game.

• Surprised
Reactions: Fuz

Ozriel

M$FT
I think we should really do better with thread titles here.
It should clearly spell out that it’s a ‘rumor’, since this isn’t anything officially communicated by the devs or shared by an insider with a credible track record.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Oh, they mean like Escape from Butcher Bay (2004) and The Darkness (2007). Also had mixed 1st and 3rd like when dialogue or climbing happened. Both games that are from the same team/leads as this new Indy game actually.

I miss games like these.

Robb

Gold Member
That doesn’t sound like a great idea to me..

Although I guess it depends on the amount of each. If it’s 90% of one and 10% of the other for some specific sections I guess it could work.

HL3.exe

I miss games like these.
Me too. My hope is that this new Indy game is close in format and structure as the older Starbreeze cult-classics.

And reading up on the talent behind this (the creative director, producer and some level designer are the same from Riddick and The Darkness) my hopes are actually pretty high.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Really don't know what to expect of this game. I feel like MachineGames got lucky with The New Order, and even that game was a bit divisive. But after that Wolfenstein II was really underwhelming and Youngblood was pure ass. Can't say I'm confident that they will be able to deliver a solid Indy game, especially since they have a track record of writing really goofy stories with serious tonal inconsistencies. This has the potential of being just as bad as Crystal Skull in terms of its story.

MarkMe2525

I really don't know what to think of this game, which I guess is expected with the lack of info. The IP does not have much modern relevance, but I would be lying if I didn't say I hope it turns out great.

belmarduk

Gosh I hope this game will be good.

With the film not doing well (financially.. It was great and I will die on that hill!) it will be the last Indiana Jones thing we get until Disney decides to reboot the series.

VulcanRaven

I want to see Indiana Jones when playing as him. Would be disappointing if most was in the first person.

Troy Baker posted Indiana Jones hat emoji on Twitter when the game was revealed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom