• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

NinjaBoiX

I thought the finale was quite poor overall (in comparative context at least, it was far from "bad"), but the final scene was pretty dark and very well done.

I find it quite an inconsistent show in terms of quality, it often feels like a very good soap opera as opposed to the top drawer drama it can be.

Although I rolled my eyes at the scene with
Jimmy collecting Kim's papers what, 8-10 hours after the crash and them all still being there?
What is wind...hell, even cars rushing past and stuff. Kind of a lame scene.

I thought the finale was quite poor overall (in comparative context at least, it was far from "bad"), but the final scene was pretty dark and very well done.

I find it quite an inconsistent show in terms of quality, it often feels like a very good soap opera as opposed to the top drawer drama it can be.

Although I rolled my eyes at the scene with
Jimmy collecting Kim's papers what, 8-10 hours after the crash and them all still being there?
What is wind...hell, even cars rushing past and stuff. Kind of a lame scene.
No need for spoiler tags since the episode aired (that's just the way it's done in this thread). I think it would have been unrealistic if a) they, as lawyers, didn't go back to retrieve as much as they could since it's presumably confidential client information, or b) if they got there and the papers were nearly all gone. The papers weren't all there. And the point wasn't to retrieve all of it to restore some sort of record, rather it was to limit the spread of the confidential information as much as they could.

riotous

Banned
I knew a guy who ran a landscaping business in college; he did work for a lawyer. At some point said lawyer thought "hey you have a big landscaping truck, think you can take a bunch of old papers to a disposal business for me?"

Sure said the guy I knew.

Loads up truck full of confidential paperwork.

Starts heading down the freeway (I-5 in Seattle.)

A few minutes into this trip, he notices people honking like crazy at him.

His lackluster tarp job wasn't cutting it, and he'd had a billowing cloud of confidential paperwork spewing behind him on I-5 for a few minutes.

Anyways, random story, but that scene made me think of it. The lawyer was pissed as hell and actually made him attempt to get as much of the paperwork off of the road as possible (with the help of the police.)

Eh, I hope they get as many episodes as they need. Even if it's 7-8 Seasons(not that it will be), Breaking Bad really needed another 4-6 hours. Now you might argue that the time they had could have been used more efficiently, but still, the extra episodes would have fixed that too. They should have just did two full seasons for BB, and I hope that mistake isn't repeated.

In any case, I'm glad it's renewed.

Kalor

I got caught up on the last two episodes earlier and that was a strong finish to an already great season. I'm excited to see where they go with it next year.

Its definitely starting to feel more like Breaking Bad now, more so in this season, there are alot more shady dealings/ characters than earlier on as Jimmy tries to learn to do the right thing.

NinjaBoiX

No need for spoiler tags since the episode aired (that's just the way it's done in this thread). I think it would have been unrealistic if a) they, as lawyers, didn't go back to retrieve as much as they could since it's presumably confidential client information, or b) if they got there and the papers were nearly all gone. The papers weren't all there. And the point wasn't to retrieve all of it to restore some sort of record, rather it was to limit the spread of the confidential information as much as they could.
Oh I got the point of them going to try and retrieve it all, but really, hours and hours later most of the papers would still be there? In each scene (lasting a few seconds max) papers are clearly fluttering about in the wind, not to mention being right next to a road with passing cars providing plenty of air movement. We're expected to believe that they pretty much laid there in place that whole time?

I dunno, straight away on that scene of Jimmy picking up what appeared to be at least 90% of the papers half a day later I was just like "oh come on mane".

Finished season 3 just now after having rewatched the previous two as well for the second time. We finally see things going downhill for Hector, but can this actually make him wheelchair bound?

And that scene with the chair yoga, damn man, that was quite something. Sure Jimmy indeed conned Irene and her friends and that was very very bad but the things he said about himself through that mic is not what he really thinks. It's really sad that this was the only way. Which makes me think that he could have done this differently.

He could have been 100% honest and let everyone there know how he conned Irene with the shoes and her friends with the lies. That settlement could still have happened and Irene and her friends and everyone there wouldn't have believed that Jimmy basically didn't care at all about them.

I'm probably seeing it wrong. And man that ending. But I'm sure it will be OK..... right? Or not, because it's not like someone is seeing this happen, damn. I really didn't like what Chuck said to Jimmy but he doesn't deserve this. But man, suicide? Isn't that a bit drastic?

At the end of the day I can't really hate anyone in this show, well Hector isn't exactly likeable.

I'm gonna miss this show for a year. Such an awesome show.

He got 3 millions dollars and couldn't find a place on Earth where he can live with no electricity? Bullshit :)
Not where he could also be a successful lawyer at the law firm he built. He never wanted money. He wanted to force them to keep him there by making it financially impossible for the company to get rid of him. Then Howard decided not to put up with that bullshit.

Not where he could also be a successful lawyer at the law firm he built. He never wanted money. He wanted to force them to keep him there by making it financially impossible for the company to get rid of him. Then Howard decided not to put up with that bullshit.

I absolutely loved that he called his bluff on that bullshit. I don't like Howard at all, but loved him in that moment and subsequent announcement scene.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
As I'm rewatching BrBa, I'm doing so by checking the old gaf threads after each episode. First season it's easy with 3 pages, then 11, now 47 for s3... I'll have to skim a bunch for s5 because the second part alone has 3 (!) OT's. It's nuts how much bigger the show got with every new season.

This is my third time watching the show and I haven't been bored for a second, truly a classic. I'll do the same thing when BCS wraps up, or just before the series finale. They can do a Jesse series when this done for all I care, I could watch shows in this universe forever.

Lothar

Banned
As I'm rewatching BrBa, I'm doing so by checking the old gaf threads after each episode. First season it's easy with 3 pages, then 11, now 47 for s3... I'll have to skim a bunch for s5 because the second part alone has 3 (!) OT's. It's nuts how much bigger the show got with every new season.

This is my third time watching the show and I haven't been bored for a second, truly a classic. I'll do the same thing when BCS wraps up, or just before the series finale. They can do a Jesse series when this done for all I care, I could watch shows in this universe forever.

Listen to the Breaking Bad podcasts too. Definitely at least the final season.

I also like going back and rereading some of the live posts. I did that recently for the train episode. It showed me that they didn't even advertise it. It was a complete surprise. Fans didn't have a clue what was coming. I didn't watch it live as it was happened so I didn't know that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Fans didn't have a clue what was coming.

I'm finished with s4 now and going through the thread. It's great entertainment. A few weeks before the finale the screen of two face Gus leaked and there was speculation it was 'just a behind the scenes' thing. No one believed it, same with Walt poisoning Brock. Now to read the finale pages lol. BrBa and BCS are such polar opposites, it's impressive how they nailed both types of shows.

And I should listen to those podcasts yeah, for BCS as well.

sun-drop

i really hope this show doesn't end at the start of the BB timeline ... i want it to go full steam in to a parallel telling of the BB timeline, from the perspective of Mike/Jimmy

Holy shit man, that Bob Odenkirk is one hell of an actor.

I've recently started watching BB for the second time and I'm now at Saul's introduction and I don't really recognize Jimmy at all anymore. In BCS he's still a likeable guy despite some shady things he's done but in BB he's damn slippery and smooth and slimey. I don't like him at all here, haha.

I forgot how different he really is in BB and he acts this extremely well. He clearly lost some weight for BCS too. His head is more thick in BB for starters, lol.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
One thing I'm hoping we see a callback to in later seasons is the Lazer Tag running gag. I've been keeping track on my BrBaa rewatch and Saul has such a hardon for the place. First he tries to sell it for the money laundering, then he uses it for Walt and Jesse's secret meet. Third time it's one of the stops for the new meth lab in s5. He must've really liked Danny.

deleted

Puh, just watched the finale. I'm really looking forward to S4-S5. Things are ramping up a bit now. Some things could have been done a little better and the pacing for some developments could have been a slight more relaxed, but I enjoy that the show takes time (sometimes a lot) to show, how a character is driven (Mike's search for the tracking device and turning it around, Taco training and preparing for the med slip...)

I think Chucks downfall could have started an episode earlier. The breakdown was a bit sudden. Yes, he lost all the things he was working towards when he was kicked out of his firm, but I don't really get why he was kicking Jimmy out so harshly - was it to regain a feeling of control? He didn't plan on taking his live then, the breakdown came after that..

Looking forward, Kim and Nacho leaving/dying will be heartbreaking and most likely the final straw for both Mike and Jimmy to fully commit to a life in crime.
Mike will most likely turn towards Saul when the big firm looses his money and Gus will provide work to re-earn it - Maybe Jimmy even gets Mike out of a lawsuit?

I hope we will get at least half a season of post Breaking Bad stuff in the end. Those little bits and pieces are nice, but it's not an end point I see for a character like Saul.

- NY Mag's 2017 TV Awards: The Best Actor on TV Is Better Call Saul’s Michael McKean
Ultimately, though, Chuck can’t be reduced to the role of bad guy because Better Call Saul constantly reminds us that there is another side to him. This is a man suffering from a mental illness that has upended his life, derailed his legal career, largely cut him off from the world, and literally, thanks to his aversion to light, cast his days in dark shadow. In every scene in which Chuck’s electricity allergy flares up, McKean displays the symptoms of Chuck’s agony with heartbreaking precision, via the twitching of his hands, the winces that distort his facial features, and the panic in his eyes that erases all traces of his self-assured smugness. Another actor might lean too hard into this type of physicality and render it silly or unbelievable. But McKean’s manifestation of Chuck’s symptoms never comes across as anything other than totally real, even if the cause of those symptoms may be an aberration. When Chuck becomes wildly uncomfortable in his body, he’s also trying to fight that feeling, and McKean consistently displays that tug-of-war between terror and Chuck’s need to maintain order and justice, even within the context of his own panic attacks.

That’s what’s so important and meaningful about this performance: It reveals the intensity of the struggle behind mental illness and how easy it can be, for a while anyway, to hide that struggle from others. Chuck’s mind works so efficiently and he can seem so lucid that it is easy to forget that his internal wiring is faulty. Having a mental illness like the one Chuck has is a battle that can trick you into thinking you’re winning when you’re not. In his performance in season three of Better Call Saul, Michael McKean shows us what it looks and feels like to fight, and, ultimately, choose surrender.
More via the link.

Nearing the end of BB season 3,second time watching it and man, this show is just so goddamn good. It's just epic and easily one of the best shows ever in my opinion. Everything is just done so damn well and it has aged fine, some shows really aren't as amazing as they were during the first time watching it but this one definitely is.

Some folks here do absolutely terrible things, some may have a good reason but it's undeniable that at the same time it's destroying lives too. Yet I keep rooting for them, for both the "bad" and "good" guys. So again, this and BCS are just superb shows and I'd say almost flawless.

If Chuck hadn't been such a jerk, Saul would still be Jimmy, and Walt would have been in prison instead of running everyone's lives.

But then we wouldn't have had one of the best shows ever made. :)

But I know what you mean of course. However let's not forget that Jimmy always had that bit of a rascal part in him. Never quite able to do things by the book. So there's no telling that even if he had been hired by Howard from the start, that he wouldn't have done some stupid shit eventually. I mean...he had a more than decent job at Davis and Main and yet tried everything to get fired from there.

As we can see from the scenes of Jimmy and Marco, they liked to to stuff that wasn't exactly right to do. Or the Chicago Sunroof, I mean.....

So I really am not sure if Jimmy had been staying away from any trouble if he had been hired by Howard right away. Unless I'm mistaken but that was the first time Chuck really ruined something for his brother, right?

As for Walt. Man I don't know why but I can't hate him. Well, not right now. You'd think after the Jane thing I sure would hate him but that isn't the case for me yet. I fully realize it was horrible what he did, or basically didn't do, but his reasons to start cooking were understandable. Not saying it's right but I can see why he decided to do it. But can we really blame it all on Walt though? Jane sure, oh definitely and what happens later on too. However Jesse did some very stupid things himself too and Walt wasn't to blame fort hat.

I just finished BB s3 on my rewatch too, I'd say BB doesn't get beyond "pretty good" until about halfway through season 3. Whenever Walt isn't in a cooking phase I find this show kind of a drag. It's a rollicking, fun watch, but it's not even in the ballpark of Saul in my humble opinion. There's nowhere near the same moral and thematic complexity, or nuanced characters, and also I think Saul is better shot and directed. The shaky cam in BB annoys me. I'm looking forward to seasons 4 and 5 of BB though because Walt is finally going full Heisenberg and it's just more interesting and fun when both he and the show embrace how awful he is.

And Michael McKean absolutely did kill it in a season full of amazing performances on TV (The Leftovers in particular had some killer material).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have 3 more eps to go in my rewatch and yeah BrBa is just consistently great... except for maybe the nazi/Hank shootout. I forgot how good the final season was actually. Walt and Hank's standoff in the garage is one of the best scenes in the show. "I'll put you under the prison." Same goes for Walt and Skyler's ice cold convo's in the early eps of the season. "I'm waiting for the cancer to come back."

Also consider that Saul suggested offing Badger, Hank ánd Jesse over the course of the series. We've still got some distance to go til we get from Jimmy to the real Saul I'd say. Actually way more than I thought. Saul in the BrBa era is already very experienced and has known the tricks and loopholes for a while. Whereas at this point in BCS the sense for scheming and his smarts are there, but we still have no clue to what will drive him to the deep end. They're still very different characters if you compare BrBa and BCS right now.
One of the few times you get a glimpse of the old Jimmy is when he's visiting Andrea. He's showing his softer side there and it feels eerily close to the McGill era.

I have 3 more eps to go in my rewatch and yeah BrBa is just consistently great... except for maybe the nazi/Hank shootout. I forgot how good the final season was actually. Walt and Hank's standoff in the garage is one of the best scenes in the show. "I'll put you under the prison." Same goes for Walt and Skyler's ice cold convo's in the early eps of the season. "I'm waiting for the cancer to come back."

Also consider that Saul suggested offing Badger, Hank ánd Jesse over the course of the series. We've still got some distance to go til we get from Jimmy to the real Saul I'd say. Actually way more than I thought. Saul in the BrBa era is already very experienced and has known the tricks and loopholes for a while. Whereas at this point in BCS the sense for scheming and his smarts are there, but we still have no clue to what will drive him to the deep end. They're still very different characters if you compare BrBa and BCS right now.
One of the few times you get a glimpse of the old Jimmy is when he's visiting Andrea. He's showing his softer side there and it feels eerily close to the McGill era.

Andrea from Brock you mean? I'm probably getting good there soon, the first watch was a while ago and I kinda forgot when that happens. But you're right, BCS Saul isn't even close to the sleazeball in BB right from the start. The way he acts is as if he's a completely different person in BB compared to BCS. Not only because of his suggestions he makes to Walt and his ways, but especially how he acts, behaves and talks. It's all very different from Jimmy in BCS. Very impressive.

I just finished BB s3 on my rewatch too, I'd say BB doesn't get beyond "pretty good" until about halfway through season 3. Whenever Walt isn't in a cooking phase I find this show kind of a drag. It's a rollicking, fun watch, but it's not even in the ballpark of Saul in my humble opinion. There's nowhere near the same moral and thematic complexity, or nuanced characters, and also I think Saul is better shot and directed. The shaky cam in BB annoys me. I'm looking forward to seasons 4 and 5 of BB though because Walt is finally going full Heisenberg and it's just more interesting and fun when both he and the show embrace how awful he is.

And Michael McKean absolutely did kill it in a season full of amazing performances on TV (The Leftovers in particular had some killer material).

Yeah I've heard this before. Not everyone likes BB right from the start but I sure as hell do. Personally I don't find it dragging anywhere at all. There's very little i don't enjoy about the show and the same goes for BCS. Parts some might find slow and boring I really enjoy them.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think you all waiting for the straight dot-to-dot connection from Slippin Jimmy to Saul suggesting Hank be killed will be disappointed. I fully expect there to be a remaining gap between the end of the show and the beginning of who we see in BB.

Hell, I thought the end of this season could've worked as a series finale, in a pinch. You can already see where this thing is headed.

Lothar

Banned

What are your thoughts on revisiting the Fly episode? Since I think that shows a ton of moral complexity and Walt being a nuanced character.

I would say BB starts off as pretty good on the first episode of Season 1. It stays good all the way until Saul is introduced. There it becomes great. (You get the addition of three very good characters, plenty of drama and tension with Jane, hilariousness with Jesse and Walt being stranded in the desert) On the middle of Season 3 to the end, it becomes fucking excellent. In Season 4, it becomes arguably the best show of all time. In Season 5, it cements it for me, I don't think any other show is close. 16 flawless thrilling unpredictable episodes that are constantly making you feel a wide range of emotions.

Unfortunately for me, BCS is still just good, at BB Season 1 level. One of the biggest reasons it's still there is Mike this season. It's still not connecting with Jimmy and there was barely a story there for him this year. I really thought the storyline about how he got to work with Gus was going to be more dramatic than that. I don't feel like the incredibly long scenes of Mike looking at binoculars and taking a car apart were worth it. The next time I rewatch BCS, I believe I'll be skipping over Episode 1 of Season 3 and the first 10 minutes of Episode 2.

Just finished season 3 and man it's actually a bit heartbreaking to think what is all going to happen in the next two seasons. In season 3s finally there's a really good understanding and bond between Walt and Jesse and they save each other's lives. Sad how all of that changes so drastically in 4 and 5. So on one hand it's great how Walt goes full Heisenberg but sad at the same time.

Assuming no time skip, there's likely still a few years of gap between the end of this series and the beginning of Breaking Bad. I think, like PantherLotus, that we'll see Jimmy become Saul, but he's still not going to be the Saul we knew from BB.

Of course, there are the flash-forward scenes that start each season. I wonder where those are heading.

What are your thoughts on revisiting the Fly episode? Since I think that shows a ton of moral complexity and Walt being a nuanced character.

I like that episode, but I don't know that it's morally complex. Walt murdered Jane. That's about as clear-cut as it gets for me. Just because Walt feels conflicted about it (because he's a human being, so of course he does) doesn't make it not murder. And just because he feels bad about what he's put his family through, that hasn't stopped him from continuing on that path, despite already having some very close calls and Hank getting shot, which is indirectly a result of Walt's actions. Walt is, was, and continues to be a self-righteous narcissist with a martyr complex.

Lothar

Banned
It's complex because he didn't save her for the sake of Jesse. He thought she was killing Jesse. (And maybe she was) He thought if he saved her, it would only be a matter of time before she Oded again and next time it might be Jesse. Not saving her is a bad thing but you can understand why Walt would temporarily be confused about whether or not it was a bad thing. Fly lets you know that he's haunted by and regrets his decision.

There's none of that feeling left for him in Season 5A. He become too used to it by that point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I feel like posting these pages whenever I see discussion about Walt in the Jane scene.

From Bryan Cranston's autobiography, A Life in Parts:

WhoU62g.png

gvuPMq2.png

P70Wd8q.png

32Ssp5q.png

Lothar

Banned
I actually bought the book because you posted those pages. Didn't even know it existed. It was a good read. I couldn't put it down and read it in one night.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I actually bought the book because you posted those pages. Didn't even know it existed. It was a good read. I couldn't put it down and read it in one night.
Ah, cool! I remember you asking about it in another thread now that you mentioned it. And yeah, it's a great read, turns out Cranston is good at both acting and writing.

Holy shit you guys I just realised something.

The reason the name "Saul Goodman" appears on the law degree in Breaking Bad?

Because Jimmy used his super photocopier powers to change the name. Just like he did with Mesa Verde! BOOM!

Set up. Pay off. Vince is a genius.

I feel like posting these pages whenever I see discussion about Walt in the Jane scene.

From Bryan Cranston's autobiography, A Life in Parts:

WhoU62g.png

gvuPMq2.png

P70Wd8q.png

32Ssp5q.png

Oh snap, this is real? Didn't know the man had a book of his own.

It must have a been a long time that I watched BB because I don't even remember anymore how we go from Walt and Skyler buying the car wash, starting to appreciate each other again to Skyler wishing his cancer comes back. I actually forgot what it is that Walter does to get her to hate him with a furious passion again. I'm at episode Shotgun now.

Holy shit you guys I just realised something.

The reason the name "Saul Goodman" appears on the law degree in Breaking Bad?

Because Jimmy used his super photocopier powers to change the name. Just like he did with Mesa Verde! BOOM!

Set up. Pay off. Vince is a genius.

How can it be payoff for a setup that they came up with years later? This is just reaching.

Ah, cool! I remember you asking about it in another thread now that you mentioned it. And yeah, it's a great read, turns out Cranston is good at both acting and writing.

I was very surprised to see that he is one of the producers of the show, really cool. This guy has plenty skills. I recently saw the movie Wakefield and his acting is fantastic in that one. You know now some actors of TV shows can never truly get rid of being a certain character? Michael C Hall as Dexter for example, I can never unsee him as Dexter in other movies and there are more like that. Not with Bryan though, not at all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think you all waiting for the straight dot-to-dot connection from Slippin Jimmy to Saul suggesting Hank be killed will be disappointed. I fully expect there to be a remaining gap between the end of the show and the beginning of who we see in BB.

Hell, I thought the end of this season could've worked as a series finale, in a pinch. You can already see where this thing is headed.

Not really waiting or hoping for that direct connection, but I am looking forward to the moment when he crosses the gap to his new life and how they handle it. It could be a reverse Walter White situation, where we see the transformation in the last episode instead of the first.

tmdorsey

I might be not be remembering correctly, but wasn't Jane clean before she starting messing around with Jesse and found out he was a meth dealer/cooker?

Also, on that scene with Walt letting Jane choke to death, I fully expected him to let her die since she was trying to blackmail him. It was an accidental and easy way for him to deal with a potential "problem".

He could have dealt with Jane in so many other ways though that wouldn't resort in her having to die, but that could also be said for pretty much all his fucked up decisions. lol.

____

I might be not be remembering correctly, but wasn't Jane clean before she starting messing around with Jesse and found out he was a meth dealer/cooker?

Also, on that scene with Walt letting Jane choke to death, I fully expected him to let her die since she was trying to blackmail him. It was an accidental and easy way for him to deal with a potential "problem".

He could have dealt with Jane in so many other ways though that wouldn't resort in her having to die, but that could also be said for pretty much all his fucked up decisions. lol.

Yeah, she was, but I forget the amount of days/weeks/months.

rekameohs

Banned

Yes, Jane was clean for 18 months before she relapsed with Jesse. But of course Walt doesn't know that part of the story.

That excerpt is amazing.

That scene was a real turning point in the show for me, and I nearly quit watching. I could only watch after that wanting to see Walt get his. It's where he became a villain to me.

That excerpt is amazing.

That scene was a real turning point in the show for me, and I nearly quit watching. I could only watch after that wanting to see Walt get his. It's where he became a villain to me.

Now after my second time watching it, it may have felt a bit drastic. What he did there was incredibly horrible, he could have saved her and didn't. She wasn't a real danger to him anymore as well, since he had given Jesse the money. With drastic I mean that after this scene, this deed, he continues to be a man that still cares for his family and is also concerned about Jesse and not always for his own good. He was nowhere near close to becoming full on Heisenberg so to speak. So he wasn't yet completely rotten.

So to me it kinda seems like something he'd do much later on, after becoming Heisenberg completely. I understand for the story why they didn't do that though.

I just saw the episode where Saul visits Andrea and it's amazing indeed how we actually see Jimmy from BCS here. His behavior and the way he speaks here is nothing like the sleazy guy that talks to Walt and Jesse when he's in his own office. Bob can act!

But so can Jesse, dude has some fantastic scenes. And can't forgot to mention Walt. I mean compare the friendly Walter White to Heisenberg with that incredibly cold look on his face, a very unpleasant person. Superb acting.

thank you for posting that excerpt! what a great actor.

(also yes his perspective as Walter White on jane is warped)
I think that, as a parent, it's really easy to relate to that perspective, as it seems like a lot of us in the ParentGAF thread have had similar experiences.

I had one about a month ago, when I was driving and listening to Invisibilia. That episode featured a story where a little girl gets killed in a car accident, and when I heard the imagery, it conjured up an image of my son, and I was immediately struck by a profound and illogical sadness. It most likely wouldn't have affected me at all before I had my son.

Lothar

Banned
What was originally written for that Jane episode was worse. It was planned for Walt to purposefully push Jane onto her back. They had to talk Vince Gilligan out of it. That was in Cranston's book too.

I'll type this part from the book.

When I first read the script, I was shocked. There would be no turning back after this. Walt had killed in the past, but his brushes with violence could always be ascribed to self-preservation. Killing Jane would make him a murderer. Worse. Jesse was more than Walt's partner, he was something like a son. And Jesse loves Jane. If Walt pushes Jane onto her back, to her death? That would be the most diabolical betrayal. I worried we'd lose the audience. It would be hard to continue to root for the kind of man who'd do that.

I wasn't the only one shocked. The studio and network viewed the scene as a critical turning point in the devolution of Walter White, and they were concerned that at so early a stage in the central character's transformation-we were only in the second season-this murderous act would turn the audience against him prematurely and jeopardize the show. Too much too soon. They expressed their concerns to Vince, and he listened and came to agree. He devised a slightly less damning way for Walt to be involved in Jane's death.

Studios and networks have a reputation for diluting the creative process with their notes. Decision by committee. Conservatism rules. But extra eyes on a story line can actually be useful and generative, and throughout the run of Breaking Bad our studio and our network helped us to make the story better.

Walt wasn't a cold-blooded killer--yet. He was a bystander. He had the chance to save Jane, but he didn't act. He hesitated. And he was shattered. That moment I saw my daughter's dying face.

One of the things that made the show so compelling was this lack of bright moral lines. No indisputable turning points. No easy answers. We put the moral burden as much on the audience as it was on Walt, implicitly asking: What would you do if you had two years to live? How would you live your life?

I'd been introduced to Vince's nuanced understanding of morality back on the X-Files. Breaking Bad, however, was a whole new level. Viewers had to decide for themselves what was understandable, given the circumstance, and what was flat-out reprehensible. And most likely it wasn't a specific moment but rather a series of moments that shifted allegiances and sympathies.

Top Bottom