• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Veelk

Banned
Only a Sith deals in absolutes. If telling Jimmy about the tape were his first offense, yeah, I would consider it immoral to fire him for it. You'd have to convince me that taking away a man's livelihood for an offense that small merited that reaction. There's a case to be made that it puts him in serious doubt, but one-and-done is too big.

The "offense that small" in question is helping covering up an actual felony here. So...felony. Is that an offense large enough to merit an out on the first strike?

I think referring to it as deliberate sabotage is an issue. More like "not helping a guy screw over his brother, after that brother screwed over the first brother, who himself had screwed over the second brother before that." Ernie wasn't testifying in a court of law when he lied to Chuck. He's not obligated to help Chuck make a case against Jimmy.

No, it's deliberate sabotage. Possibly not whatever constitutes legal sabotage (I have no idea, I'm not a lawyer), but Ernie is actively planting false information to undermine Chuck's case against him.

The reason Ernie was called into the hospital room was to witness Jimmy's admission to guilt when Chuck cornered him into an argument he couldn't escape. Now, if that happened, and then Ernie simply refused to testify against his friend, then yeah, that would be simply not helping. But planting false information to undermine Chuck's investigation is something different.

The issue is that Chuck is using his moral code as a cover for a personal vendetta. That's especially reprehensible to people who *do* live by a moral code.

I don't agree. My interpretation of Chuck is that he is genuinely persuing his moral code, while also having a personal vendetta. It's not a cover, the way oil sits atop water. It's more of a homogenized mix of motivations. They're so closely intertwined you can't truly seperate the two because, if we were to hypothetically entertain the idea that Chuck feels no personal vendetta to Jimmy and is truly just acting in his duty as an officer of the law, it's very possible he'd be doing the exact same thing he's doing now: Making sure Jimmy faces consequences for his actions.

Saganator

It's also hard to be interested in the other half of the show, Better Call Mike, because most of what he does is long, drawn out machinations that only become clear after a lot of film is spent on making the viewer wonder what the fuck he's up to.

Hopefully things pick up.

No! If you've read the thread and reviews, most fans of the show love the slow pace. I love trying to figure out what Mike is up to before it's shown to us. Better Call Saul is a perfect example of showing and not telling. I hope the show runners don't listen to those saying the show needs to move at a faster pace.

The "offense that small" in question is helping covering up an actual felony here. So...felony. Is that an offense large enough to merit an out on the first strike?

I was referring to the second infraction. I had been arguing without clear memory of the hospital scene at that point. I stand by that -- if telling Jimmy were the first offense, firing him for it would be disproportionate, and all the worse that he was set up to fail.

I do have to wonder *why* Ernie goes to bat for Jimmy. Does he have full knowledge of the way Chuck screwed Jimmy over? Or has Jimmy just charmed him? I have been assuming the former.

No! If you've read the thread and reviews, most fans of the show love the slow pace. I love trying to figure out what Mike is up to before it's shown to us. Better Call Saul is a perfect example of showing and not telling. I hope the show runners don't listen to those saying the show needs to move at a faster pace.

I wouldn't mind if it ran just a *touch* faster. This was the first episode where I wish more had happened by the end of it.

Agreed with all of this. I only get riled up when Vleek defends Chuck's actions as not only legal (which they are) but somehow the *right thing*.

Agreed as well. While Chuck may be technically correct that Jimmy is unfit to practice law, and even if Jimmy "ratfucking" Chuck on Mesa Verde is more than enough justification for that belief, it crosses over into a vengeance he's become so obsessed with that he doesn't care if he does things like manipulate Ernesto into being a pawn and the unceremoniously fires him. Even if Chuck acts within the law, he's not acting within the boundaries of being a good person.

I haven't minded the slower pace either, outside of a few scenes that I'm not sure added much (the Air Force guy in the season premier).

Saganator

I wouldn't mind if it ran just a *touch* faster. This was the first episode where I wish more had happened by the end of it.

More time per episode would be nice, like a full hour with no commercials, then they could keep the slow pace but pack in more story so it wouldn't feel like only 2 things happen an episode.

Veelk

Banned
I was referring to the second infraction. I had been arguing without clear memory of the hospital scene at that point. I stand by that -- if telling Jimmy were the first offense, firing him for it would be disproportionate, and all the worse that he was set up to fail.

Yeah, but I'm asking that would it be moral to fire Ernie on the first offense of covering a felony with the hospital scene? At this point, I feel this is kinda trivial since the point has been made, but I'm curious at poking your moral system here. Lets say that Chuck never tricked Ernie and Ernie didn't get an opportunity to sabotage Chuck a second time. He only has the first offense of covering up Jimmy's felony.

Does a felony cover up merit a firing, even on first offense?

I do have to wonder *why* Ernie goes to bat for Jimmy. Does he have full knowledge of the way Chuck screwed Jimmy over? Or has Jimmy just charmed him? I have been assuming the former.

From what the show depicted, it's natural charisma. Nothing indicates that Ernie knows anything and, when questioned, he just says "You're my friend", but we don't know what that actually means beyond Jimmy being congenial to him (like he is with most people). Similarly, Omar went above and beyond the call of duty for Jimmy, even though his conversation with Omar at the end, where Jimmy is surprised to learn he has a wife and kid, indicates that he doesn't know him very well. There's even an element of it in Kim, freely admitting that she's in it for Jimmy because she just likes him, though atleast they have an actual relationship we've explored.

I feel that's the danger Chuck sees in Jimmy, what he's talking about how Jimmy can ruin others. Unless you're in a very close circle of family that only Kim and, until recently, Chuck occupied, Jimmy regards you as a mark and will take advantage of your good will if he sees it fit. The kindness Cliff Main showed him didn't stop him from screwing him over when he decided he didn't want to be with Davis and Main anymore. But people line up behind Jimmy regardless of that. So you mix people who follow Jimmy blindly with Jimmy seeing others as expendable, that's genuinely dangerous.

Yeah, but I'm asking that would it be moral to fire Ernie on the first offense of covering a felony with the hospital scene? At this point, I feel this is kinda trivial since the point has been made, but I'm curious at poking your moral system here. Lets say that Chuck never tricked Ernie and Ernie didn't get an opportunity to sabotage Chuck a second time. He only has the first offense of covering up Jimmy's felony.

Does a felony merit a firing, even on first offense?

Covering for somebody else's felony, yes. Doubly so that the felony cost the firm significant business.

Like I said, I wonder why he did it, unless he knows full well what a shitheel Chuck has been to Jimmy. The firm was eminently fair to Kim, even in competing with her.

Veelk

Banned
Covering for somebody else's felony, yes. Doubly so that the felony cost the firm significant business.

Well, then, there you go. Chuck is still a manipulative dick, but, like I said, firing Ernie is something ANY firm would do, and I'm glad I managed to convince you.

The firm was eminently fair to Kim, even in competing with her.

After several cases of being unfair to her.

HHM's affection for their employee's is highly conditional. One moment you're awesome. The next you're trash. Then you're leaving, so they're nice again. It's very hot and cold with them.

Tankard

Said before and will say it again, best show on tv.

It hurts me every time thinking of the future of Jimmy and knowing Kim isn't there.

Well, then, there you go. Chuck is still a manipulative dick, but, like I said, firing Ernie is something ANY firm would do, and I'm glad I managed to convince you.

After several cases of being unfair to her.

HHM's affection for their employee's is highly conditional. One moment you're awesome. The next you're trash. Then you're leaving, so they're nice again. It's very hot and cold with them.

Agreed.

And I needed the reminder of what happened last season. I had forgotten, and that's a far worse offense.

Arkeband

Banned

I like a slow burn and I think the pacing was great in Season 2, but we're starting to get into the obligatory stuff (Gus, etc) that we always knew was coming, going at a crawl here is worse because we already kind of know what's happening, whereas S2 with Jimmy manipulating Chuck culminating in an episode cliffhanger with Chuck hitting his head off of a counter was going places we never expected.

TTOOLL

Wow, what an amazing episode!

Kim still has time to work out! Great montage!
Mike blows my mind every fucking time, genius!
Get Ernie a job, please!
Kim and Jimmy just can't breakout, it'll be fucking heartbreaking.
FUCK CHUCK again and again!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What? Only Ernie gets to judge whether he is trustworthy or not? Am I misreading this? (Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely confused what your saying by this.

Yes. Because he was disloyal to Chuck, but loyal to his friends, to his values. Sometimes you're in a position where you're pushed to throw your friends under the bus. What you decide to do in that moment stays with you for your whole life, something you'll have to live with, and marks a milestone in your identity. This is what Ernie will need to decide for himself going forward: what kind of person he wants to be.

McCain, or generally any anti-Trump GOPer is a good real life example of this. To tow the party line despite your personal values says a lot about your character. Are you a spineless coward, or a loyal politician? In practical terms, it's both, but the final judgment will be made in McCain's own mind, in private, whether he can live with and justify his decisions to himself.

The rest of the season is gonna be interesting now that both Kim and Jimmy are going to war with Chuck instead of waiting around.

Also, I love the shoes. The shoes dropping was a great metaphor.

Veelk

Banned
Yes. Because he was disloyal to Chuck, but loyal to his friends, to his values. Sometimes you're in a position where you're pushed to throw your friends under the bus. What you decide to do in that moment stays with you for your whole life, something you'll have to live with, and marks a milestone in your identity. This is what Ernie will need to decide for himself going forward: what kind of person he wants to be.

Well, that all sounds nice and all, but...that doesn't make a lot of sense. If Ernie wants to stick by Jimmy, that's his perogative, but that doesn't change the fact that by doing that, Ernie has become untrustworthy to Chuck. Which, yes, Chuck gets to decide as both his employer and basic normal human being who can make judgement of others if someone is worthy of trust. Deciding that isn't a thing that any kind of moral transgression invalidates in any way. I literally don't even know what process you went through to think "If a person is bad, they cannot say others are untrustworthy"

Haly

I literally don't even know what process you went through to think "If a person is bad, they cannot say others are untrustworthy"

We have a word for this, it's called hypocrisy.

Anyway I never said he can't say it. But as far as I'm concerned the validity of his opinion is nullified by his own sin.

Veelk

Banned
We have a word for this, it's called hypocrisy.

Anyway I never said he can't say it. But as far as I'm concerned the validity of his opinion is nullified by his own sin.

No, it's not. That's not how opinions work. Or, not rational opinions, anyway.

If I am a thief, and I see another person stealing, I still have the authority to call them a thief by basic powers of observation and be correct about that assessment. It'd hypocrisy if I got offended at them stealing from me personally, but that's a different thing from being able to recognize an observable behavioral trait. Or, for the matter, shielding myself against other thieves and trying to reclaim my stuff, if they stole from me.

I'm sorry, but it's just inane to suggest that Chuck can't think of Ernie as untrustworthy after he discovers for a fact that Ernie lied and disobeyed him just because Chuck himself lied to Jimmy and Ernie. All it means is that Chuck and Ernie are mutually untrustworthy to each other, because Chuck goes on to manipulate him.

Also, that's another thing. Chuck only violated Ernie's trust after Ernie violated Chuck's. Going by your logic, shouldn't it be Ernie whose the one who loses the authority to determine trustworthiness, since he performed the first transgression?

Haly

If I am a thief, and I see another person stealing, I still have the authority to call them a thief by basic powers of observation and be correct about that assessment. It'd hypocrisy if I got offended at them stealing from me personally, but that's a different thing from being able to recognize an observable behavioral trait.
But Chuck didn't merely observe Ernie's untrustworthiness relative to himself. He fired Ernie for it. Under your analogy, you would be a cop who embezzles and continues to throw people behind bars for petty theft. Maybe you're legally in the right for doing so, but do you think people will agree your actions were fair or justified morally? I think not.

I'm sorry, but it's just inane to suggest that Chuck can't think of Ernie as untrustworthy after he discovers for a fact that Ernie lied and disobeyed him just because Chuck himself lied to Jimmy and Ernie. All it means is that Chuck and Ernie are mutually untrustworthy to each other, because Chuck goes on to manipulate him.
Sure. But as the audience I'm going to call him out on his bullshit. I'm not in the mind to forgive delusional victimhood.

Also, that's another thing. Chuck only violated Ernie's trust after Ernie violated Chuck's. Going by your logic, shouldn't it be Ernie whose the one who loses the authority to determine trustworthiness, since he performed the first transgression?
That's why I said he can only fairly judge himself, as Chuck must judge himself, this is the single basic unviolable right given to all of us as people to decide who we are.

But Chuck didn't merely observe Ernie's untrustworthiness relative to himself. He fired Ernie for it. Under your analogy, you would be a cop who embezzles and continues to throw people behind bars for petty theft. Maybe you're legally in the right for doing so, but do you think people will agree your actions were fair or justified morally? I think not.

A better analogy is a cop who embezzles, and discovers that his accountant is embezzling from him. Should he keep the guy on?

It's not a moral question at that point, it's a practical matter. Chuck can't trust Ernie, he can't work with him.

Veelk

Banned

Well, no, the analogy doesn't work. For one, Chuck wasn't going after Ernie for lying to anyone, but to him, personally, whom he has authority over as an employer. Second, Ernie's lie was in no sense of the word petty. He's helping cover up a felony. Third, as far as Ernie is concerned, Chuck never violated his trust until AFTER Ernie proved he was untrustworthy to him.

I tried to adjust your analogy to fit the case better, but honestly, it's just not applicable. Especially since it's not like Chuck even believes lying, as a rule, is something you shouldn't ever do. It's infringing on the law that riles Chuck up. Chuck fired Ernie because he lied to him, on a very personal matter, on a very legally significant matter, which cost the company Ernie worked for significant business.

That just not hypocrisy.

Sure. But as the audience I'm going to call him out on his bullshit. I'm not in the mind to forgiving self-delusional victimhood.

And you're free to. Only problem is that this isn't bullshit, atleast not in the way your describing. He's manipulative and acts in bad faith with people, that much is true. Trying to invalidate his opinion of trustworthiness when that's not how trust even works is just a complete lack of understanding of how both emotions and intellectual judgement works.

That's why I said he can only fairly judge himself, as Chuck must judge himself, this is the single basic unviolable right given to all of us as people to decide who we are.

Again, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean or how it's supposed to work. Accurately assessing observable behaviors doesn't stop happening because you may have participated in those behaviors yourself. It just doesn't.

Shit, if it did, then Jimmy needs to shut the fuck up about Chuck conning him and judge himself or whatever.

Haly

Shit, if it did, then Jimmy needs to shut the fuck up about Chuck conning him and judge himself or whatever.

I mean, he does need to. His lack of introspection is his greatest character flaws. Both him and Chuck, just on opposite sides of the law.

HardRojo

Another excellent episode. BCS is the event I look forward to the most during the week lol. I loved the fact that they used that tune again for the border patrol facilities.
Edit: Did Dave Porter ever release the song so I can listen to it in its entire beauty?

Haly

I mean to go back to the beginning of this your statement, Veelk, that "anyone would do this", just assumes everyone is completely as morally unconflicted as Chuck, even in a position of evidently great moral conflict.

And this is just untrue.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, he does. His lack of introspection is one of his greatest character flaws. Both him and Chuck, just on opposite sides of the law.

What? Did you see the episode? No, he doesn't. Every time it comes up, Jimmy's a barely contained mix of rage and despair. He obviously thinks what Chuck did was wrong and horrible. By your logic, that's some hardcore hypocrisy.

But no, despite it being a conjob, it's not really hypocrisy either. As I said in an earlier post, Jimmy believes in taking care of family. Jimmy would have never conned Chuck this way, like with how he never put him in a mental hospital. Everyone else is a mark, but family is what your supposed to protect.

Ironically, that's actually what Chuck considers himself to be doing by making Jimmy feel the force of the law.

It's less that they're on the other side of the law and more that they have diametrically opposed ideas of how people take care of one another. Jimmy feels it's to give them what they need, even at the cost of others. Chuck feels that it's teaching them that shortcuts in life don't exist. The law just happens to be the rulebook they either play by or dance around.

I mean to go back to the beginning of this your statement, Veelk, that "anyone would do this", just assumes everyone is completely as morally unconflicted as Chuck, even in a position of evidently great moral conflict.

And this is just untrue.

Saying so is, I'm not sure if you realize this, ad populum, because if anyone would do it then it's in some sense justified, because something everyone does is "normal", and this is what posters are taking issue with. What Chuck did is absolutely not "normal" and should not be portrayed as such.

Again, that is being taken too literally with the word "Anyone" but yeah, the vast majority of businesses would do this.

Because Ernie is covering up a felony. And even if you want to say Chuck himself shows shades of whatever he hates, it doesn't change the fact that anybody would cut off a person who is a direct danger to them. A murderer would fight against another murderer trying to kill him. A thief would take measures to make sure they aren't stolen from.

That's not hypocrisy, it's basic instinct of self preservation. But if you are going to bring in morality into it, the fact that Ernie is helping cover up a felony should kinda seal the deal.

This whole thread is gonna be Veelk defending Chuck, ain't it?

I don't want to be that guy, but some of the shit said here is just straight up incorrect. What am I supposed to say?

Folks, I'm getting a bit weary of the metacommentary, namecalling, and other nonsense in this thread. If you don't agree with what someone is saying, post a counter argument rather than resorting to insults and gif responses. Or talk about something else. Or don't reply. Or use the ignore feature.

If you see something that's against the TOS, please send me or another moderator a PM, and we'll take a look. In the meantime, behave yourselves. Thank you.

Chumley

Banned
*shrug*

I guess someone has to. It's definitely FuckChuck to me. He's no family member I'd keep around, nevermind taking care of him.

If people could just tune him out, there's more interesting and less repetitive things to talk about.

Edit: posted this before seeing mod post

Aiii

So not worth it

And this is just untrue.

Saying so is, I'm not sure if you realize this, ad populum, because if anyone would do it then it's in some sense justified, because something everyone does is "normal", and this is what posters are taking issue with. What Chuck did is absolutely not "normal" and should not be portrayed as such.

Normal should never be in any descriptor regarding Chuck.

I mean, come on, guy pretends to have some kind of electricity allergy, if that isn't a sign he is ready for some heavy psychiatric work, I don't know what would be.

riotous

Banned
Jimmy changing that paperwork and letting Chuck unravel at the seams over it was a huge dick move. These brothers have a tit for tat that goes back and forth, it's not fuck chuck or fuck jimmy to me; I don't see how anyone can ignore that Chuck is getting Jimmy back for fucking with him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't really be mad at Chuck for cutting Ernie, and I like Ernie. It would be like if someone stole some money from you and then you purposefully leave your wallet on the coffee table to see if they'll do it again. And then clearly explain how bad stealing is before you leave the room. Why would anyone want Ernie around if he's just going to undermine you and run to Jimmy everytime? If you like Jimmy so much, work for Jimmy.

Hopefully Kim hires him on since their current assistant has no paralegal experience.

Haly

Chuck feels that it's teaching them that shortcuts in life don't exist. The law just happens to be the rulebook they either play by or dance around.
This was true in Season 1 and 2 but no longer true in Season 3. To me, Chuck is pursuing vindication and will only be satisfied by the destruction of Jimmy's career in law, if not his outright incarceration. This is not "teaching" him anything. This is revenge, plain and simple.

It's not moral quandry, it's basic instinct of self preservation.

Self preservation, in so far as business is concerned, frequently overrules morality, generally to the detriment of society. To say "it's not a moral quandary, it's just self preservation" is precisely the rationale businesses use to fuck over the disenfranchised, embodied in BCS by the conflict between Chuck and Jimmy, and paralleled in BB by Walter and Jesse.

Believe it or not you have actually taken a side in this and it's Chuck's. There are people in this thread who feel Chuck's actions can only be viewed through the lens of morality, and refusing to do so shows where your priorities lay, which is why Chumley called you amoral. I don't agree with it but I can see the reasoning behind it. Your posts are coming off as heartless, regardless of your intent.

A few quotes from this one:
Speaking of everything being explicitly or not explicitly written on the page, tell me about the writers room process of constructing Mike's elaborate Rube Goldbergian plan with the shoes and the truck and what the conversations are regarding "too complicated" and "just complicated enough."

With Mike's schemes like these, and he does these a lot, our usual rule-of-thumb is to try to go with the most low-tech version possible that still makes sense and doesn't feel silly, basically. Mike is someone who will use technology when he needs to, but if he doesn't have to go super high-tech, he's not going to. So that is where we start every one of those conversations like, "What's the most basic version of this?"

So we just liked the idea of, "He sprinkles some meth on the truck and gets them busted at the border," but then it was really about, "Well, how do you sprinkle meth on a truck without getting caught?" He didn't want it known that the truck had been interfered with in any way. He wanted it to seem like a normal accident. We had all of these elaborate, silly ideas about paintball pellets filled with meth being shot at the truck. But someone would hear that! Or having somebody else in the lineup walk by the truck. But that would mean bringing someone else in! Then the idea of having something dangling above the truck started to come up in conversation and I think it might have been Vince who brought up shoes and how they're so ubiquitous and everybody knows them and they're not inherently suspicious because everybody's really used to seeing shoes dangling from power lines. So what would be the best way to make that work using all of Mike's skills, including his sniper skills which we're already familiar with.

And nobody ever stops and says, "This is a really hard way to do what he's doing"?

It is. It is! But for Mike, it kind of makes sense. It's the most distant possible way that he could do it.

The pacing and build-up to that is so counter-intuitive to the pacing of television in general, where everything is, "We're going to explain as we go along. We're gonna hold your hand. It's gonna be easy." You guys don't do that at all. Do you actively talk yourselves away from explanations while things are in process? Or is it instinctive at this point?

We still talk about how much to explain. We want stuff to be mysterious, but we don't want it to be confusing. We're never trying to intentionally confuse the audience to the extent where they have no idea of what's happening or how something was done. We're always talking about, "What's the perfect amount of information where it doesn't feel like spoon-feeding, but it also makes sense in hindsight when you go back through the episode?"

Mike tossing the shoes onto the wire ended up being either intentionally or unintentionally an homage to Walter throwing the pizza onto the roof. Do you talk about those linkages in the writing process? Is it a directing decision?

We always knew he was gonna toss those shoes. I don't know if we ever actually brought up the pizza tossing. Some of that stuff really comes to us in hindsight. It's not necessarily there intentionally when we're doing it. John Shiban, who directed the episode, had a really specific idea of how to sell that, because those wires are exceptionally high, much higher than a roof. It's difficult for anyone to land those shoes over the wire, so it was definitely heavily technical in the conversation, making sure it was effective, but also something that could be pulled off at the same time without having to do too much trickery.

What trickery had to be done finally?

There's stunt work, there's Jonathan tossing, there's his stunt double tossing and there's a little CG marrying of shots in there.
I talked with Vince and Peter a couple weeks ago and they each weighed in on their own sympathy or lack thereof for Chuck, when he has genuine compassion for Jimmy and when he's just being an asshole. Where do you come down on what he's saying in this episode when he tells Jimmy that this was all done for his own good?

I feel like Chuck believes that when he says it, which is the worst kind of asshole, being "I know better than you and you're gonna thank me in the end." I feel like that's so much more wounding than, "You screwed me, so this is what happens" or "I was doing this just to hurt." When someone says, "I'm doing this just to hurt you," at least you know where they stand when they're saying it. "I'm doing this to help you"? Eh. It just feels so much worse. I have sympathy for Chuck. I think he's just very, very self-deluded. I think this is a guy who's just not being honest with himself and his intentions, which I think is ultimately very tragic.

Obviously if you have a character who's a villain, you're always going to understand their motivations and have some sympathy, but in your mind has the degree to which Chuck is the villain of the piece, has that shifted since when you started?

He's definitely grown as we've gone alone. I don't think it's intentional like, "Let's make him more and more villainous as things go along." It's more like, "Given what we know about this character, how would he react to what's going on with Jimmy?" Then there's his fatal flaw of insisting on seeing Jimmy as a bad guy and not seeing the potential for good in his brother that really is what drives him, so when you're working with someone that has that kind of a flaw, the villainy in their desperation naturally increases as things escalate. We try to build it really organically. He just ended up becoming more and more villainous, because I guess that's the story we're telling. It's sad! But who are the people who can wound you the most? It's the people who are closest to you.

Haly

I mean, it's shit, but a ton of people believe such things deeply as part of their religion.
Yeah this is a good point. It's out of the scope of this thread but this characterizes racial tension between White America and Black America, where the group of privilege sets up barriers for the oppressed group, and then justifies their oppression by their failure to overcome those barriers.

Veelk

Banned
This was true in Season 1 and 2 but no longer true in Season 3. To me, Chuck is pursuing vindication and will only be satisfied by the destruction of Jimmy's career in law, if not his outright incarceration. This is not "teaching" him anything. This is revenge, plain and simple.

....and you say this having actually heard Chuck's entire speel in the opening of the episode before the cop came to take Jimmy away?

Like I said, I don't disagree that vengeance is a part of it, but there's yet to be a moment where Chuck actually abandons his integrity to screw over Jimmy. When THAT happens, then you can say he's participated in hypocrisy and is just out for blood.

Self preservation, in so far as business is concerned, frequently overrules morality, generally to the detriment of society. To say "it's not a moral quandary, it's just self preservation" is precisely the rationale businesses use to fuck over the disenfranchised, embodied in BCS by the conflict between Chuck and Jimmy.

First off...disenfranchised? Have you seen Ernie's car? Something tells me he's doing alright.

Second, the difference between the situation you imagine and whats actually happening is that Ernie is an actual, real detriment to Chuck's enterprise, both in the HHM sense and the interaction with another human being sense. Ernie will sabotage him if it means helping Jimmy, who he's working against. He's proven this. He's already covered up a felony. He'd be a liability for whatever case Chuck works against him.

I don't know how else to say it. It is not wrong for Chuck to fire Ernie when Ernie has screwed him over, and trying to paint it as the big bad corperate lawyer stepping over the little guy is really...wierd at this point. That is so far from whats happening here.

Believe it or not you have actually taken a side in this and it's Chuck's. There are people in this thread who feel Chuck's actions can only be viewed through the lens of morality, and refusing to do so shows where your priorities lay, which is why Chumley called you amoral. I don't agree with it but I can see the reasoning behind it. You're coming off as heartless, regardless of your intent.

Believe what you want, but I'm not on anyone's side. I enjoy BCS, as I enjoyed BB, not because I particularly want one side to succeed against hte other, but because I enjoy following all their stories. I have plenty of emotional investment in the series, but no bias.

And as far as interpreting the work, I'm on the side of rational assessment, if anything, of being able to watch a thing, be entertained and enthralled by it, but not let it get to my head so bad that I'm making an argument over how a dude is wrong for not trusting someone who repeatedly lied to him.

Yeah this is a good point. It's out of the scope of this thread but this characterizes racial tension between White America and Black America, where the group of privilege sets up barriers for the oppressed group, and then justifies their oppression by their failure to overcome those barriers.

Is this sarcasm?

Haly

....and you say this having actually heard Chuck's entire speel in the opening of the episode before the cop came to take Jimmy away?
I feel like Chuck believes that when he says it, which is the worst kind of asshole, being "I know better than you and you're gonna thank me in the end." I feel like that's so much more wounding than, "You screwed me, so this is what happens" or "I was doing this just to hurt." When someone says, "I'm doing this just to hurt you," at least you know where they stand when they're saying it. "I'm doing this to help you"? Eh. It just feels so much worse. I have sympathy for Chuck. I think he's just very, very self-deluded. I think this is a guy who's just not being honest with himself and his intentions, which I think is ultimately very tragic.
Don't death-of-the-author me bro. I already felt this was true before I read this tidbit. Chuck is not a kind person. He believes in the law and duty, not a higher morality.
Is this sarcasm?
No?

Veelk

Banned
I mean don't death-of-the-author me. I already felt this was true before I read this tidbit. Chuck is not a kind person. He believes in the law and duty, not a higher morality.

I mainly use death of the author when a person tries to tell me an interpretation of a work is invalid because the author said so and so, not when trying to prove that an interpretation is valid.

And I don't even disagree with that particular interpretation. The only thing I disagree is the idea that it's either-or. That either Chuck is genuinely only wants the best for his brother or he just wants him to suffer. I say it's both, simultaneously. He wants him to suffer and takes personal pleasure in it, but truly does believe that it's for the best.

I do agree that Chuck is deluded in thinking that he is some Knight Errant only out to do Jimmy good, but that doesn't mean that his belief that this will help Jimmy is inauthentic. So, even if Chuck is deluded, that doesn't prove to me that he's "All about revenge" now, as you say.

Regarding that interview:

I said to my wife, after Mike takes a few tries: "Walt got the pizza on the roof on the first try!"

Also, this quote kinda sums up everything we've been saying about Chuck

If Chuck were straight up for revenge and up-front about it, I'd respect him more.

Haly

I do agree that Chuck is deluded in thinking that he is some Knight Errant only out to do Jimmy good, but that doesn't mean that his belief that this will help Jimmy is inauthentic.

Er but this is the delusion. How can a delusion be authentic?

I think this is probably a semantics thing so I'm not going to push this any farther.

Nekofrog

Banned
My psvue dvr messed up and they played the last 3 minutes of the episode at the beginning of the episode while it was still airing on the west coast. It was so so weird hearing about this deal that I hadn't seen happen yet

Veelk

Banned
Er but this is the delusion. How can a delusion be authentic?

No, the delusion is that he isn't in it for some personal vengeance. He is. But personal vengeance can align with sincere belief that his actions will turn Jimmy into a better man. This isn't even the first time it's come up. Chuck constantly goes "I Love you, but you are a total fuck up" whenever he's confronted on his feelings, and he hasn't contradicted himself in that yet.

So yeah. He wants Jimmy to suffer out of personal resentment AND because he genuinely believes in his moral beliefs that people should not take shortcuts and should suffer consequences when they try. There has yet to be a situation where he acted in the mutual exclusion of one over the other. The closest was that time where Jimmy offered to blackmail him out of law. Which he didn't take.

Amazing cinematography once again. Especially loved when Chuck was talking to his lawyer in the darkened room, with the sun shining directly on him like some kind of "holier than thou" being. Perfect.

What I didn't like though was the Andrea and Brock cameo...Brock must have only been like 6 years old in Breaking Bad so he probably wouldn't even be born in the canon of this show, and if he was he'd be a baby.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_a6s2q2z96w0g88ckc4kogokc8_640.jpg

Yet another victim.

Amazing cinematography once again. Especially loved when Chuck was talking to his lawyer in the darkened room, with the sun shining directly on him like some kind of "holier than thou" being. Perfect.

What I didn't like though was the Andrea and Brock cameo...Brock must have only been like 6 years old in Breaking Bad so he probably wouldn't even be born in the canon of this show, and if he was he'd be a baby.

Eh? That wasn't them was it?

Haly

No, the delusion is that he isn't in it for some personal vengeance. He is. But personal vengeance can align with sincere belief that his actions will turn Jimmy into a better man. This isn't even the first time it's come up. Chuck constantly goes "I Love you, but you are a total fuck up" whenever he's confronted on his feelings, and he hasn't contradicted himself in that yet.

You've misread either me or the quote from the interview.

What I'm saying, and what I think Vince is saying:

Chuck's Delusion: I'm a dutiful brother and lawyer, and I will hurt Jimmy to help him in the end.
Chuck's Reality: I'm a resentful brother and lawyer, and I will destroy Jimmy for presuming to invade my domain.

Top Bottom