• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

This post is extremely foolish for a number of reasons

1. Microsoft has arguably the best online infrastructure in the industry although we can argue all day whether or not it's worth $60 a year. The millions paying a subscription voted "yes" with their wallets. Sony offered PSN for free while they built up a network that has proven it can compete with Microsoft and now they charge. I don't pay for it but millions do because they believe it provides value. Nintendo has proved nothing but incompetence with their online gaming strategy so why the hell would I want to pay for what will most likely be a stripped down service compared to the competition? They are already making us download a smartphone app for voice chat which is idiotic.

2. PS4/XBO controllers are not $60-$75, if you think that you clearly don't own either system or are too lazy to shop around online. I can get both for $50 at retail and even cheaper often because they go on sale unlike Nintendo products.

3. Trying to argue Switch has a robust library by comparing it to the Wii U in 2016 is laughable. Nintendo hardly showed anything remotely interesting other than Zelda. 3D Mario is due Holiday 2017 but we all know it's probably getting delayed to 2018.

4. Stop looking at $300 in a vacuum and making fun of people who think it's $50 to expensive. Have you considered how much it will cost when buying a game or two, paying for online, buying an extra controller for your friend/loved one? What about those in other territories that have the price jacked up even more? You have no right to lambast people over what they consider too expensive.

5. The Nintendo victim complex needs to stop. Nobody is holding a grudge or jealous of the Wii U. It failed because nobody cared about it outside of hardcore Nintendo fans defending questionable decisions on message boards and deflecting all criticism. They are making a lot of the same missteps Wii U had: Hardware that's underpowered and too expensive, alieniating western 3rd party developers, expensive controller...and now add on paid online and ridiculous accessory prices. We have every right to be skeptical and it has nothing to do with hating Nintendo.

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't pull a "everyone complaining wasn't going to buy one anyway" one liner.

Thank you. Covered up pretty much everything I think about it... I could not have said better. You were right on point, well said.

RowdyReverb

Heh...

Complex question.

Right now, I think it will have less success than Wii U. The console is lacking a "target", maybe even more that it predecessor.

Also, I don't know how much the idea of pricing it as a "premium" thing (look at the prices of the accessories) will work, it is the exact opposite of what Nintendo did with Wii.

They have to hope that something is triggered and Switch starts to be considered "cool" by the masses, otherwise I think it will only sell to die-hard Nintendo fans (and we've seen how much of them are outside there by looking at Wii U numbers...).

Also, maybe sending the message that this is replacing the 3DS (and releasing Pokémon on it) could help, yet I see the price tag as a barrier to that.

Not actually thinking it will be a success, in terms of sales.
That's really the crux of it and things like that are hard to predict. If they can make a killer app like Wii Sports that goes shockingly viral, the thing could take off. I think it's still a bit early in the game to call it, but some of the aspects of the launch smack of Wii U

hampig

I think it will do well, but not Wii well for sure.

My whole Facebook wall is blowing up with casual fans excited for Zelda and Skyrim on the go. Gaf hardly represents the world. I realize my Facebook wall doesn't either, but I think it has wider appeal than people here seem to believe.

Im surprised to see all the negativity here. What did you guys expect? Its the combination of everything theyve done.

I see it doing well from day 1. Not Wii good, but very good. That much i am certain.

Zelada game at launch and mario within the holiday? sold out everywhere guaranteed.

jdforge

Banned
Before th conference I thought it would sell really well. After the conference I personally have zero interest in purchasing one and I've bought every Nintendo device at launch.

The price is pushing it, in a major way.

Portability aside (the market is softer than ever and for the segment that loves it still, kids, the price and perceived durability, are a challenge.) It's still a factor in value but will focus on home use.

For serious home use, the machine needs an SD upgrade and Pro controller, imo. In CAD the base machine is listing at $469, the Pro controller by extension will be ~$100 and add about $50 for a 128gb SD card.

This makes it one of the most expensive consoles of all time.

I'm the target and even as a Nintendo instabuyer, I'm like "damn man." I know at least two older family members who wanted to jump on a switch (I had recommended holding off on Wii U due to switch being close), I doubt they will at this price.

Since the console has 2 controllers and can be played anywhere, the following packs at 300$ would fly of the shelves:

1) Switch + Fifa
2) Switch + Madden
3) Switch + Nba 2k

But would Nintendo stop being stubborn and allow those types of packs? If they do the Switch can sell gangbusters.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This almost feels like a "soft launch" to me. Barren launch lineup but the lineup as a whole may be decent by the time Mario hits the shelves. Advanced online services are free and only in certain regions... until around the time Mario is meant to come out.

I dunno. I just don't see the logic in them not waiting a bit longer for more games to be ready. How often are consoles released this time of year? They'll probably blow out marketing and have a bundle deal this holiday season that makes early adopters go "dude c'mon wtf?!"

It's a handheld. Nintendo's narrative is going to change the second the 3DS dies. Mind you, they also said that the DS wasn't the successor to the Gameboy either. They adjust their view for whatever it's convenient at the time.
Why do you keep holding on to the notion that it's a handheld when the Switch website calls it their next home console that has a portable mode and Nintendo did the same multiple times in their presentation? It's like people have Trump complex where if they say something false long enough they start to believe it.

It's a hybrid but I think they're leaving the door open for a 3ds successor. Seems to big to be a dedicated handheld and battery life is poor.

This conference has been utterly disappointing, with bad news after bad news. I really hope they are able to turn it around. After all, the 3DS also launched at an excessive price, but they were able to slash it and dominate the handheld market later on. If they can pull this off with the Switch, it can still be a success.

Easy to dominate the handheld market when you're the only player and your competitor tapped out.

Tigress

Ok, I think if they got third parties they might be fine. But I agree with people that with 32 gb internal storage they aren't going to get them. And pricing themselves to be competing with two machines that do get third parties and already have a large library is going to fail them.

They need to get third parties or they need to price themselves in a way that it's easy to justify them as a supplementary machine just for their games. I won't even ask they price themselves as a handheld as I know that's a bit much to do while trying to be good enough for a console but it seems it is closer to a handheld than console. That's why 250 would be a better price. Yeah it's only 50 but it's optics. It's also only 50 more than what most people want to pay for a handheld, not 100 more.

They're making the same big mistake they made with wii u. And adding in pay for online with an insulting concession (play ancient games that you only get to for one month).

Sad cause I liked the idea and if it got third parties I would have been interested. Hell, if it was priced cheaper and got Pokemon and monster hunter I might have been interested. It was a nice concept but I think they flubbed the implementation.

Rezae

No it won't. It's going to be slow out of the gates. I don't think the public will view it as much of a handheld, but more a console. If that's the case it's way too expensive compared to the value you'd get on say a PS4, especially on the software front. I think they really needed to find a way to hit that $199 mark.

I kind of feel they should have focused on a pure handheld and as far as consoles go at this point, just release a $99 "NES NEXT" or something, and develop 8/16/32 bit style retro and indie games, like a real SMB4, Adventure of Link 2, etc. (I know that's my old man retro voice in my head talking, but I'm skeptical that the public will embrace this "hybrid", and at this point handhelds and nostalgia seem to be their strengths).

Im surprised to see all the negativity here. What did you guys expect? Its the combination of everything theyve done.

I see it doing well from day 1. Not Wii good, but very good. That much i am certain.

Jack of all trades master of none....The software lineup is barren with almost no third party support,and it's overpriced, it's pretty easy to see why it is seen as bad.

ironcreed

Banned
My bold prediction is that it will sell better than Xbox One

Skip-Bayless-Looks-at-Camera-Shakes-Head.gif

It's a handheld. Nintendo's narrative is going to change the second the 3DS dies. Mind you, they also said that the DS wasn't the successor to the Gameboy either. They adjust their view for whatever it's convenient at the time.
I
Hell, if it really a "console" it would have been in a even worse state. A console with this shitty specs, more expensive than other current gen consoles with a lot more power and much bigger library?

Basically, I have the feeling they keep claiming itns a 3rd pillar in case the thing bombs hard. And it will. At this price, it's not going anywhere.

Korigama

Not at $300. With its current software lineup, no pack-in game, having paid online like PS4/XB1, and being marketed as a console specifically, I have no reason to believe that it'll perform any better than the Wii U as things are now. I certainly don't see 8-10 million sales by the end of the year as being realistic, more probable if a significant portion of that were to come from Japan treating it as a portable that's also a console there as Nintendo seems to be hoping they'll do, absolutely not if regarded as a console first like everywhere else (Wii U is at less than 3.5 million sold there as it is).

Hex

Banned
The problem is again, Nintendo could have created an amazing handheld or an amazing console but instead made a mediocre both in one.
Stop the gimmicks, Return to greatness please Nintendo

I think that it does GameCube/XBox numbers, 22-25M WW over its lifetime, and then we are back here in four years waiting on its successor.

Uh...yeah. about that.

The gamecube selling 20 million was only acceptable because the profits from the DS were propping up Nintendo during that period.

There is no DS or GBA to help Nintendo ride out another failed platform. If the switch does 20 million units that's the end of Nintendo in the hardware business, outside of putting out NES Classic like units at budget prices.

I do, but it's going to take awhile.

I think Switch is the start of a new, very long-term ecosystem for Nintendo.

This is what I think.

The architecture and design give them a lot of options with various form factors down the line. I also think it will be a big success in Japan with the RPG's, Splatoon 2, etc...

I feel like they had every opportunity to get this thing right after a very interesting first reveal. I was watching this morning's broadcast literally with wallet in hand. But yeah, then they messed a lot of important stuff up.

Biggest issue for me is that they still don't seem to understand where their Wii users have gone and how likely it is they're coming back.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
This post is extremely foolish for a number of reasons

1. Microsoft has arguably the best online infrastructure in the industry although we can argue all day whether or not it's worth $60 a year. The millions paying a subscription voted "yes" with their wallets. Sony offered PSN for free while they built up a network that has proven it can compete with Microsoft and now they charge. I don't pay for it but millions do because they believe it provides value. Nintendo has proved nothing but incompetence with their online gaming strategy so why the hell would I want to pay for what will most likely be a stripped down service compared to the competition? They are already making us download a smartphone app for voice chat which is idiotic.

2. PS4/XBO controllers are not $60-$75, if you think that you clearly don't own either system or are too lazy to shop around online. I can get both for $50 at retail and even cheaper often because they go on sale unlike Nintendo products.

3. Trying to argue Switch has a robust library by comparing it to the Wii U in 2016 is laughable. Nintendo hardly showed anything remotely interesting other than Zelda. 3D Mario is due Holiday 2017 but we all know it's probably getting delayed to 2018.

4. Stop looking at $300 in a vacuum and making fun of people who think it's $50 to expensive. Have you considered how much it will cost when buying a game or two, paying for online, buying an extra controller for your friend/loved one? What about those in other territories that have the price jacked up even more? You have no right to lambast people over what they consider too expensive.

5. The Nintendo victim complex needs to stop. Nobody is holding a grudge or jealous of the Wii U. It failed because nobody cared about it outside of hardcore Nintendo fans defending questionable decisions on message boards and deflecting all criticism. They are making a lot of the same missteps Wii U had: Hardware that's underpowered and too expensive, alieniating western 3rd party developers, expensive controller...and now add on paid online and ridiculous accessory prices. We have every right to be skeptical and it has nothing to do with hating Nintendo.

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't pull a "everyone complaining wasn't going to buy one anyway" one liner.

Pretty much sums it up for me, going to play the wait and see game a little while longer before making my decision.

entremet

The problem is again, Nintendo could have created an amazing handheld or an amazing console but instead made a mediocre both in one.
Stop the gimmicks, Return to greatness please Nintendo

This looks way better than any handheld they could've made.

People are used to bigger screens these days and tablet form factor was a smart design choice.

Mihos

Gold Member
It will come out strong as hell, die off quickly due to shortages, probably have a large holiday bump..... then pretty much fade into the background by next January with a few little ripples at games slowly trickle in at maybe 1 good one per quarter.

It will get a lot of fans hopes up with it's launch numbers at least

Honestly just looking at the situation as objectively as you can. A console that's underpowered and overpriced compared to the already established competition, with Wii U ports people already didn't buy on the last failed console. A handheld that's very expensive with $60 games I assume. Releasing right alongside mass effect and horizon. With very little in the way of third party support except poets of old games like street fighter 2 and bomber man.

I mean

What about any of this makes you think this will be a successful

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think we will see a PS3-esque turnaround where the system is laughed at, but once their teams pick up the pace and a price cut is made, 2017 will be fire and units will begin to move.

That would be a nice best case scenario. I'd be happy to see it happen, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to be optimistic.

burst

The '1,2 switch' game fell flat and is no 'Wii sports'.

So will mainstream audience care about this?

Is it too expensive for the mainstream?

How much impact does limited third party support have?

Will it be a success in Japan?

Who is this for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom