• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware if you're purchasing the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for the d-pad

Dessa

Neo Member
pokken.jpg

The Pokken Tournament controller is ugly, but I will be elated if that thing works on other games. I just want me a nice dpad.

iphys

Got mine back for the second time from Nintendo today. First thing I do is go to the input test feature in the menu. Press left and it registers as up.

Great.

I'm considering just trying to mod it to work myself

I feel you. At first I thought it was just bad luck getting a bad D-pad at launch and I'd have a working Pro controller in no time, but it's such a disappointment every time I get another defective controller. I've had whole weeks where I didn't even play my Switch because of it, and I wish this problem would just go away.

I wouldn't try to mod it yourself. Don't want to mess with the warranty in case it is actually the circuit board and not something simple that can be fixed. I heard other people that risked doing that one person's conductive pad trick didn't have such good luck with getting it to actually work. If the fix were simple Nintendo surely would have just fixed them all by now like they did with the left Joy-Con.

Nerrel

Well, technically if you just keep sending back the replacement till they fix it, the warranty never runs out, so I'm not sure why it would be necessary to fork out another US$70 if they ever do fix the problem. Everyone should just keep sending them back to force them to actually do something about the problem.

Yeah, but if they haven't discovered a fix for the problem by now with a fairly substantial number of people sending for repairs over this, I don't think there is a simple fix. They were on top of the joycon foam issue right away. Plus, there's the risk that you'll get a controller that's even worse, since they seem to have a fair amount of variation.

I said fuck it and dissembled mine tonight just to see if I could figure out why one direction would work perfectly fine while the others don't. I noticed that the way the cross and pad are arranged can make a small difference when putting the controller back together, which suggests to me that the pad is the problem. The person who did the pad mod used a Wii U Pro pad and claimed the issue was resolved- I'd guess that cutting the hole out isn't what helped, but using a different pad. Maybe the black contacts on the Switch pad are lower and touch the board more easily than on the Wii U pad. The people saying that they tried the mod and that it didn't work seem to have used the Switch pad. I'd attempt the mod if I could find a Wii U Pro pad cheap enough. Amazon has what look like the classic controller pro pads for $3, but I don't know if those are interchangable.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven't noticed any erroneous inputs with mine when just using it normally, but I certainly can make it happen by just rocking my thumb a bit.

iphys

Hmm, I just got sent an online order number and looked it up and it's another Pro controller they're no doubt sending me to replace the one I sent in for repair. In the past they never sent me a new order number and just went with the original repair number when they replaced the Pro controller. This is like 2 weeks after I sent it in and they haven't even shipped it out yet, so maybe just maybe they've done something to address the problem with the new stock and that's why they're taking so long this time. Either that or they only finally figured out their Pro controllers have a widespread problem and are just trying to buy some time with the slow turnaround to reduce the number of times I'll keep sending the controller back to them.

iphys

Got Pro controller number 5, and it's got a defective D-pad and both C-sticks again too, sigh. Weird thing is because they sent out a new controller as an online order rather than as a replacement for my repair, they didn't bother taking the USB cable out of the box this time, so I now have 2 USB cables. Well, now I can't say they haven't given me something extra for my troubles, lol.

Against my better judgment I bought one of these hoping I wouldn't have the issue, and it only took an hour of playing Shovel Knight to start getting bad inputs. To be completely honest, I don't really like this controller that much to begin with. The buttons (D-pad aside) and sticks are great but I'm not a fan of the way it fits in my hands. And the Joycons, well...the less said about the Joycons the better.

I'm left without a satisfying input method for a console I'm actually pretty fond of so far. And the Wii U Pro Controller was so good. It's very frustrating.

me0wish

I find the Wii U Pro has a superior dpad and layout, hopefully it will eventually get supported, or a revamped pro gets made.

iphys

Yeah, the faulty Pro controller has really ruined the Switch experience for me. I bought the Switch just to play Puyo Puyo Tetris, and the Pro controller to have a proper D-pad to play it with, but it's just so gutting every time I get yet another defective one that I don't even want to play the system for a couple weeks each time because of it. Oh, and Nintendo wants me to send in my Switch for a 2nd time because they still don't believe I could have gotten 5 defective Pro controllers in a row without it being my Switch even though their repair people keep verifying the problem with each controller.

I'm tempted to try one of the DIY fixes floating out there on the internet. I'm pretty convinced this is more of a design flaw than a defect, so I don't really want to play the repair game with Nintendo. Won't be my first time doing a minor hardware mod. I'll report back here with the results when I get around to it.

me0wish

I'm tempted to try one of the DIY fixes floating out there on the internet. I'm pretty convinced this is more of a design flaw than a defect, so I don't really want to play the repair game with Nintendo. Won't be my first time doing a minor hardware mod. I'll report back here with the results when I get around to it.

Can you please give me a link?

MutFox

Banned
There are good and bad d-pad's?
Is there a way to find out which version you're buying?

Have Nintendo acknowledged the issue?

I find the Wii U Pro has a superior dpad and layout, hopefully it will eventually get supported, or a revamped pro gets made.

is there a reason why it isn't supported yet? other than switch pro con sales?
maybe a different (outdated?) bluetooth protocol?

Did anyone test out the Splatoon 2 Pro’s d-pad? I assume it hasn’t change at all?

I sent mine for repair last week, Nintendo is replacing it for a new one. Should receive it today.

ramparter

Banned
Initially I thought it was because of the missing features (hd rumble, nfc..) but it's not like the other 3rd party options support those either. Probably they just want to sell more of their new Pro pads.

Neoweee

Mine felt like I had a breaking-in period. I noticed a lot of bad registers in the first few days, and then nothing bad after about 5-10 hours of use.

Eradicate

I bought an 8bit.do SNES Controller for all things 2d on the Switch. It is an awesome controller

I haven't bought the Pro Controller yet because, well, I like the joycon grip fine enough! But, I am definitely intrigued by the 8bit.do controllers, especially the SNES one. It's nice to hear you really like it!

How hard is it to get it working on the Switch? I also do some computer gaming every now and then (I'm on a Mac); would the same controller work fine for both? I currently use a Logitech thing, but it's not my favorite at all. (I guess I don't like super deep handles too much normally? Plus, the buttons are a bit stiff.) Also, would any of their other controllers (I think they have an NES one?) work just as easily with Switch/computer?

Thanks for the input!

HorseFD

Did anyone test out the Splatoon 2 Pro’s d-pad? I assume it hasn’t change at all?

I'm also waiting to hear about this. I'll buy one if the issue is fixed, but until then Puyo Puyo Tetris is completely unplayable unless I use the Joy-Con or my 8bitdo controller.

Joqu

I bought a pro controller for splatoon 2 and played some rounds of the tetris demo without any issues. It doesn't feel like a particularly great d-pad mind you, which is disappointing coming from Nintendo, but no weird inputs so far. Is there something particular I should test to see the issue or does this mean I'm good?

Pila

Well, PPT works well with four separate buttons anyway imo. We could use your opinion about a fighting game or a platformer. :)

Joqu

Well, PPT works well with four separate buttons anyway imo. We could use your opinion about a fighting game or a platformer. :)

Hm. I'm afraid I don't have any of those yet. I'm rather curious about the diagonals, those do feel really awkward but I don't know if they'd register in a weird way. I did some mashing in the calibration tool as recommended in this thread and I didn't see any weird inputs there either. I wonder how widespread the issue is, reading through this thread I'm sort of doubting I got some magical issue-free controller, but I'm not lying when I say I haven't noticed anything weird... yet.

I might look into connecting it to my PC tonight. I've got plenty of platformers to test with on there.

Anyway, this d-pad does feel way worse than the DS4's imo, so that's a bummer. But I love the feel of the sticks so I think it'll serve my Splatoon purposes.

Pila

I tried the pro controller (not the Splatoon one) in a demo station and I'm sure it's a great gamepad for Splatoon :) thanks for your impression, keep us updated if you try it out with some other game!

Kneefoil

Mine felt like I had a breaking-in period. I noticed a lot of bad registers in the first few days, and then nothing bad after about 5-10 hours of use.

I've had a longer, more literal breaking-in period. Worked pretty much perfectly in the beginning, but now when I release an input, the controller thinks I'm still holding down on them. This isn't just the D-pad either; ZR does this as well.

It's a very good controller when it works, but obviously needed more testing before it was released.

Mine works perfect. Still gonna grab a Splatoon 2 Controller to upgrade though.
Want that colour.

Side note: It is easily my favourite controller this gen (Switch/XBone/PS4) with no problems in the 130hrs I've racked up on it.

I bought a pro controller for splatoon 2 and played some rounds of the tetris demo without any issues. It doesn't feel like a particularly great d-pad mind you, which is disappointing coming from Nintendo, but no weird inputs so far. Is there something particular I should test to see the issue or does this mean I'm good?
That's my experience. But I never got the praise Nintendo got for their dpads Sara's were always better except for the dreamcast one.

HotHamBoy

That's my experience. But I never got the praise Nintendo got for their dpads Sara's were always better except for the dreamcast one.

Nintendo D-Pads are hit-or-miss.

NES - (the first!) Shit
Gameboy/Color - Great
SNES - Great
N64 - Okay
Gameboy Advance - Okay
GameCube - Awful
Gameboy SP - Solid
DS Phat - Solid
GB Micro - Great
DS Lite - Good
Wii Remote - serviceable
Wii Classic Controller/Pro - Great
3DS Series - Serviceable
Wii U Gamepad - Great
Wii U Pro - Great
Switch Joycons - Non-existent
Switch Pro - Shit

Full-circle.

Pandy

I am honestly starting to feel like I have just been having the worst luck with Nintendo lately. Had a really bad experience with the first year DualShock 4 controllers (analog peeling) too.
I think I've already used my Switch Pro Controller beyond the point at which my DS4 started failing.

Another data-point of okay d-pad here. My friend is a big Tetris fan, and he had no issues playing with it at all.

EDIT: There's no way the d-pad is 'shit' tier. At all.

Joqu

So yeah, I've been using it some more and still no wrong inputs. Unless it kicks in later it seems I really am good, so fine Switch Pro d-pads do appear to exist?

Regarding the quality of Nintendo d-pads, I'm of the opinion that the ones that matter the most range from good to great, HotHamBoy's list is pretty accurate. (NES I'll excuse because it's such an early one.) I wouldn't call the Switch Pro Controller D-pad shit though, it's more in the "servicable" Wii Remote tier to me. Which would be worse than the Wii U's, so it absolutely is a pretty great downgrade.

So still disappointing if you're buying a Pro Controller for the lack of a d-pad on the Joycons of course, I guess it does matter a little more here. I think I'll look into 8bitdo's controllers once those retro Nintendo games start hitting the Switch. :s

Sony's always used to be iffy imo, but the Vita d-pad is just lovely and the DS4 one is pretty great too. Funny how that goes.

Anyway, I really do like this Pro controller. Very comfortable to me, sleek design, general button feel is pretty great too and I sort of adore the sticks. I don't see myself playing Splatoon 2 without it unless I'm on the go.

HorseFD

So yeah, I've been using it some more and still no wrong inputs. Unless it kicks in later it seems I really am good, so fine Switch Pro d-pads do appear to exist

Are you using the new Splatoon 2 Pro Controller, or the regular black one?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
If you're looking for a good pro controller dpad, try hori's. It puts the switch pro controller's dpad to shame, I was stunned how much better it was.

Looking at the internal pictures, this is definitely a design flaw, not a manufacturing defect. Some may of course be worse than others, but there is undoubtedly a speed at which there would be problems for everyone.

Really depends on the game you're using it with and the speed at which you push the buttons.

Forgot this was a thing...

I ordered the Splatoon version of the Pro yesterday. I hope they fixed things on their end, but I'll definitely be mindful of inputs (I play Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman a lot).

At least that tape fix above seems easy enough. Thanks for the link.

me0wish

Looks like a brilliant solution, might try it this week end, thanks!

iirc Nintendo said that they might support Wii U peripherals. Third party controllers and some Wii U accessories are already compatible, I don't see any technical reason for Wii U controllers not being supported.

I'm curious if the Splatoon 2 edition of the pro controller has the issue too. Anyone know?

It does, tested two pro controllers.

NES - (the first!) Shit
Gameboy/Color - Great
SNES - Great
N64 - Okay
Gameboy Advance - Okay
GameCube - Awful
Gameboy SP - Solid
DS Phat - Solid
GB Micro - Great
DS Lite - Good
Wii Remote - serviceable
3DS Series - Serviceable
Wii U Gamepad - Great
Wii U Pro - Great
Switch Pro - Shit

Full-circle.

Yeah, I agree with the micro and the Wii classic controller, they were pretty good.

NES - (the first!) Shit
Gameboy/Color - Great
SNES - Great
N64 - Okay
Gameboy Advance - Okay
GameCube - Awful
Gameboy SP - Solid
DS Phat - Solid
GB Micro - Great
DS Lite - Good
Wii Remote - serviceable
3DS Series - Serviceable
Wii U Gamepad - Great
Wii U Pro - Great
Switch Pro - Shit

Full-circle.
Don't N64 and SNES have the exact same dpad?

Top Bottom