• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware of 4K UHD Blu-ray on non-HDR sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC0101

I have an xbox one s and the same TV as the OP. The Revenant in 4k did not have washed out colors at all and was super clear. Sounds like the player may be the issue?

OMG you're my hero.

Not like the TV shows you instructions after the update.

The precise UI flow though is HOME/settings/external inputs/hdmi signal format/
Oh, I wasn't at home and was going off memory. I hope it didn't throw you off too bad.

Is it working correctly now?

SURGEdude

Reminds me of the digital combing feature on early 90's Laserdisc players when exporting via S-video. The results were so bad that after only a few years of progress any new TV would do a vastly better job itself using composite.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh, I wasn't at home and was going off memory. I hope it didn't throw you off too bad.

Is it working correctly now?

Oh don't worry, without your instructions I'd be sitting in blissful ignorance, I wasn't so much correcting you as giving more precise instructions for others in the thread trying to do it. The UI is super counter intuitive in some ways, especially the schism between the Sony/Android bits of it.

Working perfectly.

Nipo

Early adoption of new technology before the standard is set is always risky. 2017 sets I think are the year to get. Hdr and 10 bit panels should be starred for all price ranges.

I have the 2015 4K Braiva series with UHD and Im not too worried about it.

I'll pick up the NEO or whatever they call it and play 4K Blu Rays on that.

Oh don't worry, without your instructions I'd be sitting in blissful ignorance, I wasn't so much correcting you as giving more precise instructions for others in the thread trying to do it. The UI is super counter intuitive in some ways, especially the schism between the Sony/Android bits of it.

Working perfectly.
I wonder if it's just easier to update the android side...

I have the 2015 4K Braiva series with UHD and Im not too worried about it.

I'll pick up the NEO or whatever they call it and play 4K Blu Rays on that.
Don't forget to set your HDMI inputs to enhanced mode so you get the full HDMI 2.0 feature set.
If it's a 850c or higher you also get HDR if you've updated your firmware.

Robot Pants

Holy shit!!!!!!
I was so depressed the last couple of days because I was certain i had the 2014 850c model.
And when I bought the TV the Sony rep who sold me on it never once mentioned the words HDR, even though he told me 4K blu Ray are definitely coming out at the end of 2015.
HDR wasn't even a term I knew about when I bought his tv last year. So with the recent talk of HDR and seeing this thread, I was getting worried because this wasn't something I had planned around. All I knew, was 4K content was finally about to become a regular thing and I was looking forward to 4K Blu Rays. I figured with the TV I was gonna be set.
So once Neo was announced I figured it was going to have 4K playback and id have an all in one box for my wonderful new tv. If not, then I'd just buy a player.
So my plan was all set, then I read this thread, and look at the comparisons and how big of a deal HDR really is and I start to get really depressed because for some reason I thought I had the 2014 model.

Well I just check the Info settings on my tv and I have the 2015 and I couldn't be happier. I thought I wasted a ton of money on a 4K tv that I really couldn't take advantage of.

Holy shit!!!!!!
I was so depressed the last couple of days because I was certain i had the 2014 850c model.
And when I bought the TV the Sony rep who sold me on it never once mentioned the words HDR, even though he told me 4K blu Ray are definitely coming out at the end of 2015.
HDR wasn't even a term I knew about when I bought his tv last year. So with the recent talk of HDR and seeing this thread, I was getting worried because this wasn't something I had planned around. All I knew, was 4K content was finally about to become a regular thing and I was looking forward to 4K Blu Rays. I figured with the TV I was gonna be set.
So once Neo was announced I figured it was going to have 4K playback and id have an all in one box for my wonderful new tv. If not, then I'd just buy a player.
So my plan was all set, then I read this thread, and look at the comparisons and how big of a deal HDR really is and I start to get really depressed because for some reason I thought I had the 2014 model.

Well I just check the Info settings on my tv and I have the 2015 and I couldn't be happier. I thought I wasted a ton of money on a 4K tv that I really couldn't take advantage of.
Have you done the firmware update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom