• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4Central Rumor: New Battlefield 4 details from wallpaper leaker [Updated]

That combined with the "most of the weapons and vehicles from BF3 will return" kind of dropped my interest a bit.

I mean, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear.

Really deflated my interest,
had been hyped since I got the premium version at Christmas.

Looking forward to it, BF3 is one of my most played games this generation.

Say what you want about map size, but by the end of BF3 + Premium they have supplied more than enough variety for different play styles. I imagine them going towards more small maps is a reflection of what people are playing vs COD chasing for the sake of it.

Apath

I am a little disappointed with same number of maps + more of them being close quarter maps. I was kind of hoping for more than 3 large maps (like Kharg, Firestorm, and Caspian).

Lingxor

I hope they put some more effort into classes. Engineer always seems to be the most played even on maps without armor.

BC2 had a better balance.

Salsa

I hope they put some more effort into classes. Engineer always seems to be the most played even on maps without armor.

I think the balance isnt THAT bad. Engineer is the most played because it's the easiest one to use, but it's by no means the best IMO.

rhn94

Banned
even though i'm supposed to be jumping on the hate wagon, i'm going to wait until they actually show the game and confirm the rumors

Doesn't sound like it'd be too difficult to skip if/when the EA shenanigans start getting unearthed.

I haven't really stopped playing BF3 for any larger amount of time, so if this isn't a particularly big change then I don't know that I can get too excited about it. Bigger focus on close quarters would be further deflating. I'm hoping they'll go the opposite direction and increase the scope.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Shipping with same amount of maps as BF3, there are plans for lots of DLC.
Will ship with more close quarter infantry maps than BF3

Fuck. Me. Come on, if you're going to make more close quarter maps, at least do more maps. That means less big scale maps. :(

But the rest sounds good for me. Even new writers! Hallelujah! Even Call of Duty had a better campaign than BF3.

mr_nothin

Banned
More of an evolution? Well if they go with client side hit detection again, i'm not even going to bother. If they do server side then I'll consider it.

More close quarter maps with the same amount? Blaaahhh, why not just include more close quarter sections in the bigger maps? We need Metro to be apart of a LARGER map instead of being a one off map. I want to see a map that meshes the diff scales of Metro, Seine Crossing, & Davamand Peak. They dont need to make diff maps that are diff scales, they need to combine them and make large maps that include everything from those, on the macro and micro scale. That is what I want from battlefield

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So at launch we'll have even less BF-type maps and the ratio pushed even further toward CoD.

Sounds great. :eyeroll

Makoto

Maps are larger and more detailed.
Will ship with more game modes than BF3
Frostbite 2 engine is pushed further in BF4. Better effects, higher res textures, more detailed game worlds, etc.
I would expect nothing less.

Shipping with same amount of maps as BF3, there are plans for lots of DLC.
DLC is already in planning stages.
Battlefield 4 Premium will be available on day one and include some perks.
Most of the guns and vehicles from BF3 will return.
Game is more of an evolution rather than revolution of the series. Both technically and gameplay wise.
Will ship with more close quarter infantry maps than BF3
Battlelog will be updated for Battlefield 4 with more social features.
Single-player will return, new writers involved this time.
All this shit however makes me want to barf.

sp3000

It's going to be a recycled BF3 with some new additions. Anyone expecting much innovation with a 1 year development is going to be disappointed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And the writing was the very least of BF3 SP problems. The writing wasn't even that bad. It was the fucking campaign and everything to do with gameplay that was the problem.

But hire different writers, that will fix it.

RoKKeR

These are from JBO, the guy who originally posted the description of the leaked artwork and later leaked the full wallpaper. He's been in the know for BF4 the last week or so.

yKm.png

zKm.png

0Km.png

1Km.png

Found in these tweets: #1, #2

J-Rzez

Engineers had the easiest time of dealing with vehicles, and that's why most people rolled them I believe. Hell, it's why I use the class most often. If vehicles are left unchallenged by your team, then enjoy losing badly. I hope they tone down vehicles slightly against infantry this time around, especially helicopters.

Derrick01

Banned
So they're shipping with the same amount of maps but at the same time there are more closed in, smaller maps that no one wants. So essentially to most people the game may as well be shipping with less maps if all this is true.

SJRB

Gold Member
So they're shipping with the same amount of maps but at the same time there are more closed in, smaller maps that no one wants. So essentially to most people the game may as well be shipping with less maps if all this is true.

Perhaps the Close Quarters dlc sold exponentially more than the others? I mean, there must be a reason for Dice to keep pushing the close quarters infantry combat [aside from trying to snag the COD players, I suppose].

I think the balance isnt THAT bad. Engineer is the most played because it's the easiest one to use, but it's by no means the best IMO.
Vehicle health regeneration and anti-air falling more to the engineer because of the lack of fixed AA meant that you needed a higher proportion of engineers than in BC2. Probably wasn't too big a problem on the PC, but it was pretty annoying on the 360.

Salsa

This sounds nothing more than an expansion. Why not just release it for BF3 instead?

Three factions
classes with “additional features and tweaks”
More squad features.
Commander feature returns
more game modes than BF3
Frostbite 2 engine is pushed further in BF4
more social features and more detailed stats.

I agree with a lot of the criticism here and im still skeptical about the whole thing (though my friends are there so I know im going in), but calling it an expansion might be a bit much.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Vehicle health regeneration and anti-air falling more to the engineer because of the lack of fixed AA meant that you needed a higher proportion of engineers than in BC2. Probably wasn't too big a problem on the PC, but it was pretty annoying on the 360.
Jets mean that you don't need AA to keep choppers out of the sky, and they'd rather dogfight each other than strafe infantry. BC2's air balance was so unbelievably broken.

Also, the AA vehicle is ruthless.

RoKKeR

This is what I find to be fishy about the article. Almost back to back they say "infantry centric maps" and "maps are larger".

But it's all starting to sound the same to me, honestly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I agree with a lot of the criticism here and im still skeptical about the whole thing (though my friends are there so I know im going in), but calling it an expansion might be a bit much.

Yeah, to me it sounds like a typical 2 year dev cycle sequel. No enormous changes but a good evolution with some new features.

JJD

They said maps are bigger.

I think they meant that they will probably have a bigger infantry focus not that they are going to be smaller.

Think aftermath maps instead of armored kill maps if you played the game.

Aftermath maps were decent sized and still had vehicles but because of the geography infantry play was encouraged.

I'm particularly fine with this.

Keasar

I am not falling for "Premium" again. It was completely overcharged and didn't deliver nearly as much as I thought it would.

Also, singleplayer? Again? Cause that went down really well other than being a spectacle to look at.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

To be fair, outside of the engine upgrade, Battlefield 3 wasn't exactly the world's most revolutionary Battlefield sequel.

J-Rzez

Perhaps the Close Quarters dlc sold exponentially more than the others? I mean, there must be a reason for Dice to keep pushing the close quarters infantry combat [aside from trying to snag the COD players, I suppose].

That's very possible. Perhaps if not just sold the most, but also they tracked it and it's the most played as well? Finally, maybe they're going to try to break into the dreaded "eSports" segments.

RoKKeR

I think they meant that they will probably have a bigger infantry focus not that they are going to be smaller.

Aftermath maps were decent sized and still had vehicles but because of the geography infantry play was encouraged.

Shit, that for some reason didn't come to mind. I love the maps in Aftermath, they have great design and are a hell of a lot of fun to play. If this is what they mean by infantry (urban, China, Shanghai, makes sense) then I'm fine with it.

Also, this conception of close quarters/infantry not being what Battlefield is all about is bullshit. I agree it shouldn't be the only focus of the game, but there is certainly room for it. The Close Quarters expansion was actually
much better than expected.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This would be a great compromise for longtime BF players and the newer fans. Aftermath had awesome maps.

Top Bottom