• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BFI: 50 Films Your Kids Should See By Age 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

OH! wait wait wait wait.. Who Framed Roger Rabbit!? One of my all time favorite movies, and loved it since a child. The scene where the cartoon that starts it ends and the movie begins was just amazing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Without The Mouse and His Child, Hugo the Hippo, and The Secret of NIMH, no childhood is complete.

Also, yeah, I saw Aliens when I was ten and loved it to death. This list seems to underestimate the tastes of youth.

Boogie9IGN

I remember this one animated movie I used to watch ALL the fucking time as a kid, I think it was called Rockin' Rooster or something.

J2 Cool

Boogie9IGN said:
I remember this one animated movie I used to watch ALL the fucking time as a kid, I think it was called Rockin' Rooster or something.

rock_a_doodle_1.jpg

Another Don Bluth film. He really impacted a lot of kid's lives. Anyway, another great kids movie is A Goofy Movie. It was surprisingly really good when I first seen it. A really well done father/son tale.

Star Wars and no Empire!?!?

Also where is Stand By Me?

Edward Scissorhands was a nice touch. Definitely more kid-friendly than Marey Shelley's Frankenstein.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Requiem For a Dream.

The idea of about 90% of children that age sitting through a subtitled movie ("if I wanted to read I'd go read a book, this is why I don't read, GOD") is kind of a pipedream in my opinion. I did about that age, and a number of my friends did, but we were a minority and usually were the ones who got made fun of by everyone. Seems like a pretty good list, though, I just glanced over it. It's good it isn't a bunch of mindless shit. Let's teach kids something, eh? Because obviously teaching them to be morons, or teaching them nothing, isn't doing it.

Flynn

I think the point of this list is to name some movies that aren't already being shoved down your kids' throats.

90% of these flicks won't pop up on TNT or HBO, they're the kind of things you have to seek out.

Good stuff.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Kes (1969) - Gritty working class British drama"

oh YES.

Amazingly good film - especially for us Northerners :)

the football game in P.E. is f*cking great!

"and it's a slightly balding Bobby Charlton to take the penalty..."

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I really, really hate The Princess Bride.

Granted, it's a bizarre little film -- perhaps a bit annoying at times for some, but nothing truly bile-inducing... some folks like it, some don't get it, but it's not the kind of film that makes you want to slash away at the screen with a sharp blade.

However... when you hear the same 15 "witty" lines from the film, repeated day after day after day... you snap. My friends in college (and high school) were nice enough folks, but they seemed to always have this unhealthy obsession with quoting The Princess Bride (and Monty Python skits). This resulted in me turning from viewing the film with a sort of nonchalant eye to wishing fiery death upon all those involved in its production.

I'm slowly making recovery... the hatred I bear for TPB, MP, and Star Trek: The Next Generation will eventually fade. I watched Monty Python's The Holy Grail (or whatever title that thing has) just a few months ago, and was amazed that I found myself with no desire to impale the DVD player with a bread knife.

Rlan

Do you mean they keep quoting Monty Python songs? [ie; Oliver Cromwell, Eric the Half-a-bee, Finland, etc etc]?

I love those songs :)

Rocket9

In that list I only saw Indiana Jones (classic) and Star Wars (hated). Guess I was too busy watching the Mighty Ducks and Ninja Turtles movies

I saw a bunch from the suggestions though so im not all that bad

Shinobi

J2 Cool said:
OH! wait wait wait wait.. Who Framed Roger Rabbit!? One of my all time favorite movies, and loved it since a child. The scene where the cartoon that starts it ends and the movie begins was just amazing.

Agreed...that's required watching. Sadly the Disney/Touchstone of today would've probably fucked this one up.

Jonk

Where the Hell is The Goonies.

I mean, DAMN, that movie defined childhood.

And what the heck, what about Stand by Me???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom