• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

teepo

Rapha all day everyday. Mostly Pro Team kit with some vintage Classic line and City collection stuff.

I have some Castelli kit left over from my pre-Rapha days, and the original Gabba Jacket and Nanoflex warmers are still going strong. I also have a pair of the high end dhb winter tights that I love, and one of their packable rain shells which I replaced with a Rapha pack jacket.

i went ham during the rapha sale and grabbed a pair of pro and lightweight bibs (among other things) and i don't see them as being any better than the lg course or castelli free aero bibs i own. if anything, the lightweight bibs have a little bit too much cushioning for me though they might need to be worn in some and the pro bibs straps are oddly short despite having sized up. if they weren't 60% off, i'd be pretty annoyed given the premium price tag.

despite all that, they are quality kits that are equally as good as anything i own but now that i've personally used them for a lil over a month now, i personally find it hard justifying their msrp. they are great looking and feeling kits though

the one thing i do love though is that the stitching is already coming apart on my lightweight bibs (which is a very delicate kit) and i know rapha will replace or repair it free of charge. i'm not even stressing

kottila

i went ham during the rapha sale and grabbed a pair of pro and lightweight bibs (among other things) and i don't see them as being any better than the lg course or castelli free aero bibs i own. if anything, the lightweight bibs have a little bit too much cushioning for me though they might need to be worn in some and the pro bibs straps are oddly short despite having sized up. if they weren't 60% off, i'd be pretty annoyed given the premium price tag.

Pro cyclists are tiny elves
Samuel_Dumoulin_(Tour_de_France_2008_-_stage_3).jpg

Winter is finally retreating! Tomorrow I shall go out on slicks. Hopefully I'll live.

This also means mtb is right out for a couple of weeks as the trails are full of mud and mud covered bits of stubborn ice.

Teggy

Winter is finally retreating! Tomorrow I shall go out on slicks. Hopefully I'll live.

This also means mtb is right out for a couple of weeks as the trails are full of mud and mud covered bits of stubborn ice.

We've got snow today and a big storm coming Monday.

Addnan

So tempted to test out some Chinese carbon wheels, but man. Scared I am going to die. Any safe bets? But seeing as 3 shimano wheels exploded for Team Sky the other day who knows what won't crumble anymore.

My favourite theory is that since it was only Sky's wheels that had issues, they clearly had been modified for a hidden motor.

edit: personally, I would only use big brand carbon wheels. Most of the benefit is looking posh anyway. Also I fear death.

T8SC

So tempted to test out some Chinese carbon wheels, but man. Scared I am going to die. Any safe bets? But seeing as 3 shimano wheels exploded for Team Sky the other day who knows what won't crumble anymore.

Any wheel can fall apart, I've seen a "big brand" one do it and also seen a Chinese copy wheel do it... however there'll be a larger risk/chance of the Chinese ones falling apart.

Teggy

Forgot to take my bike in last weekend to get the rubbing rotor checked out. For the hell of it I just turned the pad adjustment 3 clicks and that fixed it. Now if it would only stop snowing so I can try it out :)

I bought a set of Ultegra wheels and immediately thought that build quality doesn't get better than this. I wish Shimano made an aero version of their ust rim.

The NAHBS is going on and the Marin Museum is there with a set up of vintage bikes. For those of you who don't remember, or forgot, about the 90s and mountain biking here's a bike that sums up everything:

1993-MBS-Clark-Kent-fat-bike-HQ-1-1024x683.jpg

That's a Klein prototype(?) from 1992 where they were going for a fat bike, but fat bike rims were clearly not a thing then. So they're two standard wheels wielded together.

80km on slicks for the first time this year. Was hard, I've got a long way to go before that 200km brevet. I seriously need to get a trainer for the next winter. Maybe not buy silly upgrades for a while.

On the plus side, gels sure were tasty.

Just joined the ranks with a Schwinn. Tell me I didn't make the biggest mistake of my life going with it?

It was $299. If you know of any other bike I should look at instead for that price, please hit me up. Looking for a road bike primarily, although I like the hybrid functionality of this one.

I'm 6'2" for reference. Got a 28"

Addnan

Any London people in here. I wanted to ride along CS3 and got completely lost.. After Poplar reach a security gate and then I was just what. Where do I go.

JPKellams

despite all that, they are quality kits that are equally as good as anything i own but now that i've personally used them for a lil over a month now, i personally find it hard justifying their msrp. they are great looking and feeling kits though

the one thing i do love though is that the stitching is already coming apart on my lightweight bibs (which is a very delicate kit) and i know rapha will replace or repair it free of charge. i'm not even stressing

The old lightweight bibs had defects in the elastic band and will all be replaced free of charge.

The straps being short are for two reasons (the classic straps aren't as short), 1) pro cyclists are tiny elves 2) the straps are meant to pull you down into a tucked riding position. I'm actually a big fan of the cytech chamois Rapha uses, but more interested in the new chamois for the series II bib line.

Just joined the ranks with a Schwinn. Tell me I didn't make the biggest mistake of my life going with it?

It was $299. If you know of any other bike I should look at instead for that price, please hit me up. Looking for a road bike primarily, although I like the hybrid functionality of this one.

I'm 6'2" for reference. Got a 28"

What kind of a Schwinn is it? There's loads of different models on their site.

I just wish it was easier to find chamois sizes when reading about bibs. The problem I often run into is a slightly off chamois because of my large bum. I think I found a solid one in OrNot, but need to give it a 4-6 hour test to be sure.

JPKellams

I just wish it was easier to find chamois sizes when reading about bibs. The problem I often run into is a slightly off chamois because of my large bum. I think I found a solid one in OrNot, but need to give it a 4-6 hour test to be sure.

BioRacer chamois are diaper-sized if you need larger chammy.

JPKellams

Thinking of buying a DAHON MU UNO foldable bike when I go to Japan so I can take it in trains

Yay or NAY?

Nay. Even folded they need to be put into bags to be taken on trains. If you can ride a train to the destination, you can probably get their just as easy on the bike. For longer distance travel, a Rinko (bike bag for trains) and a full size bike is an easier option.

Also, before all the Jimmy non-sense starts, expect crossbike or roadbikes only. MTB is not really a major thing here outside of some places in Nagano.

I almost bought a folding bike for when I began commuting by train. That was up until I saw one folded up in person and realized how comically big they still are.

gillty

Banned
Kei-car rental like nbox is cheap enough, to transport a real bike, to not need folding bike in Japan. Most folding bikes are still too large to be convenient for any train travel imo.

JPKellams

Kei-car rental like nbox is cheap enough, to transport a real bike, to not need folding bike in Japan. Most folding bikes are still too large to be convenient for any train travel imo.

That and they still need to be put into a carrying bag for any public transport. So you have to carry a bike bag with you at all times.

kottila

The one bike that can do everything
ddjnnw1461560539847.jpg

According to the ad text it has both 26inch and 700c wheels. Airsuspension fork, disc brakes and aero wheels. The seat tube looks rad as well.

The one bike that can do everything
ddjnnw1461560539847.jpg

According to the ad text it has both 26inch and 700c wheels. Airsuspension fork, disc brakes and aero wheels. The seat tube looks rad as well.

I'll never stop finding seat angles proportionate to the drop funny. Because all it makes think is the owner going:

I need to have some drop, but I aint flexible so angle that seat!

0OoO0

Does anyone here have any experience with Canyon Mountain Bikes? I am interested in getting the Grand Canyon 9.9, but there is a lack of reviews online...

The road bike beckons this weekend, but I'm afraid of what road grit might do to Conti GP4000s. There's still sizable deposits left on my route, and the cross bike's tyres were absolutely shredded last weekend.

teepo

The DC Rainmaker review has it looking very promising. I like that you get actual OSM data and can sync via WiFi or Bluetooth for mapping & routing. Tempted to try and sell my Edge 510 for it.

wow, i just finished "reading" the dcrainmaker review and wahoo has it out the ball park. it does everything the edge 520 does on top of including turn by turn navigation, quick routing through your phone and wireless syncing with dropbox, which could potentially save me money in the long run.

the only reason i subscribe to strava premium is because i'm too lazy to manually upload my workouts from the edge unit to golden cheetah and i'm not serious enough to drop money on trainingpeaks. now that strava has lost their partnership with zwift (2-months free for premium users), i'm finding it harder and harder to justify the cost of laziness. stravistax is rather nice though

i will immediatly sell my edge 520 if wahoo somehow ends up supporting garmin's varia radar system, which will most likely never happen

wow, i just finished "reading" the dcrainmaker review and wahoo has it out the ball park. it does everything the edge 520 does on top of including turn by turn navigation, quick routing through your phone and wireless syncing with dropbox, which could potentially save me money in the long run.

the only reason i subscribe to strava premium is because i'm too lazy to manually upload my workouts from the edge unit to golden cheetah and i'm not serious enough to drop money on trainingpeaks. now that strava has lost their partnership with zwift (2-months free for premium users), i'm finding it harder and harder to justify the cost of laziness. stravistax is rather nice though

i will immediatly sell my edge 520 if wahoo somehow ends up supporting garmin's varia radar system, which will most likely never happen

I can't imagine Garmin opening that up for others. It took them years to allow auto-upload to strava.

Teggy

I have to admit I saw it initially on GCN and then saw an ad on Facebook and read the specs and then wound up watching the DC Rainmaker stuff last night after I had already bought it LOL. I think I will like not having to keep my phone charged on my bars and it also is much easier to pop off than getting the phone out of the case. The turn signal LCDs are also a nice touch. Wahoo says that it will be able to control the Tacx trainers later this year, but DCR said they said the same thing last year, so not holding my breath. There are plenty of other options for things like that anyway.

I also nearly bought a Stages FSA power meter last night but managed to decide to wait a few months :D

Top Bottom