• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Back from the Midnight Marathon ride. Just to make things interesting, some rain was added to the forecast this evening. There was a lot of scurrying for jackets and vests, but it didn't last long. I stayed in shorts and jersey for the rest of the ride and it was fine. What was not fine was the rear flat I got about 3 miles into the ride. Flats tend to happen to me at really inopportune times. This meant most everyone passed me so the ride to the start was pretty lonely. I made it to the start pretty much right at midnight and the ride back was much better. Tons of riders the whole way and an easier ride, which didn't hurt. This is only the 5th year they've done this and they've managed to get help from the police and a huge crowd of riders.

Night riding was very cool, I enjoyed it. But I really need riding friends :(

Finish line:

Night riding can be really fun, just make sure to have a good set of lights, and clothing with some reflective elements as well.

What was the cause of your flat? What psi do you run your tires?

Teggy

Night riding can be really fun, just make sure to have a good set of lights, and clothing with some reflective elements as well.

What was the cause of your flat? What psi do you run your tires?

I've been running right around 100 psi on 25mm tires. I didn't see anything in particular that caused the flat but there was a lot of grit on the road loosened up by the rain so there could have been something in there. I'll take a closer look at the tire today in better light.

Bike-GAF, I'm thinking it's finally time to upgrade from my 4-year old Trek 1.2. I've ridden enough that I know it's not just a passing hobby, so I think it's time for a proper upgrade.

So, my big question is, do I buy new or used?

Obviously used saves a lot of money and, since my budget is ~$2000 USD, any way I can stretch those dimes I'd love to. Though new is, well, new. No worries about part life or how the bicycle was treated.

Bike-GAF, I'm thinking it's finally time to upgrade from my 4-year old Trek 1.2. I've ridden enough that I know it's not just a passing hobby, so I think it's time for a proper upgrade.

So, my big question is, do I buy new or used?

Obviously used saves a lot of money and, since my budget is ~$2000 USD, any way I can stretch those dimes I'd love to. Though new is, well, new. No worries about part life or how the bicycle was treated.

Check with local shops. You can usually find something kicking around there or is an older model.

I've been running right around 100 psi on 25mm tires. I didn't see anything in particular that caused the flat but there was a lot of grit on the road loosened up by the rain so there could have been something in there. I'll take a closer look at the tire today in better light.

Check the tube and the tire casing to find where/what happened. :)

Addnan

The Strava estimated power is beyond fraud. How did they work this out... Now I know estimated power is not accurate but same track, higher average speed. How do they work out the power difference..

1. 60.6km at 26.3km/h = 238w average power

FGaSa9ul.png

2. 54.6km at 27.3km/h = 218w average power.
zlnK7WZl.png

T8SC

The Strava estimated power is beyond fraud. How did they work this out... Now I know estimated power is not accurate but same track, higher average speed. How do they work out the power difference..

1. 60.6km at 26.3km/h = 238w average power

FGaSa9ul.png

2. 54.6km at 27.3km/h = 218w average power.
zlnK7WZl.png

Does it take elevation into the equation? There's 300m difference between the two, even though its the same course.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hello!

Does anyone in Canada (GTA) know where to buy Specialized bikes?

I'm looking at the Rockhopper 29 in particular.

That looks like a fun bike. Should put some pedals on tho, would work better ;)

Indeed. That is just a good photo of the model I could find online.

I will throw the same pedals that go on all of my bikes: MKS Lambda's

mks-lambda-pedals.jpg

Hello!

Does anyone in Canada (GTA) know where to buy Specialized bikes?

I'm looking at the Rockhopper 29 in particular.

Specialized has a dealer locator on their site:

Bike Depot

Wheels Of Bloor

Cycle Solutions

I am also a Specialized dealer, happy to offer any insight/advice. :)

I'm supposed to go on a 200km road ride this Saturday, but the forecast has it pissing down. I'm not sure I have the kit to survive a 10h ride with heavy rain at 5C temperature.

Karish

Got this beauty on craigslist this weekend. Guy built it this February but is moving to Germany. Critical Cycles Harper. $125. May not be my end-all bike but its enough to get me back on track (pun intended).

blog_Critical-Cycles-Harper-1.jpg

Teggy

I bought some replacement disc brake pads but for some reason it never crossed my mind there would only be one set in the package XD

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
As the title says, I'm traveling to the old continent and I have decided to take my bike with me. I was hoping that there wouldn't be many issues, as my bike is light and foldable. But reading some articles, some airlines will charge extra for (any?) bicycle!? Even if it fits inside my (big) trunk? At most I was expecting a surcharge for weight.

Does any of you fine folks have experience with this?

Had to sell my MTN and hybrid bike because in relocating to Pittsburgh, im looking at the giant contend 3, you guys think that would be a good commuter bike? Since im finally moving to a city instead of a small suburb I was hoping to use a bicycle around town instead of a car

frontieruk

Had to sell my MTN and hybrid bike because in relocating to Pittsburgh, im looking at the giant contend 3, you guys think that would be a good commuter bike? Since im finally moving to a city instead of a small suburb I was hoping to use a bicycle around town instead of a car

Solid bike, i have the Claris chainset on my cyclo-cross commute/pub bike and though not a smooth as my roadie the gear range is wide enough to do my daily commute on and vary it with different grade hills etc though the jumps between some cogs are a bit large but you adapt quickly.

My old hybrid had the same wheelset and though a bit heavy they felt bomb proof.

Addnan

i would like to stretch to the sora spec if possible. claris is clunky as fuck. you would probably want some mudguards, so check if there are mounts or you would need to use something more like the sks raceblade, they are ok but proper guards are better. also rack mounts if you would need luggage.

Laekon

How far is your commute? I think a good quality hybrid would be better.

Mascot

200k of rain, sleet and hail done. I didn't think it possible to suffer so much.

Jakonovski, heads up - I think PT has hacked your account.

I'm relatively injury-free now after many months of recuperation and careful training. It's been a long road but I managed a few actual outdoor rides in the past couple of weeks with only minor reactions. Yay. It's so nice going from this...

13_zps3ymkdaxp.jpg

...to this...

12_zpsoghxrv1w.jpg

Fresh air! Daylight!

It goes beyond just my account. I spent several hours last night thinking why anyone would voluntarily do something like this.

Also I'm jelly of your spring. We have nothing but cold misery. Trees aren't even leafing out.

frontieruk

i would like to stretch to the sora spec if possible. claris is clunky as fuck. you would probably want some mudguards, so check if there are mounts or you would need to use something more like the sks raceblade, they are ok but proper guards are better. also rack mounts if you would need luggage.

What's clunky to you may be fine within someone else's expectations, he should go take it for a test ride see how he feels about the gearing and gear selection, the worst I've experienced with my claris is I wish I had my 105 selection just for the transitional jumps between some of the gear ranges, not because oh its sooooo much more silky smooth on my legs for marginal gains.

I'd agree with you on a hybrid for city commuting the more upright position gives you a better view of the traffic.

Oh and wb mascot

Mascot

The cyclist's nemesis

I have to navigate a level crossing to and from my local woods if I take in the coast path, and because it's the main Cardiff-Bristol line it's pretty busy. If trains are close together then the barrier can stay down for around ten or fifteen minutes to let more than one pass. This feels like an absolute age.

Just bought my first bicycle this weekend, at 33 years old! I got a 2017 Giant Contend SL Disc 1. I did a ton of research on bikes and cycling itself, and felt prepared to make a large investment in something that would be nice and last me a long time. I have high-end gear too for a beginner haha. I hadn't sat on a bike since I was probably 14 years old, and that was a mountain bike so this is all new territory for me!

I took it out with a friend yesterday for a few miles on a paved trail around a lake. As a beginner, the only thing I struggled with was mounting and dismounting the first few times. My gears were also clicking oddly at first, so I set everything to easiest and it seemed to reset them. Obviously I have a lot more to learn. It was a great experience, though. I'm so happy to be a part of this world now.

I have a few questions, though:

1. How can I tell what size tires my rims can accommodate? Nothing helpful on Giant's website. I want something more rugged so I can do the Katy Trail which is gravel.

2. My butt bones are sore today. My bike came with a lower-end seat ($50 Giant Contact Forward), and I noticed I could upgrade to a nicer version ($175 Giant Contact SLR Forward). I'd have no problem spending the money if it meant more comfort. However, maybe my posture would be better off with a neutral or upright seat. How can I tell? I'd like to stick with Giant brand for the saddle, btw. I also noticed they have a saddle with a hole in the middle ($48 Flow 1 Mens) that supposedly relieves pressure. There are also some really big saddles that look comfy. I did read something about avoiding cushy saddles because they make your soft tissue sore. Any suggestions?

3. How many tire levers do I need in my saddle bag? I would think just one but every kit comes with at least two. You don't ever have to use them together at the same time, do you? Right now I'm carrying around 1 lever, 1 spare tube, 1 CO2 cartridge and inflator. Anything else I absolutely need for repairs?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Did a 35 mile round trip yesterday. The first major bike ride for me of the year and only the start. The trail I took goes much farther so I'm hoping that when I'm in better shape I can do the entire loop which is probably close to 60 miles. Goal for the end of the summer. Still feels good to get back out there even if my legs are sore as hell today.

Addnan

Just bought my first bicycle this weekend, at 33 years old! I got a 2017 Giant Contend SL Disc 1. I did a ton of research on bikes and cycling itself, and felt prepared to make a large investment in something that would be nice and last me a long time. I have high-end gear too for a beginner haha. I hadn't sat on a bike since I was probably 14 years old, and that was a mountain bike so this is all new territory for me!

I took it out with a friend yesterday for a few miles on a paved trail around a lake. As a beginner, the only thing I struggled with was mounting and dismounting the first few times. My gears were also clicking oddly at first, so I set everything to easiest and it seemed to reset them. Obviously I have a lot more to learn. It was a great experience, though. I'm so happy to be a part of this world now.

I have a few questions, though:

1. How can I tell what size tires my rims can accommodate? Nothing helpful on Giant's website. I want something more rugged so I can do the Katy Trail which is gravel.

2. My butt bones are sore today. My bike came with a lower-end seat ($50 Giant Contact Forward), and I noticed I could upgrade to a nicer version ($175 Giant Contact SLR Forward). I'd have no problem spending the money if it meant more comfort. However, maybe my posture would be better off with a neutral or upright seat. How can I tell? I'd like to stick with Giant brand for the saddle, btw. I also noticed they have a saddle with a hole in the middle ($48 Flow 1 Mens) that supposedly relieves pressure. There are also some really big saddles that look comfy. I did read something about avoiding cushy saddles because they make your soft tissue sore. Any suggestions?

3. How many tire levers do I need in my saddle bag? I would think just one but every kit comes with at least two. You don't ever have to use them together at the same time, do you? Right now I'm carrying around 1 lever, 1 spare tube, 1 CO2 cartridge and inflator. Anything else I absolutely need for repairs?

review on road.cc says you should be able to get a 28mm tyre in there.

don't run off and buy a saddle just yet. you have not used a bike in a long time so give this one a bit of time. your back side might need to just adjust to it and after a while it should get better. make sure the saddle height is set correctly. can find some youtube videos for an approximate idea.

2 tyres levers. some tyre rim combinations can be a bit annoying so two is good. and plastic. and yes you do often have to use them together. Like so:

QKTL4C_Park_Tool_Tyre_Levers_In_Use.jpg

multitool is a good idea to have aswell, for any minor adjustments like saddle height on brakes on the go. Personal preference, I like a mini pump in my jersey pocket over co2 cannisters because scared I would mess it up and then i'll really be stuck.

Top Bottom