• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

rje

I'm a relatively new rider trying to use cycling to get into shape - been doing 60 minute rides a few days a week since march and just started to add in 90 minute rides last week. Towards the end of the 90min yesterday I felt my tailbone 'pop' and while it doesn't feel like it's currently dislocated, it is sore as heck. (relevant note: I was also trying out a new seat that was harder than my old seat and while there was some discomfort it didn't feel excessive at the time. Lesson learned, listen to my body)

So, I'm off the bike for a bit until this feels better. I guess I should use the time to read up more on proper bike posture! Very frustrated though, really felt like I was making good headway and getting into a routine.

ShapeGSX

You're way more than prepared for a century. I know people who will just go do them with barely any consistent riding. Pacing and fueling is the most important part.

Thanks! We are going to try to finish it in under 5 (moving) hours. With 5 people in our group and only 2300ft of climbing, I think we can do it.

Uhh...

p5pb15050071.jpg

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/structure-cycleworks-linkage-fork-crankworx-whistler-2017.html

Teggy

I hopped on Zwift tonight for the first time in a long while (and remembered to plug in my trainer this time :p) The terrain simulation is a neat thing. Dirt doesn't feel that great, but the wooden bridges are pretty spot on.

I passed a runner, which was a funny surprise.

Ensirius

A friend of mine let me borrow a bike.

I have been doing 35 km rides 3 times a week

This is so much fun to take the bike into the woods on the little paths. I end up being exhausted by 9 pm but it feels so damn good.

I might need to pick one of my own.

Teggy

Ah, must not be on my Kickr Snap. I don't really need simulation of boards, just give me that 8% gradient feel and I'm ok

Yeah, I only know of it on the Tacx neo. They added in via firmware a while back so I guess they were planning ahead. I think it's mostly for fun but it seemed like the resistance went up during those portions. I don't know if it was psychological or real, though.

-SG

A friend of mine let me borrow a bike.

I have been doing 35 km rides 3 times a week

This is so much fun to take the bike into the woods on the little paths. I end up being exhausted by 9 pm but it feels so damn good.

I might need to pick one of my own.

You absolutely do. My first real bike was a life changing purchase.

I'm watching the XCO World Championships. Riders of wildly different skill levels on a World Cup track, it's crash city. I feel voyeristic.

I'm watching the XCO World Championships. Riders of wildly different skill levels on a World Cup track, it's crash city. I feel voyeristic.

There are still a surprising amount of "roadies" doing XC races, despite the technical stakes being significantly upgraded of late.

Fitness is one thing, but if you can't handle proper descents, you shouldn't be there.

Teggy

I wonder if ebikes will basically kill Strava rankings. It will still be good for tracking your own progress, but whenever there is a way to cheat, you know people will do it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, what can I do to stop my internal gears change chain from becoming offset? Its happening like once every two weeks.

Spanglo

Neo Member
I wonder if ebikes will basically kill Strava rankings. It will still be good for tracking your own progress, but whenever there is a way to cheat, you know people will do it.

They definitely have the potential. When I started commuting to work by ebike I crushed over a half a dozen KOM's in the first week. I had just started using Strava, so I wasn't hip to how everything worked. After that first week I just made all my activity private so I didn't show on any leaderboards.

frontieruk

I kind of feel like Strava is killing Strava

Success is killing Strava, when these things are small the communities are great and the honour codes are adhered too, as they grow the new members don't join the community so honour codes get lost and the community splits looking for the next cool app.

teepo

lol strava. it doesn't matter if you're using a garmin or wahoo unit, strava will parse the data and calculate kom's based off their own algorithm. in short, instead of using the speedometer, they will calculate speed based off of gps data. this is why you sometimes see those impossible kom's on the shorter segments, specifically climbs.

i overheard some club riders talking about setting unusual kom's during the huge solar flare that knocked out gps communications on wednesday

so yea, strava is killing strava.

Also been around people who talk about KOM's like it's a job and it just made me hate everything. If you care about some leaderboard then go race. You begin to suck the fun of out riding a bike when all you do is focus on a virtual leaderboard where the leader is determined from some algorithm where all participants are not equal

teepo

kom chasing makes group rides way more fun when it's the same set route each and every week

though i haven't seen too many as of late try to tackle kom's in the more popular segments. those are already well set in stone

Teggy

kom chasing makes group rides way more fun when it's the same set route each and every week

though i haven't seen too many as of late try to tackle kom's in the more popular segments. those are already well set in stone

It's nice that they break things down by clubs you are in and stuff, though so you don't have to worry about the whole world of riders.

Gray Matter

3 months ago I had no intention of even attempting riding 100 miles, didn't think it was possible... Just did my fourth century today.

Keep at it guys, you'll be surprised what you're capable of.

My main problem is having to "peak" twice this year. If I don't get back into it, this year's BB200 (which will probably take me 20+ hours) is going to be hell on earth.

Teggy

Well, I did it! My first Century was 100mi in under 5 hours. 20.6mph average. Had a great group of 8 friends to ride with. We did end up dropping one guy towards the end. I actually don’t feel too bad right now!

The course was actually hillier than COVAC. 3843ft of climbing. Not awful, but TFCE is definitely not the Flattest Century In the East. Lol

https://www.strava.com/activities/1178125509/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1505083919

I rode the seacoast century last year. It's flat as a pancake. Definitely much flatter than tfce. If it wasn't for the wind, which can really wear on you, It would be the century I would recommend for first timers in NE.

Gray Matter

Well, I did it! My first Century was 100mi in under 5 hours. 20.6mph average. Had a great group of 8 friends to ride with. We did end up dropping one guy towards the end. I actually don’t feel too bad right now!

The course was actually hillier than COVAC. 3843ft of climbing. Not awful, but TFCE is definitely not the Flattest Century In the East. Lol

https://www.strava.com/activities/1178125509/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1505083919

Awesome job, under 5 hours is impressive.

Now come to CT and do the tour of the Litchfield hills next year, hills upon hills non stop.

ShapeGSX

Awesome job, under 5 hours is impressive.

Now come to CT and do the tour of the Litchfield hills next year, hills upon hills non stop.

You make it sound like so much fun. :)

How many feet of climbing?
I’m going to do the King’s Tour of the Quabbin next year that has 7185ft.

I'm a little under 500 miles for my goal on the year but I'm also just burning out. I'm not even riding that much (3-4x a week) I think it's just the routine of it all.

Top Bottom